Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting someone else's hands dirty  (Read 3329 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Getting someone else's hands dirty
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:37:18 pm »

As you may be able to tell, I had a little trouble coming up with a sensible title for what I'm thinking about...

I've previously espoused my love for Majesty, and its "hands off" style of gameplay. While you could indirectly influence the actions of your heroes and try to play to their strengths and personalities, you weren't the one assigning them to a number group and sending them to rush your opponent's second HQ. They pretty much took care of their own things, and you provided pointed encouragement for them to maybe kill the dragon terrorizing your economic sector. I still very much love the game, and I feel that it's a "genre" that's gone sadly underrepresented in gaming as a whole.

But expanding upon just that, I've also recently been thinking about some other instances of getting a patsy to fight your battles for you. I still have very fond memories from back in the days of the Sins of a Solar Empire demo, wherein I established a wholly-economic trade empire and more or less bought friendship and non-aggression pacts with the AI players, allowing me to further focus on moneymaking in peace. I then spent the rest of the game manipulating everyone against each other, consistently outbidding the pirate bounties and siccing them on other players, and sending well-timed "diplomatic gifts" to AIs on the losing side of the latest batch of infighting, making sure that no one player ever managed to entrench themselves in a position of power... Eventually, everyone else was still squabbling and utterly dependent on my trade routes and donations as I fostered conflicts and cornered the black market, right up until I flipped the switch and pushed out an unstoppable armada to clean up the stragglers and officially end the game. Again, I loved playing a more "back seat" role in the game, and pulling strings to get everyone else to do the actual battling.

In Age of Wonders 3, there's an option with cities that lets you release them as "vassals", whereupon they are no longer under your control, but will automatically spawn their own garrison (whose upkeep they will foot the bill for!) and will send you a percentage of the city's actual income potential. This is one of the few things I actually really like about the third installment over its predecessors, but unfortunately it falls a little bit short in the grand scheme of things... The vassal city's units will never do anything beyond just sitting on their own holdings (and I don't think it even produces new ones should the first group get killed off), and the city won't develop or upgrade itself in any meaningful fashion, so you're generally better off just doing the job yourself.

Heroes of Annihilated Empires is something of an oddball, for many reasons... One such reason is that the game effectively lets you choose whether you want to play it as an RPG or as an RTS when fighting a skirmish or online battle. You pick a hero, and then choose whether or not you want to spawn some workers. Spawning workers will freeze your hero into stasis for a long period of time, but will give you a handful of workers that will let you build up your base in classic RTS style, allowing you to gather resources and field a sizable army. If you choose not to, however, then you retain control of your hero and then go off in search of neutral spawns to creep and enemy bases to harass, in order to gain in levels and gold in order to buy better equipment for your hero (plus lots of healing potions and magic scrolls and whatnot)... If you go the RPG route, you can also approach some of the neutral creep camps and buy them out. This then causes the camp to spawn groups of creeps that will automatically head off to raid enemy holdings, which was a concept that totally blew my mind back when I played the demo approximately 300 years ago (feels like it, anyways). But this too had its failings... As I remember it, the creep camps were hysterically powerful compared to your one flimsy little hero, so by the time you even managed to knock over some gnolls (if you even had the money to buy their allegiance, which you didn't), then the RTS players already had a standing army and some tier 2 upgrades finished, rendering the small creep party effectively meaningless.

Kohan: Ahriman's Gift... Another unorthodox RTS, this one didn't give you very many legitimate methods of doing this kind of indirect control stuff... Sure, individual units in a platoon would move, target and fight independently once battle was met between two parties (and I gotta say, this really was pretty cool. Especially with spellcasters sitting in the back and just mercilessly blasting everything to bits), but you still directly built and controlled those platoons. However, the game also had a rather snazzy map editor, and simply placing a monster den under your side's control would cause said den to regularly spit out raiding parties who would independently explore and patrol the map... Depending on the type of den you placed, it would also occasionally spawn more dens, giving you a steadily-increasing empire of extremely directionally-challenged mooks. This was actually put into use during at least one of the campaign missions, and it's another one of those experiences I lump under the "pretty cool" heading.

To my knowledge, most games in the vein of DOTA or LOL will have the automatic creep waves spawn for each team, but they typically serve no greater purpose than serving as XP and gold piñatas for the players to bash open, and there's generally not a whole lot you can do with them beyond giving them a firm slap to make the money fall out.

I've never actually played it myself (and I accept and understand any requisite shunning because of this), but Jagged Alliance 2 allowed you to recruit and train local rebels who would then do their damnedest during missions to run around like moderately-armed chickens. The 1.13 community patch greatly expanded upon this feature, making it even more coolier than before, and allowing you to actually use the militia members on offensive missions, which massively increased their usefulness and versatility.

