Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 116498 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1335 on: June 19, 2020, 04:20:39 am »

Counterproposal: give her a note which explains that we're dead and can swap bodies, and if she knows how this is accomplished we'd be willing to help her perform the procedure on herself, otherwise we have to kill her sorry :(

This sounds legit.

Hey ykno what? Maybe we're overthinking this. Use a rat to drop her a note that says we're part of the resistance and looking for information. Give zero other information. Ask all the questions we need if she responds positively. Promise that if we achieve our goals we will either arrange her escape or release at a later date.

If she's not going to help us, we can either A) Leave her where she is B) Absorb her memories.
This one.

+1
Don't give any unneeded info, especially info on our unique abilities. Out greatest asset is the fact than no one knows to be on the lookout for us/someone with our abilities. We can always send a second note/eat her if we think that she has info about us specifically.
Also, have an undead rat deliver the note. If she's a necromancer, she should notice that.
Also also, consider if we might be able to get a copy of the intake procedures once we are in the guard's body. I doubt we'll ever be able to sneak her out, but maybe we can figure how they trace escaped prisoners with these + the guard's memories.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1336 on: June 23, 2020, 12:39:36 pm »

Counterproposal: give her a note which explains that we're dead and can swap bodies, and if she knows how this is accomplished we'd be willing to help her perform the procedure on herself, otherwise we have to kill her sorry :(

This sounds legit.

Hey ykno what? Maybe we're overthinking this. Use a rat to drop her a note that says we're part of the resistance and looking for information. Give zero other information. Ask all the questions we need if she responds positively. Promise that if we achieve our goals we will either arrange her escape or release at a later date.

If she's not going to help us, we can either A) Leave her where she is B) Absorb her memories.
This one.

+1
Don't give any unneeded info, especially info on our unique abilities. Out greatest asset is the fact than no one knows to be on the lookout for us/someone with our abilities. We can always send a second note/eat her if we think that she has info about us specifically.
Also, have an undead rat deliver the note. If she's a necromancer, she should notice that.
Also also, consider if we might be able to get a copy of the intake procedures once we are in the guard's body. I doubt we'll ever be able to sneak her out, but maybe we can figure how they trace escaped prisoners with these + the guard's memories.

+1
(I'm a bit confused because you guys seem to be talking crossways about this. Some talking about using reanimated rats (Despite the danger of detection they pose) others about the guard, some about notes, others about direct conversations.  I'm gonna lay out the plan as best as I can guess it from all the talking. If it seems ok, just say  so. If you wanna make changes, do so, but please make sure to be precise. If possible I'd like to take you from here to in the prison in one post so I wanna be exact. I'll update this as soon as we have an answer, as I want to get this underway. )

You lay out your plan as you currently conceive of it.

1. Pilot a rat (Or snake or other creature) into the prison, use it to drop a note to the woman explaining you are part of the resistance and looking for info. Promise to get her out later, when you can. Otherwise try to convince her to work with you.
2. If she agrees to work with you, ask her questions regarding her time at the lab, the mass grave, the three projects, and anything to do with Alexander, including where he currently is and why he is being hunted. You will do this in person as the rat if possible, through notes if not.
3. If she is unwilling or unable to act with you, kill her and devour her memories. Make it look like an accident or natural event to avoid suspicion.
4. Using the the rat body, or a human guard body acquired through poisoning with the snake body, you will attempt to discover the standard policies and procedures of the prison, including what they would do to try and track an escaped prisoner. If possible and safe, undermine these operations somehow.
5. Once proper info has been gathered, dispose of any controlled bodies in a non-suspicious way and then telerot back.

