Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404521 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Mummies Alive!
« Reply #2085 on: July 14, 2019, 08:02:58 pm »

"...I don't know if anyone cares, but... I went to check that "Antediluvian" corpse from before. It didn't look like anything from this world, and many parts seemed to be useless and have no function..."

"These things... They certainly aren't "human", but still "try" to look like them for some reason... Why would a creature have a mouth if it can't talk, eat or breathe with it? It was just a small hole, didn't even have a throat. Isn't that strange?"

Stick to Kara and protect the grop from danger.

Spoiler: Kalagony (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Oops
« Reply #2086 on: July 14, 2019, 10:21:04 pm »

AsHul waves his disfigured hand at Kalagony and taps his lumpen forehead, then continues stumping along on his i-beam legs toward wherever we were going.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 15, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »

Looks like we're moving along now. Stick with the group. Use my mothy perception to see if I notice anything weird.

Drett.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2088 on: July 16, 2019, 02:45:05 pm »

Looks like we're moving along now. Stick with the group. Use my mothy perception to see if I notice anything weird.

Drett.
"...I don't know if anyone cares, but... I went to check that "Antediluvian" corpse from before. It didn't look like anything from this world, and many parts seemed to be useless and have no function..."

"These things... They certainly aren't "human", but still "try" to look like them for some reason... Why would a creature have a mouth if it can't talk, eat or breathe with it? It was just a small hole, didn't even have a throat. Isn't that strange?"

Stick to Kara and protect the grop from danger.

Follow along while keeping an eye out for loot.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
Keep following Kara. Use my stonesense to ping for dangers that my compatriots might not be able to see.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

>Set leader Kara
>Set autofollow leader

"I thank you for the warning and the concern. We are indeed guests in this place, though perhaps these builders are but preparing a place for our kinds in the long term. Nevertheless, I will attempt to respect their boundaries, as much as possible within our goals. In truth, this place reminds me somewhat of the Relic Vision I and somoe of our teammates recently completed. That we haven't been brutally assaulted yet is ... a victory in itself."

Follow along. Contemplate what Dive would be most effective in getting me a dog sized Star Dragon.options include balaram xi - to summon one, balaram zon -to copy the one we saw before, and balaram Ah - to create one from scratch. Would I need additional spheres? would I need a second dive for some sort of control mechanism? Would I need to use Gesh to bind the thing to my will, and what difference wold there be between a temporary binding and a permanent one? Would i need Neth to make the binding permanent? Assuming I created the thing, would it come pre-bound? since I wouldn't be copying an existing design but making one of my own. Would i need source materials?

Summoning requires bringing something from somewhere else so...unless you know where one is or even that one exists, it might be a not so great result. Copying or creating are more viable you'd say. Though you should also consider if Balarim is the sphere you want. Was that thing technology or life?  Gesh to bind it to your will would be viable; the difference between permanent and temporary depends on how you set it up. It can be either, and doesn't need Neth to choose permanent.  It would not be pre-bound unless you sort of "Designed" it to be so, but there are chances that could fail. Source materials would make it easier, but they're not necessary.

This place feels empty. It is utterly devoid of the background presence of the crystal overmind. I'd like to leave here sooner rather than later, this is not a place for me to dwell.
"I don't think it's empty. I think it's filled with something else. And whatever it is, it doesn't like sharing. But as long as we stay out of its way, we should be fine."

"Noble Corven, may I make a suggestion? The Black Book seems to be directing us to locate some deeper connection here. Is there a place within your newfound knowledge where something like that might be found? A place where the Divine Touch might be said to be more concentrated? I wish to go there and find ... whatever it is God would place along my Path."
"I can direct you where I felt the presence at its strongest, if that is what you mean. I'm very interested in finding it myself. Just be on your guard, I'm not sure if it will like our intrusion."
Kara directed Crystal Friend to take her deeper into the ruins. As it walked, she lifted her arm and looked at the place the golden pin was embedded.
If this thing is a conduit, I really hope it doesn't work both ways. Even if I'm not large enough to register in its attention and be targeted directly, it could be that its presence there is overwhelming enough to affect me or even consume me. Becoming an empty vessel of... GOD or whatever is there is not how I want to die.
"If I feel anything weird I'll let you know." she added as she let her hand fall down and rest on the Obedience Rod.

