Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wolf's Garden | 4/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Topless Bulgarian Engineering Fiction]  (Read 2812 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Wolf's Garden

Your tongue feels fuzzy. Not the nice fuzziness of a kitten or a good scarf, more like the fuzziness on top of a mug of heavily sugared coffee that someone left out for a week or seven. You blink, vision blearily clearing. Your eyes don't feel much better than your tongue- pulsing with each heartbeat flaring with pain in time to the steady pulse of the strobing red lights. There's also a voice in your head, somewhat grating and barely intelligible to your sluggish mind.

"Warn. Gravity systems failing. Warn. Structural collapse detected. Warn. Emergency structural reinforcement shields failing. Warn. Life support systems critical. Warn. E-Coli detected in caferia cabbage supplies. Warn. Reactor room unsafe due to radiation leakage. Warn. All rooms adjacent to the reactor room unsafe due to radiation leakage. Warn. Safe room unsafe. Warn. Suicide rate of sapient beings on board has dramatically increased over the last hour. Warn. The fluid reprocessors are curre-"   

You tune out the monotone computerized voice of certain doom and assess your current situation. You feel monumentally hungover. You're in an upright position, with your arms and legs in rather sophisticated kinetic field restraints. A bit of testing reveals that you're not actually locked in, the restraints appear to be set to a resistance mode meant to keep you comfortably in position rather than bind you. Around you is a shell of metal and what appears to be glass, and there's a flickering HUD displayed on the inside. You have considerable difficulty getting your eyes to focus enough to read any of it without wanting to puke, but you can get the gist. You're in a stasis pod which is rapidly un-stasising due to fluctuations in the power supply. That's probably bad.

What's worse is that you have absolutely no memory of getting into a stasis pod.

Outside the stasis pod you can mostly see smoke, but in the red pulse of emergency lighting you can make out a hallway and you can see the glittering mirrored surfaces of other stasis pods around you. You briefly contemplate trying to fumble for the emergency catch, but the throbbing red exclamation points dancing around the stasis pod's external environmental monitor caution you that doing so would be a bad idea on par with high-fiving a live plasma conduit. Granted, the computer's warnings make staying put seem like an equally bad idea.

The weighing of your options between a fast and slow death is interrupted by a humanoid in a bulky environmental suit. Wreathed in smoke as he (she? it?) is, the bundles and spikes of the rescue-tech they've got on them look like jutting bones and animal skulls that they've tied to their suit with astrotape.

In your slightly incapacitated state, it's a funny mental image. Right up until they get close enough for you to see that the suited individual isn't packing rescue-tech. They actually have astrotaped a bunch of jutting bones and animal skulls to a space suit that they've also painted with a charmingly handmade thorny floral design. Around their waist and chest is belt a bulky set of ominous looking black cylinders. In their right hand is a dead-man's switch detonator.

"TWISTED ABOMINATIONS! HEAR ME! YOUR TIME IS AT AN END. YOUR FOUL MASTERS ARE DEAD. YOUR EVIL PURPOSE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO NOUGHT. I AM THE THORN THAT PROTECTS THE ROSE. I WILL RETURN YOUR FLESH TO THE SOIL, AND WE SHALL NOURISH THE GREAT MOTHER TOGETHER!"

There's just enough time to think 'Can we maybe not?' before they slam a suited thumb down on the detonator.

Liquid light explodes outward, freezing for a moment as burning green radiance coalesces around it- halting it a moment before it slams into your stasis pod and vaporizes you. Well, the cabbage might have E-Coli, but this room still has a working detonation management system.

"Warn. Detonation Management System failing in High-Value wing. Assessing solutions."

You don't have time to feel good about being called 'High-Value' before the computer keeps talking.

"Intiating emergency Jettison. Impact with planet expected to be non-fatal in at least 50% of all cases. All subjects are adviced to remember that they are property, and should wait in an orderly manner for retrieval- should they survive. If you do not survive, you will not be punished for being scattered by the impact or by the depradations of native animal activity or the elements."

There's no time to think before a heavy mechanical thud jolts your stasis pad to an angle and your kinetic restraints suddenly pulse to maximum strength- preventing you from so much as twitching. The green glow flickers, and the liquid light advances another foot in the flicker of an eyelash. Mag-rails whine around you, and the green glow wobbles a final time. It's the last thing you see before the acceleration of your cryopod being fired from a magnetic accelerator makes your vision flash red- then dead black.

