Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wands Race II - Forenia  (Read 3305 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race II - Forenia
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 11:52:08 am »

Traditionally divine magic is better for healing than arcane magic. This makes sense to me, because arcane magic is totally under the control of the caster, so they would need to know anatomy in order to magically repair a bounty. Divine magic is under the control of the deity, and the cleric is merely channeling that power, so the mage doesn't need to do all the work themselves.
What I'm saying is that Moskurg style magic is better for healing both logically and thematically than Arstotzkan magic. We have access to both styles, so if we want healing mages, they should be Moskurgian.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 11:55:13 am »

Yes, "traditionally" that's how it works. Luckily for us, sanity, and balance, that's not how it works in a game such as this. Both sides, regardless of flavor, have the SAME capabilities and the SAME chance to get good healing magic.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »

Yeah in reality it is the dice that says which is better. Not narrative.

That’s Arms Race baby!!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 12:04:05 pm »

Ugh, don't remind me how shit this system is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 12:07:10 pm »

Ugh, don't remind me how shit this system is.
You are confusing "bad" with "balanced". This system is balanced, thus it does not take into account fluff differences so much as a narrative-based game is. Such is life, I am afraid. If you don't like it, um, well, uh...don't play, I guess?

There can't be a built-in bias like what you appear to want or the game is inherently unfair, and thus no longer a competition, it's just a slow road to inevitable defeat for the side that was disadvantaged from the start.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:59 pm »

If we go with devouring fire, depends on exact description we can go with digging blow the enemy.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 12:18:07 pm »

It's not like Arms Race is a perfectly balanced and mechanical game. Almost everything that matters is in fact narratively driven. Any game that needs a GM cannot be perfectly balanced and without bias, because making soft decisions is pretty much the GM's whole job. A game like this would be enriched if things that make more sense have more chance to work, rather than everything relying on the same die roll. It takes us farther away from being weapons scientists and closer to being cheerleaders for our side, with victory ultimately being a 50/50 coin flip.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 12:20:58 pm »

I'm considering a writeup for a magical fire capable of burning literally anything, including magic itself. No, I am NOT jumping in a tunnel with that stuff, if that's what you're suggesting.

Egan: Yes, but what the GM does is NOT narrative and fluff, but instead practical design analysis. If your design makes more sense, then it will be more successful than the enemy's even if they got the same die roll. HOWEVER, simply adding in a fluff detail like "oh we're calling on our god to do it" CANNOT give you a buff, because that's inherently biased against anyone who doesn't want to go the religious route. It might give you a buff because you've used similar logic in the past....but then the enemy's method must do the same thing and we're still at a wash as to which method is "superior" for healing magic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 12:31:47 pm »

And you'll be at a disadvantage in ship building if you choose not to go the "steel" route. That doesn't make it unbalanced. In war and magic, religion can be a practical consideration; it's not just flavor. At this point both us and the vaulters have equal opportunity to use religion. And there's nothing wrong with asymmetrical sides anyway.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 12:35:01 pm »

I suppose if the GM wanted to he COULD do any of those things---make religion versus math matter and make the sides asymmetric....but it's a horrible plan that should only be done carefully, and NOT when the sides are supposed to be equal like they are in Wands Race. It's our choices that should make them different, nothing predetermined.

Also, the Vaulters do not in fact have access to our religion since they left before integration started.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 12:44:35 pm »

I didn't mean we go with the fire, we go behind it.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »

Still requires the deployment of a terribly powerful incendiary in confined spaces.

No thank you.

EDIT to help the GM:

Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:00:10 pm by Madman198237 »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 03:42:29 pm »

Holy shit no wonder those guys won. Flying tech. Do we have the red guys stuff too? Fire ball is always useful.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 04:08:42 pm »

In fact we won because eS was tired of the game AND because we weren't so abysmally stupid as to build a high-altitude bomber for urban warfare.

We were plenty stupid in other ways, just not quite THAT abysmally stupid. Yes we do have Arstotzkan tech, no word yet on how much we have, though.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »

In fact we won because eS was tired of the game AND because we weren't so abysmally stupid as to build a high-altitude bomber for urban warfare.

Pretty much that; Arstotzka had a fairly good air force of their own; able to compete with Moskurg despite Moskurg's perpetual finely controlled storm.

It's just that they literally made a high-altitude bomber on the last turn when they were defending their capital. It was a fairly good bomber, granted (it could manufacture its bombs mid-flight and was only a few steps away from becoming a spaceship); but it was a really bad call given where they were going to fight.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4