Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Lost Barbican (IC)  (Read 2192 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Barbican (IC)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:07:55 am »

The mol speaks " We also support contacting the Duergar. If they are friendly, it would be of great benefit to start trade with them to alleviate the food shortage. If, on the other hand, they are hostile, it would be better to know ahead of time, before we are attacked by surprise."

Miner's guild: set up an iron mine
Miner's guild 2: set up a gold mine
, if possible, or iron mine otherwise.
Research: New types of valuable mineral available in the vicinity.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:46:55 am »

Delegate Hezn pushes a note into the center of the table. Alright, have we decided on this as a general plan for defense and food supply?"

"Also, are we all willing to send our food stocks to the central stockpile for distribution for now? It will make distribution and bookkeeping, ensuring that all groups have their fair share of food, much smoother. It'd be only a temporary measure."

Docket Items: Plan 1
Food Supply: Half rations for those not in military or production buildings. Players will prioritize setting up farms and hunters. Food stocks will all be centralized until
Defense and Scouting: Blacksteel Axemen guard the West, Royal Guards guard the North, Militias guard the South. find a threat that they need to withdraw and defend against. Some Locksmith volunteers will also be on sentry duty. A Locksmith spy will go out under guard to make contact with the Duergar.

Quote from: Votes
Plan 1: Draxis

Freeholders' Association Orders
 - Farmers will set up a Farm
 - Hunters will push East, scouting/hunting unless they find a threat that they need to withdraw and defend against.
 - If other factions all agree, all 200 Food will be sent to the Central Stockpile.
 - Research: Improving/organizing underground agriculture. Cooperate with all other players who are doing the same.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 10:30:55 am »

Royal Guards guard the North
"Why have the royal guards in the north? We know there's a threat coming from the south, better to have the trained troops there.

I disagree with opening relations with the duergar this month. We need to present as strong a front as possible for trade talks with that scum, and I refuse to send any professional troops out when it would expose us. If we sent out civilians posing as a military?

They'd be slaughtered.

Still, I seem to be out-voted on that. I'll go along with it, but it's even more important for my lads to be on guard duty against a probable retaliation.

As for this,"

The Locksmiths Confederacy "organizes" 5 groups of malita.
in the event of them "hearing" or "seeing" things they are expected to run off towards the nearest actual military group and or raise the alarm
"This is a terrible idea, and I want the real troops on guard duty, not visibly sitting around while civilians do their jobs for them!"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 01:36:01 pm »

I can understand the reasoning behind waiting to contact the Duergar until we’ve consolidated our current position more effectively. I’ll support Ornal’s suggestion to delay the meeting, so long as we have assurance that there will be one.

Additionally, I agree that the Locksmiths’ Confederacy’s... “plan” is poorly thought-out, and would likely be ultimately detrimental to the sustainability of our new home.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 05:50:46 pm »

"I would like to agree with the previous speaker that the longer we sit on the Duergar doorstep without introducing ourselves the more we seem like a threat, and this any delays to this must, of necessity, be small. With that being understood, we can agree to delay sending an envoy another week, until the necessary bearings are got and militias trained, but no longer."

"Furthermore, in the interest of fairness, Earthstrike agrees to raise one, but no more, unit of militia out of it's population due to their unique talent for finding their way in the dark, should the council request it."
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 06:26:28 pm »

Blacksteel Mercenary Company

Blacksmith Guild > Forge
 Smith farming tools.
Research Steel Smelting

Axemen guard western corridor, where the duergar lurk and scheme.
Raise a militia from dwarves and humans.
Militia guards northern pass, lead by Captain Ornal.

((I'm not really expecting a bonus from Ornal leading, but it's good fluff to know where he is.))

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:50:08 am by Nirur Torir »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 12:39:56 am »

I propose to have the Hands of Steel male pistols this month, enough to arm one of our armies with. They’re innacurrate and weak compared to rifles, but significantly cheaper, and they fire faster. We will need half of our current stockpile of metal and wood in order to make them, however. Are there any objections to such an expenditure?

