Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: LOOTQUEST: Turn 3: It's Not Dead, Yet(5/5)  (Read 2760 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: LOOTQUEST: Or A Fusion of Looter's Delight And The Average D&D Campaign(5/5)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:21 pm »

((By rifle, I assume you mean "long-barreled semiautomatic/bolt action rifled firearm", which I can definitely work with.))

Run below decks to the armoury or broadsides, and nick some black powder and grapeshot in the right calibre.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LOOTQUEST: Or A Fusion of Looter's Delight And The Average D&D Campaign(5/5)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:33 pm »

Why "Jester"? Can't I be going for a more serious, dignified tone of humor? Bloody uncultured barbarian heathens.

"Nice of you to drop by!"
Hit it with the hammer, and pray that the hammer understands that I have insufficient information to make better jokes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:18 pm »

((By rifle, I assume you mean "long-barreled semiautomatic/bolt action rifled firearm", which I can definitely work with.))
((Yes with a side of no ammunition slot.))

What even is it, anyway? Zero details, here.

You look upon the "boundary guardian". It seems a formidable foe. A massive horned snake about three times as long as you are tall, and fat enough to swallow you whole. It probably has some trick to it as well.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »

Fire the rifle as if there was a bullet in the magazine, then go below decks if that doesn't work.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:49:19 am »

?

She wonders what this is and accidentally presses the ON switch, riding over the monster. As a strange effect, Ice forms underneath it's path.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:48 pm »

Turn 1: Teamwork to Win the Day, a Giant Snake to Slay

Spoiler: Initiative Tutorial (click to show/hide)

INITIATIVE:
Dermonster/Tabark(28)
Beirus/Bob(2)
Iridium64/Iridium(25)
Madman198237/Lakonikos(32)
TricMagic/Yuki(82)
Boundary Guardian(89)

The Boundary Guardian, massive snake that it is, is up first. It screeches, gazing at the helmsman. There are mortals in the way. They must be killed.

It notes a mortal coming towards it on a strange vehicle. Ice spirit. So be it. The boundary guardian has its first target.

Stab You With Its Horn!(1) vs. Zamboni Evasion!(2)

Spoiler: Combat Roll Tutorial (click to show/hide)

The boundary guardian rushes forwards, trying to impale the ice spirit and its strange contraption when the Zamboni hits it first.

Yuki activated her Zamboni(a war Zamboni to be exact), a vehicle meant to freeze the ground behind it. Lo and behold, ice forms in a trail behind the Zamboni. And then Yuki went to ram the boundary guardian. It's not like it's big enough to ride over it.

Ram!(3) vs. Evasion!(2)

The ramming wasn't precise but it didn't need to be.

Ram!(3) vs. Resilient Scales!(4)

In order to hit, at least. The boundar guardian was made of tougher stuff than the Zamboni could dish out. Or maybe it was just hit in a tough spot.
Normally, at least. Yuki noticed a strange third pedal(in addition to brake and accelerate) on the Zamboni, as well as a small green lever current in a neutral position...

Lakonikos smiles and pulls out his squeaky hammer!

Hammertime!(2) vs. Slippery Snake!(1)

Surprised by Yuki's ramming, the boundary guardian didn't even move to evade Lakonikos' strike!

Hammer... time!(5) vs. Scales!(5)

The hammer came around in a swing that could break a man's skull!
... the guardian of course had tough scales.

Tabark brought a much tougher hammer to the table.

Hammer. Time!(4) vs. Evasion!(1)

The spiked warhammer hit the guardian in the face!

HAMMERTIME!(3, 2 = 3) vs. Resist!(5)

On a tough scale. The scale cracked, at least.

However something had happened. When Tabark's hammer hit, it generated a chunk of edgy black lava, hitting the same spot!

Resist!(6)

The scale was melting now. The snake seemed fine, but the heat was very distracting.

Iridium raised his rifle and took advantage.

Fire!(4) vs. Evasion!(2-1(distraction)=1)

Striking the same spot with a beam that came from the gun's crystal barrel.

Resist!(3, 2 = 2)

Spoiler: Huh? (click to show/hide)

The already cracked and melted spot seemed to contort, trying and failing to take up a smaller space, then exploding into shards... leaving behind a vulnerable location. And a snake in pain.

Bob pulls out an apple, realizes it's fake, and lobs it at the monster.

Accuracy!(1) vs. Evasion!(6)

Bob accidentally ended up throwing the apple directly at the ground. It shattered into plastic shards, covering the deck with little seeds that took root... and all of a sudden tentacles!

Evasion!(6)

Bob rolled out of the way... right into the angry boundary guardian, seeking retribution for what had been done to it.

SCREEEEEEEE!(3) vs. Evasion!(6-1=5)

Bob yelped, punching the snake in its melted, shattered, agonized vulnerable location, and using the distraction to dash off. As the snake was attacked by the tentacles.