Esme nods as you run through it, seemingly in agreement.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 23, 2020, 12:44:25 pm »

Sounds good

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 23, 2020, 01:43:28 pm »

A fine plan
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 23, 2020, 01:49:49 pm »

So, are we using the rat or the snake? I’m thinking snake

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 23, 2020, 01:50:28 pm »

So, are we using the rat or the snake? I’m thinking snake

Snake is sneakier, I think? +1 to snek. Snekwise.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1341 on: June 23, 2020, 02:55:51 pm »

If we're going with that plan, then I'd like to propose some amendments:

1. Have a puppet-bird airdrop a snake into the prison, preferably during nighttime.
2. Find an isolated guard. Inject him with the aneasthetic, killing him. Then consume his memories and reanimate his body.
3. Use the guard's memories to determine our target's location and the best way to get a message to her. If the guard doesn't know her location, then we could use the same rat-trick we used at the outpost to find and copy the information.
(We can't just go blindly searching every room hoping we come across the right one.)
4. Assume the guard's identity, doing his duties, laughing at jokes he would laugh, talking about things he usually talks about, beating up prisoners, generally act in a way that would not attract attention.
5. During that time, use the best method possible (probably some combination of rat and bird) to drop a note to the woman explaining you are part of the resistance and looking for info. Try to get her to give you the information. If she won't give you the information for free, promise to get her out later, when you can.
6. If she agrees to give you the information, ask her questions regarding her time at the lab, the mass grave, the three projects, and anything to do with Alexander, including where he currently is and why he is being hunted. You will do this through notes if possible, in person as the rat if not.
7. If she is unwilling or unable to act with you, kill her and devour her memories. Make it look like an accident or natural event to avoid suspicion.
8. Using the the rat body, or a human guard body acquired through poisoning with the snake body, you will attempt to discover the standard policies and procedures of the prison, including what they would do to try and track an escaped prisoner. If possible and safe, undermine these operations somehow.
9. Once proper info has been gathered, dispose of any controlled bodies in a non-suspicious way and then telerot back.

To each of those I will also add a general sanity check rule:
0. Consult with Esme to make sure we're not doing anything stupid. For example, maybe it's better to use a snake the bird kills, so that we don't touch the snake at all, in case they can somehow trace it back to us through some sort of residue. Once the guard's memories have been consumed, also use those to judge the feasibility of our next steps.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 23, 2020, 02:59:09 pm »

+1 to airdrop

-1 I say skip the guard, it just adds a layer of risk we don't need.

Just drop notes via snake. We don't even need to be there, we can instruct the snake to drop off the note and then self-destruct if she refuses to respond.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 23, 2020, 02:59:19 pm »

Paris' plan is better.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 23, 2020, 09:20:57 pm »

+1 Plan Paris

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 23, 2020, 10:01:40 pm »

I like the Piecewise plan

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 24, 2020, 07:04:17 am »

+1 To Paris plan!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1347 on: June 24, 2020, 02:49:27 pm »

If we're going with that plan, then I'd like to propose some amendments:

1. Have a puppet-bird airdrop a snake into the prison, preferably during nighttime.
2. Find an isolated guard. Inject him with the aneasthetic, killing him. Then consume his memories and reanimate his body.
3. Use the guard's memories to determine our target's location and the best way to get a message to her. If the guard doesn't know her location, then we could use the same rat-trick we used at the outpost to find and copy the information.
(We can't just go blindly searching every room hoping we come across the right one.)
4. Assume the guard's identity, doing his duties, laughing at jokes he would laugh, talking about things he usually talks about, beating up prisoners, generally act in a way that would not attract attention.
5. During that time, use the best method possible (probably some combination of rat and bird) to drop a note to the woman explaining you are part of the resistance and looking for info. Try to get her to give you the information. If she won't give you the information for free, promise to get her out later, when you can.
6. If she agrees to give you the information, ask her questions regarding her time at the lab, the mass grave, the three projects, and anything to do with Alexander, including where he currently is and why he is being hunted. You will do this through notes if possible, in person as the rat if not.
7. If she is unwilling or unable to act with you, kill her and devour her memories. Make it look like an accident or natural event to avoid suspicion.
8. Using the the rat body, or a human guard body acquired through poisoning with the snake body, you will attempt to discover the standard policies and procedures of the prison, including what they would do to try and track an escaped prisoner. If possible and safe, undermine these operations somehow.
9. Once proper info has been gathered, dispose of any controlled bodies in a non-suspicious way and then telerot back.

To each of those I will also add a general sanity check rule:
0. Consult with Esme to make sure we're not doing anything stupid. For example, maybe it's better to use a snake the bird kills, so that we don't touch the snake at all, in case they can somehow trace it back to us through some sort of residue. Once the guard's memories have been consumed, also use those to judge the feasibility of our next steps.

