Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 116523 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #1305 on: June 12, 2020, 04:13:32 pm »

+1 to the above, but despite my vote for keeping her alive we should be ready to kill her if needed. I say we do our best to ascertain her threat to us before deciding.

If we can sneak in, we can observe. We can perhaps leave notes in her cell asking questions. If she shows any indication of being of use, we can save her. Otherwise, off her.

I feel like the overall idea is to be better than the bad guys. Killing anyone we find simply because it's more convenient sort of makes us the bad guys.
Agreed, what questions do we ask? About the projects?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 13, 2020, 04:34:38 am »

+1 To the plan.

Also it was said that they could magically track anyone that tried to escape or break into the prison, so even if we can avoid that by jumping to different body what's to stop them from tracking her once we get her out?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1307 on: June 13, 2020, 05:10:13 am »

Not much they can do if she's out of the country by then (assuming we can actually get her out of the country).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 13, 2020, 01:52:48 pm »

Besides sending assassins, you mean? Or maybe just a strategically placed bombing run.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1309 on: June 13, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »

I'm assuming that once she's out of the country it won't be cost-effective to go after her, especially if we assume her only worth is any information she can provide. During her debriefing she'll likely be at a fortified location. Once her debriefing finishes they won't have a reason to kill her. Unless they do it only to send a message and make her an example to everyone else who might try to escape. But again, I don't think people know enough about her to make such a message effective. So the only reason to do so left is to do so out of pure spite and there's not much we can do about that, beyond working to dismantle the state. At that point it's her responsibility (and the state's, to a lesser extent) to take precautions and make herself a hard target, someone who's not worth going after.

Of course that all changes if it turns out she has more to offer than information. But if that's the case we might want to keep her here so that she'll aid us.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1310 on: June 15, 2020, 12:03:45 am »

One gruesome alternative would be to poison their food supply with something slow acting and/or psychoactive. There's chaos, maybe some rioting, lots of people die, we swoop in and slurp her memories along with anything else we want, stab ourselves and make it look like a prisoner did it and then jump to another body in some safehouse. However I don't think Esme would approve of indiscriminate murder.

I don't think we should tell any lies but we shouldn't be too forward either, in case one of those people that can see the past come to investigate. We should say we're working against the state and want her for information. Promise to keep her safe and snuggle her off the country (assuming Esme can arrange for that). If she agrees to that, I think we should just go with breaking her out, along with some other prisoners to make it look like she got out in the chaos of an unrelated prison break. Maybe some of the prisoner names we got are of people belonging to some kind of Mafia-like organization that would be likely to break them out, so by letting them leave we can deflect some suspicion. Then once we get her out safely we can have a normal conversation without risking someone overhearing us. And if things go sideways we can always fall back on the "eat her memories" plan.

What kind of options do we have for breaking someone out? Could we steal a gateway vehicle from someone and get away with it? Or maybe kill a horse and keep it nearby to carry her away? How about explosives, could we use those to break a wall down like they do in westerns?

Finally, in order to avoid communication problems with Esme, could we safely leave a skull or head or something back in the library, in case we ever want to leave but also have a messenger there that can do better than screeching? I'm thinking we give her a small bone hidden in a ring or locket or sock or something like that that can be on her at all times and vibrate to let her know we want to call, maybe even give her some information about the reason we're calling depending on how it moves. Then depending on circumstances we either take over the skull and have a face to face conversation or we command it to speak. Maybe two skulls so we can have one for taking over and another for commanding.

You consider the situation until Esme returns. She puts her packages down on a table and walks over to where you're seated, staring up at the ceiling with your feet on the table as you think 

"Hows it going?" she asks, sitting on the table next to your feet.

You tell her about your idea for communicating by skull and bone first.

"Seems a good idea. Though, can you inhabit a single bone? Is there a limit to how broken up the body can be and still be a valid target for...whatever it is you're doing? And can you talk through things that shouldn't be able to? We know you can speak through things that shouldn't be able to speak normally, like skeletons, but does that mean you could 'speak' as just a small bone? If so, we could forgo the skull all together."

You tell her you're not really sure. Its something to check. You take a deep breath and tell her about your plan. Her face darkens as you go on. By the time you're done she is staring at the floor, or rather staring through, off at some distant place within her own thoughts.

"Listen." she finally says, not looking over to you, "I don't think you understand what you're asking for. Getting you in to talk to her, that we can do. Or at least we can give it a shot. If we fail that, the chances of you being found out are minimal, assuming you don't leave any huge clues for them to follow.  But breaking her out? That's...You'd basically be asking everyone involved to die for that. Even if we manage to smuggle her out -something I cannot get anywhere close to promising by the way- you think they won't come after us? Won't bomb her ship as she sails? Won't try to intercept her between the prison and that ship? She's a former -maybe current- ally of the state's number one enemy. They'd scorch the Earth.  That's the issue here. We could break her out but we'd never get away. The only possible way we could do this and it not be a damn suicide mission is by making sure she's not missed and that they don't know there even was a prison break.  The only way to escape them is by tricking them into thinking there is no reason to search for her in the first place.

