Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Part One Ends  (Read 64483 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Everything is gone to the dogs...
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2019, 01:33:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Well done, Viktor."

Return to the gorilla with the battery. Spend the night learning how to fight from Viktor, using my pen to Chronicle my adventures so far, or sleeping.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:12:01 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Night Falls
« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »

I want to break into the bingo hall via the aforementioned air conditioner method.  If it's locked up that tight, should be a safe place to sleep.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2019, 03:30:33 pm »

Issac figured that he would stay in the Gated Community for tonight at the absolute least. He would be willing to take a turn on guard duty, though he didn't have the inclination to stay up all night. He would also take the opportunity to talk to people about the state of the world, or just about the local religion if that is all they were inclined to speak about.

Spoiler: Issac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:29 pm »

Spoiler: El Tigre Picante (click to show/hide)

El Tigre apologizes profusely. After things settle down, he decides he will spend the night here. Before looking for a place to lay his head, he asks the two some questions:
"I understand that you wish to keep information about your organization away from me, but can you tell me what is going on at least? Why does civilisation appear to have collapsed here? Is it like this all over Earth?"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2019, 06:02:12 pm »

Before I get to the end of day actions, just going to try to finish off these two active scenes:

Swamp Houses
Tim Tam stops. Like, really stops, in the exact pose they were in.
[Tim Tam rolls 6+2-1body=7]
Tim Tam freezes in place. The woman hops off her motorbike. She looks at Tim Tam's extra arm and wings. "London get too crazy for you huh?" she says with a voice like cold gravel. She unrolls a freshly printed poster. "So kid, you seen this guy?"

Despite the distorted fisheye perspective, the image on the poster is clearly an up-close shot of El Tigre Picante, the luchador Tim Tam had briefly seen wake up in Walt Labs.

"You help me find him, I'll sort you out with food, whatever."

(Your scratch has cleared, yeah. All mutants heal fast.)

Crater
Perhaps Theodore needed to start smaller. "Your legs don't work."

Lie with my Silver Tongue. Use my Whiskers to avoid any attacks while backing up to put some space between me and the bear.
[Theodore rolled 4+3+2weird=9]
[Theodore rolled 6+4+2weird+1viktor=13]
The bear's legs give away and it collapses down. As Theodore lies some more, he realises the creatures have shut off their ears to him, sensing his destructive influence. Nevertheless, he's able to use his whiskers to always stay one step ahead of them. He backs away to where Timmy stands in the bushes. Viktor hurls the terrier across the crater where it rolls and then scarpers, then he turns on the bear which is trying to roll itself forward on defunct legs.

The sun dips below the horizon and the only light is the moon.

"TIME TO END THIS THING!" shouts Viktor, as he wrenches the battery out of the bear's stomach and holds it up to the sky. The cyberbeast convulses and its roar turns into a low whine as it loses power.

All this fresh air has cleared away Theodore's hangover.

Two mutations please, let's get weird.
Palm Spines
Your hands are very adhesive. You can climb anything a spider could climb.

Radio Sense
If you concentrate you can hear radio transmission, and even send radio signals of your own.

(I'll do your first intro post when I do the next big update for everyone.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:07:59 pm by notquitethere »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Everything is gone to the dogs...
« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2019, 06:12:17 pm »

"Well done, Viktor."

Return to the gorilla with the battery. Spend the night learning how to fight from Viktor, using my pen to Chronicle my adventures so far, or sleeping.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:26:25 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Collateral Damage
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:23 pm »

Spoiler: Tim Tam (click to show/hide)
Tim Tam would do what they could to aid the woman. They did certainly know at least some minimal amount about the man after all. Most importantly, they knew where he was 2 days ago, and could certainly attempt to reason out how far he could have gone in that time.
Not to mention, this woman looked dangerous, Tim Tam was glad for that. Dangerous people made capable allies.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2019, 07:28:52 am »

Walt Lab
Nonetheless, she's going to for the night check around this building, food, a weapon, any clues to her father or others. Anything could help and she wasn't going to be able to sleep pent up like this, even if she'd personally advise her patient's to sleep anyway, preferably with some sleeping pills as an aid.

"Doubt that I'll find anything like that in this place anyway."
Name: Irma Rama
[Tasha rolled 2+1+1wits=4]
[Irma rolled 2+3+2weird=7]
Tasha searches the building but with the sun sunk low, she can't find anything of use. Just a lot of smashed offices barely lit by moonlight streaking through vine-clogged windows. Eventually, in front of her father's pod, she collapses in exhaustion and sleeps fitfully.

