Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 38125 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2018, 01:48:31 pm »

By making a Bethesda game multiplayer? It's a studio with little to no experience making multiplayer games, and their games are notoriously buggy even without multiplayer.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:24 pm »

T-posing

whatsa t-posing

a te-påse is a bag of tea

is t-påsing teabagging
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2018, 03:51:39 pm »

T-posing

whatsa t-posing

is t-påsing teabagging
It's what the scarecrow-ghoul is doing at This timestamp.  I don't know the technical details, but it happens a lot in poorly made unity games.  It seems to be a "default" state for humanoid models, where they stand straight with their arms straight out to their sides, resembling a T.

In some games you can spot it for a second as a model loads in, before they load the proper pose-data.  But when stuff goes wrong, you get cases like the above, where distinctively scarecrow-like models glide along the floor.

I'd only really seen that in really bad Unity games until now, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »

T-posing

whatsa t-posing

is t-påsing teabagging
T-Posing is when a character model doesn't have any specific animation or pose it's supposed to be doing, and it reverts to its default. Straight back, head up, arms straight out to the sides, legs together. Very popular in Gmod.

When seen during normal gameplay, it means something got fucked in the up.

Spoiler: This thing (click to show/hide)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »

Your base doesn't stay in the world when you log out, and only gets taken down if you load into a world where someone else has a base inside where yours would end up.

The pieces get put into the "storage" tab in the build menu, you don't lose anything other than time setting back up. I picked a nice spot in the forest that I've never seen anyone else at for mine, and it's been fine. Maybe in higher density, more popular areas it's more likely to be stored away.

I've seen a few instances of enemies T-posing, but it's usually Scorched who make sense to be stuck in a position.

Haven't tried PvP, because I'm not about that. I've got pacifist mode on, which means I can't accidentally hit a player and initiate PvP. I'm only level 11, though, as I've been busy with work.

All in all, I enjoy it. Done a few world events, which was fun. Difficult to solo, but it's fun enough.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2018, 06:50:35 pm »

So... did they capped the FPS, but didn't fixed FPS = speed problem, and if you have less than perfect FPS you run slower?
Yep. If you look at the ground you still run faster because your FPS is higher due to having less shit to (badly) render.

They literally just shoved multiplayer into FO4 without even bothering to fix bugs that were in FO4 at launch. Endgame is literally reskinned dragons. There's no protection from script kiddies. Bases delete on logout. You can't fucking PvP because you do next to no damage without the other party firing back, so either they just run off stimming or they instagib you with their first shots back. This is genuinely appalling on so many levels.

It's FO4 with broken textures, T-posing and invisible enemies, no NPCs, and badly broken multiplayer. This is unironically a 1-2/10 rating, it's a worse and more blatant cash grab than I would expect from EA.

No Man's Sky at launch at least had a playable game.

Pardon, but this seems almost entirely wrong to me.  I got a free key for beta and decided to buy the game based on the experience. It's perfectly playable, though the servers do seem to crash from time to time. Multiplayer works fine, you can group up and play co-op or not as you see fit.

I haven't seen anything T pose or go invisible yet in over 40 hours in game. The game is full of NPCs, mostly hostile. There are no fully human NPCs by design, though plenty of human voices in holotapes and such. I haven't encountered anyone using obvious cheats. PvP is, as you describe, only between consenting parties.

I'm enjoying it so far, I expect I will for quite a while. I hope they add more content for the endgame but the map is huge and I've only explored a fraction of the locations.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2018, 08:40:26 pm »

Yep, I still don't see all the things people are complaining here or elsewhere. Literally spent all day playing with girlfriend and the only bugs we found:
- If the game lags out when entering power armor, you can freeze in place. As a pro at BethBugs I fast traveled a few times and re-entered the power armor and it fixed itself.
- Sometimes interacting with a crafting table makes the crafting animation but doesn't bring up the crafting interface. Then you go play and maybe 2 minutes later the interface comes up out of nowhere. (pretty sure this is related to my relatively high ping)
- We suspect Automatic weapons suck for those with high ping, but I haven't confirmed anything yet.
- We suspect the Wanted system can be heavily cheesed by having buddies that kill you when things get ugly. Today I missed a shot and somehow hit a player object and it made me Wanted. My girlfriend killed me for a 5 caps bounty and that was it. At least YOU drop the caps for your own bounty so its not outright broken, but still another poor decision.