The Hands of SIlver will set up a Mage Hall, and use Rampant Growth on a Freeholders’ Association farm.
If given permission to use the requested resources, The Hands of Steel will build one arm’s worth of pistols. Even if not, they will still establish their Artificery.
Research: Magics that can allow people to subsist on lesser quantities of food without a loss of strength, morale, or other such things.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »

It seems we have a plan for defense and food. However there is one snag here. It appears there have been two requests made for the same iron from the central stockpile. One request for the blacksmiths, the second for the artificers. You must decide which group will be allowed to use the iron.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 06:22:14 pm »

"I say the iron must go to the blacksmiths- an army marches on it's stomach and that goes double (pardon the pun) for the civilians. I promise you, however, enough iron for both next week, for as soon as our mines are set up we shall dig deep and greedily"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 01:20:21 am »

Radulus looks around the table with what is probably disdain, though he's been half-lidded and unamused the whole time so it's hard to tell.

"As a reminder, we will require 6500 to 7000 talents of food to sustain our current population at comfortable levels. We are currently expected to produce 5050 on average, with 2050 of that being somewhat variable and thus not guaranteed. As additional expenses are vital to expanding operations elsewhere, it seems reasonable to assume three additional agricultural enterprises or a proportionate number of hunting enterprises for minimum sustainable agricultural output.

Given that insufficient sustenance represents an immediate and ongoing source of harm, whereas military threats represent a possible but not guaranteed source of harm, it would seem prudent to favor agricultural development over military development, barring specific information or circumstances to the contrary.

In summary, I concur with prioritizing metal supplies towards the blacksmiths."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »

And so the survivors of a world lost to evil, descended into an evil lost world. Within a few hours of forcing through the Lost Barbican, the group of survivors found a large cavern capable of housing the thousands of refugees. Within the day, the leaders of each faction had met and a plan to feed and protect their budding civilization was concocted. Soon the harsh realities of their new world world dawn on them.

The Tunnels

To the west duegar were spotted from the beginning, and as time went on, they grew bolder and bolder. The first few weeks occasional wanderers would be seen, mostly they seemed to be civilians going about their business. An embassary from the  Locksmiths talked with one of them and got some general information on the duergar. Still, not one approached but their distrusting gaze often fell on the Blacksteel Axemen. Then about a two weeks ago armed patrols would routinely pass by the area in full armor wielding mauls and crossbows. The men grow worried as they see this as a display of force, and some feel if we do not respond, they will grow even bolder. Yet among them are those who disagree. We are new to the area and these duergar could have lived here for thousands of years. They argue, that they must see us as Invaders and that we must dispell that image. While no direct contact has been made, it seems we must make an decision soon or they may make the first move.

To the south, comes the first attack on the colony. Over the course of the month, half a dozen mole hounds have sniffed out our food stores and have tried to into the colony. Of course, when confronted, they would prefer to flee rather than fight. While none of the royal guard were lost, one received a rather nasty bite. The mole hounds don't seem particularly hostile, more like scavengers looking for a meal in the endless tunnels.

To the east the hunters press outwards into the tunnels. Over the course of the month their hunts are quite successful. A few large amphibian species we're discovered, including olms the size of horses and a particular kind of yellow cave frog with a delicious sweet meat. All and all they collected 1700 meat for your people. While hunting, they came across a mushroom cavern full of large mushrooms and moderately sized pools, but spores lay heavy in the air. Three hunters which ventured in for less than an hour came down with a horrible cough that left them bedridden for a week!

To the north, the militia had a rather uneventful watch. For the majority of the month, the tunnels there were empty. Until a few hours ago that is. A group of snowtrolls, often referred to as yetis, stumbled upon your cavern! It seems they have entered the caverns to avoid the Dark Moon. The militia there is awaiting orders on what to do. 

As it seems, this first month has been rather eventful. We have a few issues that need addressing.

The first is the duegar. They are increasing their military presence nearby and this show of force does not bode well for us. We must either attack them, or send a diplomat to meet with their military encampment.

