Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 130998 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.61
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2020, 05:08:09 pm »

Totally agree, I imagine alot of the exo-armor to be more bulky or lighter, just depends on what the description I get from them. Also your boys taking down a dragon gunship would be amazing to see in art form. Did they go at it melee style or did you have some ranged weapons to shoot it down? Also would love to see your settlement here :D. I lost my first squad tonight to a bad demand for tribute from one of the bird people settlments so now I'm arming a nova-5 heavy armored squad with bio-frames and anti-personnel and anti-armor machines to back up them up when they head out with ancient nano swords and coil-pistols in my attempt for revenge.

The helmet from that Redshift one in particular actually made me think of this mod. :P

And took it down in melee! Six of the 8 guys in the unit at the time swarmed it while it was attacking a ganesha I had chained by the north gate. Only ranged contribution was one of my whopping three railgunners at the time taking a potshot while she ran away from the thing.

Most of them are using K2 Magnifigue armor with y-visored helmets, apart from the militia commander who is packing a suit of Starner-V armor, with thier gear varying pretty wildly with several swords, axes, shivs, and a pile bunker.  Basically ended up taking a typical fantasy engagement (knights vs dragon,) but making it IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE (for practical purposes.)

The rangers are all using Valiant-14s with the squad leaders using Valiant-16s (I like to imagine the only practical difference between them is down to better communication and tactical software and some minor aesthetic tweaks,) with one team currently comprised of 5 railgunners and another of 3 chemgunners packing shotguns. Their helmets are more varied, with several three-eyed models, an x-visor, and a couple four-eyed variants.

My dudes are all standard humans instead of any uplifts, off-worlders, or upper class mucky-mucks, in particular of the I guess "Republic" flavor, as opposed to the Communes or Corporatists. Was sheer coincidence.

Two things have sort of stuck out to me though. Well, three, but one is more of a minor nitpick than anything.

The pile bunker thing is a weird name and position I'll admit, but basically they're "spears" that extend and retract really fast, so I dunno where else to put them. "Pile Bunker" as a name was invented and popularized by the Japanese I think, so idk what the rationale was, but to me, the important thing is that if you google the name, you'll know exactly what it is and how it works.

As for the dyes and stoneware, that'll hopefully be fixed in the upcoming update.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 05:10:18 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2020, 06:08:12 pm »

Now then, for the settlement of Goalrun! Click to enlarge.

As previously stated, my own settlement is a surface one due to aquifer hassles (and uses the default color palette and tileset.) While the palette is very same-y, it grows on you quickly and the ambient music is super ominous and bleak feeling. Like something terrible is always going to happen even when literally nothing is wrong. I also had to turn weather off for this, as the area I settled has literally non-stop rainfall.

Most of the buildings are constructed from corroded metal panels, essentially, with windows made of circuitry (I imagined them as being light up frames with plastic panes,) and everything else being made of scrap metal. Petrified wood is used for decorative statuary, given its rarity. There's no real dedicated pasture space, with the factory worms currently just kinda hanging out hoovering up rubble, as I have more food and raw materials than I know what to do with thanks to an extremely aggressive campaign against the local wildlife. There's not really anything to speak of up above this z-level, apart from the upper floors of the library, apartments, and bunkhouse.

What structures and rooms aren't made of old metal, is made from Grade C nanotechne, since we're able to get plenty from killing the local mutant population.

The first underground level. Most storage is below ground level, along with many residences out of safety and planning concerns.

Bottom level above the aquifer. While the aquifer isn't hard to go through, it proved enough of an annoyance that it wasn't really worth it to set up under it. The town has no cavern access, just the large mining tunnels below this layer of plastic garbage. Those aquifers also feed multiple wells, ensuring everyone has ready access to to clean... Ish, drinking water.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:16 pm »

Wrt size, it is cubic centimeters which is important because I believe the game calculates the mass by using the density of the tissue. So in this mod where many critters have layers made of various nanotechnes, which range from as dense as nickel (grade-A) to aluminum (grade-S), you can get critters much heavier than organics of the same size. I think that is only important for blunt damage calculations or things like shoving in a wrestling match but you will need to be careful if you plan to cage them as they then have to be carried.