No disconnects the whole day. We each took over a workshop and went afk when we took breaks. No Pvp challenges or any bad interactions. Since I started playing, only 1 dude challenged me but I was lvl 5 and he lvl 15 and I was entertained reading lore, so he walked away.
We also took part in a dynamic event and suddenly there was 5-7 players of different levels fighting it out with a ton of zombies ferals Scorched. No griefing, no cringe, lots of open mics, jokes and people telling about the cool loot they got, everyone piles up to look at a zombie head inside a jar, then everyone leaves peacefully.

In any case, again, comparing/rating the whole game by its beta is pretty silly and:
No Man's Sky at launch at least had a playable game.
That's just an absurd comparison and statement. I finished NMS in its first week after release and that was the worst experience I ever had, it was seriously masochistic, and had near zero content.

I understand it's a cool meme and that Bethesda brought it on themselves, but again, bashing the release due to Beta stuff is bizarre. Did anyone ever play, for example, Battlefield betas? Battlefield 3 beta was disgusting IMO, and that game has a crazy small scope compared to this.

Tomorrow they said a large patch is coming for fixes/optimizations, and then working on features and rebalacing.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2018, 11:42:52 pm »

I personally find it actually fun..

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2018, 01:00:45 am »

Add me on there - Gabeux. I'm trying to Max Gunsmith and gf trying to max Armorer. Even if we don't run together, it enables fast travel and other supportive things.

I plan on always having a workshop working with food/water/junk (and lock junk/component production for Team-only). Since we're all hitting the 400 stash limit I don't care if folks help themselves.  :P

Before logging out for the day I had my first experience in pvp. Someone tried to take my workshop, I fast traveled in, threw a couple nades (I had no more stash space and had cleaned out traders, so I had to..dump them). He dies and drops junk right by my stash.
I get it, store it and logout. Lol. Payment for all the screws I spend building things..Lack of Screws is the new Lack of Adhesive.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2018, 09:41:04 am »

Also have been having fun with it and I'm starting to find humor in all the detractors because you can really tell based on their arguments that they're just on the hate bandwagon instead of having formulated a real opinion.

Like the T-Posing, that was something that only happened in BETA, something they said WOULD happen in BETA, and was fixed in BETA.

Or the "reskinned skyrim dragons" in relation to the scorchbeasts.  If this: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/41973090953611681/B2C79CEEA3226ED65611D24E650E38121147ABA7/ looks like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D11GCQvdZZg/maxresdefault.jpg to you, you either need to get your eyes checked, or realize you're having trouble formulating your own opinion.  Even in the air the scorchbeasts are less graceful.

When it comes to lore breaking...the time to complain about that was with Fallout 3, which is funny cause if you cruise over to the Fallout 76 forums you see most of the people hating on 76 are holding up Fallout 3 like it's some paragon of RPGness, story, and character choices.  Now it's just like "well, yeah, it's Bethesda Fallout, at least now they're trying to make up some sort of sense to their retcons".

And everyone who brings up the no "NPC's" no story and all of that...look, yeah if you prefer your story to be told to you through voice acted cutscenes and theater play sets instead of actually reading and using your imagination then you're going to have a bad time.  But if you take the time to read the game's story is def a better entry to the series than 3 or 4 were.

All that said though I definitely do have issues with the game.  PvP is pretty much non-existent, and you can tell everything they did to discourage griefing was a knee-jerk reaction in listening to the people who were never going to be happy with the game being all online anyways.  In a setting such as Fallout other people are supposed to represent your greatest threat and that's just non-existent in this game right now.

Like others I find the storage limit to be a bit too limiting, but I actually don't wish for an increase in the stash size itself.  I have a sneaking suspicion that originally all the other containers you can craft were originally just going to be regular containers since the ones you come across in the world also seem to have weight limits.  There've been a couple times I was out in the world and just started sticking things like excess food ammo and weapons into a suitcase near one of the train stations and got the "container is full" message.  I feel like they made the change that all crafted containers being linked to the stash because again, all those single-player players used the "people can grief me and steal all my stuff and that's bad!" argument at first to detract from multiplayer.  Another reason I believe this is...you can lock your doors on the buildings you build, but there's absolutely no point to do so at the moment.

