Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG  (Read 3161 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:50:45 am »

This will be a game in the vein of a Suggestion Game/Choose Your Own Adventure. A majority of updates will end in an open-ended decision to make, however there will be times where options are provided. You will be in control of a single character as they make their way through the world. A world detailed below!

Spoiler: The World Before (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The World During (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The World After (click to show/hide)

The World Now

It is the year 80 A.P. (After Passing) Word of a reunited Marius' Reformed has reached the TechnoRepublic of the Five Towers and the TRSF is preparing for another season of unending war. You are...

A. An officer in the TRSF 2nd Company currently leading 'Cerberus' Squad on a mission to a nearby junkyard for any materials the 3D printers could disassemble.
B. An Infantryman in the TRSF Reed Garrison working as part of a group tasked with removing suspected criminal elements in the lower tower.
C. An F-16 pilot flying routine drills with their wingmate.
D. A member of the TRSF 'Specter' Division, which technically does not exist, infiltrating a subversive element in Roberts Hall.

And how did you get there? Tell me more of the person you are, including...
Gender - Male or Female to keep it simple.
Appearance - Some description of your physical appearance and your average outfit.
Traits - Any outstanding qualities you may have - things like artificial limbs.
Home Tower - Which tower you come from will have an impact throughout the story.
Anything else you wish to include to flesh out the character is welcome.

Feel free to ask questions if you need more information prior to making your first few decisions to get a feel for the world, the game, and your wonderful GuideMan.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 02:04:13 am »

I might read it
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 05:12:28 am »

C

Looks: Short but athletic, black hair, always pushing the edge of uniform regulations with stylish personalized pins, emblems, sunglasses, and other additions. In civilian clothing, goes far wilder with spiked leather jackets, steel-toed boots and other neo-punkish accessories.
Traits: Augmented eyes designed to connect with the sensors of her plane, standard-issue for TechnoRepublic pilots.
Home Tower: Reed Tower
Other: Daughter of prominent TR scientist, choosing war rather than science much to the disappointment of her parents.

Are the cyborg eyes too much? I wasn't sure how advanced these guys are.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:30:37 am »

Eye augments are perfectly viable. Gonna let things sit a bit for another opinion or two but that's a completely acceptable submission.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:58:19 am »

So im still fleshing out what I would want in the main PC, and have some questions. Firstly, do we pick the name or do you MoP, as well as personality, that goes in traits correct?

Also, are we the bad guys? I am getting "secretly the bad guy" vibes from this. Which appeals to me. Part of me wants to be the Specter agent, and see how that plays out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:00:32 am by TheFantasticMrFox »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:41 am »

While you can definitely name the PC its something I can easily fill in. I realized I left out specifying a name after I laid down.

And yeah, any characteristics you want to include go under traits.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:16:21 am »

C

Looks: Short but athletic, black hair, always pushing the edge of uniform regulations with stylish personalized pins, emblems, sunglasses, and other additions. In civilian clothing, goes far wilder with spiked leather jackets, steel-toed boots and other neo-punkish accessories.
Traits: Augmented eyes designed to connect with the sensors of her plane, standard-issue for TechnoRepublic pilots.
Other: Daughter of prominent TR scientist, choosing war rather than science much to the disappointment of her parents.

+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:27 pm »

C

+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:00:41 pm »

Also, are we the bad guys? I am getting "secretly the bad guy" vibes from this. Which appeals to me. Part of me wants to be the Specter agent, and see how that plays out.
I'm leaning toward Specter Agent, too. Maybe something like this would be suitable for a character who is committed/indebted to the system but still capable of empathy toward her targets?