Anything else, deflection or misdirection or whatever won't matter. They'll follow her, they'll read her history, they'll see us, they'll hear us, and they'll find us. Mafia or not, it doesn't matter because they'll be tracking us personally. Not the mafia or some nebulous spy organization, but you and me. "

She looks at you very hard.

"If you can think of a way to do that and convince me it will work...then I'll try to convince others. But this is NOT the sort of thing we can half ass or play by ear. Not unless you want a death squad kicking down our door.  That plan," She points to her bags which presumably contain the snake and drugs, "That I can get behind right now. Hell, I'm more behind killing her and absorbing her memories than trying to break her out. At least in that plan only she has to die, as opposed to all of us..."

You can tell Esme isn't just afraid, but angry. Frustrated. She said before that they'd tried things like this, that it had always ended in the death of everyone involved. You can imagine she's lost friends to it, lost important information, had to run and hide, hoping not to be on the receiving end of whatever a government kill squad is. You nod to her and think a moment.  You ask her if fire would work.

"What?"

Fire. If fire burning a body would prevent it from being able to be tracked.  If it could, then that might be the key to it. Same plan as before, but instead of sneaking in to talk with her, you could start a fire. Sneak her out in the chaos, making sure to leave a body behind to get burnt beyond recognition.  It would give you cover to escape, hide the fact that she's gone, and make it all seem accidental.

Esme clenches her jaw and thinks. "I don't know if fire will stop them. It depends on how their abilities work. Ideally don't want them to even think they need to look into it. Them not looking is the only way we can be positive they won't see us." She runs her hand across her hair as she thinks, unconsciously fussing with the braid and bun. "Assuming you can trick them into believing she's dead and the fire was an accident, how are you going to get her out? There will be guards everywhere, sentries, lookouts, and about 30 miles of wilderness between you and the check point, let alone civilization. If you take a vehicle, they'll know. If you run on foot they'll see you, or at least there is a good chance of it...."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 15, 2020, 02:47:28 am »

Sounds like we're better off getting into the prison, killing this bitch and eating her memories.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 15, 2020, 12:19:08 pm »

Yep.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 15, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »

Hey, if we broke her out, we'd be getting everyone involved killed. But does that matter, if everyone involved is a puppet or proxy body? All we have to do is orchestrate the whole thing on our own, which can't be too hard for a supergenius like us~
And probably create a skeleton secessionist state for her to seek asylum in. All we need is a huge, crushing amount of military power exclusively under our own direct control.

Hmph.

We should be ready for one eventuality, at least. Maybe she knows how to create something like us. In that case, we can help her become a lich and then escape through some untraceable bodyswapping process.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 15, 2020, 03:25:50 pm »

This is far-fetched, but can we telerot someone else around? Get into her cell, explain what's about to happen, swap her into a guard, kill her old body the guard now inhabits. I don't think we can actually do that though.

Unless... can we telerot into someone already alive? Then go in as a disposable body with an extra one (maybe a rat) and:

1. Telerot into a guard
2. Kill our former, now guard-possessed body (actually wouldn't it just die on it's own, since it's trying to attach a soul to a corpse, and I'm assuming we don't know how to replicate the Kell-Faber Line)
3. Get to colleague's cell as a guard and tell her what's going on
4. With her permission, telerot into her, thus putting her into the guard's body
5. Telerot from colleague's old body into our rat, leaving target's body dead/empty
6. Escape with us in the rat body and colleague in the guard body, thus avoiding suspicion
7. Once we return with colleague, telerot into us!Kelley's body
8. Done.

I can foresee two problems: we don't know if we can telerot into a living body (right?), and our colleague might be reluctant to abandon her old body.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:29:23 pm by Eschar »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:32 pm »

We already know yhat we can only enter dead non animated bodies, maybe we should get in uaing Esme's plan, and ask her what she knows about the Projects Puzzle, and the two other projects that I'm blanking the names of, there are two other projects, what are they called?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 15, 2020, 03:39:14 pm »

Mortar and Sinker, IIRC.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 15, 2020, 03:57:07 pm »

Yeah, a prison break seems untenable. Fair enough.

Now the question becomes how do we do ANY of this without alerting the powers that be to our presence? It's not her own self that they're going to be worried about, it's what she knows. If we get in there, kill and absorb, and they detect this in any way, the same hammer is going to be brought down on us.

At the very least they'd bring way more resources to bear on finding us or the rest of the resistance. So we have to decide whether or not it's worth the risk. Perhaps the worst part is we don't even REALLY know how useful this person or their knowledge is.

I think the best plan of action then is to sneak in and find out what she knows, then decide. Leave no trace, including a body, unless we must. We also run the risk of her using our need for secrecy against us as leverage. We should avoid giving HER as much specific info as we possibly can, as well. She could try to trade our location or identity for her own freedom, perhaps.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 16, 2020, 04:22:26 am »

What if while we're in the prison we cut a gas line and gas everyone in there, then we can eat all the memories we want.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 16, 2020, 09:36:09 am »

Will a gas line bleed enough to kill everyone quickly enough that no one goes to fix the leak? Also natural gas isn't poison gas, though it will suffocate people.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 94