Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gameplay sped up?  (Read 2036 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gameplay sped up?
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »

I feel like the game has sped up... like within 2 migrants inflow i had over 100 dwarves and i sorta miss the more personal slow growth... now i have too many to keep up with, and i havent had any crimes happen or fun stuff like fights and tantrums and berserk rampages... its just been work work work.. did they tweak it or something? It feels so different.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay sped up?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:20 am »

It would be nice if the init file included a multiplier to adjust the rate of immigration. As it is, you best bet is manually raising the population cap when you want more migrants.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:23:01 am »

I dunno if that will effect the amount of migrants you wil get... I feel like alot has changed with the newer updates but they are little things barely noticable... but the game feels  more flat less dynamic...

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:09:14 am »

I feel like the game has sped up... like within 2 migrants inflow i had over 100 dwarves and i sorta miss the more personal slow growth... now i have too many to keep up with, and i havent had any crimes happen or fun stuff like fights and tantrums and berserk rampages... its just been work work work.. did they tweak it or something? It feels so different.

What version are you running? The newest .44.10 includes an update to stress which greatly increase tantrums and other FUN. If you're using .44.10 expose them to violence and death but be warned, the stress caused is so severe and long lasting it's considered imbalanced and needs tweeking in the next update. Your dwarves could go insane by the dozens, that should break up the monotony nicely though.

I think after the first two hardcoded migrant waves the number of migrants you receive after that depends on your exports. If you buy out the traders or offer a bunch of goods word gets out that your fortress is rich and everyone comes for a piece of the pie. Less exports, less migrants.

As Leonidas said messing with the population cap in the init is probably the best way to maintain control over the number of dwarves you get. If you start with a low population cap from the beginning you can increase the cap at your desired rate. I like to set my population cap in the init to 50 or even 25. This lets you stay small and relatively unharassed until you feel like raising the cap. You can attend to the vital jobs, get to know your dwarves and prepare for more numbers as you see fit. You should be able to increase the cap by however more dwarves you want and you should get a migrant wave(s) that puts you roughly at your goal.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:11:26 am by Hiarhu »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:55:26 am »

I believe the two initial migrant wave sizes are affected by fortress wealth, as I tend to get larger waves when I don't have to penetrate an aquifer (that task puts a damper on production, as it means I don't have any rock to produce rock crafts from, and my penetration method blocks the building of a roof over the courtyard, because I restrict the building job to only the miners for penetration efficiency, so less structural wealth is produced as well).

When I don't play dead civs (two waves and that's it), I set the pop cap to current pop + 10 after each migrant wave to get a nice gradual pop increase until I reach my target. This is a more micro managery/fine grained use of the mechanism proposed by Hiarhu.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »

I dont see the population setting in the init file

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:20:59 pm »

Found it. Okay so yeah i do think adding a cap for how many migrants can show up would be great, id leave everything the same but make migrants only able to trickle in by like 3 to 5 at a time insteaad of the 30 i just got

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 09:46:04 pm »

I'm looking forward to the next update.  When migrants come, I'll choose the ones I want and push the rest out to the hills :-)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »

I'm looking forward to the next update.  When migrants come, I'll choose the ones I want and push the rest out to the hills :-)
You'll need hillocks first, which will need either military conquest, or wealth. Either way you'll probably be swarming with migrants before that happens.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 10:36:27 pm »

It seems like emigration should accompany the refusal of migrants.

Urist McLikesWandering says, "Not enough beds, not enough tables, packing my bags.... Hrrm, going to take that book with me too!"
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »

Urist McLikesWandering says, "Not enough beds, not enough tables, packing my bags.... Hrrm, going to take that book with me too!"
Yeah, though once step at a time. Losing vital dorfs at the wrong time really upsets some people. So it's got to be handled right.
But it's seems like they'll be able to leave the hillocks for a better life at least (If that's what "they might not remain there forever" means) so we're pretty close I imagine.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 02:50:19 am »

Yeah, though once step at a time. Losing vital dorfs at the wrong time really upsets some people. So it's got to be handled right.
But it's seems like they'll be able to leave the hillocks for a better life at least (If that's what "they might not remain there forever" means) so we're pretty close I imagine.
There is an old DFHack script for emigration. It's currently broken (fixed in next DFHack release), but a version that should work until then can be found in the DFHack thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.msg7787203#msg7787203. It can be noted that the script excludes highly skilled dorfs (without discrimination, so legendary cheese makers stay as well), as well as naturalized citizen non dorfs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 03:53:03 am »

There is an old DFHack script for emigration. It's currently broken (fixed in next DFHack release), but a version that should work until then can be found in the DFHack thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.msg7787203#msg7787203. It can be noted that the script excludes highly skilled dorfs (without discrimination, so legendary cheese makers stay as well), as well as naturalized citizen non dorfs.
Surely part of the Fun of implementing emigration is trying to please your vital, highly skilled dorfs so they don't want to leave?

Well, we'll see what happens. Could be that this is all that's planned. Ship out the non-vital dorfs to the hillocks leaving them free to emigrate if they want, retain the vital dorfs at the fortress and they won't leave.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:07 am »

Urist McTrump's zero-tolerance policy for the fisherdwarves and cheesemakers.

(Don't get him wrong, he loves cheese more than anyone, but we should prioritize the skills we need. There's going to be a great ☼gold door☼.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:50 am »

Agreed with the premise. There are too many migrants too quickly to control.

If your fort gets the reputation of a lot of dwarves dying, immigration slows to a more reasonable (but still pretty fast) pace.

The problem comes in when the friends and relatives of the dwarves you just "accident"ed notice and get angry, as well as anyone who sees the bodies. So you have to wipe out an entire wave of migrants, or choose the survivor(s) carefully. And you have to do it with magma or a hole nobody will see down. Having the entrance a trap-door bridge over a chasm isn't an option anymore, so we have to be more creative.

Although the massive number of slabs you produced to bust ghosts just made the value of the fort skyrocket.

That, or put in a recommendation in the suggestions subforum that we get some control over migrant waves. Even if it's something simple like a wealth benchmark like we have for titans arriving in the world generation choices.
Pages: [1] 2