Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 100370 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

The SGG is still relatively expensive for what it does, especially when the gavrilium motor is included. Moreover I'm more worried about trying to make a gavrilium motor small enough for it (I can see the benefits of ones that small) and it's effects on difficulty.

And the Caelium undercarriage is a part of it, as I've mentioned. We're gonna want a vehicle that's simpler than it in design next time :P

Personally I'm concerned about making an entirely new action in a Revision and its effects on difficulty, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there yeah?

As for cost; I don't see the SGG costing more than 2 Gavrilium (which is what the LGG costs); and while it does have decent odds of bumping up the Ore cost by 1 and dragging it up into Expensive, we were going to grab more Ore before we meet the Abberan's anyway yeah? We can afford to temporally increase the costs now, while we're still fighting these Selicate chumps.

Hey. An Idea Taricus. Now I know barely anything about vehicle undercarriages; but what if the sled had a eerily similar appearance to the Kerata's undercarriage? (except actually working) Or something like that. Attempt to go for the 2-for-1. (get the sleds and make the Kerata somewhat less bad!) Probably just a crazy idea, but an idea I am throwing out there for consideration regardless!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kerata has more than the undercarraige as a problem, and a car sized sled might be a bit... well, wasteful to use when it's intended for our miniguns.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

The Kerata has more than the undercarraige as a problem, and a car sized sled might be a bit... well, wasteful to use when it's intended for our miniguns.

Very true. Only really worth it if we feel the Kerata is worth salvaging, rather than just starting from scratch. Simpler and better sled performance (due to saner sizes) if we just stick with the sled.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, do we still want to do a radio with our research credit? I did a little bit of research, and we're actually right on time for the first forays into vacuum-tube-radios.

VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio: The scientific community in Salvios has been going nuts. They are scrambling over themselves to get government contracts to develop technology for military applications. This is probably due to the fact that doing so gets them access to classified materials such as Gavrilium, Caelium, and Myomer. That the army pays even better than Merchant Lords for useful inventions doesn't hurt either.
Anyway, we've been approached by a team from Dawai Labs, who have presented a device called a 'vacuum tube'. Whilst these devices have been around for many years, they have been naught but scientific curios, only useful for obscure experiments in theoretical physics. But just this year, there has been a breakthrough which could very well change the world. A vacuum tube containing three electrodes has been found to act as an "amplifier"- which, to cut a long story short, makes it possible to create effective radio transmitters and receivers of a scale previously unheard of.
The potential utility of an effective radio is not lost on us, and so we have decided to not only bring Dawai Labs on board, but also dedicate our additional funding to the project to ensure the end result is the best possible piece of kit we can create.
The Ceramah comes in three varieties; receiver-only, broadcast-only, and broadcast/receiver. Their size ascends in order. The receiver-only kit consists of two (20?)kg boxes and a 2m antenna, and can be transported by infantry, with a hand-cranked generator to recharge the batteries. The broadcast-only is slightly larger, and has a small Gavrilium generator included to provide enough power to give a decent range of a few kilometers- suitable for installation in small-ish vehicles. The broadcast/receiver unit is quite large, and would only fit on a large vehicle, but has a very respectable range, making it perfect for installation in command posts.

Something like that would probably be feasible. Though like I said, I only did a little bit of research, so if anyone knows more about WWI-era radio and wants to suggests changes, feel free.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kerata learned NOTHING, Taricus, except that we cannot do light-armor vehicles with snakeeyes, which is really not at all surprising in the least. We have problems with every single piece of that vehicle for a reason. If we want an armored car, we're going to have to use another design on it. Though if we're lucky the difficulty should be down, because despite it being an "utter failure" we did make a surprisingly nearly-useful armored car out of it---remove the undercarriage and ignore the firing slits and it's ALMOST decent, I think.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

I think we should redo the armored vehicle before we get into combat - although, I don't think vehicles will see a ton of use in city combat. That said...