D (If you or your team are captured the Secretary will disavow all knowledge. This message will self-destruct . . .)
Optional Name: Angelica Hermione Roberts, preferred nickname "Andy" (presumably a mixup of Angie by a younger brother)
Looks: In contrast to her fancy name (with a founder's surname, no less), she usually dresses like a tomboy leaning toward nerdy. Straight, neck length black hair; brown eyes; cute nose; the coppery-tan skin common to so many of the gene-mixed kids who grew up under artificial sunlamps; shortish stature; works out; enough curve in the chest and waist to prove she's all grown up when she wants to be, and not so much that anyone stares unless she makes that emphasis. Some scarring on her right leg, but she preferred wearing pants even before that happened.
Traits:
– Most obviously, a bionic right arm: a prosthetic replacement incorporating what remains of her natural elbow and fingers (thumb, pointer, ring). She gained it after a FUBAR firefight against tribal mutants during a junkyard delving mission. The artificial portion of her arm is durable, resistant to slashing or penetration but probably not to crushing force. Built in gyroscopes might make her more accurate shooting a weapon if she has one; but they also resist swinging or moving quickly, and in daily life it often feels like pushing a weight wrapped around her wrist all day long. The arm is not removable.
– Very much not obviously, some sort of cochlear implant?: occasionally she hears sotto voce instructions that nobody else reacts to. She assumes it was put in at the same time as her other tech, but it didn't manifest until she was well into her first Specter mission. The unemotional (computer generated?) voice in her head seems to be protective of her, and to date its recommendations have not conflicted with the primary objectives forwarded by her Specter handler. Advice ranges from practical ("there is a dangerous man watching you from the northwest corner booth") to the absurdly pedantic or personal ("if you wore brighter earrings to your rendezvous it would set off your lipstick better"). Having grown up in a techno-security state, Andy is not creeped out by her unexplained watcher, but she also doesn't feel obliged to follow its directions over her own judgment.
Home Tower: R.C.P. Building (she hails from a splinter branch of the Roberts that preferred gardening long before the Event)
Other background:
– She was previously an Infantry grunt and knows how to handle herself in a fight, but her experience left her skeptical toward ground command. Specter Division recruited her during convalescence and rehab, and probably played a role in the 'official' story of a medical discharge to the TRSF Reserve Forces and resumption of civilian life.
– Given her small frame, it's no surprise she's a relative lightweight when it comes to alcohol, cannabis, or other recreational imbibables, and she's aware of her limits.

Yes, I copied some from Digital Hellhound's profile of her looks before adding my own embellishments.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:59 pm »

+1 to specter agent.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 02:25:24 pm »

I like the general direction, but the bionic arm doesn't seem like something that is good for being a infiltration agent, and further more, part of me wants to lean into the possible bad guy angle.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »

Oh right the earlier reply was done over the phone so I forgot to clarify: this is definitely going to be more Grey/Gray Morality, but for reference two of my influences come from the 40K lore I've been shoving down my own throat, and playing as the Enclave in the HoI4 Old World Blues mod.

But I mean, surely you can't be the bad guys if you're fighting for survival, right? Then you're just surviving! Existence is a struggle!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 04:15:11 pm »

I like the general direction, but the bionic arm doesn't seem like something that is good for being a infiltration agent, and further more, part of me wants to lean into the possible bad guy angle.
The towers are big, but not necessarily so big that she can count on not being recognized in any case. I was thinking that infiltration is mostly a matter of selling her story; I didn't even give Andy the same home tower as the target group so presumably she's already facing suspicion on that count. It seems to me like bionics should be rare, but not unexpected in the setting.
Spoiler: imaginary scenario (click to show/hide)

On the other hand, I admit I did not really lean into being a "bad guy." I figure mission objectives are being dictated from on high, while any sort of ruthlessness or similar in pursuing them will develop from player choices. I was going more for "objectively recognizes the anti-freedom nature of most Specter ops, while shrugging it off because all her life she's been told the chaos outside is worse." If you'd like more bad-specific traits, I'm open to suggestions.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:34:51 pm »

Sweet we got a 3v3 tie for the pilot vs some form of specter agent.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 01:18:40 am »

C

Pages: [1] 2 3 4