Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54562 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Late Spring 1915, Production Phase
« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:19 am »

Maybe something about helping the nation and experience of this new battlefield with minimal risk
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2018, 05:42:28 am »

Bear in mind this is a recruitment drive for pilots to flight-test new aircraft, not for actual frontline pilots.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2018, 05:46:49 am »

Bear in mind this is a recruitment drive for pilots to flight-test new aircraft, not for actual frontline pilots.
I know, what I suggest is more like having the experience of this new field and helping the nation without going to the front lines
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2018, 06:26:50 am »

My suggestion still holds, only text will be that our test pilots hav the highest chance of survival as far as we know.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2018, 08:28:42 am »

Also, I'm not sure the Dogbark as it is now is worth buying. Which is convenient, because I don't think the Midako PP is instant?

The Midako PP can be spent this turn - this is because it is the Midako Kokudaitai approaching you to make a deal, and you are agreeing to pre-set terms instead of haggling. In future, I'll make a note of when exactly extra PP is going to be available, which may change depending on your trading partner and the type of deal.

But it seems like both the proposed plans so far use the extra PP anyway, so nothing needs to change.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 08, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »

Is it opssible to snipe from ballons?
Balloons go up some distance behind the front lines. So, whilst anything is possible, sniping from a balloon is utterly impractical.

Anyway, we were asked to provide more support to the north this turn. I think we should send at least a recon squad that way.
Also, I'm not sure the Dogbark as it is now is worth buying. Which is convenient, because I don't think the Midako PP is instant?

In non-strategy news, we need to think about the event. There's my brief entry, but we could definitely use more.
Good point on the bomb, and we might need to pay to upgrade them. I swapped it out for an R7 > R9 EFM upgrade, and changed the bomber feather to strafing, both near Dreidansk.

I don't feel that there was any urgency to the northern front's request, and prefer to focus all offense on the central front.

Someone argue against the ace hunting, it's really tempting me.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:15 pm »

It will be neverending hunt, as 5 shoot down planes will become easier with growing number of planes. It would be easier to simply fly in preplaned formations as bait for aces that think they are good enough, while still doing other things.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 08, 2018, 04:26:55 pm »

Ace hunting will generate prestige for us. A clear win.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 08, 2018, 05:07:19 pm »

Thoughts:
- The Verusans may well continue leaving their ace on tour duty, or give him some other relatively safe role, so I'm not sure of the usefulness of dedicated anti-ace flights. Another option could be to see if Piotr would like to publicly issue a challenge to him; since Alderic would be flying either an obsolete Rhino or an Emu he hasn't had much time to get to grips with we should hopefully have good odds of winning such a contest, which they couldn't refuse without losing prestige.

- Since the generals are confident of taking Estwice with just reconnaissance and spotting, I'd suggest taking squadron 9 off strafing and having them support either the Estwice or Basselton air superiority squadrons. (@Nirur, you forgot to remove the Dogbark from them in the Regular plan)

- Finally, I'm not sure about selling our Feather plans; 2 PP doesn't seem like much at all (although I guess it would pay for upgrading both R7 squadrons).
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 08, 2018, 05:21:42 pm »

Thoughts:
- The Verusans may well continue leaving their ace on tour duty, or give him some other relatively safe role, so I'm not sure of the usefulness of dedicated anti-ace flights. Another option could be to see if Piotr would like to publicly issue a challenge to him; since Alderic would be flying either an obsolete Rhino or an Emu he hasn't had much time to get to grips with we should hopefully have good odds of winning such a contest, which they couldn't refuse without losing prestige.
I considered it, but that also gives them a really good idea of what we're doing, and the planes should do something else if he doesn't show. Probably with reduced efficiency, sure, but it might be worth the risk.

- Since the generals are confident of taking Estwice with just reconnaissance and spotting, I'd suggest taking squadron 9 off strafing and having them support either the Estwice or Basselton air superiority squadrons. (@Nirur, you forgot to remove the Dogbark from them in the Regular plan)
They're not strafing Estwice, they're strafing around the northern city, hopefully helping to take the narrow strip of enemy-held connective land. It's probably not really needed, but I didn't want to assign them to air-superiority both to test strafing effectiveness and because they're only feathers, and the airspace is getting crowded.

Thanks, dogbarks fully removed.

- Finally, I'm not sure about selling our Feather plans; 2 PP doesn't seem like much at all (although I guess it would pay for upgrading both R7 squadrons).
Honestly? I mostly just want to see what happens.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 08, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »

Every fighter with an R9 engine is a fighter that's more effective in hunting down their planes. Though we really need to work on the climbing issue for the EFM soon. If that means selling some feathers to a third party, so be it. I mean, we've given the ottomans a more potent craft :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 08, 2018, 05:55:50 pm »

Quote from: Nirur Torir
I considered it, but that also gives them a really good idea of what we're doing.
Maybe, but there's not much they can do about it besides refuse - if they can even convince their Daring ace to do so. In that case they'll probably take a prestige hit anyway, which is mission accomplished on the ace front.

r.e. strafing: My thinking was that a squadron of feathers could at least prevent the enemy getting a numbers advantage against one of our lone EFM squadrons, even if they may not be too effective on their own. Testing the effectiveness of strafing is a good idea, but since we have new bombs and bombers in development I'm not sure how much use we'll have for strafing in the future.

Also, here's another leaflet for the test-pilot drive; I tried to co-ordinate it with Nuke's entry but don't think I got the style quite right.

Calling All Pilots!

Are you intelligent? Skilled? Daring? Do you want to test the limits of your abilities, whilst testing the abilities of the most cutting-edge aircraft around? Then the People's Air Force needs YOU! As a test pilot, you will provide invaluable support for the war effort, helping ensure that the equipment which reaches our boys on the front lines is the best it can be. With on-the-spot advice from our experienced pilots and engineers, backed up by the brilliant TEP Safety System - already on licence to other great powers of the world - even the most stubborn new planes will be a breeze to handle.

So don't hesitate! Sign up as a test pilot today!
Glory to Kolechia!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:02:24 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 08, 2018, 06:11:42 pm »

Quote from: Nirur Torir
I considered it, but that also gives them a really good idea of what we're doing.
Maybe, but there's not much they can do about it besides refuse - if they can even convince their Daring ace to do so. In that case they'll probably take a prestige hit anyway, which is mission accomplished on the ace front.
Not just with ace hunting, but it comes with an expectation of us giving more effort to the central front, which might change their orders.

r.e. strafing: My thinking was that a squadron of feathers could at least prevent the enemy getting a numbers advantage against one of our lone EFM squadrons, even if they may not be too effective on their own. Testing the effectiveness of strafing is a good idea, but since we have new bombs and bombers in development I'm not sure how much use we'll have for strafing in the future.
Alright, strafers shifted to Estwice. My regular plan now has 2 EFM R9s + Piotr near Dreidansk and 1 EFM R7 + 2 feathers over Estwice.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 08, 2018, 06:27:18 pm »

Not just with ace hunting, but it comes with an expectation of us giving more effort to the central front, which might change their orders.

I hadn't thought of that, good point; I guess if we did do it we'd have to swap out Piotr's squadron for one on a different front. Which would keep him away from the key action so not ideal.
Hmm. We could just give a squadron ace-hunting orders and have them deploy late to whatever front his squadron turns up at. Might not work though.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 08, 2018, 06:49:08 pm »

I honestly think that issuing an honorable challenge would be best. As you noted, the enemy ace until at least recently flew a rhino, so a 1v1 would be great, and look good for us.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57