Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404306 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »

If we're leaving, leave. If we're not leaving, wander off in search of more loot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »

"If we do intend to do something about them, we probably should deal with these collars now. Otherwise we won't be able to do much aside from having our heads exploded."
Just follow the group if they are already leaving.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 01, 2018, 06:46:44 am »

Dive one last time. Balaram Sige: alter tech.
Extend the reinforced bridge to reach the ruins.

path: 4 rolls
Reinforce balaram 2x reinforce Sige 1x: 3 rolls.
7 Nerve rolls, final Nerve roll, final Balaram Roll.

Should the Dive succeed, cross over the bridge to the ruins and meet with the group.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 01, 2018, 07:52:19 am »

Since AsHul decided to do the diving, read from my book.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 01, 2018, 10:30:36 am »

”I’m ready to head out as well. As far as plans, I’ll probably go along with whatever the group consensus is. Just let me know.
Also, if and when the snake is dealt with, it might be best to let Clate have it, considering the fact that he knows a little about everything, whereas I, and most other crafty people here are mostly weapons oriented”

"If you wish to do so, I will gladly take a look at the snake and attempt to learn as much as possible from it. Rest assured, anything gained from the snake will be used to craft weapons for the team."

If we're leaving, leave with the team. If not, faff about and pick up stray junk for building materials for a workshop.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #485 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:59 am »

”Well, I guess I’ll do it myself”
First, try to cut some chunks of crystal out of the wall/floor to use as junk.
Then, go and carefully carve a peak hole to see if I see the snake in the entombed barrel.
- edit - allow others to use knife

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
You walk over to the doorway and cut a few semicircular chunks from the stone; the knife's lack of stabbing point means you can't really just gouge bits out willy nilly, you have to have some foresight in how and where you cut.  The best you can do to carve a peephole is to slice off a chunk of the edge of the barrel, cutting enough away that it opens a small hole. You're about to start doing that when Nyw steps in front of you, apparently more desirous of going the direct route rather than fussing with peepholes and caution.

You shrug and take several long steps back before handing the knife off to an insistent young Ethral, who takes it reverently in all four hands at once and totters away.

Alex lets out sigh as he looks at his headless handle.

Collect the shovelhead and go back to the group.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
You sigh and pick up the shovel's sharpened blade, examining it for a moment before stuffing it in our bag, along with the handle. Then you head back up to the exit and rejoin the rest of the group.

"Harm, could I borrow your knife? I want to carve out some crystal material and make a proper weapon for the honored dead."

Request usage of the crystal-carving knife. If successful, carve out a flat pane, then cut that pane down to the size and shape of a large curved sword.

Spoiler: Wiellste... (click to show/hide)
[14]
You walk into the hall and meander a bit till you find a good looking section to cut from. You didn't want to hack large pieces out of the wall of a room you were standing in; Light knows how that would effect the stability of it. But out here, carving up a facet of the floor would probably be ok. You can't just stab into the stone so you have to start from outward pointed edge, and you can't do a plane since...well...you could cut the sides but cutting the back free would be difficult. You might be able to cut deep enough to separate the slab entirely- cutting the wall out rather than just slicing a piece off- but that would be dangerous in multiple ways. Instead you decide to cut a "V" shaped section of stone out; it would effectively mean the edge of the blade was already made, you'd just have to hone the rest of the design.

You cut into the stone with two long, straight slices and end up with a long rod with an isosceles triangle cross section. Getting it out is difficult; all three edges are razor sharp, though the edge created by the intersection of your two cuts is a bit wiggly- hard to be perfectly straight when you just eye ball it and do it by hand. You eventually shove it out from one side and it clatters down into the lowest point of the floor. You move to one end and start shaving the edges down, to make grip. Its difficult work; the crystal is like broken glass, every time you cut away a sharp edge, it just forms two more in the process. All you can do is shave off thin sections over and over until you have a pseudo round rod with something like 70 very obtuse facets. It should be fine, if wrapped in cloth or held in a gauntleted hand. You round the back edge of the blade off as best you can as well, though not quite as obsessively,  and shave thin sheets and fragments off the main blade until you have a good, sharp, straight edge. Its not a perfect thing; the edge isn't a nice pair of intersecting planes, the lead up to it has a dozen or so facets, very close to flat but not quite. You use a pair of cuts to put a backwards sweeping point onto the tip. The blade is maybe 5 feet long, give or take a few inches, and quite heavy and difficult to wield.

You carefully pick it up by the flat side and carry it back into the room, setting it down next to Nyw with a clink. 

Crystal "Murokumo" [Cut 6, Pierce 3, Fragile]

Open the barrel.  Nyw's a giant undead man in plate armor, what's the snake gonna do?  Rip his arm off?

Grab the snake and pull it out.  Snap it in half if it's hard to control, or somehow dangerous to Nyw; otherwise, hold it up and inspect it.  Maybe one of the moths might take an interest in it.