----

A little surprisinginly, you wake up. Your head throbs in protest from the G-forces the ship's computer just subjected it to, but the rest of your body now feels like it was victimized by a savage mob rather than a three day pub crawl. Your pod door is slightly ajar, the locks disengaged by emergency procedure after the pod ran dry of internal power. The air filtering in from the ourside is hot and dry, but perfectly breathable. Dazed, you push the pod door open the rest of the way and struggle to your feet.

You stand on top of a blackened pile of impact foam, degrading rapidly now that it's down with its duty of shielding your body during reentry. The mound is still about five feet in height, and provides a surpisingly good vantage point to survey the arid landscape. The earth is cracked and yellowed, streaked here and there with silver clay. Shoots of bulbous vegetation sprout from cracks here and there, and more than the occasional spined cactus pokes up from the ground. A tumbleweed blows briskly by. A seeded world.

The sky above is a pale and metallic shade of blue, and a giant crescent sun burns down with a harsh blue-white light. Either the sun decided to defy physics on a whim, or there's some form of solar shield- whether an artificial barrier or a fortuitously locked moon. Regardless, the blue sun is still hot as hell where you are. If it's shy of 570* degrees, it's not by much.

To the west rise ridges that slope at peculiar angles and gradually grow to form flat topped mesas like stoney thunderheads.  To the east stretches more of the same arid terrain, with distant mountains barely visible against the haze. To the north the vegetation seems to grow very slightly more dense, and there's a glimmering suggestions of some kind of water on the horizon. To the south the the terrain looks much as the east, but without the promise of the mountains.

You have no water. You have no food. You're wearing what amounts to a onesie, designed to provide a conductive and insulative layer for the stasis pod to interact with, but not really ideal for much else. In a loose pattern around you are three other mounds of crushed and blackened impact foam, topped with a dead stasis pods. On top of those pods, much like you, are three other people stranded in the badlands with nothing but a onesie.

Well, at least you won't starve to death without getting the opportunity to embrace the alternative lifestyle of cannibalism.

*In the distant future, most everyone uses the Rankein scale. It's complicated.

---

Taking four characters.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:36:29 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf's Garden | 0/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Could use Players and Their Shenanigans]
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:49 am »

(This is a bump, since I moved this topic here and it automatically got sent back a couple pages.)
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:10 pm »

This looks cool, I'll make a character sheet later.dibs on a spot
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:49:07 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »

Are description and the last thing you remember doing before waking up in the stasis pod separate things? Also, what kinda effects do what you remember before you woke up in the stasis pod have? And finally, what are the attributes affecting, just your rolls, or something else?
My Power armor arms race

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:44:05 pm »

Also calling a spot. Can't miss out on the chance to participate in that 'alternative lifestyle'.

Character sheet soon to follow.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:52:46 pm »

Are description and the last thing you remember doing before waking up in the stasis pod separate things? Also, what kinda effects do what you remember before you woke up in the stasis pod have? And finally, what are the attributes affecting, just your rolls, or something else?

Yes, different font-weight since I imagine your description (What you look like) is probably going to short and to the point, whereas What-you-were-doing-before-you-found-yourself-in-stasis could range out to several paragraphs.

As for the Attributes... Really, just try and pick up what seems fun for you. We'll be rolling on a d8, so those bonuses can be pretty extraordinary at the higher end. Not every roll will have an attribute attached.

Best way I can put it is to find some mental image that typifies your character (An eagle, a mountain, a wildfire, etc) and try to build around that.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 07:01:43 pm »

.... Tempted to pump all of my points into speed, strength, or Projection. Or to put all my points into two stats...
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:08:01 pm »

Char sheet, with the first set of stats I could think of.
Name: Dart
Description: Skinny, tall, and incredibly pail skinned. His eyes are a bright orange and his hair is stark white.
What's the last thing you remember doing before waking up in a stasis pod: Hacking into a server before hitting it with a program to crash it.

Attribute Ratings Spend 12 points. Each point gives +0.5 to your rolls in that domain.
[Power:] 0
[Speed:] 6
[Durability:] 2
[Utility:] 0
[Projection:] 4
My Power armor arms race

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:27:33 pm »

Name: Edward Saylor
Description: Lanky and long-limbed, with rather unremarkable features. Exactly five feet and eleven and a half inches tall - Six feet to anyone who's not seen the medical records. Hair of dark blonde or light brown, it's not easy to tell through the buzz cut. Short stubble along the jawline is roughly the same length and doesn't help much. Dark brown eyes, and a resting expression that resembles boredom or perhaps disapproval.
What's the last thing you remember doing before waking up in a stasis pod: Eating breakfast. A healthy, balanced diet involving several cubes of rehydrated plant matter, dry legumes, some form of starchy white carbohydrate, and copious amounts of salt to impart something vaguely resembling flavour. One must make certain sacrifices in the interests of one's health. Especially when one experiences a profound and unwavering disinterest in putting effort into making food.

