Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21729 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Believe the numbers are done.

Now to history. Without my OneNote.. Joy...

Note, Element-Spirit Mix of Magic? Negima!

Yours add up just fine as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:59:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I decided to add a Criticals section to the mechanics post. The aim is to add some unique flavor if someone decides to go Lv. 0 and Lv. 3 in one skill, or something along those lines. You're paying 3 whole points of premium in this case, so one would expect to have some benefits. Massively overshooting all the time isn't strictly a benefit, but it can be taken advantage of. I won't punish players with negative crits for rolling low, since that's no fun.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

It seems that with this system, criticals become less common as the size of the die grows. Say you have an overshoot crit threshold of 1 and roll a 6 first on a d6 and then on a d12. Which will be more powerful?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems that with this system, criticals become less common as the size of the die grows. Say you have an overshoot crit threshold of 1 and roll a 6 first on a d6 and then on a d12. Which will be more powerful?

Good observation. Putting points into your stronger prowess (learning vs potential) will always bring you closer to 50% crit chance. Having a CRIT of 1 at d6 and moving to a CRIT of 2 on a d8 will actually increase your crit chance. I am still ironing out the exact tuning behind level progression, but I want players to gain levels steadily without requiring projects to happen more often (making them relatively shorter). So I am leaning toward allowing players to tune their crit chance the way they want to, with a catch-up bonus for weaker skills to balance out the net power of crit.

Presumably a 12 crit will be greater proportionally to the degrees of success. So rolling a 12 to just barely perform a task at long range will probably be similar to a 6 on a d6; however your d6 would have never succeeded even then; whereas rolling a 12 where a 6 would suffice will be an impressive result indeed.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:44:52 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

I have made some repairs to my application based on the GM's input. Please let me know what new issues have emerged as a result of this.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kinda need inspiration for my character's Bio. What should I put there?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kinda need inspiration for my character's Bio. What should I put there?

My games are usually RP-heavy so I'd pick a character archetype that you like as and fill in the blanks from there (feel free to ask 'what is this world's version of X'). We already have a villager--you could pick a citydweller, or perhaps an explorer born to some family X with some goal Y, but perhaps your character didn't agree other people's goals in exploration (e.g. they wanted to acquire goods and not knowledge). Think about what comes naturally to you or how you'd like to treat other players, and go from there.

I have made some repairs to my application based on the GM's input. Please let me know what new issues have emerged as a result of this.

It's all consistent. I'd expand on the "redundant neural pathways" deal because as of now it's kind of self-defeating, you explicitly stated it's mixed. Does your character have a split personality or something as a result of it? I didn't really give actual space for characters to have special mechanics but it's an option so long as the mechanic is something interesting (see what was mentioned about the fairy character earlier).

Usually though, my philosophy is that it's the way the character is played that makes it interesting and not the background. ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:41:27 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile

Not sure if it fits within the setting but I gave my shot at it- will possibly extend the bio.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:13:30 pm by Qassius »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile

This still accepting new people?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This still accepting new people?

Go for it, the first part of this (the Practical Exam) has no player limit. I'm only limiting it to 6 players afterward.

Not sure if it fits within the setting but I gave my shot at it- will possibly extend the bio.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Numbers check out. The backstory is also good. A church fits 100% in a setting with many diverse axioms across the land.
I have a lot of stuff written up for what's 'up there' past the mist-filled sky. Expect telescopes and astronomy in general to be a huge part of most church traditions you will find (you don't necessarily have to fit this into your character's own practices but I'm just mentioning it).

Qassius

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a Russian Bot
    • View Profile

Numbers check out. The backstory is also good. A church fits 100% in a setting with many diverse axioms across the land.
I have a lot of stuff written up for what's 'up there' past the mist-filled sky. Expect telescopes and astronomy in general to be a huge part of most church traditions you will find (you don't necessarily have to fit this into your character's own practices but I'm just mentioning it).
I had thought out the religion as seeing the stars as sort of demiurges in the gnostic sense- being manifestations of the divine that had created the world and humanity, blessing them with the mist and magic. Where to see beyond the mist is to forgo affairs of the world and to peer to the closest thing they have to the "true" divine. The church I had thought of corresponding each rank/role (order?) in the church hierarchy to one of the stars, along with black for the non-clergy still working in an official capacity in the temples. Saints would be those in the clergy that had helped propagate the faith and push the church forward in some significant way. The Calatorum being founded by a number of Saints that had composed a number of rather cryptic holy texts (possible name of Velus Anima? I'm bad at Latin) relating to the divine and humanity.

Just some thoughts, I don't want to impose too much on a pre-established setting.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had thought out the religion as seeing the stars as sort of demiurges in the gnostic sense- being manifestations of the divine that had created the world and humanity, blessing them with the mist and magic. Where to see beyond the mist is to forgo affairs of the world and to peer to the closest thing they have to the "true" divine. The church I had thought of corresponding each rank/role (order?) in the church hierarchy to one of the stars, along with black for the non-clergy still working in an official capacity in the temples. Saints would be those in the clergy that had helped propagate the faith and push the church forward in some significant way. The Calatorum being founded by a number of Saints that had composed a number of rather cryptic holy texts (possible name of Velus Anima? I'm bad at Latin) relating to the divine and humanity.

Just some thoughts, I don't want to impose too much on a pre-established setting.

One thing to note: There aren't a whole lot of stars visible in the night sky, even in space (most of the stars left in the universe are red-dwarfs as those are long-lived...). There are eight bright "planets" which shift around in the sky (seven colors of the rainbow and one white) which are treated as "stars" in that they are the main pinpoints of light visible with the naked eye, although telescopes are not unheard of.

There is no sun. There is a glow that makes up the day/night cycle, which usually faces the cluster of colored stars in the sky, but the glow itself is primarily emitted from the mist. In the upper atmosphere, imagine scores of yellow motes which blend into a haze as you descend to ground level.

So long as you fit within the setting's physics and parameters you are free to create societies and social orders. The main thing I would steer clear of is the named cities themselves; you can be associated with them but you may want to avoid having a monumental role in the city's history (a minor role is fine). Best solution would be to create another prosperous city that made contact with Inberlin some time ago. This is if you want the Calatorum to be more influential.

Worked on my sheet.

I have to sleep so I'll take an in-depth look tomorrow. I know this is a bit odd after I went and explained the stars to Qassius above, but I think character bios deserve special treatment.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...Nope. Can't come up with anything. I guess my character is probably from a city, but I can't think of anything else.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Okay, I really don't know what I'm doing with this setting.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:14:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14