Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Near Future Street-Level Super (6/6) (OOC Thread)  (Read 6006 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Near Future Street-Level Super (6/6) (OOC Thread)
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 09:09:42 pm »

Looks like the "do want/don't want" thing is going to become my posting schtick.

Also, Ardent, just FYI, I'd originally intended for my anti-power aura to also mean that people using powers from outside the aura can't affect stuff from inside it, in addition to the "you can't use your powers if you're inside the aura" thing.
Reason I'm bringing it up: I was briefly looking at the first post and noticed that the villain who'd been suffocating me was able to pull the cable behind them once they'd run away. Under what I'd thought of, that shouldn't have been able to happen, given that it was still by me.
If we could kinda retcon that in, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want my power to work like that, also ok. Just wanted the info out there.

Ah, OK. That's fine, we'll just recon that the wire was long enough it stretched outside of your radius, and they were able to yank the end of it as they ran. I will however, add the caveat that while your null-field cancels powers within its range, it does nothing to cancel the result of powers. For example, a Pyrokinetic wouldn't be able to incinerate you outright, but a mundane fire they started could spread without issue.
Fair enough. Basically, the idea is that lazer eyes, fireballs, etc. won't be able to poke into my space, but the bubble isn't going to be blocking a truck thrown by the resident Hulk, because the power in that case is being used on something else. Mind you, if someone had the power to make runes and put them on stuff, the runes would likely dissipate if they were too close to me, but in that case it's because the runes are part of the power. The thrown truck is just an application of physics.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »

I uh... I'm fine with the order of things, it's just that I am confused on the fact that you consider my opinion on the result of another player roll for power and their whitelist position.

Could I just have a roll down for myself without manipulating the positions?

If you're in the Waitlist and dislike the result of your Trigger roll, you can choose to gamble and reroll, in which case you'll move to the bottom of the Waitlist. Digital Hellhound decided to reroll, and as they were already at the bottom, they switch places with the next person to Waitlist. You can reroll as many times as you like, but you'll move to the bottom of the Waitlist, moving everyone else closer to the top. I'm sorry if I was unclear, I thought it would be a nifty, and fair way to keep things dynamic along with using www.random.org and a roll table to determine the category of character's powers.

Looks like the "do want/don't want" thing is going to become my posting schtick.

Also, Ardent, just FYI, I'd originally intended for my anti-power aura to also mean that people using powers from outside the aura can't affect stuff from inside it, in addition to the "you can't use your powers if you're inside the aura" thing.
Reason I'm bringing it up: I was briefly looking at the first post and noticed that the villain who'd been suffocating me was able to pull the cable behind them once they'd run away. Under what I'd thought of, that shouldn't have been able to happen, given that it was still by me.
If we could kinda retcon that in, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want my power to work like that, also ok. Just wanted the info out there.

Ah, OK. That's fine, we'll just recon that the wire was long enough it stretched outside of your radius, and they were able to yank the end of it as they ran. I will however, add the caveat that while your null-field cancels powers within its range, it does nothing to cancel the result of powers. For example, a Pyrokinetic wouldn't be able to incinerate you outright, but a mundane fire they started could spread without issue.
Fair enough. Basically, the idea is that lazer eyes, fireballs, etc. won't be able to poke into my space, but the bubble isn't going to be blocking a truck thrown by the resident Hulk, because the power in that case is being used on something else. Mind you, if someone had the power to make runes and put them on stuff, the runes would likely dissipate if they were too close to me, but in that case it's because the runes are part of the power. The thrown truck is just an application of physics.

That's exactly what I meant, I'm glad we're on the same page. As an example of your power not interfering with mundane physics, your field causes Changers to make rolls to delay shifting back to their human form, but causes Breakers to revert instantly, if that makes any sense.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »

I'm not really sure how Changers work as a whole, actually, but ok.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »

I'm not really sure how Changers work as a whole, actually, but ok.

Changers change, Breakers break.

A changer will grow/alter/modify their body such as growing new limbs or shifting into a different form with some side benefits like armor plates or enhanced senses.

Breakers are "I turn into a swirling vortex of energy" or "I seep into the ground and can manipulate it". They don't really change their body so much as their body becomes a power effect.

Examples of changers would my character's ability to insert objects into their body, or Shadowclaw's character being able to transform their limbs into tendrils.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:49:29 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2018, 09:51:23 pm »

Got it. Ok.
Thanks!

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »

Spoiler: Idea (click to show/hide)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 05:58:36 am »

Erh. I don't think I've gotten a chance to get a roll for my trigger, did I already recieve one?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2018, 06:57:13 am »

An interesting concept and working with a militant cult promises plenty of !!!FUN!!! later down the line. I'll add you to the Waitlist, above Digital Hellhound, as per their reroll. If you want to dislike the result and want to reroll yourself, you two will switch places.