As the sun rises and light filters through the building, one of the closed pods hisses open. It jolts Tasha awake. Another woman steps out. Irma Rama. She pulls herself out. Her hands catch on the edge of the pod, sticking perfectly as millions of microscopic hairs extend from her palm and catch on the smooth surface of the pod. A wave of static runs through her head, like the tuning of a radio. She listens in and catches, briefly a snatch of conversation between two men:

"...due on the pier in the next five hours. Do they suspect...?"

"No, we're here for an aid package..."

And then static fading into quiet. Irma looks around. This doesn't look like where she was originally frozen and everything is so dusty.

Tasha gains +1 tally for critical failure.

The Ark
If the others think we can trust this guy, then yeah, let’s spend the night here.
Maybe I’d be able to do some repair work around the place with my engineering skills and my thumb blowtorch?

It also occurs to me that I should be asking the guys I'm with about their group...
[Amoretto rolled 6+5+2weird+1engineer=14]
[Amoretto rolled 6+5+0empathy+1keep=13]
The old man introduces himself as Gibson. "Don't get many visitors. My nearest neighbour is up in Cromer. Can't be more than a 1000 people left in Norfolk."

Gibson serves fried eggs with baked potatoes and wild salad for dinner. It's plain, but delicious after the hard day. Amoretto repays the meal by fixing a tear in one of Gibson's chicken fences, melting the wires together.

"That'll keep the foxes out well," says Gibson. "Pretty handy augment you got there. My brother got one of those laser fingers. Before he uploxed himself, the fool."

After the meal, they all sit around in his front room drinking Gibson's plum wine. The furnishing are covered in dog hair, but comfortable. Gibson's half dozen dogs sleep all around.

"This is a nice setup. How do you keep safe up here?" asks Cass.

"I'm something of a vet," says Gibson. "I help injured animals then release them back in the wild. The Eyes can turn a blind eye if you work with them." Frog scowls at this.

"And the Hunters?" asks Cass.

"My brother," says Gibson. "He's a fool, but he's up there somewhere, putting in a good word for me."

"I wish I had your brother," says Dell. He slouches back with a dog across his lap. "We fight off Hunters continuously in the Keep. We let anyone in but we probably lose as many people as we save. It's a losing battle. We need an edge."

"Uploxing would be easier, but it's death," says Frog. "Those things they become aren't human."

Gibson looks uncomfortable. "I don't blame you for wanting to live in the real world, hard as it is. But my brother is still human, fool as he is."

"If you see anyone else out here," says Dell, trying to change the subject, "you should send them our way. We're trying to make Norwich safe again. It was once the second biggest city. I think it could be again."

"Not sure I see the appeal of city living," says Gibson, "but maybe those walls keep you a bit safer than you would be out in the wilds."

Amoretto, Cass, Dell and Frog end up crashed out asleep on the sofas in Gibson's living room, the taste of plum wine on their lips.

Gibson gives them a breakfast of cold potato left overs in the morning, and gifts a jar of pickled eggs. "Come visit again," he says.

"You all ready to head north?" Cass asks the others as she secures the cart on the bikes.

Amoretto gains +1 tally for learning mystery: The Keep's mission is to make Norwich habitable for true humans once more.

Academy
Search for something to eat, then sleep
[Sandra rolled 5+6+2wits=13]
Sandra finds a thicket of hogweed outside one of the windows of the Academy. She remembers once reading that the weed was edible and so she ends up filling up on a delicious salad of hogweed before drifting off to sleep among the mats in the gym. She wakes up still full to the rising sun. The light sparkles through the cracked glass of the school. It's a brand new day!

Sandra is no longer hungry.

Sidings
"You follow me as long as you want, also what are you, are you a robot or is that a mask? But for now I'm gonna go to sleep and figure out what I'm doing in the morning."
Search the train yard for a boxcar I can get into and shut the door and go to sleep.
[Goldstine rolled 5+1+2wits+1redcap=9]
Goldstine manages one better than a boxcar, finding an old passenger carriage. He's looking for a way in when the Red Cap sticks his pike between the doors and levers them open with prodigious strength.

"You're welcome," he says, but he studiously ignores all of Goldstine's questions.

Inside, Goldstine is able to make a fairly comfortable bed pulling up the old cushions of the train seats. He wakes to the sun streaming through the glass and Red Cap poking through Goldstine's pile of possessions.