The second is the issue of these trolls. It seems there are about two hundred of them, perhaps three. The big beasts are wandering the caverns, likely in search of food. From the sounds of it, their leader, a two header by the name of Alkrak wants passage through our lands. This is rather dangerous for us. They stand as taller than a human, and are wider than the fattest dwarf. And that girth is mostly ice hardened muscle. If we allowed them passage, and they decided they would rather pillage our food stores, it would be much harder to fight them in the open area of our cavern than in the tunnels. They aren't bright creatures of course, but due to their strength, we must exercise caution when deciding how to proceed.

The Cavern

Ashbough
Ashbough farm was set up rather quickly and efficiently. The stoic grey elves set about it’s construction with precision and efficiency, each one doing their task with little more than the thought that it must be done. Several different crops were grown in the fields so that improved farming techniques could be studied. Murkroot as a starchy bland tuber, which grows large and at a medium pace. Whisper melons grow rather swiftly, but produce a strange silky flesh, as if thousands of spiders had built their webs inside the gourd. Of course, the eastern and southern dwarves had carried plump helmet seeds with them. A traditional dwarven staple, used for wine making and eaten raw since the age of the second dwarves. Lastly there are cave berries, a wild berry bush with nutty berries. These were your four crops and they were set in efficient lines and tended to with regularity. However, about three weeks into the month, a large bulbous growth appeared in your field. It disrupted your lines and your farmers have never seen anything like it. It’s blue and cyan, and somewhat shiny, about the size of a pumpkin. It’s smooth, like several spheres sort of melted together. It has roots and is a plant or fungi of some sort, but your farmers turn to you to decide what to do with this strange growth.

Lockpicks
The Locksmiths are a rough bunch, always have been, and always will be. They’re known to scrape and scrap their way through a tough world, and they do it well. But this is different. They aren’t soldiers and none are accustomed to the idea of living out the rest of their days in this barren cavern. So when they were drafted into a militia, fear and unrest began to rise within the faction. Luckily, within a week, the Pink Dragon Tavern was erected. A moderate tavern, given the lack of resources, but it was possibly the last tavern in the world, and that was enough for the colony. It was hugely successful, with lines leading out the door as downtrodden souls looked to dampen their somber future with a stiff drink. As the dwarven drinking songs echoed out into the cavern, spirits were raised and unrest fell.

Your “ambassador” goes to chit chat with a few duergar.

Earthstrike
Your two mines are set up without a hitch. The rocks of this cavern showed clear signs of being ore bearing, and within a day you located two iron viens. Within the week, your mines were erected and the ore began to flow.

You did a bit of research on the composition of metals in the area (6/4) and discovered a new kind of metal. Small iridescent flakes of a deep blue color could rarely be found mixed in the loose stone. You manage to find enough to identify the metal as blue opalaneum. When asked, any dwarven miner worth his pick can tell you stories of the metal. A rare deep metal, it will never melt no matter how much it is heated. No, blue opalaneum melts when it is cold. Only in the fiercest blizzards atop the highest mountains, with ice and lightning screaming through the air, only then were blue opalaneum blades forged. Only two races have ever used it to any great extent, the First Dwarves and the Snow Elves of Yjandarhar. Both of which, are long extinct and their histories eroded into rumor and speculation over the flow of time. Yet, if there are specks of it in the rubble here likely carried here on the water which formed this cavern, then a deposit must lurk somewhere nearby.

Freeholders
Whilest the Freeholder’s hunters are off on their hunt, the farmers get to work. Several different crops were grown in the fields so that improved farming techniques could be studied. Murkroot as a starchy bland tuber, which grows large and at a medium pace. Whisper melons grow rather swiftly, but produce a strange silky flesh, as if thousands of spiders had built their webs inside the gourd. Of course, the eastern and southern dwarves had carried plump helmet seeds with them. A traditional dwarven staple, used for wine making and eaten raw since the age of the second dwarves. Lastly there are cave berries, a wild berry bush with nutty berries. Through growing several different types of crops, you come to get a better understanding of subterranean farming, and feel as though you’re on the edge of breakthrough after collaborating with the Grey Elf farmers (3+6/10).