Attribute Ratings
[Speed:] 0
[Utility:] 8
[Projection:] 2

I'm helpful.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf's Garden | 2/4 | [Sci-Fi] [Could use Players and Their Shenanigans]
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:28 pm »

Name: ???
Description: Young Girl with white hair and red eyes. Has.. A school uniform?
What's the last thing you remember doing before waking up in a stasis pod: Lightning bolt crashing down on me.

Attribute Ratings Spend 12 points. Each point gives +0.5 to your rolls in that domain.
[Durability:] 8
[Utility:] 0
[Projection:] 4
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:12:53 am by TricMagic »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:59 pm »

I’ll toss my hat into the ring if this isn’t FCFS — given stuff I have to do for the rest of the day I won’t have time for a sheet if it is.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:13 pm »

I’ll toss my hat into the ring if this isn’t FCFS — given stuff I have to do for the rest of the day I won’t have time for a sheet if it is.

I'll consider your hat tossed. I'll probably wait until sometime tomorrow to accept the last couple of chars- so if your sheet gets in before whenever 'sometime' is, then it'll be fine and valid.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:03:23 pm »

I have a sheet completed but I’ll need to wait til I get home in 20-40 minutes to post it.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:09 pm »

I have a sheet completed but I’ll need to wait til I get home in 20-40 minutes to post it.

Oh, well, then that's just too long and I'll have to skip you entirely. Darn. Guess there's nothing we can do- seeing as I'm overwhelmed with competing entries for your slot.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 10:45:57 pm »

Name: Radomir Vasilev
Description: Radomir is a large man, standing at a solid 6'5" and rippling with musculature, the man in possession of a very chiseled and built frame. His hair is a dark brown and usually somewhat tousled -- Radomir doesn't bother with much grooming or keeping his hair cut too short, as as long as it isn't long enough to start taking work he's happy. His eyes are a striking blue color, he has varying levels of stubble on his face depending on how lazy he's being about it at any given time, and his face is usually in some sort of grinning expression.

What's the last thing you remember doing before waking up in a stasis pod: The engineering department of a space station stood somewhat confounded in front of a dilapidated, partially deconstructed wall which stood in front of the normally unaccessed vacant room that they needed to get into. There were expansion plans for the station, and of course it's always better to use whatever space exists on a space station than engage in costly construction, after all.

One man in an engineering jumpsuit, mousy and flinty-eyed, looked warily at one of his coworkers, none other than Radomir Vasilev, who was standing eagerly with a sledgehammer in his hands, for purposes every single person present would have had to be an idiot not to comprehend. Watching Radomir for a couple of seconds, the other man eventually opened his mouth. "Radomir, buddy... I think you should probably leave this one to us. I know you have a role in the department," (dumb muscle for breaking things, hauling things, or shooing off people who thought it was a good idea to try to sneak into the department or mess with the engineers) "you should leave this one to us. This doesn't quite call for your usual appro--"

"When all you have is a hammer, Zlatan..." Radomir said with a shrug, hefting the sledgehammer in his hands once more as the more proper engineer sputtered before getting a rhythm briefly back.

"Radomir, man, we don't just have a hammer, there are sensitive systems in the connecting walls we don't want to damage, we have lots of tools for delicate work so--"

Zlatan fell silent as Radomir raised a hand, and spoke with even more energy. "WHEN,"

"ALL,"

"YOU,"

"HAVE,"

"IS A,"

"MOTHER,"

"FUCKING,"

"HAMMER!" Radomir shouted, and then sent the sledgehammer slamming into the wall, slamming most of it right off of its long-weakened weld seams -- followed by a shower of sparks.

There was a hissed curse and then a deep sigh from the mousier of the two members of the engineering department. "Wow, Radomir, you can knock down a fucking wall. Can you fix all the wiring you just snapped?"

"Uh..." came the response.

"Yeah, I didn't think so. Asshole."

[Power:] 8
[Utility:] 2
[Projection:] 0
Pages: [1] 2 3