For some real life comparisons:
  • A wolf is about 0.04 m2 (40 kg) or 40,000 u
  • A polar bear is about 0.45 m2 or 450,000 u
  • A cow is about 0.5 m2 or 500,000 u
  • A hippo is about 1.5 m2 or 1,500,000 u
  • An elephant is about 5 m2 or 5,000,000 u
  • A humpback whale is about 30 m2 or 30,000,000 u
  • A blue whale is about 100 m2 or 100,000,000 u

So it looks like a lot of these bioframes fall between hippo- and elephant-sized with the biggest ones topping even that (about the size of a cow riding a hippo riding an elephant). Meanwhile the ADW classes range from elephant- to humpback whale-sized. With plasma-cannon turrets.

Don't forget that there is now a wiki set up for this mod where you can go for all sorts of quick answers. Like playing the base game, I keep it on in the background at all times. If you see anything wrong that needs updating, throw it up there. I know the materials page and animal butchering column on creatures in particular need some love as there's a lot that isn't self-explanatory in the raws.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night:_Creatures

I think two good additions to put into the wiki would be what weapons and armor is available to what factions. I would love to know what factions had (for example) the bandit style exo-armors, so anyone can go for a bandit style settlement.

And the second addition would be what bio-frames and machines are tide to what factions. For example the caeser class anti-personnel anti-vehicle models for the Neo-Human/Executors.

Yet another addition would be maybe a quick start guide that can be universal for faction embarkments. Like how to set-up a nanotechne production quickly in the first year and possibly pros/cons for each faction. There's alot that could be added into the wiki like flavor text, detailed faction specific info, play styles, and pictures ;). I'm more incline to add faction specific pages with some lore/history, armor/weapons tree, general descriptions of what a faction race member looks like, ect.

And I've been using your wiki so much for the past few nights, very well put together :D Thank you for your work good sir.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:17:09 pm by Striderdarnell »

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2020, 08:20:23 pm »

Amazing looking upper settlement, gives me the classic fallout 2 feel and look of it. Also you gave me an idea to start up a star-cult militant fortress where the cult arms themselves in high-tech gear going out and kidnapping mutants or uplifts, offering them to their star-gods. I wonder how effective is an unarmored squad of ranged soldiers with a mix of rocket launchers, rifles, and shivs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2020, 11:21:28 pm »

And I've been using your wiki so much for the past few nights, very well put together :D Thank you for your work good sir.
I'm glad to be a help. Honestly, it started as me keeping notes on scratch paper just to help myself play, but then I figured I ought to share and hopefully some folks would help me back. So I appreciate the feedback.

I think two good additions to put into the wiki would be what weapons and armor is available to what factions. I would love to know what factions had (for example) the bandit style exo-armors, so anyone can go for a bandit style settlement.

And the second addition would be what bio-frames and machines are tide to what factions. For example the caeser class anti-personnel anti-vehicle models for the Neo-Human/Executors.
I already have a stream-lined list of these. They can be found under each civ's description on the Civilization page. If you mean something more comprehensive like a full-on massive checkbox-filled table, I can look into it. I suppose knowing precisely which advanced armor the Titanians can make could be beneficial and I might have already copied that out anyway.

As far as critters go, I've included the ones that are expressly granted to each civ, however a lot of creatures have the [PET] tag meaning they have a high chance of being domesticated if encountered in world-gen. It might even be automatic it they are in the correct biome. For instance, Asuras do not get general domestics, just nanomutants and their own bioframes, but even on embarks with 5 year histories, I've gotten the option to embark with numerous other bioframes, utility worms, giant tardigrades, etc, meaning those species were caught and domesticated by the civ in those 5 years of world-gen. The only things they have no chance to get are things with no natural biomes or if they are forbidden in the entity file.

