Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Power & Pulse: A good day to plan victory  (Read 25940 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: Preparing for Scenario 2
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2018, 02:15:43 am »

Oh, so I'm not allowed to make attempts at improving my mana so I have more than three turns before downtime/push? Well that's just great.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2018, 03:59:43 am »

It would be utterly ridiculous if you could improve your mana limit with only two XP.  That'd mean 10 XP, equivalent to one mech kill or one promotion, could also upgrade you to 8 mana, basically invalidating the mechanic.  Would you like the mechs to be able to go from 100 Arcane to 270 Arcane?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2018, 06:08:05 am »

Honestly I would not mind that. It would level the playing field a bit by making Mechs last longer before the battle of attrition sets in. Overpowering them with direct force would still be an option.
The only thing that would need to change is mage survivability, which Egan intends to adjust anyway.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:57 am »

Mechs have better armor and while magic might be strong, the mages will still be outgunned by the mech weapons. Maybe if the mage team was larger that the mech team, it would be more fair for them.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:16 am »

To be fair, I think this last match should be thrown out of analysis. The mage team had the deck stacked against us via starting conditions, with it overall being a worst-case scenario for us. An extreme like that isnt useful for evaluating balance unless it is a recurring event.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:27 pm »

Attempt to requisition new gear more fitting my new situation and ability set. If reasonably possible I'd like to sit on 10xp for use mid-mission if applicable.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2018, 03:14:12 am »

To be fair, I think this last match should be thrown out of analysis. The mage team had the deck stacked against us via starting conditions, with it overall being a worst-case scenario for us. An extreme like that isnt useful for evaluating balance unless it is a recurring event.

And hey, even with the deck stacked against the mages you guys still almost won, or at the very least would have given the mechs a bloody nose in return.

Mechs have better armor and while magic might be strong, the mages will still be outgunned by the mech weapons. Maybe if the mage team was larger that the mech team, it would be more fair for them.

What is the system for deciding which mage players get to go on the next mission, by the way?  Does the current roster stay until one bites the dust, or will the active team be chosen from the pool of available characters (assuming the next mission doesn't get extra mages)?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2018, 07:16:12 am »

@RC: we had our single full-offense build character get off a single attack, which did neither cause injury to any pilots nor acquire a mobility kill on any mechs. Said mage was nearly killed by return fire, and was effectively removed from the fight entirely.
That is the only attack any of us got off. That's not even a bloody nose. Tanya alone has suffered an order of power more lasting damage than your entire team combined, ignoring on-ship self-inflicted suicide. And if we had tried to fight it out despite the horrible start im fairly certain wed have lost at least one more mage on our mana-regen turn, with no gains made, followed by a TPK shortly after when you had only one target and a fireing line to work with.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2018, 07:59:01 am »

Hmm, I don't think that is an accurate assessment of the damage we had endured (also from a single attack, I might add), but that's neither here nor there. Either way, we'll find out soon enough (well, 'soon') if the balance needs tweaking or not.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Power & Pulse: Really kinda need another player here
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »

So, I haven't read anything except the first post. That said, have a mech:
Edit: Here's a more compact sheet, for your convenience:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:23:53 pm by Parisbre56 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:49:10 am by TricMagic »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »

You are aware of the forth wall? Okay. You don't exist though.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2018, 05:52:03 am »

Hey there new meat! Exemplary enthusiasm, but if you want to get an actual shot at getting shot at by the superior faction mech faction, you might want to redo your charsheet a bit.

Now, the idea of a character thinking the world he lives in isn't real and that he's being observed by some otherworldly entity, and so decides to put on a show, is probably salvageable (just another brand of insanity). But as for your actual charsheet, you might want to tone down the overly meta vibe and write up an actual character personality, for example. Similarly, you'll want to rephrase your traits so it's clear what they're supposed to do in-game, or at least add a description so the gm has something to work with.

Oh, and if you do rework your charsheet, might not be a bad idea to put it inside a spoiler, the game's more fun if you don't know what to expect imo.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2018, 08:26:19 am »

(Myself)That's half the fun though.. I'm kinda out of creative juice, so I figured, a zany character would be fun. Back to In-game-

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:08 pm »

but but but he is perfect
how do you know that this is the best kind of dude
how
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13