Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ongoing Mission (Team CYOA 2/4)  (Read 1711 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Ongoing Mission (Team CYOA 2/4)
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:10:33 pm »

In-Character Thread

Hey, this is an improvised game I want to develop on the fly. The premise is a kind of cross between Mafia and FTL. So when you join you get a random skill, race, and goal. Every turn the players vote on how to respond to events. You may also need to do battle, man stations, and repair damage. The ship can be upgraded and even replaced.

I make no secrets about it, I am winging this one.

As far as how often turns are we'll see what works best for everybody. We could hold battles on Discord, or not. (don't let it discourage you from signing up if you don't use it)

Oh the idea is that new players can join during the game too, not just at the start. And make a new character if they die.

I'm thinking I will do races and events taken from sci-fi sources(not inspired by). That said. What races would you like to be able to play as? Nothing too powerful will show up. We can't have a superman that just fights the battles for the ship, for example. Predator could work. Xenomorph could show up as an enemy, but crew members would have to be able to fly a ship and probably reasonably work with other species.

Waitlist:
0cra_tr0per
Glass

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:25:16 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Ongoing Mission
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

Catalog

This is ALL the "STUFF" that will appear in the game... Suggestions are welcome, but please only add stuff you actually want.

Ships:
(small crew)

Fast
Millennium Falcon

Corgo
FireFly
Planet Express
Raza (Dark Matter)
Bebop

Combat
Kestrel Cruiser
Rocinante (The Expanse)

Rooms:
(gameplay function)

Auto Doc: Room with casket that allows crew to tend to their wounds. Faster with doctor operating it.
Cryo Chamber: Allows crew to skip long periods of time between events without aging.
Command: Allows crew to activate ship abilities and navigate.
Holodeck: Provides recreation and strategy simulation.
Pod Bay: Holds small fighter or escape pod.
Mess Hall: Food and drink.
Engine: The thing that makes the ship go. Internally exposed for repairing.
Cargo Hold: Storage.

-Bay: Room with airlocks.

Races:
Cooperative sentients:
#1. Human: Can learn quick.
#2. Predator: Superior fighting with blades and plasma weapons.
#3. Pierson's Puppeteer: Can gain clues about other's goals.
#4. Quarian: Highly adept with tech and engineering.
#5. Helghast: Superior squad-based combat tactics.
#6. Android: See Imposters
#7-13. Spelljammer races: (7)
- #8. Dracon: Close combat proficiency and honor-based goal requirements.
- #9. Rastipede: Natural armour and magic proficiency.

Imposters: (# = (Total Races + "#")
#1. Android: Link to ship for information and physically strong. Mimics the characteristics of another race, android status not revealed. May be missing racial emotional qualities and internal attributes.
#2. The Thing: Can change race, identifiable if seen changing. Can't heal from technology and instead they reveal, but fast natural healing. Can make natural bone blades, revealing self. Players killed with bone blades become a Thing. Goal is always to replace crew. Only found near death.

None Crew Race Examples:
Xenomorph
Tyranid
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:16:07 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:14:05 pm »

reserved.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:45:02 pm by roseheart »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:10:09 pm »

Proposition: to hell with distinguishing between science fiction and fantasy. The only difference at the soft end is tech level. Let’s have our science with a side of magic!

So, Roseheart, what do you know about Spelljammer?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:46:48 pm »

Hmm. Maybe guest DMs could come in for one-off events. I don't personally know a lot about it.

You could propose races from it and cite sources.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:56:47 pm »

So something like (just getting a feel for it)...

Quarian: Highly adept with tech and engineering.
Helghast: Superior squad-based combat tactics.
Tyranid: All-consuming, doesn't need to worry about "diplomacy".

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:25:00 pm »

Tyranid: All-consuming, doesn't need to worry about "diplomacy".
Xenomorph could show up as an enemy, but crew members would have to be able to fly a ship and probably reasonably work with other species.
The 'Nids are, if anything, worse than Xenomorphs, MoP.

In other news, this page has links to pages describing the playable races from Spelljammer.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »

I may have had a shot or two for the first time in a while and missed that whole last sentence. But those are more just getting an idea for what's expected, not full-on submissions. If they get taken that's cool too though.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 04:36:22 pm »

Yeah, the level of detail can increase in future "editions" of characters. Just a basic bonus and respect for if they could reasonably be a crew member within their own fiction can make the start.

Also ships can be taken from other media... but I am not sure I want 500+ crew ships. Which are most of the popular ones unfortunately. Any ideas? I can just use the FTL ships and probably will as a base.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ongoing Mission (Team CYOA)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 04:48:13 pm »

We could just be a small scout vessel, stranded from the larger ship we're usually with.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 04:49:28 pm »

Oh, nice background story arc idea!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 04:56:08 pm »

HA! I can help here too! Probably won't actually participate, but I've got knowledge to share that can help. Potential spoilers for the shows in (parentheses)

Bebop (Cowboy Bebop)
Firefly (Firefly/Serenity - ninja'd)
Raza (Dark Matter)
Rocinante (The Expanse, and my personal favorite)
Planet Express (:D)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 05:33:36 pm »

I think we can come up with a way for people to be players and guest DMs at the same time(or at least, between), but it could be something as simple as your character being in hypersleep when DMing.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 06:39:44 pm »

I'm interested. Sign me up.
it's over

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 01:55:57 pm »

Cool! Once we get about 4? Lets try a "pilot episode".
Pages: [1] 2