You grab the top of the barrel and tear it away from the crystalline lead with a grunt, letting it roll away. The inside of the barrel is a fairly solid lump of lead crystal so you bash it a few times with your gauntlet to break open. On the third bash the crystal suddenly starts breaking away all on its own and a moment later a segmented black blur erupts from a newly formed hole. [3] You don't have time to avoid the stabbing pounce so you raise a gauntleted hand and deflect the attack with the angled metal plate over your knuckles.  The stab glances off in a flash of sparks but its body wriggles in a way unlike any natural worm or serpent and snaps itself onto your arm, coiling around your wrist and forearm. It seems to be trying to constrict and cause injury, but your armor is withstanding it for the moment. [6] You make an slightly annoyed face beneath your mask and grab the stone creature, working armored finger tips beneath the middle of it and then ripping it off in another shower of sparks. It immediately starts lashing out with both ends, stabbing at the air but lacking the reach to coil back around and stab your hand or to reach your body. You raise your hand and whip the thing into the ground like you would with a struggling fish. It shatters, sort of. The individual pieces that make up the body don't break, instead they all just disconnect; like the beads of a necklace when the cord breaks.  They lay still, scattered about.

"Good job, Kara. I'm not in the best shape for hugging, though." Vikkan said, trying to inject some humor into the truth.

"I'm ready to leave. Everyone else?" he added, calling and waving to the assembled people with his left hand.
Leave when it's time to leave.
You watch the whole crazy mess with tired eyes and await the point at which you will be hauled up and out of this place.

"Yeah, I'd like to get this over with as well, but I think there are some things still left unresolved."

"So, do those tablets say anything about what this thing is?" Kara asked, indicating the artifact.
"I mean, it can't be just a fancy lamp, who would go into all that trouble for that?" she half-joked.

"Also, are we going to just give it to them and hope for the best or does anybody have a different plan? Just so that we're all on the same page here, I wouldn't like getting caught in the crossfire if you have something planned."

Do the tablets say anything related to the Artifact, the central tower or the purpose of this Outpost? (If it's too much for one turn just pick one. If someone more qualified wants to translate let them do it instead.)

Do I know why we didn't encounter any Crystal People corpses? Do I have any idea about where we would find them?

Out of curiosity, does the Artifact emit any light? Does its light appear strangely when viewed through my shirt or reflected off the walls? I'm thinking that since the fire in it appears further away than it is, then perhaps there is some message encoded in the way it emits light or some hints to its nature.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)

You double check with the Moths- once the other has finished her business with sword crafting- but they can't find anything about it. The inventory seems to just be about whats in those barrels people have been messing with this whole time. Nyw seems to have smashed what is, perhaps, artlessly translated as the "Coiled Obsidian trespasser incapacitater"

No one has ever found a Corpse of a Gemstone person; their disappearance is a mystery to everyone. Their records all just stop after a certain point, with little explanation. Its even more odd because there are no graveyards or tombs for them either. There are statues depicting the race, made by that race and by others, but never any bodies or places where bodies could have been placed.

The orb doesn't emit light, or if it does its too dim for you to see around here. No heat either.

"Yeah, I think I'm good to go about now as well. We could explore some more of the ruins but that means risking encountering more shenanigans as well, so maybe we should quit while we're ahead here. One thing remains to be decided before we leave however.

Do we hand over this artifact to those scoundrels and trust them that they'll release us unmolested, or do we try to overpower our captors and abscond with the relic and/or the bore?"

"Also, are we going to just give it to them and hope for the best or does anybody have a different plan? Just so that we're all on the same page here, I wouldn't like getting caught in the crossfire if you have something planned."

"If we do try to assault our captors, we'll need to make sure everyone is in on the plan and willing to commit. Both because we'll need every edge we can get, and because our captors might not bother to distinguish between rebels and those of us remaining at the sidelines.

Either way, I honestly have little faith in the good word of people who would strap bomb collars on unwilling people to clandestinely steal holy artifacts."

Consider how difficult it would be to use a dive to temporarily disable/prevent radiowaves from detonating our collars (aka how many times the material and action spheres would need to be reinforced minimally). Perhaps with Tzimtzvot and Jal (aka 'shield' an area from radiowaves)?

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

[7]
Radio waves are incorporeal, in a sense, stopping them wouldn't take much in terms of shielding strength. The real question would be how the shield would be constructed. A simple sphere is easiest but  it would be fairly big to encompass the entire collar, and there's the question of failsafes. There might be a timer built in that would detonate the collar automatically if it lost radio signals for too long. A fail safe escape prevention system, of sorts. If it has that, a shield would be a death sentence.  The material Cost would depend more on the range of signals you wanted to block than anything else. Radiowaves cover a huge band of electromagnetic frequencies, blocking them all at once would be difficult. As would be blocking a very specific signal. You need a small range of signals to block, 50-100 hz instead of 67hz or 100hz - 300ghz.

Many things you don't know.

If we're leaving, leave. If we're not leaving, wander off in search of more loot.

