Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 59997 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 03:30:29 pm »

Non-Drippy Balloons
Currently the Sky Eye's engine drips burning fuel on people when adjusted, which is bad for the people and extra bad if it starts a balloon fire. The engine needs to be upgraded so it, well, doesn't drip fuel on people.

Better Observer Gear
Both in the Sky Eye and in the Rhino, the flying observers need better gear. This revisions seeks to get them Cameras and Binoculars, and if they should lack them already good quality notebooks and drafting pencils to draw with, as well as maps to compare what they see with what the maps say.

Quote from: Revision Votes
1 dice to Pilot armaments, 1 dice to Voyeur Recon equipment (1) : Jerick
1 Dice to Non-Drippy Balloons, 1 dice to Better Observer Gear (1) : Happerry

Rewrote the Recon Equipment thing so that is also helps the Sky Eyes because they need Binoculars and cameras too. And I consider leaking burning fuel on people a more important thing to risk then getting pistols for our pilots, those are almost impossible to use well in the air as a pilot anyway.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 08:02:03 pm »

Ok good plan, I have an idea for a Snipair rifle.(a sniper rifle for use in the air) it should be able to compensate for the swinging of the balloon of I do my write up right.
Also, happery since I am away from my computer could you add my vote to your plan? I would rather not have to try to do so on mobile.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »

You know why don’t you make it simple and just get a light machine gun for the airplanes?, their the best to perform for aerial defense since they have automatic fire and high-caliber rounds for penetration, something like a air-cooled Lewis Gun, any air-cooled machine gun because water-cooled is probably
 a bad idea because of weight. Than the airplane gets upgraded to .50 cal (12.7mm), and than 20mm auto cannons when necessary. Also I guess a air-cooled LMG would be high-techy and experimental, except for WW1 the Lewis and other light machine guns since it was widely used
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:50:28 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 05:36:48 am »

Rewrote the Recon Equipment thing so that is also helps the Sky Eyes because they need Binoculars and cameras too. And I consider leaking burning fuel on people a more important thing to risk then getting pistols for our pilots, those are almost impossible to use well in the air as a pilot anyway.
Good points, leaking fuel really needs to be fixed and including recon equipment with our balloons is also a good idea. However I disagree with the pistols being impossible to use. Early aerial encounters before pilots were issued weapons involved yelling of insults at enemy pilots, waving of fists but that devolved into pilots bringing bricks, grenades and even rope (they hoped to jam the enemy props with the rope) which they would then chuck at the enemy planes. Then it stepped up to light weight guns and pistols. Also the pilot armaments revision includes grenades for use against ground targets which is something I very much want.

Quote from: Revision Votes
1 dice to Pilot armaments, 1 dice to Non-Drippy Balloons (1) : Jerick
1 Dice to Non-Drippy Balloons, 1 dice to Better Observer Gear (2) : Happerry, dgr11897
I've changed my plan and added dgr to Happerry's plan as he requested.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 09:59:59 am »

Hrmmm is there any way to effect effectiveness, cost and bug rolls? Rather a lot hinges on those three dice rolls.

Later in the game I may introduce credits to roll twice for those categories, but for now there's no way to affect them. You can choose to double up on the rolls for project time estimate and expense though.

If there are no last-minute votes I will roll the balloon fix and observer gear revisions shortly.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »

Verusa Revision Phase, Early Summer 1915:

Non-Drippy Balloons
Currently the Sky Eye's engine drips burning fuel on people when adjusted, which is bad for the people and extra bad if it starts a balloon fire. The engine needs to be upgraded so it, well, doesn't drip fuel on people.

Efficacy: 4

Verusan engineers have a spirited debate about whether the Sky Eye’s burner unit qualifies as an engine, which is interrupted when a junior engineer announces she’s replaced the leaky valve responsible for the problem. The balloon observers are extremely relieved, and buckets of water are no longer standard-issue equipment.

Better Observer Gear
Both in the Sky Eye and in the Rhino, the flying observers need better gear. This revisions seeks to get them Cameras and Binoculars, and if they should lack them already good quality notebooks and drafting pencils to draw with, as well as maps to compare what they see with what the maps say.

