Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Near Future Street-Level Super (6/6) (OOC Thread)  (Read 5999 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Near Future Street-Level Super (6/6) (OOC Thread)
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 06:28:54 pm »

Ok. Yeah, that would be a bit confusing to read it like that.
So.

Sam Vimes is the central character of Discworld's Watch books. That is, he's a policeman.
I chose the name "Seth Vimes" as an homage to Sam Vimes, but I did not actually plan on taking up a role similar to his.
Regardless of my original intent, it appears I may be doing so.

Ok?

Ah, I gotcha. That's actually a really neat idea for a character arc.
The idea to do police-type work mostly came about because it was the only thing I could think of that could allow me to simultaneously make use of my powers, help people, make money, and stay relatively inconspicuous.

Honestly, I had a couple ideas as to what my powers would be depending on what I rolled. Not many, but a few.
So that they're out there for others to see:
  • Stranger: I never seem out of place at a location, and I'm easily forgotten about (could likely be done as a Master, as well).
  • Tinker: Break out the Genius: the Transgression ideas and make Metatropi items (think Breakers and Changers, except far more versatile) that usually look like magic.
  • Mover: Flash step. Flash step everywhere.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 06:35:50 pm »

Ok. Yeah, that would be a bit confusing to read it like that.
So.

Sam Vimes is the central character of Discworld's Watch books. That is, he's a policeman.
I chose the name "Seth Vimes" as an homage to Sam Vimes, but I did not actually plan on taking up a role similar to his.
Regardless of my original intent, it appears I may be doing so.

Ok?

Ah, I gotcha. That's actually a really neat idea for a character arc.
The idea to do police-type work mostly came about because it was the only thing I could think of that could allow me to simultaneously make use of my powers, help people, make money, and stay relatively inconspicuous.

Honestly, I had a couple ideas as to what my powers would be depending on what I rolled. Not many, but a few.
So that they're out there for others to see:
  • Stranger: I never seem out of place at a location, and I'm easily forgotten about (could likely be done as a Master, as well).
  • Tinker: Break out the Genius: the Transgression ideas and make Metatropi items (think Breakers and Changers, except far more versatile) that usually look like magic.
  • Mover: Flash step. Flash step everywhere.

All very good ideas. Given that your power is effectively cancelling other super's powers and you'll be training and preparing to fight without the help of powers, I imagine you'd be at a distinct advantage over a de-powered super in a street fight.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 09:48:24 pm »

Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2018, 08:21:25 am »

I'm sure most of you are wondering how we're going to keep a coherent timeline between the supers and resolve combat and conversations without taking days at a time. I've spent some time thinking on it and have come to the conclusion Mini-Updates are the answer. In-between full updates with each of the six, we'll resolve any role-play heavy situations with bite-sized updates with each of the characters involved until it's solved, and then we'll time-skip and finagle around as necessary to keep every super's timeframe in-line. If anyone has any questions to ask, I've got plenty of answers to give.

Spoiler: ? (click to show/hide)

An amnesiac with a dangerous, most likely super-related past? There's plenty of plot-fodder there, so Ill I'll add you to the Waitlist but I'm going to need a name beyond "Oh shit" to write the updates when if one of the current PC's meets a terrible end.

Quote from:  Amnesiac's Trigger

You must've had a very interesting past...

Quote from:  Amnesiac's Trigger
1, 4, 8

Your power has a Mover aspect, meaning it helps you get from A to B in record time, it has a Breaker aspect, implying you shift into another form to use your powers, and it has a Thinker aspect, suggesting your power somehow enhances your mind. Fascinating. Could you give me some more detail on that?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2018, 09:04:30 am »

Neato.

Drive It Like You Stole It: John Smith(current alias) has the ability to merge with vehicles, including Tinker-made ones. While merged, John's body is the vehicle. Over time, he can reshape the vehicle(his body) to his wishes, though he can't conjure mass from nothing in order to do this. Integrated machine guns? No problem. Drop caltrops behind it? No problem. Self-destruct? No problem. When he undoes the merge, the vehicle maintains those modifications. John Smith's Thinker aspect is comprehension, when merged with a vehicle, he understands everything about it and can easily make changes he desires even if he would otherwise have no idea how to do so(the power adds the information to his brain). This understanding even extends to Tinker technology integrated with the vehicle.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 09:30:28 am »

I've always wanted to try the Worm system out with its random power generation. Waitlist!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »

Neato.

Drive It Like You Stole It: John Smith(current alias) has the ability to merge with vehicles, including Tinker-made ones. While merged, John's body is the vehicle. Over time, he can reshape the vehicle(his body) to his wishes, though he can't conjure mass from nothing in order to do this. Integrated machine guns? No problem. Drop caltrops behind it? No problem. Self-destruct? No problem. When he undoes the merge, the vehicle maintains those modifications. John Smith's Thinker aspect is comprehension, when merged with a vehicle, he understands everything about it and can easily make changes he desires even if he would otherwise have no idea how to do so(the power adds the information to his brain). This understanding even extends to Tinker technology integrated with the vehicle.

The power to go digital, merge with vehicles, modify vehicles while you're inside them, and instinctively understand the technology in the vehicle? That's a very interesting interpretation of your powerset so I'll put you on the Waitlist beneath Hiddenleafguy. If he doesn't come up with a power by the time an IC slot frees you'll go ahead, otherwise you'll be the next in line.

