Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 454570 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #450 on: April 07, 2019, 12:21:24 pm »

Damn, those are some grimdark sprites, I love them!
See, the thing is that Patrick and Tarn DO want to have the sprites of the megabeasts to take up more space. Of course we could squish it to nearly 32x32px, but it's not

Are you guys cool with having all the semis use the same general body sprite?
<3

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 07, 2019, 12:26:40 pm »

See, the thing is that Patrick and Tarn DO want to have the sprites of the megabeasts to take up more space. Of course we could squish it to nearly 32x32px, but it's not

No reason why not. I will say though, in addition to the legs being very slender, they look a bit mechanical; you should probably break the line that defines the tip of the kneecap in keeping with the general use of lighting.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2019, 12:27:59 pm »

Makes sense to me, at least for the 3 right ones since they're are all pretty much just variants of giants and roughly the same size. Probably worth it to make a different one for the minotaur tho, since the other 3 are kind of a seperate class, not to mention roughly 40 times bigger than the minotaur.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:32:25 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2019, 12:34:09 pm »

Oh damn, that's a good call on the size. And yeah, I'll fix the kneecaps, those are leftovers from the mechanical colossus.

EDIT: I've made it slightly smaller - after all the more common context to view a minotaur is against an adventurer, and they ARE 3x human size.

Fixed the knees and did a gremlin!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:16:21 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2019, 01:23:58 pm »

PTW, of course.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2019, 01:48:34 pm »

Might I suggest making the other three just a tad taller as well? (since the minotaur can't really be shrunk much further as you say). Having them be more in between the mino and the colossus in size would make sense imo. And give more room to make the legs feel more proportionate too.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2019, 04:21:15 pm »

Maybe a sitting dragon then, that exceeds tile limits mostly in height? Something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might not really matter too much though, as the dragon not really fitting in the corridors might just showcase how big it is, in which case the current sprite can be used with no repercussions.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »

Maybe a sitting dragon then, that exceeds tile limits mostly in height? Something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might not really matter too much though, as the dragon not really fitting in the corridors might just showcase how big it is, in which case the current sprite can be used with no repercussions.
Yeah, not fitting in corridors is fine, it's just a question of whether it looks good while not fitting. I think it's fine in its current state.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2019, 05:03:47 pm »

I'd make the giants/ettins 64 pixels tall. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »

PTW
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

BearMilitia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2019, 12:44:50 am »

So I'm very new to dwarf fortress having started to play this week, before even seeing the store page for it, so I feel like I can act like a good "new player" sounding board in this thread.

So... I had a try at ramps myself.

To start with, when I saw the steam page yesterday for the first time the ramps were the most jarring part of the screens that was immediately confusing to me. I looked through the entire thread to see if anyone had brought this up but meph you, on your first try, already got what I would say is the easiest way to make this much more easily read than just playing with shadows - directional texture. Just taking the regular texture and twisting it about 45 degrees immediately seems to solve the corner issue in the picture but unfortunately it looked like further down the pages people started to ignore this bit. If I were brand new, which I basically am, I can immediately see that the ramps here are a different tile from the grass around it and at that point its a simple scroll of the look cursor over to see its a ramp and bam! I now know that those tilted textures are ramps. Basically serves the same purpose as the arrows while looking a bit nicer.

This is another very good, immediately readable option compared to the first screw pump you posted earlier meph. The first one looked more like some kind of spike trap or shredder or something and if I didn't know what a real screw pump was I could be pretty lost as to what that means.

Now, at risk of showing exactly how new I really am, the last steam page screenshot shows some underground hallways covered in white soil looking tiles - is that snow or some other tile I haven't seen before?

Since the different sized sprites are being shown off it made me thing, what about the smallest things like earthworms, leeches, and spiders? What about their giant versions?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 08, 2019, 07:14:14 am »

So I'm very new to dwarf fortress having started to play this week, before even seeing the store page for it, so I feel like I can act like a good "new player" sounding board in this thread.

To start with, when I saw the steam page yesterday for the first time the ramps were the most jarring part of the screens that was immediately confusing to me. I looked through the entire thread to see if anyone had brought this up but meph you, on your first try, already got what I would say is the easiest way to make this much more easily read than just playing with shadows - directional texture. Just taking the regular texture and twisting it about 45 degrees immediately seems to solve the corner issue in the picture but unfortunately it looked like further down the pages people started to ignore this bit. If I were brand new, which I basically am, I can immediately see that the ramps here are a different tile from the grass around it and at that point its a simple scroll of the look cursor over to see its a ramp and bam! I now know that those tilted textures are ramps. Basically serves the same purpose as the arrows while looking a bit nicer.

When I look at that image all I see is flat ground

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 08, 2019, 08:38:37 am »

When I look at that image all I see is flat ground
The same. I try hard but all i see is flat grass plate with just different shades of grass. I saw once such grass distinction. There were two types of gras that cannot live together for some reason so the grass created sort of patched coloured terrain pretty much the same as i see on this pic.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 08, 2019, 09:51:16 am »

In that example, *I* see gradients (perhaps because I'm primed to see them, something our Informed Newbie that is BearMilitia seems to have picked up too, but not without a little work), but in an optical-illusionary "In or out? It flips when I stare" way.

Luckily, I think later versions came about in this thread that enhanced both the 3d-from-2dness-at-a-glance and headed towards making which change-of-height it was more obvious. Though the Resident Artists of the thread have moved onto the creature sprites, so I think we still have to see what scheme they'll have adopted by the time this is publicly revisited. (I can't add more to it than has previously been said, given my ultimate solution would involve synchronised shadowing from the movements of the sun and moon, as game-time passes, which I think is beyond the scope intended here. Though it would be a good Adventure Mode visual, despite the trouble it would be in Fortress.)

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2019, 12:00:28 pm »

By the way, Meph - not really about the tileset, but do you know if there is proper mouse support&interface planned (in paid version only maybe)? Because harcore keyboard controls in 2019 for wide audience, well...  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 178