Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 119

Author Topic: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!  (Read 139241 times)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!
« Reply #960 on: July 01, 2018, 09:46:36 am »

The People
Action 1:
3 workers harvest at H4 with 3 crude tools
Action 2:
3 workers forage at G3 with 3 crude tools
Action 3:
1 worker forages at H4 with 1 crude tool
Action 4:
Ymar with !*Rehield*! and the Armor of Purity
The half-secretary bird with a crude spear
The trapper with a crude spear
Hunt at G4
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 01, 2018, 12:05:13 pm »

He then spends another 27fp (9 multiplies of 3) to zap the Lens buffed giant to a grand priest of Amastay. Soon, as he grows stronger, he will become the unstoppable priest king of the giants.

You cannot actually target a specific giant with a zap. Though its early enough for even a regular worker to take full advantage of this. If you have concerns about it being lost at the start of a new era you could see if you could set up a bloodline or include something about the worker no longer aging. It would be expensive, but it would be a shame for it to be lost at the start of a new era when the whole point of the artifact is long term growth.

... It might have been a mistake to actually tell the players about what the next era would entail.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:08:24 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 01, 2018, 12:14:43 pm »

How exactly will I get a Magus if I need a Magus to train a Magus?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 01, 2018, 12:34:43 pm »

Disci puts 5fp into the divine project of Nagas, Apzu.

"Now, Nagas I would like to twist Apzu's personality a bit. I want him to be very slow to undertake projects but when he does he always puts 100% behind that project. In the sense: When he picks something up he does so completely with the uttermost diligence and discipline.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 01, 2018, 12:36:41 pm »

Does mine not warrant consideration Disci?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »

"You speak with little respect towards the gods."

((ooc: i feel that one can be said about the civs at hand and their tech. There is a few of them that are similar in techs and undertakings. Coincidentally they are close to one another and have been interacting. therefore there could be a standard set of techs distributed towards them which would seem plausible. Civs like cait sith and the monastary are unique however as they have chosen an original path. Take cait sith: while most civs have concentrated on worldly things like tools housing food protection, they have concentrated on magic. Reaching the next age would be findamentally different for them. They wouldnt be good at creating tools but they would be able to create plants that serve the same purpose as tools created the conventional way. The monks would maybe come up with martial arts styles that represented that same thing.

I love this game and i feel that the complications of having sifferent skillsets for civs can be represented))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 01, 2018, 01:08:58 pm »

I have forseen the end Disci, it will likely be turn 40 due to the dead rising as described in the Arcanum. We also have Hogwarts, but unless this game lasts to 50, that won't happen this age.

Actually getting that Divine Project finished would be great both short and long term.
Even if we have to reawaken our gods to start getting any boosts going.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:11:51 pm by TricMagic »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 01, 2018, 01:14:59 pm »

Tellus rests, hoping that the cait sith will use and appreciate his gifts, and expand their metallurgy knowledge. Meanwhile, however, he must recover.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 01, 2018, 05:32:37 pm »

Quote from: Supernerd
I've really been going all out on this game to make sure my actions are as good as possible

Yeah, something you guys might not have realized is that there actually is an optimal way to grow.  Basically, workers are everything, and you want to get your worker numbers up as quickly as you can.  So research improving houses should be a priority, which makes efficient food production important so you can concentrate more on research.  I think it goes something like this:  get max workers, research better housing, research more efficient food production, increase workers to new maximum, research even better housing, etc..

Supernerd had a big advantage because he has experience in Gridhood and realized this.  He also had a big advantage from the fertile tile that was created for him early in the game.  Fertile tiles are probably the best (for a civ) 5 FP a god can spend.  Farsky made one for him early, which helped offset his higher than normal food consumption.  It's interesting that there were only 2 fertile tiles made, and they are both by the giants.  You guys really should have been begging for a fertile tile early on.

The People-Xekarni-Dipnoi cluster were also at a disadvantage because they were hostile towards each other and had to compete for limited good tiles and expend research towards defense.  On top of that, for some reason the gods kept replacing plains around there with shit tiles (although the Dipnoi like swamps).  Also, made a gate that spawned powerful monsters next to them, for some reason.  Although they've received a few beneficial Zaps and a couple of artifacts, they have been hindered by the gods more than they've been helped.

So yeah, there is actually strategy to this game that should be taken into consideration if you don't want to fall way behind.  But fret not -- the new age will bring a reset of sorts that I've already described.  I'm not sure when it will start but it will be sometime after a turn 40 cataclysmic event.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 01, 2018, 05:52:19 pm »

In my opinion, the Giants biggest advantage was the Gigantic Structures tech! Without researching specialized housing, they were from the start able to reach a populatuon of 15, which is quite massuve from the start.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 01, 2018, 05:56:51 pm »

I'm not sure when it will start but it will be sometime after a turn 40 cataclysmic event.

We Cait Sith know exactly what's going to happen there. We'll be prepared.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 01, 2018, 06:06:31 pm »

In my opinion, the Giants biggest advantage was the Gigantic Structures tech! Without researching specialized housing, they were from the start able to reach a populatuon of 15, which is quite massuve from the start.
Gigantic Structures might have been overpowered, yeah.  The doubling of building effects is getting to be problematic.

On the other hand, eating 50% more food is a big disadvantage early in the game.  If they never got fertile tiles, a lot of the extra workers they got from Gigantic Structures would have been dedicated to food production.  If they were in the People's or the Xekarni's situation -- that is, the gods making poor food tiles instead of fertile tiles around them, and also having to research defensive techs -- the Jotun would not be as advanced as they are, I think.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 01, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »

I agree that Gigantic Structures is just absurd. Although I think its what is supposed to offset the 1.5X food costs which I have originally referred to as "Crippling" quite frequently. It falls a bit short of crippling now that I got the essentials figured out.

Edit: I'll also point out that the construction techs I got have been giving a different value for regular sized people and giants. That means other civilizations who research the same construction techs would actually get the same amount of housing for half the cost.

There are a few other bits of advice I can give. You always want to focus on food, and the ideal amount to have seems to be just enough to tide you for a turn if things take a turn for the worst for some reason. Too much food leaves your stockpile vulnerable to rats, bears, and ratbears while too little leaves you vulnerable to starvation.

Edit: Yeah, I definitely needed a quality food tile and I needed it sooner rather than later. I would have offered prayer for it if it came to that, but Farsky was smart enough to notice that the tile would pay for itself.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:34:39 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 01, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »

At least we're fnally at the point that we can just use 3 to gather food, and if all else fails, the Philosopher can just use his Pure Thought to survive. No need to feed someone who doesn't work.

That won't help long term though. I want that trait boost to my people.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 01, 2018, 11:06:05 pm »

Hidden Monastery

1 cobra d.BMA with Fey-Hair Ribbon, 1 cobra BMA & 1 woodpecker d.MA forage food on K10
1 BMA, 1 seagull d.MMA & 1 seagull d.JMA forage food on I8
Neheb forages food on K8
3 workers build a wooden house

Create 1 new worker
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 119