The only ones with exclusive options are the Nobles, Neo-Humans, and Asura.
Yet another addition would be maybe a quick start guide that can be universal for faction embarkments. Like how to set-up a nanotechne production quickly in the first year and possibly pros/cons for each faction. There's alot that could be added into the wiki like flavor text, detailed faction specific info, play styles, and pictures ;). I'm more incline to add faction specific pages with some lore/history, armor/weapons tree, general descriptions of what a faction race member looks like, ect.
A quick-start guide could be useful, I'll look into it. I originally did have a guide written up for the 2.5 method of nanotechne-crafting which used any metal bar available (typically closest non-tasked) and therefore you had to careful that you kept the grade-C bars away from the smelter or it would use them. But that's obsolete now. (And grade-N is better anyway. Asura forever!)

I'm expressly avoiding taking the lore into my own hands. In fact most all of the lore bits are just copy-pasted from the first couple of posts in this thread. This project is squamous' vision and the lore is his to write, in my opinion. That said, he's revised it a bunch from where he started already, so if I was pressured to guess, he probably wouldn't mind some genuine, polite, and well-thought-out assistance in painting out the edges and corners.

But I think flavor-text snippets throughout the wiki would be great. I'm not clever enough for all that, so feel free to knock yourself out. I've tried to reach out to Kruggsmash about permission for the art he did on his episode of this mod but he hasn't replied and without being a patreon it's probably lost in the crowd.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm just happy to hear it's being used.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:50:38 pm by deusvult6 »

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:59 pm »

I already have a stream-lined list of these. They can be found under each civ's description on the Civilization page. If you mean something more comprehensive like a full-on massive checkbox-filled table, I can look into it. I suppose knowing precisely which advanced armor the Titanians can make could be beneficial and I might have already copied that out anyway.

Yep a comprehensive check-list of armor for each faction was what I was thinking too. Sorry for my poor grammar. I believe the colony human factions like Euro, Martian, Jovians, sub-humans, and Titanians don't have access to bio-frame/bio-morphs. Got multiple up-lift and the said list above not having access to them, but Nobles, Post-Humans, Neo-Humans do have access. Now they do have morphs for anti personnel and anti vehicles along with our friendly giant tardigrades.

(Had a quick check through civ/fac descriptions)

Unless you meant that all the factions could TRADE for bio-frame models, other then that I don't see them being able to embark with bio-frames.

A quick-start guide could be useful, I'll look into it. I originally did have a guide written up for the 2.5 method of nanotechne-crafting which used any metal bar available (typically closest non-tasked) and therefore you had to careful that you kept the grade-C bars away from the smelter or it would use them. But that's obsolete now. (And grade-N is better anyway. Asura forever!)

I'm expressly avoiding taking the lore into my own hands. In fact most all of the lore bits are just copy-pasted from the first couple of posts in this thread. This project is squamous' vision and the lore is his to write, in my opinion. That said, he's revised it a bunch from where he started already, so if I was pressured to guess, he probably wouldn't mind some genuine, polite, and well-thought-out assistance in painting out the edges and corners.

But I think flavor-text snippets throughout the wiki would be great. I'm not clever enough for all that, so feel free to knock yourself out. I've tried to reach out to Kruggsmash about permission for the art he did on his episode of this mod but he hasn't replied and without being a patreon it's probably lost in the crowd.

Oh yeah, I was going on the idea of being as faithful as possible to squamous's original vision and the lore he has set down. Not setting up anything new, just using whats there and adding it to future expanded faction pages on the wiki. Like Nobles getting a whole page for themselves with what the faction is able to make and has access too, like how they have access to the Gundai-class bio-morphs and the Jiken-Bak exo-armor set. Not to mention their large collection of faction specific clothing and the rest of the bio-morph collection open to them.

And like the Nobles, all the other factions can get some love for them as well, with their own pages with detailed information on exo-armor sets, clothing, weapons, bio-morphs, vehicles, machines, race descriptions, and such. Even some nice art that closely represents the civ's species or exo-armor.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:22 am »

Yep a comprehensive check-list of armor for each faction was what I was thinking too. Sorry for my poor grammar. I believe the colony human factions like Euro, Martian, Jovians, sub-humans, and Titanians don't have access to bio-frame/bio-morphs. Got multiple up-lift and the said list above not having access to them, but Nobles, Post-Humans, Neo-Humans do have access. Now they do have morphs for anti personnel and anti vehicles along with our friendly giant tardigrades.

