Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG  (Read 3156 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:45 am »

C

Looks: Short but athletic, black hair, always pushing the edge of uniform regulations with stylish personalized pins, emblems, sunglasses, and other additions. In civilian clothing, goes far wilder with spiked leather jackets, steel-toed boots and other neo-punkish accessories.
Traits: Augmented eyes designed to connect with the sensors of her plane, standard-issue for TechnoRepublic pilots.
Home Tower: Reed Tower
Other: Daughter of prominent TR scientist, choosing war rather than science much to the disappointment of her parents.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 05:14:38 am »

+1 To specter agent.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 01:57:26 pm »

Let's organize these votes into an easy-to-comprehend box so I can tell what I gotta do easy.

EDIT: So the issue is there's more votes for the Specter individually, but there's more votes collectively for a Pilot. What makes this confusing is the fact that some of those Pilot votes utilize the Specter character design. Coming up with a clearer preference would be neat.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:38:38 am by Man of Paper »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 10:49:06 am »

I don't see any cross-voted designs?
A few strong similarities (female, short, black hair) but no mixed voting.

I see 5 total voters for C - Pilot (Digital Hellhound, Taberone, Funk, 10ebbor10, Rockeater), mostly +1'ing Digital Hellhound's 'Neo-punk' character design. The only thing there is that 10ebbor10 repeated it without a quote block, which led Rockeater to quote that – but it's word for word the same.

I see 4 total voters for D - Specter agent (TheFantasticMrFox, mightymushroom, Doomblade187, King Zultan), and only one in-depth character proposal among them. TheFantasticMrFox expresses dissatisfaction with that particular agent, but the latter two simply +1 the Specter option (after my 'Hears Voices' is already on the table, make of that what you may).

I think however you parse the specter votes, the Punkish Pilot is still leading.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:52:05 am by mightymushroom »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 12:27:19 pm »

Maybe I just need more sleep. In that case I'll move forward as soon as I can.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Into The Fire - A Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi CYOA/SG - Chapter 1
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »

Chapter 1: Speartip

"Come on 'Valk', I could practice these maneuvers in the simulator," your wingman, Matt 'Havoc' Calridge complains as he draws his aircraft next to yours. He, like most pilots, wears the standard grey uniform provided by the TRSF. You, however, stand out like a sore thumb among your peers, having a flaming skull paint job on your helmet and a black jumpsuit with bright orange trim.

Matt and yourself, Ripley 'Valkyrie' Scott, had been training in the simulator together for a couple years now. Your old wingleader had retired after an accident in his home left him unable to fly, and so you got a nice promotion and the chance to select your own protege. Having clocked extensive hours in combat simulators together, nobody was surprised in the slightest when you selected Matt as your Wingman.

"It's your first flight, Havoc. I don't want to scare you off just yet. But if you're so sure of yourself," you twist the control stick in your right hand and pull back on the throttle, pulling off and to the right to corkscrew behind your wingman, "Shake me."

Havoc's laughter comes through over comms, "That's more like it, Valkyrie. Try to keep up!"

Havoc pulls his aircraft upwards and tightly to the left. You follow until he doubles back on his upward spiral and aims hims nose to the earth. You...

A. Keep on his tail. Keeping eyes on and pressure up is the way to go.
B. Maintain altitude. He's committed to a dive and you can maintain the high ground.
C. Fly into nearby clouds and go radio silent before ambushing him. Maybe you can scare him in line.
D. Call it off. You have second thoughts, there's no need to risk our lives and, more importantly, irreplaceable equipment.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:54 pm »

B. Maintain altitude. He's committed to a dive and you can maintain the high ground.
Pull the air brakes and get a missile lock.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 06:44:42 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 09:50:21 am »

+1
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 08:38:28 am »

Okay, if everybody else says B it's got to be right. I know nothing about air to air combat but holding the high ground sounds great.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:03 pm »

Havoc falls away below you and twists while you rotate to the right so you can keep eyes on as you pass by. He begins to level out and notices you still headed away from him. You notice a trail of smoke on the horizon. They'd been increasing in number lately, signs of a Reformed forward camp. You'd pass that along later.

"You afraid of me, Valk?" Havoc taunts.

"No, Havoc," you reply, "I'm afraid for you."

Havoc begins to bank and peel away while you finish rolling upside down and pull back on the stick sharply. Your body presses into the seat of your jet as you're exposed to increasing g-forces. The simulator can emulate the feeling of g-forces through cybernetic connections, but actually feeling your organs pressing against your insides is certainly a sensation of it's own. And one you find thrilling, almost a connection to the plane itself.

In fact, how do you view your connection to the aircraft? Is it simply a weapon of war? An extension of yourself? Do you view the aircraft as the embodiment of generations of pilots? Is it just a cold, sleek, beautiful killing machine or is it something deeper, more spiritual? Did you give it a name? Expand on this however much you'd like.

You complete the maneuver, pointing your nose on an intercept course with Havoc.

"You're not going to get away from me down there," you state simply, "Might as well serve yourself to me on a platter."

You consistently gain on Havoc as you approach from above and line up around sixty meters directly behind him (though you're a bit further away due to the difference in altitude). He banks and pulls his plane tight to the right hard enough that he lets a brief grunt out over comms. You follow suit and tense your body against the g-forces when Havoc corkscrews tightly down and left to reverse direction.