You consult with Esme about the plan. When you bring up having the bird kill the snake to limit any "residue" she actually seems somewhat taken aback that she didn't think of that.  She glances over at the snake she had bought  with a look of mild annoyance an shrugs. "Guess I'll throw that in the herpetology section. Killing one on your own is a good idea. I don't know if it will actually work, since regardless of the number of steps you use it always has to lead back to us eventually, but better to at least make it harder for them."

After a few more minutes of working things out, she nods a final time.

"Alright, this seems like a plan. I suggest you leave tonight; when the bird won't be noticed. Follow the train tracks north..." She lays out the path you need to take to make it back to the prison. You spend the remaining time before you leave getting some things set up. You make sure one of the currently unoccupied skeletons in the library responds to your telerot for the purposes of communication with Esme. Then, the both of you head to a different building. Its an abandoned building near the dockyards, a disused warehouse that has been partially destroyed by a bomb blast. Esme tells you it is occasionally used for dead drops. Together you both find an empty metal barrel and roll it over into the partially destroyed section of the building. You jam it into the wreckage in a place where its hidden and then crawl inside and have Esme seal the lid after she hands you a pistol. This location, she decided, is the best place to keep you on short notice.  No trace would lead back to the library, and it is highly unlikely that the "enemy" would bomb the same building twice, at least not on purpose.  Its imperfect and she says she'll work on getting you a better location for later use of the technique, but for now it will work.

You settle in as best you can, folded into a steel barrel, and project back out to your hawk body, which Esme has deposited away from the Library as well.  Around midnight you take flight and follow the tracks as she suggested. You actually stop flying relatively quickly and instead land atop the same train that you and Esme took before, letting its superior speed shuttle you where you need to go in a fraction of the time. Its morning, maybe 6 or 7, when the train arrives and you spend the next hour or so flying out to the checkpoint and then on again, until the prison comes into view.

The prison itself is clearly an older thing; not made by the current regime just taken over by it.  It resembles, at first glance, some kind of old castle; A tall stone wall complete with towers and crenelations in the form of an octagon, though not perfectly even as the eastern half slopes partially up the foothils of the mountains around the prison. Beyond that anachronistic wall is the prison itself: it looks almost like a military barracks, with 16 long wards branching off from a central building like the spokes of a wheel. Each ward extends nearly to the outer wall but stops just before reaching it. There are yards between each spoke, with running tracks and other amenities for prisoners on their yard time. You sweep over over the place several times and quickly indentify the central building as not only the guard barracks but also the heart of the prison in general. Its the largest, and tallest of the buildings, a octangular tower rising even higher than the outer walls and bedecked with guard platforms and search lights. For the moment it seems quiet. You pull away and back out to the woods to hunt the snake you need. It takes you a while, but you eventually discover one that suits your needs. You let it bite you a few times as you restrain it, just to make sure it has the all important fangs and then kill it with a careful stab of a talon.  The next steps prove maddeningly difficult with your current body, to the point that you actually hunt down a racoon and animate it to get a better pair of hands. Using tools strapped to your hawk body, you carefully cut the snake's head open, inject the deadly concentrated drug cocktail into its venom sacs just as Esme taught you, and then sew it up. Imperfect, but functional. You make a mental note to try and dispose of the snake body somewhere where it won't be found and draw suspicion with its clearly augmented head.

You wait for the next night to come, keeping an eye on the prison and making mental notes about things like guard paths and yard times. As soon as it gets dark and the current shift has ended, you take control of the snake and order the hawk to take you in before coming to perch back in the forest. It drops you off on the roof and you slither down the metal domed roof and into the upper most lookout post. From there you avoid contact with any guards and make your way about until you manage to locate the guard barracks. You squirm silently under beds and about the room, looking for a good candidate; someone sleeping heavily who wouldn't awaken from the bite and who didn't look particularly sociable. You find one in the corner of the room, several beds away from anyone else and snoring loudly. You carefully search for an exposed artery and decide on the neck as it seems most expedient. You line yourself up and bite down as smoothly and quickly as you can manage, sliding the long hollow teeth into the flesh until you feel the throb of the artery against their tips. You then dump your entire supply of anesthetic in a constant stream, making sure not to push enough in at once to be uncomfortable. The man stirs a bit, hand swatting at your head in that half hearted way a sleeping person might shoo a fly. As soon as the drug is dumped you release your grip and slither down under the bed, hiding yourself in case of trouble.  You wait for several minutes as the man's breathing grows steadily shallower until it stops all together.