Tentacles!(6) vs. Evasion!(2)

The tentacles struck, hitting the marred hole in the snake's defenses again.

Tentacles!(1, 2 = 2) vs. Snake!(6)

The tentacles didn't seem to do much, but they did end up entangling the snake. While the distraction wouldn't last long the snake would be more vulnerable.

Spoiler: Tabark the Half-Orc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yuki the Ice Spirit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lakonikos the "Jester" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boundary Guardian (click to show/hide)

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LOOTQUEST: Turn 1: Teamwork to Win the Day(5/5)
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:52:31 pm »

Pull that lever and press the other one. Let's see about riding straight at it's head

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 08:10:46 pm »

Eyes wide, Tabark begins laughing maniacally. The volcano spirit must have blessed him with a fragment of itself as he was pulled into this strange world!

"Come, serpent!" he commands, brandishing the hammer to the skies. "Let me show you the fury of Kinadar!"

Tabark charges the Serpent once more!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:25 pm »

((Tentapples. Appacles. Fragmentacle Grenades. Tentacples. I'm going to figure out a name for these things. On an unrelated note, that effect was actually sort of what I expected when I threw it. Except the tentacles. I was expecting vines.))

Bob's eyes grow wide, looking from his bag to the tentacles and back. Remembering that the big snake tried to eat him, he lobs another apple.

Apple in the hole! Toss another apple into the hole that was made by the other attacks, or down its throat.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 09:12:14 pm »

This gun violates just about every law of physics I can remember.

Which is awesome.

Shoot the boundary guardian again.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:56 am »

Ptw
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 05:14:59 pm »

Bash the monster again, right in the soft spot. Shout "Behind you!" to distract the beast. (rolled with advantage because it's a blatant lie?)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 05:41:22 pm »

Turn 2: Attack the Weak Point For Critical Damage!

INITIATIVE:
Dermonster/Tabark(10)
Beirus/Bob(49)
Iridium64/Iridium(55)
Madman198237/Lakonikos(37)
TricMagic/Yuki(42)
Boundary Guardian(26)

Iridium raised his shatter-beam rifle again and fired another shot!

Beam!(1) vs. Evasion!(5-1=4)

The snake hissed at the weapon raised against it. It had been hurt! Before Iridium could fire he was suddenly rushed by the snake, freed from the tentacles!

Spear!(5) vs. Evasion!(1)

Caught completely and utterly by surprise, Iridium couldn't react in time to avoid being gored!

Gore!(2, 4 = 4) vs. Resist!(3+1 = 4)

He managed to move back enough that it only hurt a whole lot.

Bob didn't like the snake at all. Really.

Tentapple!(5) vs. Evasion!(5)

The shot would have hit perfectly in the snake's open mouth if the snake hadn't deflected it over the side of the ship using its horn.

Yuki knew there was more to her Zamboni!

She raised the lever up... doing nothing. Huh? Maybe it would do something if it was pulled down? But the pedal? That did something else!

Despair!(5)

The boundary guardian recognized the aura for what it was. A directed fear effect.

Ram!(5) vs. Evasion!(6)

Then Yuki's Zamboni accelerated absurdly fast in under a second and almost hit the agile snake. But the snake was unbalanced, and that was perfect for someone else to hit it...

Such as Lakonikos.

Blatant Lie!(5, 5 = 5)

"Behind you!"

Lakonikos somehow tricked the guardian into thinking that he was attacking from behind. Ventriloquism? Anyways it was the perfect opportunity.

Hammertime!(3) vs. Evasion!(1-1-1=-2)

It wasn't a particularly accurate strike but the imbalanced snake got a hammer straight to its wounded spot!
((I think it's reasonable to apply the damage boost for a difference in 5 between offense and evasion as well.))
Hammertime!(1, 5+2 = 7) vs. Resistance!(2)

Lakonikos drove his hammer directly into the snake's wound, with incredible force. The snake reared back, stunned and agonized!

The boundary guardian was a bit too agonized to do much.

That left Tabark.

HAMMERTIME!(5) vs. Evasioooon...!?(1-1-1-1=-2)

FINISHING BLOW!(4, 4 = 4+2=6) vs. Resistance!(3, 4 = 3)

The hammer struck the wound, inflicting even more pain on the snake. Then it fired off the magma.

Resist!(4, 3 = 3)

While the snake wasn't dead, there was magma coating its wound and it was in absolute agony. It wouldn't be doing much next turn...

Spoiler: Tabark the Half-Orc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yuki the Ice Spirit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lakonikos the "Jester" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boundary Guardian (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: LOOTQUEST: Turn 2: Hit the Weak Point!(5/5)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 05:58:29 pm »

"Bahahah! This beast is mine! Your scales will make my armor, your fangs will adorn my neck, and YOUR HEAD WILL BE MOUNTED ON THE SPIRES OF GARTOK!"

Finish it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:02:27 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3