Vendors have a shared cap limit tied to your character.  It was frustrating having a bunch of stuff to sell, getting all 200 caps from a vendor, fast travelling to the next only to find out they also have no caps.  This gets frustrating because caps are actually scarce in the early and mid levels and trying to find all the plans for things like armor out in the world is an exercise in futility, but they all cost between 100-300 caps, with some ranging in the 500-700 range.

Scrapping armor and melee weapons doesn't seem to work like scrapping guns do.  So much like the problem above, you gotta fork over the caps for armor mod plans which again sit firmly in the 100-300 caps range a piece.

Too many Points of Interest.  Like I know and understand that going in any direction you want and running into a new area is a Bethesda staple, but it does make finding a good or out of the way area to build your base frustrating.  The best you can do is build near a PoI that doesn't seem to be tied directly to any sidequests and hope people don't stumble on it.  That said though I'm sure my personal choices in this regard will open up a bit more once I get the plans to the water purifier that doesn't require being placed in water.

So yeah, the game isn't without it's issues, but seriously the hate it's getting now isn't in relation to it's real issues, and when you hold it up against everything else in the genre it's the most polished survival experience you can hope for, especially if things like offline raiding and alpha clans turn you off.  For a survival game it's one of the less buggy ones, and hell for a Bethesda game it's one of the less buggy ones too.  But I understand, the Offspring summed it up best:

https://youtu.be/P4mEgZMxsWA

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2018, 10:35:51 am »

Agreed on all accounts.

About the Stash size, I believe they should make it upgradeable. I like the system in place now, because it would be a mess if people could lockpick and steal your stuff. And honestly, from a RP perspective, it would be infuriating given that Vault 76 was a successful vault, full of happy people who were taught for 25 years how to cooperate and how to rebuild. They didn't expect the world to be utterly hostile, but I don't think this would make people go "herpderp lemme kill people I've lived with for 25 years for some junk and keks". Even though I understand that in a Wasteland, other people are threats, the people you run into are other Vault Dwellers from the same Vault as you, not raiders or bandits. And that Vault priority was to preserve life and the mental state of the inhabitants.

Of course, all that Vault background is to give reason as to why the game isn't Rust or Fortnite. In any case I still 100% agree on any carebearing in this game when it comes to CAMPs, because people that want a solo or Fallout 4-like experience should be left in peace. But I completely agree that Pvp has to be overhauled.
Workshops are a step in the right direction, in which you invest resources to make resources, and people can take what you built from you. And if you had 2 hours of production in the inventories and couldn't defend, tough luck.
This sort of optional / side PVP activity, I want to see more of. Even full, open PVP zones.
All in all, I think their head is in the right place (protect PvE, make PVP optional), but the execution is what you'd expect from people that never made a multiplayer game.
I fully expect it to be improved though, given that complaints come from both haters and actual players.

Going back to Stash size, I want it to be upgradeable but NEVER infinite. I'm very sure the reason power players and high level people aren't harassing and attempting full map domination at the moment is because they would gain little to nothing from it.
Having limited storage and limited vendors make people interact with other players. Yesterday I reached the size limit and 'donated' 350 steel and 400 .38 ammo to a level 3. We proceeded to perform the love emote and murder robots.
I've been cleaning out the Responders vendor out of caps but still full.

As a tip, about vendors:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: We need to get some screenshots going.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:41:15 pm by Gabeux »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:08 pm »

With the stash I think what was originally intended and what I'd like to see in regards to storage was that the stash was always going to be your safe storage, where you stick your rare items and rare crafting mats you don't want to lose, while craftable containers would be where you stick your more mundane stuff like wood and steel, ammo, etc.  Then from there you'd be able to lock the containers.  Like I said, you can already lock your doors and you can even choose the level of lock you want it.  It'd also be cool if at some point you'd be able to put maglocks on certain things and require terminal hacking instead of lock picking.

With the vendors I did try ones in both the forest and savage divide areas and from memory they seemed tied to eachother, at least both were very low in caps, but I'll have to double check because I could definitely be wrong and just sold off a bunch of stuff to both during the day.