Quote from:  Ademar Velibor's Trigger

Ademar Velibor is a Shaker, and their power somehow alters a large area around themself, sacrificing precision for area of effect. Are you fine with that, or would you like to reroll?
You did, BL.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:42 am »

Spoiler: Idea (click to show/hide)

That's a completely valid power, but it is situational to the nth degree, so we'll balance it by having it be incredibly potent whenever it comes up. A drop of blood would make your skin half as tough as leather, but thirty people's worth would make you nigh indestructible.

The fresher the blood is, the stronger the effect, and once it leaves your perception your durability fades exponentially, but returns as soon as the blood re-enters your perception. It's balanced by how easy it is to counter, your obsessive urge to deceive others, and the fact that aside from the enhanced durability, you're no harder to fight or kill than an ordinary human. I'll add your power to your character sheet in the Waitlist.

Erh. I don't think I've gotten a chance to get a roll for my trigger, did I already recieve one?

As Glass pointed out, I rolled earlier. Ademar Velibor is a Shaker, meaning that their power somehow alters or applies to the location around themselves, rather than a specific individual, sacrificing precision for area of effect. If you'd like to reroll, you can forfeit your current spot and switch places with Digital Hellound on the Waitlist.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2018, 11:19:24 am »

Huh. I didn't realize that you used my characters name rather then referencing my username, I apologize.

Could my area of effect ability of a Shaker be the manipulation of light?

That is, in an entire area, I could subject it in broad strokes to complete utter darkness where light is suppressed, or a flashbang-like brightness that blinds people, or any thing in between. The speed at which the power can be "turned on or off" is about as fast as a kid flicking the lightswitch on and off, but when the power is on, he can focus and change the intensity, color or otherwise the properties of the light, taking seconds to do so. The effect of the power when turned on could range from rendering a room entirely pitch black despite any apparent light source, to blindingly bright like looking at the sun.  Whether or not this can go to effecting other portions of the electromagnetic spectrum is not something I'd like to think about.

I am unsure whether or not to ask if the character can see in the darkness or light or would be subject too all the problems that his power entails.

My other ideas were something along the lines of the manipulation of the ambient temperature of the area, changing the "time" of an area to go slower in his presence, local-area weather manipulation.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 07:22:59 pm »

Where you get all your information from the Dark Web :P, have you been playing Welcome to The Gam I and II?, They are great games that reference the Dark Web and great things that humans can do with the given free time. I hope theirs a Dollmaker in this world as well :P 

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »

I believe my reference to The Dark Web is purely coincidental, given that I am not sure what you are referencing too.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 07:56:40 pm »

It’s a reference to the IC page, and a Tinker who had the opportunity to explore it

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2018, 09:03:53 pm »

Aha! This is cool idea. PTW.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »

Huh. I didn't realize that you used my characters name rather then referencing my username, I apologize.

Could my area of effect ability of a Shaker be the manipulation of light?

That is, in an entire area, I could subject it in broad strokes to complete utter darkness where light is suppressed, or a flashbang-like brightness that blinds people, or any thing in between. The speed at which the power can be "turned on or off" is about as fast as a kid flicking the lightswitch on and off, but when the power is on, he can focus and change the intensity, color or otherwise the properties of the light, taking seconds to do so. The effect of the power when turned on could range from rendering a room entirely pitch black despite any apparent light source, to blindingly bright like looking at the sun.  Whether or not this can go to effecting other portions of the electromagnetic spectrum is not something I'd like to think about.

I am unsure whether or not to ask if the character can see in the darkness or light or would be subject too all the problems that his power entails.

My other ideas were something along the lines of the manipulation of the ambient temperature of the area, changing the "time" of an area to go slower in his presence, local-area weather manipulation.

Absolutely, and the other two are as valid, though if you chose to slow the flow of time in relation to yourself, you and an until-now unmentioned NPC super would share the same power, which would be hilarious. I've added your character sheet with the light manipulation you've suggested but if you want to change, feel free to let me know.

Where you get all your information from the Dark Web :P, have you been playing Welcome to The Gam I and II?, They are great games that reference the Dark Web and great things that humans can do with the given free time. I hope theirs a Dollmaker in this world as well :P 

I'm a professional IT IRL, but for the sake of the narrative it's been simplified and dramatized to an extent. I haven't played Welcome to The Game 1 & 2, but I've heard of the series.

Aha! This is cool idea. PTW.

Nice to see the thread's audience grow. If you want to take a spin on the RNG and Waitlist a character, just say the word.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6