Though your farm is infested with a pest of unknown sort! They’re strange little beasts, the look like white spotted eagle rays, about the size of a human hand. They move across the cave floor with a wavy motion of their leathery “wings” gliding a few inches above the ground. Despite being able to go about a hundred yards with this strange gliding movement before needing to rest, it seems they cannot fly higher than this unless they climb up something to get an elevated start. Despite several being taken as pets, which the docile creatures seem moderately suited for, the vast majority of the swarm of them are pests, which affect your crop yields until dealt with.

Blacksteel
With the exception of the duegar presence increasing in the western tunnels, the Blacksteel civilians have a rather uneventful month. The forge is constructed and farming tools are created using the materials from the central stockpile. Though, on the third thursday of the month, one of your dwarves is struck by a mood! His name is Urgrist, he is a southern dwarf of golden skin and thick black hair. He demands two wood and six iron for what he calls, his masterpiece. He refuses to share the design or discuss what it is he desires to create with anyone, not even his close friends.

The Hands
The hands have a productive month. The artificery and the mage’s guild both set up their respective workshops and get to work. The mages work with the Freehold farmers on increasing yield, though it appears they have an infestation of some sort which damages yields. The artificers craft enough pistols to outfit an army with, these powerful arms would be far more deadly than a crossbow, if it weren’t for their accuracy issues.

As you research magic which would require people to subsist off less, you find it is more difficult a task than one may imagine. Without the proper amount of food, bodies tend to begin breaking down. You believe you can halt that process and stave off starvation, though it is a complicated spell and your mages would be hard pressed to affect more than a hundred or two individuals even once you fully develop the spell (7/20).

The Royal Bureaucamancers have dispanded the central stockpile system! While food is still distributed evenly, unless affected by a ruling from the Counsel of Lords, the lords now retain their creations and resources. Over the next month they will construct a market place for sale of items and resources, but for now, the Lords must trade amongst themselves. 

Spoiler: To be Continued (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »

"It warms my heart that in a month we seem to have progressed from tribal communism into capitalism entirely bypassing the slave-holder and feudal stages." The mol puts on a visor and suspenders "as such we would like to purchase 1 month futures in picks at 270 gold per unit, as well as foodstuff commodities at 0.1 gold per unit, and finally float an offer of iron at 1.1 gold per unit.
And preemptively propose a motion to outlaw labor unions and strikes of any kind until such time as the current state of emergency (vis-a-vis the dark moon) is ended."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:53:23 pm by a1s »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 11:52:52 pm »

"Given their impressive strength, I propose remaining on good terms with the ice trolls. Indeed, I would be interested in personally negotiating with them for future service. Obviously, any excessive belligerence should be answered with crushing force and enslavement.

Given the council's interest in negotiating with the duergar, I encourage interested parties to work out who will actually lead this endeavor. I lightly propose Blacksteel, as he has displayed willingness to stand against them on equal footing."

Radulus then turns to the suspendered Mol.

"Attempting to inflate the price of iron is likely to inflate the price of labor in general, resulting in possible complications and no net gain. You may wish to reconsider."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 10:55:02 am »

"For the matter of Duergar negotiations, I would like to propose a Locksmith emissary as  he is the one with the necessary diplomatic training to accurately ascertain what we are dealing with." John Peter adjusts his non-functional visor " As for the price of iron, we are willing to negotiate down for both regular bulk orders and projects of collective security importance. The fact remains, however, that to produce any sort of "net gain", we must in principle sell iron for more money than it cost to mine, and with the coming military security tax (and as newly forged capitalists we can no longer expect them to protect us out of the kindness of their hearts) and the food shortage(or, as it's called in capitalism, underpricing) that is at least 1 gold per iron ingot.
Pages: 1 [2]