Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wolf's Garden | 4/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Topless Bulgarian Engineering Fiction]  (Read 2814 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf's Garden | 4/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Have players, shenanigans to come]
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:47 am »

Turn 1

It's a mismatched and motley crew to be stranded in the badlands with, but if dramatic movies with sweeping soundtracks are anything to go by, a motley crew of mismatched individuals is the best kind of crew to be stranded with.

Dart, a pecuiliar looking gentleman whose pallor is likely going to turn lobster red in the burning sun, but could probably be used as a living emergency flasher in the meantime.

Edward Saylor, a man of such unremarkable appearance compared to the others that his very normalcy puts him out of place.

Radomir Vasilyev, whose size and clear muscle mass sets him apart as the most likely valuable meal source after he dehydrates like a Russian in a desert.

And some girl thing who nobody ever got the name of, but for some reason appears as though she's wearing a schoolgirl outfit instead of a stasis suit when you're not looking directly at her.

Nobody has a hidden stash of granola bars in their suit. Nobody has a map. Nobody has a clue why they were in that pod, how they got in that pod, or even really the faintest idea of who that pod belonged to.

You could spend some time investigating the pods themselves to glean a little, but the heat of the crescent sun is broiling. Every minute you spend not getting somewhere is a minute your body will spend sweating out what little water you have.

To recap your immediate surroundings....

To the west rise ridges that slope at peculiar angles and gradually grow to form flat topped mesas like stoney thunderheads.  To the east stretches more of the same arid terrain, with distant mountains barely visible against the haze. To the north the vegetation seems to grow very slightly more dense, and there's a glimmering suggestions of some kind of water on the horizon. To the south the the terrain looks much as the east, but without the promise of the mountains.

Spoiler: Dart - (Dgr11897) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ??? - (TricMagic) (click to show/hide)

The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:34:58 pm »

"Aw, fuck," the most muscular of those present mumbled, standing up slightly unsteadily with a couple of groans. "Well, guys, I have absolutely no idea what's going on, at all." He paused for a moment. "Do you guys have any idea? Probably not, huh. Well... guess we're all in the same boat, huh! My name's Radomir Vasilev, nice to meet you all. And..." Something finally seemed to occur to Radomir, as he looked up at the glaring... crescent sun, apparently. "Shit, it's hot. Auh. This suit sucks, too. I guess I'll try to correct that... Radomir began to try to shrug out of the top half of the Stasis onesie, with the goal of tying it around his waist and just keeping the onesie on his legs. Even as he was actively in the process of doing so, though, Radomir continued to talk. "So, you know, maybe we should go up to the plants up there. Maybe there's something with a branch I can tear out if anything comes around that needs thumping. Plus I think I see water."

((also, it's Vasilev rather than Vasilyev -- Bulgarian form of the same name))
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:24:47 pm by Powder Miner »

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:17 pm »

"Ugh. That was fun. Didn't like the guy with the bones," Edward grumbles, taking a moment to get his bearings. "Looks like we've found ourselves in something of a mess. Name's Ed, and I also suggest we head thataway," he waves towards the denser vegetation. "Best stick together. Strength in numbers and all that. "

Edward performs a quick search of his pod, looking for anything useful. Some form of fabric to keep off the sun perhaps, or a length of metal that could be used as a walking stick. Keep an eye out for pertinent information regarding what just happened.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 08:00:01 pm »

She tries to speak up, but her vocal cords aren't working for some reason. She falls silent...

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:55 pm »

Dart groans... "Why me?"
Looking over at the others he starts a bit "well, isn't this an interesting place."
In response to Radomir, "Hello, My name is dart, I have no clue what is going on either, but I'll go scout out the area that looks to hold water"
With that he prepares to head off to the north
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:57:18 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 12:49:36 pm »

Turn 2

Dart - Dgr

With that he prepares to head off to the north

After the minimal introductions have been made and it becomes clear that everyone in this situation is as in the metaphorical dark as you, you start to head north a little ways. [4] Without the slight vantage point of your mounded stasis pod, the shine of water on the horizon is barely recognizable. You can keep your bearings through a combination of keeping the distant mountains and the closer mesa mostly balanced in your vision, but this is going to be a helluva long walk. A little bit of mental arithmetic based on how fast the sun is moving tells you that you probably won't be able to make it to water before the sun goes down.

