Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 59

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 4: We're Done Here  (Read 93051 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 4: Day 1: Er, What (13/12)
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:11 pm »

Again, not sure where you got the idea that I'm not playing the day game. Have I not hunted for scum? Have I not presented what information I have for the town to digest? Have I not tried to be clever about how I use my money, especially when I have more capital in that area than others? Have I not tried to get someone I believe to be scum lynched?
No, not particularly. To all of those questions.

1. You're going after Caz with some shoddy explanation. I've called you out on it multiple times and in multiple places where your argument falls completely flat, especially given the hypocritical nature of it.
2. You have presented the Town with information, but nothing that happens to further a case against anyone except yourself. Your information is useless, unless you wish to postulate that your importance is necessary by virtue of your abilities, to which I only have a headshake for you.
3. Your extensive capital wastes away. You've got an ability you can literally use RIGHT NOW to exert pressure on YOUR CURRENT VOTE TARGET, and yet you refuse to use it. If I were you, I would have flexed my muscles a bit to make Caz answer. EXCEPT that he already did!
Tbh I wanted to see if anyone would show that they had more than 50$ by outbidding me but then IcyTea claimed that without bidding anyway. Weird stuff. But me having waffles for tea is definitely good for you guys. Well, most of you I guess.

You explaining yourself in riddles then wondering why someone isn't giving you their abilities plainly is funny to me.
If you mean that you're saving it for
A revive, self- or otherwise. An extra vote. An extra player. But I wouldn't pay too much for an extra action, at least without something to use it for.
then congratulations. As would a scum player. So, it's really easy to see why anyone that sees what you want might get confused. Especially because you never mentioned an inspection, which is an action that would ONLY help Town.

Now, hypothetically, I'll give you a potential out in this. "I'm only considering abilities that scum would want to keep them out of their hands." Fair point. But, that assumes that you can outbid anyone on those actions to begin with. The only way you wouldn't be concerned about that action is if you were scum, which has a lot more freedom on the nature of actions, especially since they've got the easiest way to do as such.

4. Uh... Have you? Your reasoning's being pretty well thrashed, and you still cling to it futilely.

And let's just destroy this small little piece right here:
My opinion changed around the time I set down my vote. The evidence is the logical argument that being open about your role is a pro-town move in this kill-less setup, which I admittedly haven't presented very well. The reason you usually don't reveal your role in Mafia is that it gets you killed. In this setup, with the theme of Pacifism, it doesn't. Were everyone to make their claims early on, the town would be far better informed to focus on the second theme of the game, Money, such as by figuring out which auctions are worth highballing, and which are not. Is this clear-cut enough?
Perhaps giving away all relevant role information is a good idea. Additionally, sticking your head inside of a small bloody hole might also reward you candy. Of course, this works better in a game type that has ROLES WE ALL KNOW. Without an open setup, we have no idea if goddamn Light Yagami wins by getting all of our role names or if Vacuum Cleaner can suck out your abilities. No nightkills ultimately is MORE terrifying, since there is now a limitation in design for the moderator that allows more flexibility with the Mafia!

That is so astoundingly poorly thought-out, that I'd say it's super bad. Especially because the EXACT OPPOSITE is true. Without kills, players are safer at Night, and don't have to worry about being killed and can THEREFORE use their inspections and other abilities without regard to anything else. Why would that not be your first thought?

I just don't understand where your thoughts are coming from. I'm just so thoroughly confused how you could possibly think that's a good idea.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2018, 06:12:06 pm »

Caz seems like the optimal test right now.
I guess nobody really cares, do they?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2018, 07:24:59 pm »

Well this certainly kicked off quickly.

DA: Of all the players here,
which is the one that you most fear?

Fear is the path to the Dark Side. To be serious, the thing that worries me when it comes to stuff like this is unknown quantities, so I guess Tric, Max or rockeater.

Sheldon
Quote from: Sheldon
Sheldon Facts: Sheldon can see into your SOUL.
Interesting. Can you look into my soul and tell everyone what you find?

Maximum Spin:
Caz seems like the optimal test right now.
Can you explain your reasoning for this?

TheBiggerFish:
There's a difference between "I don't trust you" and "this person is scum", webadict.  For the record, the unverifiable statements about Simon were why I felt like fingering Rockeater at the time.
What is the difference between them? Given that you presumably didn't have any reason to trust anyone else at the start of the game, what do you want FOSing someone and saying you don't trust them achieve if not to make people think you suspect they're scum?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2018, 07:43:25 pm »

Fear is the path to the Dark Side. To be serious, the thing that worries me when it comes to stuff like this is unknown quantities, so I guess Tric, Max or rockeater.
You have nothing to fear but fear itself, and spiders.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2018, 08:09:09 pm »

You have nothing to fear but fear itself, and spiders.
You didn't answer the question of why you voted Caz, so my assumption is that you simply don't care.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »

Cool, so we can see that I have two votes of 1/2 vote power each.

IcyTea IcyTea

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2018, 08:28:56 pm »

There are so many people to vote, and only one is able to be lynched.

