Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1902, Strategy Phase.  (Read 3807 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1902, Strategy Phase.
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:39 am »

(Flag made by kot)
Long ago, our ancestors were masters of all of Asia and most of eastern Europe. All of this was set into motion by the great Genghis Khan. However, we did not get here due to Genghis Khan, we got here by Kublai Khan, who sent us to invade the last of Asia that wasn't under our control...Our ancestors failed to do that, and a massive storm destroyed the invasion fleet. lost and unable to find the lands they where previously meant to invade nor the land they where trying to return to, our ancestors searched for months before they found these lands, and made a home in the north. Slowly, they built up, and slowly, they found themselves in desperate need for more supplies in order to survive. So, the current Khan of the time ordered a raid on the ripe and undefended lands to the south. The returns where much more then expected, and another raid was sent, and then another. Eventually, this lead to a full conflict with us making good advances at first before being pushed back, then we pushed back, and then they did. This cycle lasted for ages, but recently a man from Europe, specifically a place called France came to our lands. After a few weeks of learning how to communicate with him we had an exchange. In exchange for some of the things of worth we had, he would give us brand new technology of something thousands of times more powerful then a bow, a gun it was called, and he showed how it worked. We took the deal, and now we plan on ending this war once and for all. And the Khan has chosen you to make us finally overcome the southern natives. Once again, we will show the superiority of the Mongolian empire.

OOC and rules/what the hell is this here

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

So, Engineers of the Khan, what will we design?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:39:44 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, Karikhita, 1900, Design Phase.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:57 am »

I shall Join this side!

Rifles are made of metal, Something we do not have direct access to in great abundance for the amount of weapons we will need, Bows are made of wood- Something we can far more easily gather, I would propose we develop a combination, a crossbow if you would, a somewhat complex device Which would shoot Bolts Farther and harder then our bows can- and far more accurately then our guns while still being the cheaper to produce.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:24:36 am »

Hey joe what is the reason why our muskets complex?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:10 am »

Yep, you got them really recently and not everyone who makes weapons knows how to make them or can easily learn how to make them yet. Kinda like in the original arms race where the good gun was expensive while the cheaper one was cheap...Just instead of a gun you got a bow as the cheap weapon...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:05 am »

So could we use a revision to make it cheap or do we need to wait till our industry go up.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:24 am »

A revision will de-[Complex] the rifle.

No, we don't want to design a crossbow. We need to design a cannon now, if last game is anything to go by. For a revision we could produce "buff coats", basically thicker rawhide or leather jerkins capable of stopping musket balls, arrows, and fragments from explosions or wood thrown by cannonball impacts. Or we could improve/make a warship, since we seem (?) to have none right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:33 am »

Rifles are made of metal, Something we do not have direct access to in great abundance for the amount of weapons we will need, Bows are made of wood- Something we can far more easily gather, I would propose we develop a combination, a crossbow if you would, a somewhat complex device Which would shoot Bolts Farther and harder then our bows can- and far more accurately then our guns while still being the cheaper to produce.
Actually, we have more than enough Ore to produce as many rifles as we want.
And based on last game's tech progression rate, a crossbow would go obsolete in about 2 turns.

Anyway, yeah, artillery is our first step. I would wager my horse on Nafuna doing the same. I think we should go for a reasonably light piece, and ensure it is fairly mobile.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:10 am »

We could use the design on simple iron cannon with grapeshot and round shot, and maybe structure it so it can be easily upsized to a larger caliber, to cover multiple artillery roles at once?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 01:53:12 pm »

Just watching
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 02:03:44 pm »

Ok for cannons I suggest something along the lines of the 12 Pounder-Napoleon

so here are my ideas for now.
4kg cannon:
bore diameter: 10.5cm
gun length: 2m
gun weight:  550kg
with carriage: 1050kg
shot weight: 4kg
max range: around 1.5km

5.5kg cannon
bore diameter: 12cm
gun length: 2m
gun weight: 630kg(bronze)
with carriage: 1200kg
shot weight: 5.5kg
max range: around 1.5 km

yeah i know that both of the guns here are practically the same, but with the 5.5 kg cannon it will make for a good naval cannon with just a simple revision to lengthen the barrel which will up the range to around 2km
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:32:47 pm by Khang36 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 02:15:13 pm »

Hmm. Cast bronze is a better material than cast iron for cannons, and I don't think we have the tech to deploy wrought-iron cannons yet. Anyway, here's a light-ish cannon

Shonkhor 2kg Cannon: Haven't we done this before? Well, anyway. Introducing the Shonkhor 2kg Cannon. Made of cast bronze, this weapon is like a really big rifle, in that it is a tube that you put gunpowder in, then a projectile, then light the gunpowder, then watch your enemy fall over dead. There's slightly more to it than that, but the basic principle is fairly simple. As the name suggests, the projectile for the Shonkhor is a 2kg ball.
The Shonkhor has two wheels, and can be attached (or limbered up) to another set of two wheels, which can then be pulled by a team of horses.

Khang, where'd you get those cannon numbers? Cos I'm pretty sure cast bronze cannons weigh less than cast iron cannons, despite bronze weighing more, since you need less bronze than iron.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 02:25:22 pm »

I just just converted by density of bronze to iron and assumed that the same volume of metal was being used if that is not resonable than i will get rid of the iron mass.

Edit: for the other numbers i got them from looking up comparable cannon used by the french army.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:27:51 pm by Khang36 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 02:30:49 pm »

I just just converted by density of bronze to iron and assumed that the same volume of metal was being used if that is not resonable than i will get rid of the iron mass.
Yeah, no, cast bronze is better than cast iron for various reasons, meaning you use so much less metal that bronze cannon end up lighter. The only reason people used cast iron cannons was cost, I believe. Now, once you get wrought iron, things change, but like I said, I don't think we're there yet.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 02:33:23 pm »

Ok got rid of the cast iron weight for the guns

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:57 pm »

Bronze is denser and thus better for the cannonball, iron is probably still better for the cannon structure. However, copper is relatively rare as far as metals go, and tin is even more rare, so bronze is sorta-kinda-a-little-bit harder to get than iron.

Kinda.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5