I can only assume that Crusader Kings 2 has a lot to offer in the way of pitting other leaders against each other in devious machinations, and letting vassal states provide the beef with which you smack your enemies across the face, but for whatever reason I never really got properly into it... Maybe it's because I never actually played the game properly and kept trying to make completely unworkable minmaxed custom leaders who inevitably got nothing done.

It's probably fairly apparent, but I had a dickens of a time trying to formulate my feelings into actually coherent thoughts about this general concept... On the one hand you have units that are officially yours but not under your direct control (Majesty, Kohan), and on the other you have that tangent about Sins of a Solar Empire with hiring pirates to go after people and keeping them too angry at each other to bother fighting with you directly. I think the takeaway here is more just about having forces not be under your direct control (so you can comfortably sit back and watch them duke it out without feeling responsible for optimizing their every move), and preferably not be a specific drain on your resources.

What I mean by that last point is things like, in the case of Sins, although I was paying a lump sum (often a quite variable one) to order a pirate strike, I wasn't the one paying to build the infrastructure and construct each individual ship. Similarly with Heroes of Annihilated Empires, although you're paying (through the nose...) for a creep camp, once it's built it'll take over the day-to-day expenses of sending a group of angry beastmen to their doom every so often. Majesty had a specific drain, in that each hero was directly hired and paid for by you, and so every individual death was a bad return on your investment... Which is probably part of why I liked doing custom maps with the constant trickle of (free) heroes from outside the map so much.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ramble? Personal opinions on the split between direct individual control and indirect control? Examples of games with related systems?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Getting someone else's hands dirty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »

Distant Stars is very much like what you describe, in the way that you can automate fleets and stuff. Plus I always liked watching all my civilian infrastructure ships going around carrying supplies and resources.

I concur with what you say though, I always like having vassals and allies in games and having them to do stuff for me. It makes you feel like there are people on your side and you are not just alone. It is the same reason I used to play strategy multiplayer games with emphasis on diplomacy and why I was happy Dominions 4/5 came with the discipline option.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 01:57:17 pm »

It never really occurred to me, but SimAnt was a lot like this.

You controlled a singular ant in a nest, whether it be a worker, soldier, breeder, or the queen, and marched around looking for food. The other ants tended to gather around you, but not necessarily. Population growth was automatic, being some function of food and time, and you could switch which ant you were controlling at will.

As far as my memory goes, this game also pioneered the persistent campaign map-- while your immediate goal was to take control of a few yards of, er, yard by pushing out opposing ant forces (cheese way: just shift production to max soldiers, take control of one, and rush the opposing queen over and over), there was also a map of the entire yard, along with which ants owned each block, and the ultimate goal of driving the humans out of the house sitting in the middle of your territory, so you're not only switching between individual units, but also entirely different maps. You could lose territory you've won even when not in direct control, and also gain dominance in maps you haven't touched at all.

Tangential: I used to play 2v2 co-op games of AoE2 where the map basically had a huge split down the middle... all the nodes were on one side, and we played with shared resources. The idea was that one person controlled the economic half, and your partner managed the military side. Since you were playing with shared resources, it also meant you had to balance the population cap and exactly what was being harvested based on your partner's needs... or waging villager-on-villager war. ...Admittedly, it mostly turned into a scrambled mess once one side had an insurmountable lead, pushing the economic manager to build a military and wipe that side of the map.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 02:56:37 pm »

considering im a massive fan of creating your own faction in games to do your bidding, this catches my interest.

of the "get npcs to do your work for you" type:

Fallout 4 with only a little modding (or even vanilla) you can get a full fledged faction to assist you in combat. the minutemen will swarm around with a squad of 5 randomly genned soldiers who can handle common threats or with the institute you can relay a squad of synths to help. with mods tho you can fully step into the shoes of being the general; a combo of Fallout commander (FCOM) and We are the Minutemen (WATM) will let you deploy and assign minutemen to your settlements and summon a cadre of bodyguards that you can order around and equip with state of the art gear.

Outpost Zero you can create bots that will assist you with everything, and i mean everything. building? you set the foundation and they'll build it. resource gathering? they'll run to the resource and bring it back to the nearest box. and they run the gamut too, you'll start with little eyebots who are simple and easy to destroy but you can also build full humanoid ones who you can equip with gear.