Efficacy: 2

One of the engineers happens to be a member of a bird-watching society, and recommends their set of gear which seems to fit the requirements being asked for. Their gear consists of a model of high-quality binoculars, along with sketchpad, pencils and a copy of “Barnson’s Guide to the Birds of the Grand Lakes”. The binoculars have good magnification, and even come with a handy neck strap to ensure that they don’t get dropped over the side. Attempts to source for a good camera are unfortunately cut off by the arrival of the army liaison, who insists that the army maps already issued to the pilots are of the highest quality and precision, and there is no need to seek better maps.

“Barnson’s Bird-Watching Essentials”: A set of gear for aerial observers. Currently consists of a set of high-quality binoculars, sketchpad and drafting pencils. Cost 1 PP for 2 squadrons.

It is now the Production & Deployment Phase, Early Summer 1915. You have 9 production points remaining.

Please agree on a single design to submit as your air force’s insignia.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 04:21:49 pm »

I think I'll follow along here. For king and country!

For actual production, obviously we want to use our fancy new balloons, so 1PP to a balloon squad. This leaves us 8 PP to spend on two more Rhino squads and have 2 left over for maintenance. If our maintenance costs get too high we'll ground some crappy Rhinos. I also submit we rename our Rhino squadrons to "Squire", befitting of their presently noncombatant role, and keep the nomenclature for future scout squads. I propose we name our balloon squad Rook 1, with the comparison to a castle chess piece appropriate to their immobility, and keep this nomenclature for future lighter-than-air squadrons.

Quote from: Spending Plan Alpha
PP Budget: 9
Form Squads:
Rook 1 (1PP)
Squire 3 and Squire 4 (6PP)
Upkeep:
Squire 1, Squire 2 (2PP)
0 PP Remaining

[X] Spending Plan Alpha

If possible I'd like our existing Rhinos to benefit from Barnson's Birdwatching Essentials, I don't think it should be a problem since it doesn't require any actual modification of the planes.

For our Insignia, I vote in favor of the purple winged sword. I like the original version which is pointing downwards, because initially we're going to fight stuff on the ground.

[X] Purple Winged Sword

Edit to add: Can we Requisition as well as making a design, during the design phase? I'm thinking a smart move might be to try to get the army's radios. Then we'd probably have to have larger baloons and/or biplanes to fit them, a two-seater biplane with a radio operator/gunner might be a good long term plan.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:35:20 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 05:01:50 pm »

Attempts to source for a good camera are unfortunately cut off by the arrival of the army liaison, who insists that the army maps already issued to the pilots are of the highest quality and precision, and there is no need to seek better maps
I will ask the army liaison if up to date pictures of enemy movements, encampments and defensive positions would be something the army would be interested in. And that if so would they be willing to help us outfit our planes with cameras in order to provide this?

Can we Requisition as well as making a design, during the design phase? I'm thinking a smart move might be to try to get the army's radios. Then we'd probably have to have larger baloons and/or biplanes to fit them, a two-seater biplane with a radio operator/gunner might be a good long term plan.
My understanding was that we attempt requisitions through designs and revisions like the better observer gear.

Quote from: votes
Production plans
Production Plan Alpha (2): Sensei, Jerick

Insignia
Purple Winged Sword (1) : Sensei
Red Winged Sword () :
Wings at Hilt () :
Had we gotten the cameras I'd vote for a production plan that upgrades things rather than buys two full squadrons but without the cameras this is certainly the better choice. As for the insignia I'll leave people to add their own votes in and I really have no preference as to which we use.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »

Production plans
Production Plan Alpha (3): Sensei, Jerick, Happerry

Insignia
Red Winged Sword () :
Wings at Hilt (1) : Happerry

Grabbing Radios next turn seems like a good idea. I'd also kinda like to see if we can design a better plane, something with a better control scheme and maybe a mount for one of those flour bombs that we were talking about earlier, or a built in camera or something. Maybe build a light machine gun (well, medium probably, I don't think proper light machine guns exist yet?) into the propeller to get around the 'can not fire through the propeller' issue. Long term that'll be crap but short term it should be easier then getting proper interrupter gear going.

Or just go build a blimp/zeppelin bomber/scout and upgrade to non-anchored floaty things technology.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:39:37 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 02:37:12 am »

If possible I'd like our existing Rhinos to benefit from Barnson's Birdwatching Essentials, I don't think it should be a problem since it doesn't require any actual modification of the planes.

For our Insignia, I vote in favor of the purple winged sword. I like the original version which is pointing downwards, because initially we're going to fight stuff on the ground.