"You do carry a lot of junk," he says.

Goldstine's stomach rumbles.

Goldstine is hungry.

Gated Community
Issac figured that he would stay in the Gated Community for tonight at the absolute least. He would be willing to take a turn on guard duty, though he didn't have the inclination to stay up all night. He would also take the opportunity to talk to people about the state of the world, or just about the local religion if that is all they were inclined to speak about.
[Isaac rolled 6+1-2empathy+0church=5]
Isaac stays up for a patrol duty and tries to get information about the world out of the pale men he's on watch with, but they're all on edge and barely respond to his questions. He goes to bed in the house on Marian road and sleeps fitfully under the thin blankets. He awakes with a pit in his stomach.

Out in the colony, there are still people on patrol, but apparently no attack in the night. There's no sign of Kam- perhaps he left for London already.

Isaac is hungry.

Isaac gains +1 tally for critical failure.

County Council
El Tigre apologizes profusely. After things settle down, he decides he will spend the night here. Before looking for a place to lay his head, he asks the two some questions:
"I understand that you wish to keep information about your organization away from me, but can you tell me what is going on at least? Why does civilisation appear to have collapsed here? Is it like this all over Earth?"
[El Tigre rolled 4+4+1empathy+0eyesofgaia=9]
"This fool really does know nothing," hisses Natrix.

"Shh," whispers Helen. "He is from a simpler time."

"Not the only thing that is simple," Natrix mumbles.

Helen continues, "The science of Uploxing. It started in the mid 2030s. People could leave their Earthly worries behind, put their mind into the cloud, experience life as a godlike being in a digital paradise. A lot of religions really got behind it, it was heaven, it was the rapture. Struggling families could speak with family members from beyond and learn how good it was. The loss of so many people caused economic crises which led to total market collapse by the early 2040s. As things fell apart, there was more and more reason to uplox. I held out pretty late, but I didn't want to die so I left in '45."

"I did die, for a moment, from hunger," Natrix admits. "My family had put in place a plan to recover me."

"By 2050 almost everyone who was going to uplox had done so. The Eyes were operating by then, there were the first Hunter leagues. It's like this the whole world over. No one really knows how many people are left alive on Earth but it's in the millions not the billions."

El Tigre drops off to sleep in the corner of the mechanics garage. He wakes with the sun shining on his face. Natrix is gone, but Helen is still here.

"Our intel says there's working vehicles in the town," whispers Helen. "I need you to help me take one of them. No way I'm walking to Ipswich in this state."

El Tigre gains +1 tally for learning mystery: most people left Earth by 'uploxing', leaving the world for a digital paradise beyond.

Crater -> Terraces
Theodore heads back with Timmy and Viktor to the terraces.

"That was wild!" says Timmy.

"HIS HEART WAS ROTTEN," Viktor bellows.

They climb the stairwells and go along the cold corridors of the housing estate until they reach the floor with the gored gorilla. There is no sign of Ed or his bicycle.

"You return." it says. "You found a battery.

The great beast takes the battery and carefully unfolds wires from his own stomach to it.

"Ahhh," he says. "This must have been a wicked Marmiter. You did good. Your gang gets a pass from the Legends for now. I give you wicked kudos."

[Theodore rolled 6+1+0empathy=7]
The gorilla doesn't seem to go anywhere, it just lies there charging up, casting a wan light.

"Teach me to fight," Thedore asks of Viktor.

"THE SECRET IS BEING VERY DRUNK," he imparts. "YOU FORGET THE PAIN. YOU FORGET THE HORROR. HERE, YOU WILL NEED THIS."

From one of his many tentacles, he gives Theodore a full bottle of vodka. With that at his side, Theodore settles back to write up his diary of the day.

Theodore gains +1 rep with Legends (Hunter Guild). (Now 0).
Theodore gains -1 rep with GML (Hunter Guild). (Now -2).
Theodore gains a bottle of vodka.
Theodore gains +1 kudos (apparently)

Swamp Houses -> Warehouse
Tim Tam would do what they could to aid the woman. They did certainly know at least some minimal amount about the man after all. Most importantly, they knew where he was 2 days ago, and could certainly attempt to reason out how far he could have gone in that time.
Not to mention, this woman looked dangerous, Tim Tam was glad for that. Dangerous people made capable allies.
Tim Tam co-operates, imparting the direction she saw El Tigre last move in. She introduces herself as Dulcamara.