Starsector with the right setup, you can command an entire fleet from your carrier, from a safe distance. i have fond memories of sending hammerheads in while i deploy mass amounts of talon interceptors to demolish.

theres more but these are the ones off the top of my head right now.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 03:08:05 pm »

Dungeon Keeper 1&2
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 05:30:22 pm »

While not exactly what you're talking about, there's Factorio - starting off with nothing but a pickaxe, you build up a massive sprawling factory, where a big part of it is automating everything so that you never have to touch a pickaxe again. One of the achievements is called "Lazy Bastard", where you have to win (launch a rocket) by crafting no more than 111 items manually.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:04:51 pm »

While not exactly what you're talking about, there's Factorio - starting off with nothing but a pickaxe, you build up a massive sprawling factory, where a big part of it is automating everything so that you never have to touch a pickaxe again. One of the achievements is called "Lazy Bastard", where you have to win (launch a rocket) by crafting no more than 111 items manually.
Now, see, if Factorio let you capture one of the alien nests and modify the pheromones or whatever so that it would periodically hatch batches of runners to go out and stab the wild aliens, I'd... Well, I'd probably still not play it much, since that game stresses me out... I keep trying to plan the whole damn base out before putting anything down, so I end up running around in circles for half an hour without ever building anything.

SimAnt
I believe you will find that the *actual* cheese strategy is to immediately switch control from your starting ant over to the neutral spider, and then park it right on top of the red anthill before going back to being an ant and doing whatever you like because red's pretty much just screwed.

Man, SimAnt was really ahead of its time...

Distant Stars is very much like what you describe, in the way that you can automate fleets and stuff. Plus I always liked watching all my civilian infrastructure ships going around carrying supplies and resources.

I concur with what you say though, I always like having vassals and allies in games and having them to do stuff for me. It makes you feel like there are people on your side and you are not just alone. It is the same reason I used to play strategy multiplayer games with emphasis on diplomacy and why I was happy Dominions 4/5 came with the discipline option.
Distant Stars as in the Stellaris expansion, or Distant Star: Revenant Fleet on Steam? Or is it something entirely different, in fact behind door number 3?

And man, it just occurred to me that I never set up a custom game with my own little AI disciples... I guess it just never actually occurred to me to do that with the AI. I'm a little bit jaded with Dom4's passé turn-based combat now that 5's out though, but I haven't gotten around to snatching 5 yet... Waiting for one of those mythical Illwinter sales.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 06:22:13 pm »

Ogre Battle. Said before somewhere on OG, will say again. Would friggin' love more of its general ethos in combat mechanics. Hands off-ish gameplay in general tends to do it pretty well for me. It's like an ant farm or somethin', just with RPG mechanics or whatev'.

So far as the AoS stuff (dota/lol), some of them actually do (at least provide the option) to do more with minions; imo, it's generally a sign of the design going in the right direction instead of jamming itself back up dota's ass in terms of formulation. One I actually play occasionally is EotA (twilight, maybe? Forgot exactly what its title was), which is a fairly recently updated WC3 map with pretty solid bots, that does some neat-ish stuff in terms of adding minions and messing about with that kind of thing.

There's a fair number of junk along those lines buried in Warcraft/Starcraft custom map obscurity, really. It's just kinda' hard to find 'em, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:57 pm »

Distant Stars as in the Stellaris expansion, or Distant Star: Revenant Fleet on Steam? Or is it something entirely different, in fact behind door number 3?

Sounds like Distant Worlds, to me.

Also, Stellar Monarch may be something worth looking at. There's a thread around here somewhere, and from what I remember, delegation is something of a focus in it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 07:54:41 pm »

It never really occurred to me, but SimAnt was a lot like this.

You controlled a singular ant in a nest, whether it be a worker, soldier, breeder, or the queen, and marched around looking for food. The other ants tended to gather around you, but not necessarily. Population growth was automatic, being some function of food and time, and you could switch which ant you were controlling at will.

As far as my memory goes, this game also pioneered the persistent campaign map-- while your immediate goal was to take control of a few yards of, er, yard by pushing out opposing ant forces (cheese way: just shift production to max soldiers, take control of one, and rush the opposing queen over and over), there was also a map of the entire yard, along with which ants owned each block, and the ultimate goal of driving the humans out of the house sitting in the middle of your territory, so you're not only switching between individual units, but also entirely different maps. You could lose territory you've won even when not in direct control, and also gain dominance in maps you haven't touched at all.

Tangential: I used to play 2v2 co-op games of AoE2 where the map basically had a huge split down the middle... all the nodes were on one side, and we played with shared resources. The idea was that one person controlled the economic half, and your partner managed the military side. Since you were playing with shared resources, it also meant you had to balance the population cap and exactly what was being harvested based on your partner's needs... or waging villager-on-villager war. ...Admittedly, it mostly turned into a scrambled mess once one side had an insurmountable lead, pushing the economic manager to build a military and wipe that side of the map.