You immediately squirm back up, climb onto his still chest, and begin to devour the memories streaming out of him.  You let them wash over you blindly, focusing on none of them for the moment, and then set about animating the body.  You use your teeth to drag down a anima connection and tie it all to a ring on his left hand. You have the body swallow the ring and then deanimate it before telerotting into it. You pick the snake up off your new chest and stuff it into your clothing, intent on hiding it away somewhere later. You then close your eyes and begin to go over the memories you stole in detail as you pretend to be asleep. As soon as you give them some attention, the rush up to meet you, like a geyser and nearly sweep you away. This man is older than those young men you killed before; his memories of the past are more hazy in the middle, with childhood and current events standing out the most. You accept the past memories with as much detachment as you can, but you still feel them as though they were you own. You try to pull the important information. What his parents looked like, though they're both now dead, his brothers and sisters, his home town, things that people might ask him about, or that they might know about and bring up. You feel more guilt this time, more melancholy, more sadness at your actions. Are these the feelings those boys you killed would have? Your own? This man's own feelings? You're not sure. You sit on a stump outside your childhood home, arm broken from a trip down the stairs at the school. The sun is setting, its light hidden behind the horizon by a lines of trees on the edge of your property, orange and yellow fall leaves blazing with the backlight. It smells like dust and and you feel some kind of distant nostalgia you cannot place. Its getting chilly but you don't want to go in, not to those stacked boxes and empty rooms. Tomorrow you and your family are leaving this home. You are worried what the future will bring, what you are leaving behind. You don't understand it at all. So you sit there till the sun is gone and you shiver as the starts wink into view. Your mother calls you for dinner and you want to cry, but you just walk sulkily towards the square of lamplight that is the doorway and the half seen shadow silhouette of your mother.  You tear yourself away and the scene melts like oil paints in turpentine, softening and flowing away.

Recent events are easier to accept. Banal compared to halcyon memories of the past. You discover his schedule, his routes, the people he talks to and what about. You search his mind for your target but find nothing; she must be in a different ward. You...he knows that political prisoners are kept in A ward, along with the high level offenders, but he doesn't work there. He's on F ward and has only been to A ward a few times as back up for riots or fights that spring up over there. You don't have the clearance to enter the main offices either, not without being summoned there by the warden. You'll need to find a way to do both.

Daylight streams through the windows and you raise yourself up into a sitting position on the bed as the shift change approaches. Most are still asleep right now, but a few men are stirring. You stuff the snake in the steamer chest at the foot of the bed and start getting dressed for the day.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 25, 2020, 03:38:06 am »

I guess we go about this guys daily activities, and maybe see if he knows how they track people escape.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1349 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:04 am »

I guess we go about this guys daily activities, and maybe see if he knows how they track people escape.
Yes, consider that. We need to know what we should watch out for. Even if we don't know exactly how they do it, knowing small things like who we're supposed to report to about things like that or how such things were detected/handled in the past might help.

Also, is there any way we could legally gain access to the main offices? You know, to lodge a complaint or to report something or to make a phone call or to visit the infirmary?
The infirmary will probably be dangerous since we run a risk of someone checking our pulse, but it's nice to know our options.

Who handles the cleaning/maintenance of the main offices and sector A? If it's prisoners we might be able to get them to smuggle something.

Order the bird to find us a mouse or other small animal, just in case we need one later. Also make sure the bird is well hidden or maybe give it a command to fly away and find another hiding spot if something approaches it, we don't want it getting eaten by a cat or something.

What are our options in terms of ways to get our minions around the place without attracting attention? Could mice or other small animals move around on the outside without attracting too much attention? Are there vents or sewers or dungeons? Are the windows/doors usually open and could small animals pass through them?

Do prisoners of block A get to use the yard like everyone else?

What about windows? Do prisoner rooms have windows? Do their doors have windows a small animal could pass through?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 94