Asking Kara for the nearest strong point of connection with the Divine, then I wish to head there quickly.
I accept. Lead the group there.
If I can remember anything useful about it or about the way that leads there, let the others know.
Also consider if that place is in the same direction as where I heard the roars.
Otherwise, just keep an eye out for trouble.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Kara starts leading the group away. They head back down to the sloped passage and start going down the stairs, descending hundreds or thousands of feet deeper than the bore.  It is in the same direction as the roar and the cist itself (which she now has a good idea where is) but they're not in the same place.

She eventually leads everyone to another passage branching off this main one, however unlike most of the others this one is blocked off by a massive stone door. The door appears to have been carved from solid, living stone and is shot through with gold veins just like the rock around it. The only decoration on the otherwise slab like structure is a giant carving of a highly detailed and anatomically accurate human heart.

"This is the most holy place I saw. I'm not certain but I think there's a saint in there." Kara says, gesturing towards the door.

Not yet. You could, though doing so would require repositioning the bore a bit so that you don't have the rope just grinding on a bunch of edges.

Sure, let's try that then. Reposition bore a bit, attach rope to crawler, doublecheck connections and the like. Then slowly and carefully walk crawler down to the divine corpse. 

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
[8]
You successfully reposition the bore, affix the rope, and then carefully drive the crawler down to the Antediluvian corpse.  It all goes better than expected really.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2089 on: July 16, 2019, 03:43:31 pm »

"I suppose we should use the crawler to push it open? I mean, we could use diving or Clate's abilities, but we don't know how whatever is in there will react to that. So unless anybody has a better idea... Hmm. Do your Black Books say anything about this? Or maybe you've heard some story about this?"

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:59:50 pm by Parisbre56 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 17, 2019, 07:03:00 am »

"I will consult the Black Book. I do not think forced entry would be wise. If we are welcome, these doors should open to us without resistance. if we are unexpected, perhaps announcing our presence would be the polite thing to do.

Be cautioned: if there is a Saint inside, it is likely a Feretrar - an antediluvian guardian of a shrine. As with teh antediluvians we have seen so far, they are unlikely to be readily understood by our more shallow minds.

Consult the Black Book. What does it say regarding Feretrars or antediluvian shrines? Does my religious background yield any other insights on the situation?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 17, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »

Oh dang, did we move on? If so, can I try to tie a rope to the corpse and haul it to the bore, then join the others as they went down (since that seemed like a timeskipping turn)? If not, can we say Adam went with the group and leave the corpse for what it is for now?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 17, 2019, 03:49:27 pm »

"...Honestly, I'm more worried about what killed the Antediluvian from before..."

Examine the door from a closer distance. Does it seem to have any sort of locking mechanism? If AsHul doesn't mind, try to push it open with my strenght.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2093 on: July 17, 2019, 07:19:01 pm »

"You're right. We don't know what's out there. I'll keep an eye out for trouble."

Make sure my Dynamo Lantern is nice and charged so that it keeps providing illumination. Find a defensive position, set up my rifle and keep an eye out for ambushes while the rest of the team investigates.

What do I know about those "saints"? Are they likely to offer information? Are they worth a lot of money? Or maybe there are things in that room that are worth a lot of money? Are they hard to kill? What's the best way to kill one? Can you cook them afterwards?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:21:00 pm by Parisbre56 »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 18, 2019, 01:40:34 am »

{Complex action necessary}=false
[Execute default action]
{Default action}={Follow Kara} 

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 18, 2019, 04:00:38 pm »

Use my stonesense to look/feel what's beyond that door. Communicate the findings of my crystal sonar to Our Ever-Victorious, Iron-Willed Commander, Kara.

Hotfire90

« Reply #2096 on: July 19, 2019, 07:30:50 am »

Continue standing guard.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2097 on: July 19, 2019, 09:36:26 am »

"I will consult the Black Book. I do not think forced entry would be wise. If we are welcome, these doors should open to us without resistance. if we are unexpected, perhaps announcing our presence would be the polite thing to do.

Be cautioned: if there is a Saint inside, it is likely a Feretrar - an antediluvian guardian of a shrine. As with teh antediluvians we have seen so far, they are unlikely to be readily understood by our more shallow minds.

