Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games you probably haven't tried; the best games no ones ever heard of  (Read 2334 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

this is a thread for shilling cool games that were way ahead of their times and weren't as popular as when they were released, or games that got overshadowed by a much bigger release. also for indie games that don't have the hype power of undertale working for them or are just getting started and look DOPE.

this came about cuz i realized i was shilling an old ps2 game called Steambot Chronicles1 to a friend who had dug his ps2 out of storage; he souped it up with custom firmware and everything back in the day so it can run roms.

and I myself was recommended the game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning2 after having a conversation with a online friend about fable and fable-likes.

1:Steambot Chronicles, it's this open world ps2 game that set in this weird 1930s steampunk universe where they invented personal transport mechas and they use them for everything. there's cars and stuff but bots are where its at. kinda like a studio ghibli mechwarrior game. except with a ton of side shit to do. you can get instruments and busk for some money on street corners, fight your custom bot in arenas, take a couple chicks out on dates, hunt for treasures by mining fossils or delving in bandit infested dungeons, kinda roguelike style. heck you can even play with a band and invest in the stock market! and lease a pimp apartment downtown to take your dates back to and stuff it full of priceless artifacts you stole.

2:Kingdoms of Amalur, this had a semi-big release but it got panned over hard cuz it went really overbudget according to stories ive read. it's this kinda skyrim/fable combo that i just bought and got started with. im just past the tutorial and it seems legit so far.

feel free to gush about games that didn't see super hype but please bold the games title so we have a easy name to google off of.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:37:42 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeper hits/Hidden gems; the best games no ones ever heard of
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »

Chaos Seed. Secret of Mana meets Dungeon Keeper meets Feng Shui. Old SNES game, finally fantranz'd in the last few years, where you build dungeons according to arcane rules, make minions, and beat the hell out of invaders alongside them. It's pretty great.

Knights of the Chalice. Isometric 2D PC game in the sort of style reminiscent of Dark Sun and similar era CRPGs. Fairly simple in a lot of ways, but it really scratches a sort of combat heavy plot light turn based party hack and slash you don't seem to see very often.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:43 pm »

Alpha Protocol.

It's an RPG by the New Vegas studio that is effectively Mass Effect as a standalone spy story. It got bad reviews on release due to its subpar graphics, awkward gameplay, and bugs. The roleplaying aspect is great, however. Being self-contained, it's able to outdo Mass Effect for your choices having consequences and having varied endings.

It also keeps track of how many orphans you've created in the statistics screen.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »

Alpha Protocol.

It's an RPG by the New Vegas studio that is effectively Mass Effect as a standalone spy story. It got bad reviews on release due to its subpar graphics, awkward gameplay, and bugs. The roleplaying aspect is great, however. Being self-contained, it's able to outdo Mass Effect for your choices having consequences and having varied endings.

It also keeps track of how many orphans you've created in the statistics screen.

seems kind of silly to think nobody has heard of alpha protocol. an rpg made by obsidian and published by sega. about as mainstream as it gets without being battlefield. just nobody played because it was crap at release.

my submission would be Scavenger SV-4 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/779590/Scavenger_SV4/

an absolute gem.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 08:29:03 pm »

Honestly don't know how obscure this one is, but I've heard very few people talk about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1700/
https://www.gog.com/game/arx_fatalis

Arx Fatalis, it's a Ultima Underworld-like by Arkane (the people that did Dark Messiah and Dishonored.) I thought it was okay, but I don't like dungeon crawlers for the most part so I imagine people more into that would like it a lot more. (Make sure to use the Arx Liberatis engine remake.)

There's also this.

https://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_8
https://store.steampowered.com/app/245450/Wizardry_8/

Not entirely obscure either since it's part of a long series, but it seems to get overlooked, and I don't really ever hear it mentioned when people talk about RPGs. Really good dungeon crawler.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:26:36 am »

couple tycoons if you really are into the micrologistic/macroeconomy genrse (think the first industry giant)

sim airport: what it says on the tin - build an airport, handle people flows, land plane traffic, passenger needs etc. not really hard as a game, it's quite easy to turn a profit, but it's rewarding to make a well designed flow moving thousand passengers and watching planes go.

software, inc: another game where logistic is king. the economic aspect is a little more important here, so managing efficiency is key. building software is, surprisingly, the less developed aspect. the real game is creating the perfect building while managing noise, walking distances, access to bathrooms and snacks etc.

production lines: a proper tycoon, you manage one company floor space and build all the assembly stations to produce cars. that's it. balancing multiple cars sharing stations and timing everything properly is a real challenge, all while having to build parts on the side of the lines and match cars to sales. another nice time sink.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:45:15 am »

So far, this topic is not at all about "hidden gems", only about games you personaly didn't know, maybe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Argentum Age is an excellent cards game, only lacking some players for online battles : http://www.argentumage.com/

Better covered, but still not enough, Brigador is one of my favorite 2017 indi : https://store.steampowered.com/app/274500/Brigador_UpArmored_Edition/

Another excellent space game, quite similar to the X serie, Helium Rain needs more love and is awesome : https://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 06:34:10 am »

So far, this topic is not at all about "hidden gems", only about games you personaly didn't know, maybe.

well, that's kinda the point tho. in my spheres of friends, no one has tried steambot chronicles.

any game thats any level of obscure is alright here.

i suppose the thread title: Games you haven't probably tried. would be more accurate
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:37:14 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think I've ever seen this one discussed.