Another thing I am really hoping for, at the very least for when they roll out their private servers...text chat.  I do hate voice chat for any situation where it isn't absolutely necessary and even PTT coming is more of a "meh" from me.  As someone who wants to play as a crafter and sell things like weapons and armors it'd make it a LOT easier for me to organize prices up front

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »

Oh definitely, that storage stuff would be cool, only thing I get worried is how CAMPs work when you join a server with a CAMP already in your spot - it unloads yours and all that. If they can make it so the items in those mundane storages aren't lost between sessions, then I'd be all for enabling some stealing. After all, you already become Wanted if you try to lockpick someone's resource extractors, so consequences are already in place.

And for text chat, I heard rumors of more 'immersive' systems for text comms, and I have 0% evidence of it being even planned. I do believe something text-related will come though.
Although I'd really rather not have a MMO-like Global Chat - would prefer for them to put in some work and have those 'immersive' systems in place (like a Message board in terminals or anything else that is not just a textbox), local text chat really needs to be a thing. Mostly because a lot of people hate mics and a lot of people can't figure out volumes even if their lives depended on it (they can't hear you or you can't hear them).

And another note, I've realized if you place your CAMP near a resource spot such as a mineral vein or junk pile, you can build an Extractor just like you can in Workshops.
Finished downloading the 15GB patch (dafuq) now waiting for the maintenance to end.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2018, 10:07:04 am »

So yeah, did double check on the vendors and you are right, the cap limits are tied to faction which was a pleasant surprise.  One thing kind of weird though that probably has more to do with my luck than anything...I have 2 characters going at the moment, 1 melee tanky focused and the other more sneaky army ranger focused.  All the recipes I want to buy on each guy only show up in the vendors on the other character.  Like my sneaky guy gets all the heavy armor recipes popping up while my tank guy gets things like tents and water filter(not water purifier) recipes

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2018, 02:34:17 pm »

Servers down for maintenance. That first patch got my game 20-30% more stable and lowered some issues and made the combat much less laggy, but a couple new minor-but-weird issues seemed to crop up from it. All of them fixable with a reconnect, but still annoying at times. Hopefully that's what they are addressing today.

I'm at level 32 and finally running some Power Armor - got a T-51, and already assembling a T-60. I've finally realized certain enemies and places are great for EXP (Super Mutants, high level ghouls), while others are great for gear (Scorched), so it made my leveling and gearing up more efficient.
I'm also finally at a level where I feel confident to claim the Ammunition Factory and/or one of the Nuclear Plants. I've also realized some Workshops have Vertibird landing pads and, if repaired, a Vertibot will defend the Workshop for you, and also go fight for you if you use a Vertibot Flare (similar to FO4).

I accidentally tried to take over the Ammunitions Factory from a player (I thought it was Unowned) and it was terrifying. There was a million turrets inside, and when I ran away I could hear the player coming after me in power armor + vertibot seeking me + a Gun Emplacement sniping me from afar. Totally bailed and sneaked in the forest since I wasn't looking for Pvp.

I've read a few horror stories of bad player interaction, but in my case it's all been pretty great.
I'm doing my part - already gave items and helped 3 newbies. One of the times I gave a level 3 guy my fully upgraded level 5 Scout Pipe Revolver Rifle and 250 .45 ammo while saying "Welcome to the Wasteland" and wearing the Responders Police Uniform. He thanked me and asked where was the computer to join in with the Responders, I took him there and said "Join us today".
Later, my girlfriend asked "Do you realize you just became an NPC?". Dang.

And once I was exploring the little town where the Mothman Museum is in, then I hear a radio host voice saying that Preston Garvey needed our help to spread the word of the Minuteman. I instantly said "Oh god please no" and asked my girlfriend if she had turned on any radios near us. After I look around for a bit I find a player that was either fully playing FO4 radios or using a soundboard, and I begged him "Please don't tell me another settlement needs my help. Preston Garvey isn't born yet." and the voice said something like "Seems like a settlement needs your help!". I responded "nooooo" and The Wanderer by Dion started blasting and the guy started dancing.

Btw, I got a random friend request yesterday and couldn't check the name and couldn't see the invite anymore. In-game friendlist is a bit screwed up when it comes to friend requests, so if anyone here added me in there let me know since it will require me to add the username back.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18