I've always wanted to try the Worm system out with its random power generation. Waitlist!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anne Rowe is a very nice name, and the idea of a military discharge that couldn't live up to their parent's expectations is a great character concept. I'll  put you on the Waitlist beneath FallacyofUrist. Now then, for the fun part...

Quote from:  Anne Rowe's Trigger

Anne Rowe is a Striker, and their superpower is incredibly dangerous but limited to a melee or touch-range. The fact that their power has point-blank range is extremely ironic, considering they were in the Air Force. Are you content with that, or do you want to reroll and have the next waitlister take your spot?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 02:19:58 pm »

Eesh... Striker’s one of the options I couldn’t think of an appropriate power or trigger event for. Sure, let’s reroll and see how it goes.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 02:30:25 pm »

Eesh... Striker’s one of the options I couldn’t think of an appropriate power or trigger event for. Sure, let’s reroll and see how it goes.

Alright then. Now, let's see...

Lucky you, your power has two aspects...

9, 7

One Striker aspect, focused around melee, and one Blaster aspect, focused around range. This essentially means that you have both a strong melee and a strong ranged superpower, which gives you an incredible amount of versatility. It's so weird how the RNG turns stuff like this out sometimes. Do you like it as it is, or do you want to shift down another spot for a reroll?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 02:58:20 pm »

Heh, I was hoping for more indirect and esoteric powers, but I can roll with being a lean mean killing machine. Hmm...

Air missiles; I can fire hard-hitting guided missiles of pressurized air at targets, either at melee range or over long distances. Though possessed of considerable concussive force, the missiles struggle to penetrate armor or destroy obstacles. They're best used to stun and daze, or to throw targets to the ground and propel them into walls for an additional impact. Melee-ranged attacks are considerably stronger, but ranged missiles can be guided/arced to a limited degree.

I'd say they're invisible, but I figure that'd probably demand a Stranger aspect. I figure Anne triggered at her tribunal when she was told she'd be discharged; the desire to lash out and vent her anger at the gathered officers manifested in a power to do just that, drawing its specific form from her anguish at losing her chance to be up in the skies (air) and out of the weaponry of the planes she flew (missiles).

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »

Heh, I was hoping for more indirect and esoteric powers, but I can roll with being a lean mean killing machine. Hmm...

Air missiles; I can fire hard-hitting guided missiles of pressurized air at targets, either at melee range or over long distances. Though possessed of considerable concussive force, the missiles struggle to penetrate armor or destroy obstacles. They're best used to stun and daze, or to throw targets to the ground and propel them into walls for an additional impact. Melee-ranged attacks are considerably stronger, but ranged missiles can be guided/arced to a limited degree.

I'd say they're invisible, but I figure that'd probably demand a Stranger aspect. I figure Anne triggered at her tribunal when she was told she'd be discharged; the desire to lash out and vent her anger at the gathered officers manifested in a power to do just that, drawing its specific form from her anguish at losing her chance to be up in the skies (air) and out of the weaponry of the planes she flew (missiles).

Nice, fits the character like a glove. I'll add your sheet to the Waitlist as soon as I've finished actually writing the Waitlist.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:13 pm »

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:18:13 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 02:27:05 pm »

Looks like the "do want/don't want" thing is going to become my posting schtick.

Also, Ardent, just FYI, I'd originally intended for my anti-power aura to also mean that people using powers from outside the aura can't affect stuff from inside it, in addition to the "you can't use your powers if you're inside the aura" thing.
Reason I'm bringing it up: I was briefly looking at the first post and noticed that the villain who'd been suffocating me was able to pull the cable behind them once they'd run away. Under what I'd thought of, that shouldn't have been able to happen, given that it was still by me.
If we could kinda retcon that in, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want my power to work like that, also ok. Just wanted the info out there.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:10 pm »

An interesting concept and working with a militant cult promises plenty of !!!FUN!!! later down the line. I'll add you to the Waitlist, above Digital Hellhound, as per their reroll. If you want to dislike the result and want to reroll yourself, you two will switch places.

Quote from:  Ademar Velibor's Trigger

Ademar Velibor is a Shaker, and their power somehow alters a large area around themself, sacrificing precision for area of effect. Are you fine with that, or would you like to reroll?

Looks like the "do want/don't want" thing is going to become my posting schtick.

Also, Ardent, just FYI, I'd originally intended for my anti-power aura to also mean that people using powers from outside the aura can't affect stuff from inside it, in addition to the "you can't use your powers if you're inside the aura" thing.
Reason I'm bringing it up: I was briefly looking at the first post and noticed that the villain who'd been suffocating me was able to pull the cable behind them once they'd run away. Under what I'd thought of, that shouldn't have been able to happen, given that it was still by me.
If we could kinda retcon that in, I'd appreciate it. If you don't want my power to work like that, also ok. Just wanted the info out there.

Ah, OK. That's fine, we'll just recon that the wire was long enough it stretched outside of your radius, and they were able to yank the end of it as they ran. I will however, add the caveat that while your null-field cancels powers within its range, it does nothing to cancel the result of powers. For example, a Pyrokinetic wouldn't be able to incinerate you outright, but a mundane fire they started could spread without issue.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 09:00:39 pm »

I uh... I'm fine with the order of things, it's just that I am confused on the fact that you consider my opinion on the result of another player roll for power and their whitelist position.

Could I just have a roll down for myself without manipulating the positions?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6