"Gaahhh, this fucki-" he strains through the maneuver but his comms. suddenly cut out.

"Angels this is Goose Mother, be advised," Goose Mother was ground control for all aerial operations, "We've got a patrol near McKerran Scrap Yard that's been surrounded by mutants and is unable to withdraw. Are you armed to assist?"

"Always," you reply. The only time you wouldn't be armed to assist is if you'd assisted already.

In fact, besides the internal 20mm Vulcan cannon, what else does your plane have equipped?
-You have 9 hardpoints on each aircraft, three under each wing, two on the wingtips (that is, one on each wingtip), and one under the fuselage.
-Each piece of potential equipment will be followed by a brief description as well as their "cost" in hardpoints and which hardpoints they can be attached to.
-Hardpoint cost is also being lumped with weight/volume requirements for the equipment for simplicity's sake.
-The fuselage can mount one of any piece of equipment regardless of Hardpoint cost.
-Weapons attached on the wings will need to be mirrored (so, say, a Rapier not mounted on the fuselage will take up a hardpoint on both wings/wingtips). As time goes on you may uncover/recover more equipment, and some equipment will have special rules.
-You can leave hardpoints empty, and the weight of loadouts will affect flight.
-You will be able to change your loadout before every flight.
-If there's any questions on a loadout's viability, for example if you aren't sure how to calculate cost, just let me know and I'll clarify.

Aircraft Armory:
"Rapier" ATGM: An air-to-ground missile guided by the plane's nose-mounted sensor suite. Equipped with a 59kg warhead, good for precision strikes against small or concentrated targets. Requires 1 Hardpoint, Any Position
"Broadsword" ATGM: An air-to-ground missile guided by the plane's nose-mounted sensor suite. Equipped with a 110kg explosive warhead meant for taking our hard targets. Requires 1 Hardpoint, Any Position
"Hailstorm" 20mm Gun Pod: A gun pod housing a 20mm rotary cannon and 800 rounds of ammunition. Provides additional strafing capability. Requires 2 Hardpoints, Under Wings or Fuselage
"Huginn" Unguided Bomb: A 925kg unguided bomb packed with 429kg of high explosives. Excellent at wiping out a target area. Requires 2 Hardpoints, Under Wings or Fuselage
"Muninn" Cluster Munitions: A canister that pops open and disperses 400 anti-personnel bomblets over the deployment area after a few moments of flight. Deals moderate damage across a wide area.Requires 2 Hardpoints, Under Wings or Fuselage

Spoiler: Character Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aircraft Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:52:59 pm by Man of Paper »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:01 am »

Our aircraft is an extension of our self.

Plane's equipment:
Two "Hailstorm" 20mm Gun Pods one for each wing using 4 hardpoints
Two "Rapier" ATGMs one on each wingtip using 2 hardpoints
One "Muninn" Cluster Munitions on the fuselage using 2 hardpoints

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 02:40:14 pm »

We do not anthropomorphize our plane; if anything, the data flowing into our cybernetic link reinforces its mechanical nature. We have an attachment, perhaps even a bond, and would balk at piloting the other craft, but it is the bond of innumerable hours spent aloft until knowledge of its tiniest flutters in handling and targeting systems has become instinct. It is a beautiful machine and every flight is a thrill – what a thrill! – yet it is a machine and we are its surehanded mistress, not its buddy.

Our plane does have a name, though, passed down from an earlier generation of pilots: 'Athena.' Havoc's plane is called 'Ares.' They thought that when we fly, we are more than human: we are a godlike embodiment of our whole crew and of the Technocratic Republic. You might correctly guess that our personal rebelliousness laughs at the idea when we're groundside, but in action it's damn near impossible NOT to feel like we are the hand at the end of the arm casting down lightning and fury from above.

Loadout:
+1

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:14 pm »

Quote from: War Plan Orange
2 "Rapier" ATGMs, 1 per wingtip. 2 Hardpoints.
1 "Broadsword" ATGM, 1 on left wing. 1 hardpoint
2 "Huginn" Unguided Bomb, 1 per wing. 4 Hardpoints.
1 "Hailstorm" 20mm Gun pod. Fuselage. 2 Hardpoints

Rational; they are surrounded and need help breaking out. Bombs allow us to make a hole, ATGMS allow us to pick out the things that MUST die, and the added guns lets us hose down whats left. Cluster bombs have highest chance of hitting friendlies, and too much gun is inefficient.

Furthermore, Our aircraft is the truest expression of our rebellion. We rebel against the chains of gravity and take flight, only ourselves guiding our path. We fly not only to be free, we fly to help others be free. Mildly pretentious, but i think it fits. Votes will tell.

Quote from: Votebox
Loadout-
Zultan Loadout: (2) Zultan, Mushroom
War Plan Orange: (1) TFF

Aircraft Expressionism-
Fox's Idea: (1) TFF
Zultans Idea: (1) Zultan
Mushrooms Idea: (1) Mushroom

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 08:49:55 pm »

Our aircraft is an extension of our self.

Plane's equipment:
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4