Where is everyone else? Or are we going to play the lurking game?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:13 pm »

In an earlier post I said Simon, I meant Sheldon.  Eh.  Both those names start with S, close enough.

And wuba, if only one person is able to be lynched, why are you tying the vote and letting scum decide it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:40 pm »

Caz has won the auction with a bid of 50$!

Caz has gained (1-Shot, Day): Authentic Belgian Breakfast: Gain an extra action this night.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:42 pm »

Aww, I didn't get in the game :'( Ah well. Cheers y'all

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:30 pm »

In an earlier post I said Simon, I meant Sheldon.  Eh.  Both those names start with S, close enough.

And wuba, if only one person is able to be lynched, why are you tying the vote and letting scum decide it?

*grabs TBF and whispers in his ear*
You should count again, I fear...

IcyTea has three while Caz has two,
Just what are you going to do?

Why are you worried about deciders, eh?
Our time ends on, like, Tuesday.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:15 pm »

I would like to point out that not all of us can use the Waffles. Some skills take money to use.
Or more simply, folks with Day actions don't care.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2018, 01:26:40 am »

2. You have presented the Town with information, but nothing that happens to further a case against anyone except yourself. Your information is useless
So any information that doesn't forward a case is useless? I've given what hard information I have, it still being D1, and naturally that's mostly about myself.

3. Your extensive capital wastes away. You've got an ability you can literally use RIGHT NOW to exert pressure on YOUR CURRENT VOTE TARGET, and yet you refuse to use it. If I were you, I would have flexed my muscles a bit to make Caz answer.
I say this again, because you clearly haven't been listening. Outbidding. Caz. Does. Not. Exert. Pressure. It simply wins me an auction for an item at a higher price than I'm willing to pay.

EXCEPT that he already did!
50$ is much to risk just to "see how people react". Do you really find that explanation sufficient?

If you mean that you're saving it for
A revive, self- or otherwise. An extra vote. An extra player. But I wouldn't pay too much for an extra action, at least without something to use it for.
then congratulations. As would a scum player. So, it's really easy to see why anyone that sees what you want might get confused. Especially because you never mentioned an inspection, which is an action that would ONLY help Town.
A non-exclusive list of examples. Next you're going to say "But wait, don't you want a mason lodge, or to have your alignment confirmed by the mod?" Yes, I do. But even an inspect wouldn't win town the game if the inspector isn't believed. A well-placed revive does.

Now, hypothetically, I'll give you a potential out in this. "I'm only considering abilities that scum would want to keep them out of their hands." Fair point. But, that assumes that you can outbid anyone on those actions to begin with. The only way you wouldn't be concerned about that action is if you were scum, which has a lot more freedom on the nature of actions, especially since they've got the easiest way to do as such.
I believe that building up my money will either lead to me being able to outbid anyone, or e.g. scum getting caught stealing from me by a watcher. I have considered the possibilities of what might happen in the future, and it's looking quite bright overall. Would you rather I be useless by spending all my money immediately?

4. Uh... Have you? Your reasoning's being pretty well thrashed, and you still cling to it futilely.
Are you questioning whether I'm trying, while saying that I'm trying too hard?

Without an open setup, we have no idea if goddamn Light Yagami wins by getting all of our role names or if Vacuum Cleaner can suck out your abilities.
"If." Clearly, I should never say 'Beetlejuice' thrice, just in case.

No nightkills ultimately is MORE terrifying, since there is now a limitation in design for the moderator that allows more flexibility with the Mafia!
I'm not particularly terrified of what I've seen so far. Don't outguess the mod.

Without kills, players are safer at Night, and don't have to worry about being killed and can THEREFORE use their inspections and other abilities without regard to anything else. Why would that not be your first thought?
It was, in fact, one of my first thoughts. Then I wondered what else could be a threat among the common abilities. I don't doubt you did too, but evidently we reached different conclusions.

You should count again, I fear...

IcyTea has three while Caz has two,
It's three for three by my count, if you read Max Spin's account. Follow your own advice and you won't be fooled twice.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2018, 02:53:18 am »

Hector, hector, hector.

I severely judge your interpretation of "rhyming".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2018, 05:38:18 am »

Sorry for potentially tying the vote. Oh, wait, I mean sorry that you care. See, I don't CARE if I tie the votes for two reasons. The first is because fuck you I can vote who I want, especially if I believe their scum, and especially if I think his attitude is detrimental to Town.

But, the second, and possibly more important, reason, and this is true, is that I thought that
Day ends: (next) Thursday 5:00 PM Central/Forum time. The communal extension has not yet been used.
Oh, looks like I'm not the idiot here! Y'all are! Surprisingly, Thursday is a time in the future from today. I learned how to read a clock in grade school.

So, suck a lemon, TheBiggerFish. Suck a lemon, Icy Tea. Maximum Spin should also be lynched. In fact, lemme build a case for him too, since he obviously doesn't care. I would even suggest we lynch him forst, because he's certainly not reading the thread.

Also, can we get a prod on randomgenericusername?

Some of us want people to play the game, not play Forum Poster Lite.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 59