Malastro its basically an ASCII roguelike version of Left 4 Dead, but without npcs, it seems to be abandoned and it has no website but you can download it from the web page I linked, and if you want to play it you have to have a numpad.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Knights of Honor

RTS game where you can play as any country in Europe/North Africa. It has an overworld map, and a battle map. The overworld is sorta like Empire at War's and the battlemap plays like a mix of Total War and more traditional RTS games like C&C or AoE.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Warzone2100. Was way ahead of it's time back when it was released in 1999, I don't think any other rts of that time had a fully rotatable 3d battlefield, or at least none that ran as smoothly. It is open sourced nowadays (since 2004 actually):
https://wz2100.net/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Knights of Honor

RTS game where you can play as any country in Europe/North Africa. It has an overworld map, and a battle map. The overworld is sorta like Empire at War's and the battlemap plays like a mix of Total War and more traditional RTS games like C&C or AoE.
Yeah, a lot of KoH is very Total War-ish. The problem is that you effectively cannot have a large empire, because of how knights are handled.

Knights are your nobles, your agents, and your war leaders. A single knight can be a warrior and lead an army of up to nine units, a merchant who can handle a trade route, a spy who infiltrates the enemy, or a priest of your given religion. Your king is a knight, and his heirs are knights. Knights can also govern cities to make those cities less terrible.

The problem is, you can only ever have 7 knights... That's it, hard cap. This means you could theoretically have up to seven armies at once, but only if all of your royal lineage is on the battlefield and only if you have no infrastructure whatsoever, because knights are needed for that as well.

This, plus just how huge the map is, makes dealing with rebels a completely insufferable nightmare. Even if every city is booming with industry and everyone is at max happiness, there's always a minimum chance for rebels to spawn in a given province, and this cannot be avoided except by waiting it out (a process that takes several decades). And if a rebel party shows up to "reclaim their heritage", they'll promptly set about burning each and every building in their home province to the ground.

Only way of dealing with them is to send a war party outside the gates, and the only way of doing that is -you guessed it- knights.

Even your wartime diplomatic efforts are hindered, because when you capture and enemy knight or noble in battle, they occupy a space in your roster of knights. if you already have seven people working in government, you physically cannot take prisoners.

And don't for a second think that you'd ever be able to afford seven armies, because the tax system is borked. In my glorious empire spanning all of Scandinavia and Rus, my total low-tax income per year (high tax cannot be maintained in a city without a governing noble to provide happiness) was around 30 crowns. High tax (again, unsustainable. Rebels everywhere) would have been around 42 crowns, and I could call a war tax (lump sum with cooldown and heavy happiness penalty that slowly decays) worth around 4-500 crowns.

You know how much a single merchant can make in a year while handling a steady trade route? 200 crowns. With zero happiness penalty.

Merchants are your only way of paying for anything, nevermind the fact that you must have them in order to claim special resources in order to get enhanced empire benefits.

So once you've got 14-20 provinces in your empire, it becomes nearly impossible to do anything with them since you can't have enough armies to keep the rebels down, either because you don't have enough merchants making money, or because you literally just can't hire more captains because your table only has seven chairs.

And I didn't even have to deal with religion! Normally, when you conquer an area, you need to assign a priest there to help quell unrest and slowly spread the True Word so you don't suffer the massive "foreign religion" penalty to happiness and productivity. This takes many, many years, and you need a priest in each province. Yes, out of your seven total minister-knights.

So, how did I avoid this? Play pagans! The pagan religion is only available to a couple countries and only in the oldest possible start date, and once you convert to a "real" religion, you can never go back. Ever. Also, pagans suffer a 30% penalty to all income from any source forever.

So why go pagan? Well, first of all, no pope! No patriarchs or high imams or whatever either, which means you not only don't need to send your precious knights of on mandatory crusades or jihads, you also can avoid the whole power play aspect of trying to get your guy to be top dog, which needs even more knights.

Additionally, and more importantly, pagans automatically convert provinces. If a Christian/Orthodox/Whatever province comes under pagan rule, the religious freedom will cause everyone to eventually revert to paganism on their own, which bypasses the messy conversion mechanics and leaves you with a lump swapping of beliefs, and suddenly everyone is happy.

How long does this "eventual" conversion take? I've seen chapels poof into Stonehenges while the city was still burning from the siege. And then once they go au naturelle, they get just as ornery about converting back to a monotheistic religion as any standard religious dispute, making a nice buffer (if the AI were ever actually affected by that, which they are not).

Eventually I just got too big to do anything, despite having the income of roughly the entire rest of Europe and northern Africa combined. So I stopped playing, and haven't been greatly inhibited by the loss.

Fights are fun though.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

Warzone2100. Was way ahead of it's time back when it was released in 1999, I don't think any other rts of that time had a fully rotatable 3d battlefield, or at least none that ran as smoothly. It is open sourced nowadays (since 2004 actually):
https://wz2100.net/
This is actually incredibly popular amongst the open source community. Very good game.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Not just multiplayer. The single player campaign is well made, and well worth playing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Huh, I used to be pretty active on their forum. Sadly, it seems pretty dead nowadays.

The game is still great though, I should reinstall it...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2