Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 455889 times)

QDDeerGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1650 on: May 12, 2020, 09:23:13 am »

Hello! I made an account for this, sorry to butt in. Long time player, first time poster.

I'm loving all the new stuff, especially the environment and creature tiles, and the world map has made a lot of progress, but it does ultimately feel like it's missing something. Most of it's good, but the colours seem too bright and happy for a pretty serious and sort of moody game. I'd prefer if the colours were more muted and realistic, maybe the bright green and blue can be saved for good and benign areas?

More importantly for a game about mountain people, the mountains look very little like real mountains, more like strange chainmail of some sort. I did a couple mockups as suggestions! Sorry if that's too forward, whatever the art team goes with I'm sure will be great!

Please keep in mind I'm a 3D artist first and foremost, with only a bit of experience in pixel art, and practically 0 working with dwarf fortress' engine. That said:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fully automated luxury lesbian mineshaft commune

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1651 on: May 12, 2020, 10:08:05 am »

Oh, that's good feedback. :)

I'll do some tests with something similar.

Btw, I started learning Zbrush two days ago, lots of respect for 3D artists now that I see how that works.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 12, 2020, 10:16:37 am »

I like the 'run into each other' ridges. Yes, the (more) overhead view of the real photo has such ridge-features (and the rest) in all the directions you would expect, but the 'map' in DF doesn't give plan views of its buildings and trees, so you'd expect more this-ish (but without such cumulative depth, perhaps ignore/fudge the atmospheric perspective aspect).

The heightmap (real or 'tile-art simulated') might work if consistent with hills (green to grey-green?) and the recently discussed water-depth shading. Even if it's not embark-tile accurate, is there a (maybe progressively HSV filtered, rather than RGB+A) overlaying method to splash "mountain height" across slightly more than a tile to "foothill"ise the non-mountainous neighbour-tiles, increase the 'mountainicity' of tiles deeper in the range (if not dealt with by multitile base graphics) and, most of all, blending the edges of the tiles.

(I think blending would benefit in the 'ridge profile' form of wide-multitile graphic too, even/especially with randomised tile and purturbation of placement. I'd consider a mock-up, but it'd have to be a rip and rejig of prior art, as I've said before.)

((Ninjaed by Meph. And I'll therefore repeat that I have great respect for the 2D artists too. ;) ))

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1653 on: May 12, 2020, 10:21:08 am »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 12, 2020, 10:45:29 am »

Definitely has merit, that. Three levels of (nesting) pseudo-hypsometrism. Lower hills merge well with surroundings (the peaks less so, but that's peaks for you) and work well with the green 'tweeny' shades (some being art, some being base-default shining through the alpha channel?).

Could you arrange (if not also designing a method to do peak-to-peak ridging) using the lower-heights dark-grey palette as the 'base' to the mid-height peak art and the mid-height's light-grey as selfsame beneath the snowy-peak? Either in the tile or as the bit that peers through the transparency mask? In my head, that would look good (tree-lines and the like largely peter out before reaching higher elevated valleys, IRL, although hintier-hints of green could still exist to depict the hardier plants clinging to the slightly less tenuous slopes and stream-sides anywhere below the actual snowline).

Ideas only. Feel free to ignore. If I'm even making sense.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 12, 2020, 11:32:33 am »

Yeah, those lower mountains definitely look a lot better, and the mountains in general. I'd still say to tone down the brightness of the higher mountains, the contrast still seems to be a bit too high.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:36:20 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

SuperPluck

• Bay Watcher
  • Quack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 12, 2020, 11:45:20 am »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This looks awesome!

The mountains reminded me of leaves, i think it's the dark part in the middle and the general shape of them. But the lower moutains (hills?) are absolutely beautiful!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 12, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »

Foothills/lower slopes/lesser ranges (maybe the Marilyns to the Corbett and Munro counterparts?), as green hills themselves can be seen in the SW corner.

(edit, probably too late to be seen by those who matter without scanning back upwards: I'm gonna call the hills "drumlins", until they get improved in a sim8lar way to how these mountainous foothills are...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:33:19 pm by Starver »

CL3AR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 12, 2020, 12:57:52 pm »

These new mountains are looking a lot better.

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 12, 2020, 01:09:51 pm »

All the settlements blend into the background and are easy to miss.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1660 on: May 12, 2020, 01:48:20 pm »

I really like this approach to mountains. Thanks for the feedback!
The current sprites were just placeholders as I was planning to work on the sprites a lot more (I really love mountains) but this will help a lot!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:04:36 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

QDDeerGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 12, 2020, 03:07:54 pm »

Oh gosh I expected to get downvoted to hell, haha

I agree that the new mountains look better! Glad I could help. It's already looking a lot more cohesive!
fully automated luxury lesbian mineshaft commune

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1662 on: May 12, 2020, 03:34:48 pm »

I really like this approach to mountains. Thanks for the feedback!
The current sprites were just placeholders as I was planning to work on the sprites a lot more (I really love mountains) but this will help a lot!
Wait a moment. I'm the mountaineer! :P

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:00 pm »

I'm somewhat worried that "good" areas don't currently read correctly. Or at least non-mountainous good areas. I don't think we've seen good mountains yet.

Anyways, the first impression I get from the green here is much more "toxic chemical spill" than "good."

But maybe that's just me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 12, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »

Oh gosh I expected to get downvoted to hell, haha

I agree that the new mountains look better! Glad I could help. It's already looking a lot more cohesive!

You're in luck! we don't have voting on the forums!
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 178