[X] Purple Winged Sword

Edit to add: Can we Requisition as well as making a design, during the design phase? I'm thinking a smart move might be to try to get the army's radios. Then we'd probably have to have larger baloons and/or biplanes to fit them, a two-seater biplane with a radio operator/gunner might be a good long term plan.

If you want your squadrons to have the binoculars you'll need to spend PP to outfit squadrons with them.

Requisitions can be made during the design phase, are not mutually exclusive with designs, and are free to make. Their outcome depends on the relations with the army, as well as what level of technology the army has. The resulting equipment that you get might or might not be suitable to supply directly to the squadrons. Also, the army and navy currently don't issue cameras as standard equipment, so you can't requisition for those.

Also, you might want to specify where and how (what role) the new squadrons should be deployed, referring to the maps posted in the core thread. The navy has not yet requested you to send forces to the southern islands front. You may petition them to allow a squadron stationed there now, or you may choose to wait until the navy sees a need for the air force on that front. Such a petition would be free in terms of dice, while success depends on a mix of prestige, your usefulness to the navy, and the naval/land situation on the southern islands front.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 06:41:53 am »

Requisitions can be made during the design phase, are not mutually exclusive with designs, and are free to make. Their outcome depends on the relations with the army, as well as what level of technology the army has. The resulting equipment that you get might or might not be suitable to supply directly to the squadrons. Also, the army and navy currently don't issue cameras as standard equipment, so you can't requisition for those.
Oh really? I thought we needed to spend dice and revisions to do requisitions. That changes things. We'll be requisitioning a bunch of stuff this next design phase in that case.

Quote from: Deployment plan Alpha
Petition Navy to allow Squire 3 to deploy at Southern Islands
Squire 4 deploy at Derboise-Jawanin Road
Rook 1 deploy at Demisonne-Dreidansk Road
Squire 1 and 2 remain at current deployments

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 10:47:59 am »

I'll second Jerick's deployment plan.

Is there a limit on how many requisitions we can make (EG one per turn) or does it just depend on our reputation?

We may want to actually use the Barnson's Burd Watching stuff. I'd be willing to cancel formation of Squire 4 to equip people.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 12:02:33 pm »

We may want to actually use the Barnson's Burd Watching stuff. I'd be willing to cancel formation of Squire 4 to equip people.
I wouldn't for several reasons;
  • I'm skeptical of the benefits of a few pairs of binoculars and sketch pads compared to the deployment of an entire squadron of recon planes. As I mentioned previously if we had the cameras it might be worth it. But the way I see it our pilots won't be using binoculars that much however birdwatcher stuff might be useful for our balloons though.
  • Squadrons gain experience over time and some of that experience is retained even if we switch the type of planes they use. This means the earlier we get out more squadrons the more opportunity they have to gain exp and the better for us. Though we want to be careful to avoid starving ourselves of PP to invest in projects by having massive maintenance costs
  • PP not used at the end of this turn is lost, as a result I'm much more in favor of plans that make the best use of our PP

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »

Quote from: Spending Plan Not Alpha
PP Budget: 9
Form Squads:
Rook 1 (1PP)
Squire 3 (3PP)
Barnson’s Bird-Watching Essentials x2 (2PP) - Equip one set to all squadrons
Upkeep:
Squire 1, Squire 2 (2PP)
1 PP Remaining

Quote from: Deployment Plan Not Alpha
Squire 3 deploy at The Northern Mountains
Rook 1 deploy at Central Plains
Squire 1 and 2 remain at current deployments

Personally I think that the balloons really need farseeing equipment of some kind to be used to their full potential, and I don't want to bother the navy by asking to deploy our stuff to their area until we're sure it'll actually make a big difference, which we can't be sure about yet. At the very least I'd want radios in our planes so they can report enemy ships seen before they land and it'd likely be too late and irrelevant. So here's my plans, which addresses those two issues.

Production plans
Production Plan Alpha (3): Sensei, Jerick,
Production Plan Not Alpha (1): Happerry

Deployment Plans
Deployment Plan Not Alpha (1): Happerry

Insignia
Red Winged Sword () :
Wings at Hilt (1) : Happerry
Forenia Forever!

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 07:41:39 pm »

Is there a limit on how many requisitions we can make (EG one per turn) or does it just depend on our reputation?

I'm going to go with one per turn for now.

I'll wait a while more for more votes for the various plans and a tiebreak for which insignia to adopt. Also, any thoughts on what to call your air force, or leave it at "Verusan Air Force"?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58