Consult the Black Book. What does it say regarding Feretrars or antediluvian shrines? Does my religious background yield any other insights on the situation?

This is knowledge i'm giving you without a roll:
There are two kinds of saints recognized by the Church.
1. Living Saints
2. True Saints.

Saints are, in both cases, those who have been exposed to the mysteries of the deep long enough or acutely enough to be drastically changed and transcend mortal bounds. They have been touched by the influence of God and not been destroyed, thus they are considered worthy of praise and reverence.  The form  they take and their nature is vastly varied but you can think of them as a far grander version of what you are: they are abomination demigods.

Living saints are those who survive the transformation and continue to live on for however long. They are very closely monitored and followed by the church, though their actions are not impeded because it is believed that their actions have divine purpose. True saints are those who did not survive the transformation in the traditional sense. They are somewhere between alive and dead, clearly physically dead but still capable of action and intent. They are even more powerful than living saints and are often the target of pilgrimages, with the hope of gaining their blessing. The thing behind that door is no doubt a true saint, as the Antediluvians entomb and enshrine them when they are formed.

Oh dang, did we move on? If so, can I try to tie a rope to the corpse and haul it to the bore, then join the others as they went down (since that seemed like a timeskipping turn)? If not, can we say Adam went with the group and leave the corpse for what it is for now?

For the sake of time we will assume that you used the crawler to drag the body back to the bore and then drove it down to meet up with Kara and the rest.

"...Honestly, I'm more worried about what killed the Antediluvian from before..."

Examine the door from a closer distance. Does it seem to have any sort of locking mechanism? If AsHul doesn't mind, try to push it open with my strenght.

You take a closer look at the door, rubbing your paws across it. You discover a few things.
1. This door is actually a set of double doors; there's a seam running down through the center. Its so small that its not visible, but you can just make it out by touch.
2. The doors are pull, not push. They open outward, not inward.
3. You do not believe they are locked, they are simply shut and very large and heavy. You have nothing to grab hold of to try and pull either. The only thing on the door that can be used as a handle is the heart carving and its 10 feet up.

"You're right. We don't know what's out there. I'll keep an eye out for trouble."

Make sure my Dynamo Lantern is nice and charged so that it keeps providing illumination. Find a defensive position, set up my rifle and keep an eye out for ambushes while the rest of the team investigates.

What do I know about those "saints"? Are they likely to offer information? Are they worth a lot of money? Or maybe there are things in that room that are worth a lot of money? Are they hard to kill? What's the best way to kill one? Can you cook them afterwards?

You get into a defensive position, propping your rifle up on one knee  to stabilize it.

We will assume Ashul shares his knowledge with the group, so check his post.

{Complex action necessary}=false
[Execute default action]
{Default action}={Follow Kara} 

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Continue standing guard.
Code: [Select]
while (interaction_item = false)
{
follow_kara = true;
cout << "I AM BORED";
}
Use my stonesense to look/feel what's beyond that door. Communicate the findings of my crystal sonar to Our Ever-Victorious, Iron-Willed Commander, Kara.

Your stone sense reveals a single relatively large room, sort of teardrop shaped but with hard angles so...a hall and then a rhomboid room with a smaller edge towards the connecting hall and the larger edge on the far side. It seems pretty elaborate and there is what you think is a throne craved into the far wall, but beyond that you cannot see.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2098 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:27 am »

"Hmm... Clate, can you use your ability to strengthen things? Maybe make this rope sturdier? Or maybe get up there and hold the grappling hook in place?"

Try throwing my grappling hook on the heart. If I manage to get a secure hold, then tie the other end on some study part of the crawler and start very slowly pulling backwards.

If I can't get a hold secure enough to open the door and nobody else offers to do so, then use the grappling hook to get up there and manually secure multiple ropes in place. Multiple ropes should make it more likely for them to not break.

EDIT: Oh, wait! Unless I can use Crystal Friend to get up there. Can Crystal Friend climb any vertical surface? Or could it only do so in the crystal people ruins due to the special material the walls were made of?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:04:49 am by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 19, 2019, 11:19:34 am »

Clate turns his body towards Kara, like a living etch-a-sketch

I can certainly try. Or shall I attempt to make an opening in the door? It does look rather stone-y.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 231