”I’m ready to head out as well. As far as plans, I’ll probably go along with whatever the group consensus is. Just let me know.
Also, if and when the snake is dealt with, it might be best to let Clate have it, considering the fact that he knows a little about everything, whereas I, and most other crafty people here are mostly weapons oriented”

"If you wish to do so, I will gladly take a look at the snake and attempt to learn as much as possible from it. Rest assured, anything gained from the snake will be used to craft weapons for the team."

If we're leaving, leave with the team. If not, faff about and pick up stray junk for building materials for a workshop.

I'm going to say that you find the black cube that the others found. And you know about that knife to cut stone. These are two important things.

Since AsHul decided to do the diving, read from my book.

Spoiler: Lokam Pilgrim (click to show/hide)

“Sometimes death is preferable to the alternative.” 

Dive one last time. Balaram Sige: alter tech.
Extend the reinforced bridge to reach the ruins.

path: 4 rolls
Reinforce balaram 2x reinforce Sige 1x: 3 rolls.
7 Nerve rolls, final Nerve roll, final Balaram Roll.

Should the Dive succeed, cross over the bridge to the ruins and meet with the group.

(13,   3,   20,   9,   3,   20,   2), (2, 3) -2 Nerve
That rebound is even stronger this time; it feels like you're getting slapped in the face with a foam sheet. Your nose is bleeding and your vision is blurry, but they both right themselves in the next few minutes.  The bridge extends, flowing, pulling a small amount of material from all over it till it connects to the structure. It holds there, connected, for maybe 15 seconds before the thin extension cracks and then crumbles into the lava; apparently not enough material was transferred for the extension to be stable.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Crystal weapons, Snake charmers, and Bloody Noses.
« Reply #486 on: August 01, 2018, 11:45:23 am »

"Upon reflection, it appears that trying to shield all of our collars from radiowaves to prevent a signal from detonating them would prove to be rather cumbersome. So, if we want to disable our collars, we'd have to do something else, such as converting the explosives into neutral matter. And we'd have to do it one by one as well. This certainly rather complicates things."

Consider how difficult it would be to use a dive to convert the explosives in a collar into a non-dangerous substance (aka how many times the material and action spheres would need to be reinforced minimally).

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:55:56 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2018, 02:06:34 pm »

"How very frustrating. After all these Dives, I did not Dive deep enough. And I was that close. Well, I better rest up. I can't fight ten armed men alone in this condition, and it's a long walk back to mason, during which the Bore wold surely overtake me."

Return to the relative cool of the tunnel and rest. Consume one Worm's Blood.

Hotfire90

« Reply #488 on: August 01, 2018, 03:14:37 pm »

"Could someone with one of these crystal creatures come with me? There are some doors and barrels that need to be opened."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »

"Sure, I'm willing to help explore, as long as you don't try anything too dangerous."

Offer to help open barrels/doors with Crystal Friend but keep a safe distance after doing so.

EDIT: Hmmm... Have I heard of Gemstone people being able to fly or use flying vehicles? I mean, why would they have a balcony in a storage room? Did they perhaps load materials through it? Or did they simply enjoy the view?

Do the tablets mention the location of the "Obedience rod" or even what it looks like? An artifact like that might be useful for fighting against our abductors and potential birb tail grabbers.

EDIT2: Oh, and make sure Vikkan stays away from anything dangerous. Because we can't afford to lose our driver, not because I like him or anything.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:06:43 am by Parisbre56 »

Hotfire90

« Reply #490 on: August 01, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »

"Right, follow me."

Head back to the room I came from.

Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 01, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »

"Hey, there's this big black cube here. It's pretty dang heavy, but if we use that gem-cutting knife we could totally cut it up into smaller pieces to use or sell later. Plus, we get to see if there's anything inside or under it.

Friend Harm, would you mind loaning me your special knife for a moment? Or just coming over here to cut the cube yourself? "

Hotfire90

« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:14 pm »

"That cube is completely solid and quite heavy too. Seems to be made out of obsidian, which is extremely sharp, so if you start cutting up the cube, do try to create some knives out of the obsidian."

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 01, 2018, 04:18:39 pm »

”Obsidian you say? Wonderful! I was hoping to find obsidian, I shall go with you, and let you use my knife! Should we split this one between us as well?”
From now on assume, situation permitting, that I will lend the knife to anyone, unless I specifically say that I won’t.
Go with Clate and let him use my knife to cut the obsidian.
Should I record the semicircular crystal chunks as structural junk? If so, how many?

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 01, 2018, 05:18:27 pm »

”Obsidian you say? Wonderful! I was hoping to find obsidian, I shall go with you, and let you use my knife! Should we split this one between us as well?”
"Excellent friend Harm, how kind of you to allow this. I would say that splitting it between us would be no problem. The cube is too heavy to carry even with two people, so there should be more than enough material for the both of us!"

Using Harm's gem cutting knife, start cutting up the obsidian block into chunks, for later use in crafting. Equally divide these chunks between the two of us.

If the obsidian block start behaving weirdly and otherwise emitting death, run to cover.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 231