It also had this weird laser shooting spider which would appear after a certain point (no idea what the specific trigger was, having a huge nest maybe) and just proceed to zap everything. It wasn’t unkillsble though, just difficult as you have to zerg rush it. I think it only appeared in  single area and sandbox games though. Found the thing to be really annoying because it effectively game-overed the area. Wasn’t as much of a problem in sandbox, but still equally annoying.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:58:17 pm by smjjames »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 09:51:27 pm »

SimAnt
I believe you will find that the *actual* cheese strategy is to immediately switch control from your starting ant over to the neutral spider, and then park it right on top of the red anthill before going back to being an ant and doing whatever you like because red's pretty much just screwed.

Man, SimAnt was really ahead of its time...

Wasn't that considered a secret function? But yes, fun, nonetheless...

It also had this weird laser shooting spider which would appear after a certain point (no idea what the specific trigger was, having a huge nest maybe) and just proceed to zap everything. It wasn’t unkillsble though, just difficult as you have to zerg rush it. I think it only appeared in  single area and sandbox games though. Found the thing to be really annoying because it effectively game-overed the area. Wasn’t as much of a problem in sandbox, but still equally annoying.

I think it just showed up whenever, and am pretty sure it showed up in campaign mode. You just rushed it in a mass, much like the caterpillarambulatory food depot, and it'd eventually die.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 12:38:25 am »

Still, laser shooting spider in a game that lends itself somewhat towards realism, wtf.....

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 12:51:54 am »

Half Life 2 is, largely... not what you're talking about.  And I'd say in general its in this awkward place where HL1 was better for its time and later shooters are better in general.  But.

There is one section of Half Life 2 where you get these pheromone sacs you can throw, and these large flying* insects called Antlions will swarm over the area and attacking any enemies there.  And you proceed to go to town on a Combine prison ripping apart all these enemies and defensive positions that previously would have been a huge problem.  Its super satisfying (its the first part in the game you feel more powerful than the Combine) and its legit the most fun I've had in a video game.

There's also the bits where the rebels follow you.  There's some sections where you can get a really nice firefight going, but the extremely narrow corridors can be annoying to navigate and their AI doesn't know how to run past things, so some of them are functionally doomed and that rubs me the wrong way.  For example one part you have to run past this giant tripod that you don't have the AT weapons to destroy, and your squad will 100% of the time open up on it with rifles and refuse to leave until it dies which of course it won't.

*well more like jumping, but they can leap fifty feet up a sheer cliff so, kinda academic
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 05:19:52 am »

Ah yeah, the antlion sections were great... Rebel squad sections were also kinda cool, but slightly more annoying than the antlions because they kept gushing about how amazing "Oh my god it's Gordon Freeman!" was and then immediately dying because they were idiots.

There's actually a little map out there you can download that was designed to show off the AI of the combine soldiers... In the game they're generally limited to fairly linear areas and forced into dumb positions in order to keep things fun and manageable for the player, but in the right environment you can let them loose and actually use their smarts to full effect.

It's basically just a little bot deathmatch map where two teams of combine soldiers will keep respawning and killing each other, flanking positions, snatching new guns and hurling grenades into tight rooms for delightful effect.

It gets even more interesting if you happen to have SMOD: Tactical installed, since both teams will get the new "tactical" weapons and behavior for extra shootiness.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 08:30:03 am »

I was blown away by the AI in HL2 when it first came out, it was the only game (and still is to an extent) that really managed to capture a feeling of two sides attacking each other and you were in the middle of it. Nothing else has really managed to capture the same feeling of being just a cog in the machine rather than everyone just waiting around for you to appear.

In terms of games that allow you to manipulate rather than directly control the action - it's tricky. It's something that I've wanted for a while - something where I can actually feel like the commander rather than some weird sort of micro-manager. The issue is always that if you cede too much control then anything bad that happens feels really annoying because you couldn't do anything about it.

Distant Worlds:Universe (currently with 75% off on steam - the cheapest it's ever been and well worth it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/Distant_Worlds_Universe) is probably as close as you're going to get - you can automate everything you don't want to do and sort of just direct where you want things to go. I played an extremely espionage heavy civ, which basically just did everything through proxy wars to make sure no one was a threat - it was great, great fun. It's probably one of the best 4x games out there, and the amount of indirect action you can do is great.

Other than that, I'm also stuck for ideas - if I had the time to do any gamedev it's definitely the type of thing I'd want to build.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: [1] 2