[6] Cursory scouting of the way, however, is still productive. Like many badlands, nothing is quite as dead as it seems. While eating random semi-alien fauna and flora is a desperate move, there are several types of cactus here that you could probably pound the marrow out of and pulp for a little water if you needed to. A small burrow made in mound of cracked soil indicates animal life, and where there's animal life, there's protein.

Granted, getting at anything without tools is going to be rough, but rough options are better than no options.

Spoiler: Dart - (Dgr11897) (click to show/hide)

Edward Saylor - Dread
Edward performs a quick search of his pod, looking for anything useful. Some form of fabric to keep off the sun perhaps, or a length of metal that could be used as a walking stick. Keep an eye out for pertinent information regarding what just happened.

[8] You make a quick run through not just your pod, but all of the fallen stasis pods. There's not a lot that's useful, but there are a few items. Much of the interior is soft foam and polymer, with little cloth that you can salvage. What few components you might be able to rip off inside are primarily mechanical and made to interface with the suit- unlikely to be worth the time spent ripping them off. You have considerably more luck with the exterior of the pods, their integrity somewhat lessened by reentry.

With a bit of work, you're able to free a pair of only slightly bent restraining rails -thumb thick neosteel bars approximately four feet in length- and salvage one of the polymer bags that had dispensed the impact foam. While the other three bags were torn to shreds, this one split cleanly and yields about 25 square feet of opaque grey plastic material.

Neo-steel restraining rail x2
Heavy plastic sheeting, 25sq. ft.

??? - Tric
She tries to speak up, but her vocal cords aren't working for some reason. She falls silent...

You do the silence. You do the silence good.

Spoiler: ??? - (TricMagic) (click to show/hide)

Randomir Vasilev

began to try to shrug out of the top half of the Stasis onesie, with the goal of tying it around his waist and just keeping the onesie on his legs.

[8] With rippling Bulgarian muscles, you're able to make some field modifications to your Onesie for the badlands climate. The end result keeps the pants around your legs and leaves the top half of your body free to gleam in the sun. If there were any interested women (or men, for that matter) in the area, their hearts would probably skip a beat.

It it occurs to you that, standing on your mound of impact foam rubble, stranded in the middle of nowhere on an alien planet, and half naked- you're one scantily clad woman away from being the cover of a very trashy romance novella.

That being said, it is strikingly more comfortable to not have your top half encased in the suit. At least it will be until you start getting sunburn.

-Your stasis suit has been successfully modified.

The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf's Garden | 4/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Going Topless]
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 07:01:49 pm »

"Perfect. Hey...Radomir, was it? Join me under this sheet before all that exposed skin starts falling off."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:36:14 pm by Dread »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »

If anyone was actually looking at her, they could tell she was annoyed. But no one was, so..

She taps this Edward, and tries to communicate taking the sheet with them to the north.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 09:44:36 pm »

((This is everything I could have hoped for, ahahaha.))

The now romance-novel-protagonist-esque Bulgarian looked up at the plastic sheet, frowning to himself. "I was never the smartest member of the engineering department back home, buuut I think that plastic might get real hot if we're holding it up right there in the sun forever, and we won't want to be holding on to directly when it does. I guess it might also get warm, but we might have that sheet holdable a while longer, and more useful for shade, if we kinda make a frame with those two neosteel pieces and attaching the plastic to 'em. Hell, let me have a crack at it! I bet I can figure it out. I can hold it if it works out."

Radomir attempts to create a square sun-shield by putting the two neosteel rails in a cross and attaching the plastic to the corners and center of these rails, ideally by tying but possibly poking the rails through the plastic if necessary.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 09:57:33 pm »

Would’ve loved to join, but PTW nonetheless!
Ain't nobody got time for that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 09:59:36 pm »

Tries to explain we should drag it north toward the water source. No water here.

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 10:19:04 pm »

"Oh, yeah, that's better. Hang on a second though, we don't have any wire or way to attach the plastic without damaging the sheet. What if we placed the rails under opposite edges of the plastic, then rolled the edges around the rails and carried those? Sort of like a giant scroll. The shadow cast would be larger, too."

Edward frowns at the girl. "You've been awfully quiet. Impact knock out your tongue?"

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 10:20:30 pm »

She taps her throat, then points in to the crash site before looking for material to make a sleigh inside it.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 11:09:31 pm »

I look to see if I can rig up a tool to assist with scavenging food, out of whatever I can find or scavenge, that no one else is using
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:58:14 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 12:53:49 am »

((dgr, I'm already trying to use those 2 rails))
Pages: 1 [2] 3