Unless you meant that all the factions could TRADE for bio-frame models, other then that I don't see them being able to embark with bio-frames.

I did say the critters are tricky. The embark screen is not comprehensive as there is an element of in-game random chance as well. In the entity files (in /raws/objects) one will find all the specifics of any given civ. For Europans, look in entity_organic_human_refugee.txt. There are 2 designations for animals, either permitted ([ANIMAL_CLASS:XXX]) or forbidden ([ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:XXX]). The permitted class are not guaranteed unless accompanied by the additional [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT] tag. Then there's also the common domestic tags that grant the use of appropriately-marked animals.

Bioframes are permitted to Europans, but not guaranteed which is why I wrote "access to bioframes" next to pretty much every faction. If you want to up your chances, pick a civ that has some settlements in mountain biomes. They are likely to have encountered them and with the [PET] tag they'll get scooped right up. OR play it ballsy and embark in the mountains and capture them yourself. I like to overlap with mountains for just that reason though so far all I've caught are forest penguins and cleaner worms. They actually tend to spook pretty easy but the war ganeshas pastured out front of my gate might help a bit.

Speaking of that, @squamous, is plasma known to be effective? I had a Zuric-type running though my pasture shooting many of my animals with no effect. Baby ganesha took 3 hits to the neck and adventurer worms took a bunch of hits all with no noticeable effect. Nothing about damage in their descriptions or on Dwarf Therapist. Maybe they just have resilient hides? If so, they're working perfectly. I was hoping he'd come back and shoot the trashgulls for comparison but the adventurer worms refused to let up.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2020, 01:33:23 am »

I did say the critters are tricky. The embark screen is not comprehensive as there is an element of in-game random chance as well. In the entity files (in /raws/objects) one will find all the specifics of any given civ. For Europans, look in entity_organic_human_refugee.txt. There are 2 designations for animals, either permitted ([ANIMAL_CLASS:XXX]) or forbidden ([ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:XXX]). The permitted class are not guaranteed unless accompanied by the additional [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT] tag. Then there's also the common domestic tags that grant the use of appropriately-marked animals.

Bioframes are permitted to Europans, but not guaranteed which is why I wrote "access to bioframes" next to pretty much every faction. If you want to up your chances, pick a civ that has some settlements in mountain biomes. They are likely to have encountered them and with the [PET] tag they'll get scooped right up. OR play it ballsy and embark in the mountains and capture them yourself. I like to overlap with mountains for just that reason though so far all I've caught are forest penguins and cleaner worms. They actually tend to spook pretty easy but the war ganeshas pastured out front of my gate might help a bit.

Speaking of that, @squamous, is plasma known to be effective? I had a Zuric-type running though my pasture shooting many of my animals with no effect. Baby ganesha took 3 hits to the neck and adventurer worms took a bunch of hits all with no noticeable effect. Nothing about damage in their descriptions or on Dwarf Therapist. Maybe they just have resilient hides? If so, they're working perfectly. I was hoping he'd come back and shoot the trashgulls for comparison but the adventurer worms refused to let up.

Plasma should be super dangerous and melty, if it isn't then I dunno why. I'll check.

EDIT: Alright so basically plasma is super lethal (possibly one-shot-kill lethal) against unarmored inorganic targets. Creatures made out of metal or with a metal exterior resist it much better, but I think if you pile enough plasma goo on one it should go down eventually or at least catch fire. Basically, it's reskinned molten metal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:36:25 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2020, 03:11:44 am »

My apologies then, I ran up two worlds just to test out the civs and had no access. Ill make sure to look through the files next time   ;)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2020, 06:19:15 am »

-snip-

What's your exact technique for roofing when making above-ground forts?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2020, 08:05:47 am »

-snip-

What's your exact technique for roofing when making above-ground forts?

It varies from building to building. The temples, manager's house, and representative's house all have partial or completely peaked rooves to some extent (a set of ramps with a wall set inwards from that) as does the gate control hut by the bar. The remainder use typical box set-ups, mainly because I needed those structures done quickly (in the case of the surface-level apartments and houses) or where aesthetics was simply secondary to their purpose (the hospital and all of the barracks buildings.)