"My number #1 rule is don't mess around at night. That's when they get you," she says, leading Tim Tam to a safe house outside the warehouse district a short walk south. It was once a two-bed flat above a hardware shop and had managed to hold up well from the deprivations. Dulcamara stashes her bike in the shop and she shares some hot noodles from a flash with Tim Tam in the dusty living room of the apartment.

"Must be rough out here," she says.

"Mhmmm," says Tim Tam, a mouthful of food. She drifts off on battered sofa. The sunlight through the dusty window pane wakes her. Dulcamara throws her an apple, she's all ready to go.

"It's a new day," she says. "Let's find this luchador."

DAY 3 BEGINS
Spoiler: City Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:38:19 am by notquitethere »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2019, 07:56:54 am »

Head SW searching for Hunters

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2019, 08:03:08 am »

Spoiler: El Tigre Picante (click to show/hide)

"Alright, point me where, and I'll lead the way. But first, can you help me find something in Natrix's shop to help me travel through these forests? I'm a little on the large side, and pushing through bramble is not fun, and a little destructive."

Look for something to aid in traveling, also look for supplies of any kind.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2019, 08:17:24 am »

Quote from: Elvish Miner on July 19, 2019, 06:19:58 am
Name: Irma Rama
[Tasha rolled 2+1+1wits=4]
[Irma rolled 2+3+2weird=7]
Tasha searches the building but with the sun sunk low, she can't find anything of use. Just a lot of smashed offices barely lit by moonlight streaking through vine-clogged windows. Eventually, in front of her father's pod, she collapses in exhaustion and sleeps fitfully.

As the sun rises and light filters through the building, one of the closed pods hisses open. It jolts Tasha awake. Another woman steps out. Irma Rama. She pulls herself out. Her hands catch on the edge of the pod, sticking perfectly as millions of microscopic hairs extend from her palm and catch on the smooth surface of the pod. A wave of static runs through her head, like the tuning of a radio. She listens in and catches, briefly a snatch of conversation between two men:

"...due on the pier in the next five hours. Do they suspect...?"

"No, we're here for an aid package..."

And then static fading into quiet. Irma looks around. This doesn't look like where she was originally frozen and everything is so dusty.

Tasha gains +1 tally for critical failure.
Spoiler: Miss Smirnov (click to show/hide)

Tasha had slept fitfully, dreams warped and panicky. Blue eyes snapping on open, at the sound of a pod opening, scrambling upwards to their feet. Her balance hard and strange, her stomach churning, her hand feels it and feels the scar, feels the faint thing moving inside of her gut's. Tasha's face pales as they take in the new person's ring, their face, the girl, black hair being brushed aside as a deep breath is forced on out.

"You alr-alright?"

Tasha just stuttered, a clear bit of confusion across their face, the pale homebody letting their thoughts wash over them. Their worry for their father, their worry for themselves, their confusion about everything, she'd...fill the girl in. Blue eyes gleaming, her hands wringing together, a faint warmth, attempting to be calming clearly in their tone.

"Alright, Miss? I believe we are in a spot of trouble, the world outside appears to be rather ruined and I don't know what's going on as much as you. I searched around the building last night, couldn't find anything. Let's stick together for now alright?

It's Tasha, Tasha Smirnov.
"
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Day Breaks
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2019, 09:09:11 am »

“Yeah. Let’s go.”
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Day Breaks
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2019, 10:17:58 am »

...nothing for me?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2019, 10:45:01 am »

...nothing for me?
Eek, I must have slipped past it in all the posts I was sorting somehow. Hold on a moment.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 20, 2019, 10:54:20 am »

Bingo Hall
I want to break into the bingo hall via the aforementioned air conditioner method.  If it's locked up that tight, should be a safe place to sleep.
[Sandeep rolled 3+5+1weird+1architect=10]
Sandeep climbs up some piping and manages to pull off one of the air-conditioning units with his bare teeth. He crawls through and drops down into a vast dusty hall with an ugly purple carpet and lots of shiny tables. There's a sofa which makes for a fine enough bed. It's too dark too much else. So he falls asleep there. As he dreams he gets experiences the other dreams of people out in the wastes. Horrifying sights of electric gorillas, tentacled darlings, hovering eyes. What monstrosities are waiting out there for him? Could his wife really be alright when there are such dangers everywhere?

He wakes, the light streaming through the hole he wrenched in the wall. He remembers the lay of the building, his architect senses kicking in, and he finds the door he broke the boards from and unlatches it from the inside. The city, the morning, lays before him.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44