I think there's something to consider with the research credit. When we make things that use our special resources, we somewhat determine their properties. So, maybe what we design should involve one or two of our resources, to make it more likely they'll have the properties we want out of them? If not, then I'd support either designing a radio or a better functional close combat weapon, although Taricus seems to have a decent revision idea for the smg.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Revision:  The SMG-13:
Whilst a solid step forward and a success by any means.  I believe we can improve upon our 'Stuttergun' and make it a real Chatterbox.  With the addition of a sling across the shoulders to stead the weapon and by placing the crank upon the left of the weapon instead of the top, our soldiers will easily be able to use the right arm to brace the weapon against their hip and hold it stead whilst guiding it and cranking it at once.  Whilst we're at it, let's see if we can clear up the unreliability issues and improve on the loading issues.

Reviewing records of the desert skirmish with the Selicates, it's quite obvious that the most feared fighting force in open combat, is in fact, our own army.  With such unclear information on the state of the Abberational forces, I can only conclude that we should figure a way to best ourselves.  To this end I suggest we put our mistakes in building the Kerata to use in designing a more mobile artillery base.  I feel counter battery fire shall be of the utmost importance in armies on the field fighting, and as such place high demand on the ability to rapidly relocate our artillery.

Deisgn:  The self propelled Artillery:
Using the engine of a Kerata, combined with a Gravite plated firing platform, we should beable to drive our artillery where it needs to be, unhitch the firing platform, which can be lowered via cutting power to the gravite plates to stabilize it against the ground.  Then, after firing a barrage, we should be able to raise the platform by running power back through the plates, and rapidly relocate.  This is not to say we shouldn't also try and redesign the kerata or another vehicle to serve it's purpose, but whilst one team is doing that, I feel this should be the next logical step.

Also, can we do something about the abysmal lack of intel on enemy operations?  Maybe spend a revision getting spies or some sort of reliable information about we might expect to encounter if we meet Abbera at Harren?

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:17:43 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An Espionage Credit with certain special rules attached may or may not be right around the corner.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome!

Revision: ArC-13c:
Let's rip out the damn Grav plates.  Without them bouncing everyone around, we should still have a serviceable vehicle.  Maybe make the bench seats fold down so they don't interfere with firing when in combat.  Send the alteration specs back to GM and let them know we'll hafta build these ourselves if they can't handle it, which should get them onboard, since they want a steady paycheck.

Quote from: votebox
Revisions
SGG-12 (1): Jilladilla
SMG-12a (1): Taricus
The SMG-13 (1): Yami
ArC-13c (1): Yami

Designs
Caelium Sleds (1): Taricus
VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio (1): NUKE9.13
Self Propelled Artillery (1): Yami
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:30:05 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

It's still 1912, Yami. Bear that in mind for your designations.

Also, I'm pretty certain that the Sleds were meant to be a revision... (Taricus, can you please add your 2 cents to this?)

Glory to United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the question there is, a revision of what?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Caelium sleds are a revision. Not a design.

Revisions
SMG-12a (1): Taricus
Caelium Sleds (1): Taricus

Designs
VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio (1): NUKE9.13
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotcha.  Wasn't sure Taricus, but didn't wanna leave you out.

It's still 1912, Yami. Bear that in mind for your designations.
Riiight.  Which is why I suggested that rather'n hitching up our guns and rolling them around like savages, we attach 'em to a cab and get a truck that just drops the whole rear firing platform where we need it.  Basically a fancier version of the aforementioned sleds.  Because it's 1912, and I expect we'll get bogged down in trench warfare somewhere, and want a leg up in the whole counter battery, artillery hunt that'll devolve into.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love decent radio as well, I just you know, don't mind giving our soldiers the tools they need to win, and not giving 'em a chance to talk back or ask for more help.

~Yami
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:36:52 pm by Yami »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Revisions
SMG-12a (2): Taricus, Twinwolf
Caelium Sleds (2): Taricus, Twinwolf

Designs
VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio (2): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Sigtext!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Who dares wins.
Revisions
SGG-12 (2): Jilladilla, Maximum Spin
SMG-12a (2): Taricus, Twinwolf
Caelium Sleds (3): Taricus, Twinwolf, Maximum Spin