Walls just get an overhang on the walkway side, to keep idiot crossbowmen or in this case, rail and chemgunners, from hopping the damn firing positions since like, half of them don't have bayonets.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.65
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2020, 05:05:35 pm »

Thanks for the new version. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a bunch when I get some free time. I had found a potential bug in the last version and it's still present here
  • [ENTITY:RAKSHASA] file has typo in line 7: SITE_CONTROLLABLE does not have brackets. Explains why I haven't seen them as an embark option.
But after thinking about it, I realized it might be intentional. Sorry if that's the case.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2020, 05:12:07 pm »

Thanks for the new version. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a bunch when I get some free time. I had found a potential bug in the last version and it's still present here
  • [ENTITY:RAKSHASA] file has typo in line 7: SITE_CONTROLLABLE does not have brackets. Explains why I haven't seen them as an embark option.
But after thinking about it, I realized it might be intentional. Sorry if that's the case.

They're meant to be psychotic raiders, yeah. I'm keeping them as non-playable for now but I left the line there in case I change my mind at some point

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2020, 02:49:43 am »

Went through my old bug lists and it looks like you addressed nearly all of them except these, so maybe they aren't bugs at all, but here you go:
  • Blue whale has 2 child ages (1 and 10)
    • Speaking of these guys though it looks as though, with no natural biome and no civ automatically granted them that they will not spawn in game, so maybe they're on hold atm?
  • Both tar clay and plastic refuse create recycled plastic (earthenware)
    • Is this intended? Seems weird for plastic refuse to come out of a kiln the same as tar clay, should it be called something different at least? (Unless petrochemical processes are going on I suppose, didn't think of that at first)
    • Also with a non-zero absorption tag, recycled plastic will need to be glazed before it can hold liquids. Is this an error or is it just very porous?
  • Multiple pet value tags with different values for transport drones and most vehicles(all but walkers)
  • Dolphins, gorillas, octopi, subhumans, rakshasas, and yaksha are all big enough to wield all weapons single-handed which, honestly isn't a problem for melee weapons or even rifles but it's funny to think of a dolphin dual-wielding bows. I suppose if their hands are big enough they could just draw it with their thumbs, but I don't know :P.

EDIT: BTW, nothing to do with bugs but ever since I saw megastructure in the mod, I wondered if you were a Tsutomu Nihei fan?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:08:46 am by deusvult6 »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2020, 04:38:42 pm »

Went through my old bug lists and it looks like you addressed nearly all of them except these, so maybe they aren't bugs at all, but here you go:
  • Blue whale has 2 child ages (1 and 10)
    • Speaking of these guys though it looks as though, with no natural biome and no civ automatically granted them that they will not spawn in game, so maybe they're on hold atm?
  • Both tar clay and plastic refuse create recycled plastic (earthenware)
    • Is this intended? Seems weird for plastic refuse to come out of a kiln the same as tar clay, should it be called something different at least? (Unless petrochemical processes are going on I suppose, didn't think of that at first)
    • Also with a non-zero absorption tag, recycled plastic will need to be glazed before it can hold liquids. Is this an error or is it just very porous?
  • Multiple pet value tags with different values for transport drones and most vehicles(all but walkers)
  • Dolphins, gorillas, octopi, subhumans, rakshasas, and yaksha are all big enough to wield all weapons single-handed which, honestly isn't a problem for melee weapons or even rifles but it's funny to think of a dolphin dual-wielding bows. I suppose if their hands are big enough they could just draw it with their thumbs, but I don't know :P.

EDIT: BTW, nothing to do with bugs but ever since I saw megastructure in the mod, I wondered if you were a Tsutomu Nihei fan?

I missed the blue whales, not sure what the second point is about, thought I fixed the earthenware thing so idk why it didn't work, will look into that, I am unsure how much of the clay-making process is hardcoded so I've mostly left it alone for now, pet values are overwritten by the one below it so that's not really a problem but it is messy I will admit, and the last issue is partially intended because they are meant to be big races. That said, NPCs simply don't dual-wield ever unless the player forces them so it's a moot point.

I do enjoy Nihei though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25