Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218909 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1545 on: June 14, 2021, 03:54:15 pm »

Yeah, the concept of a "main CPU" is just a high-level abstraction. One that I've completely forgotten about, it seems. I've had musings about this, where I basically thought, "There's no actual main CPU, it's just a matter of which set of co-processors asserted dominance over the mind first". It's, uh, "heterogeneous asymmetric multiprocessing".

Thus, I think it's possible to multitask, as long as those tasks don't take up the same IO resources. Now, to find even two non-conflicting tasks, that's hard.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 14, 2021, 07:05:34 pm »

80% is a pretty good ratio of processing speed, especially if irrational thoughts and outcomes exist only as edge cases to normal practical thought

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 14, 2021, 07:53:06 pm »

I hope so too, I'm supposed to meet my parents+brother&family this weekend to celebrate my mum's birthday.

Still not feeling anything in particular, not even soreness in the arm muscle... Yet.

I made myself think

Or nor
One none
Either neither
Ever never

So
Even Neven

Yes? No? Yes?
Would you eat a horse?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 14, 2021, 08:06:36 pm »

80% is a pretty good ratio of processing speed, especially if irrational thoughts and outcomes exist only as edge cases to normal practical thought

Not when that 80% is of rated processing speed. My brain wants to target 200% of rated (i.e. safe) speed, but that's not safe or sane, so I have to moderate it in the range of 80% - 100% with meds. The meds drop it to around 30% at worst.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 15, 2021, 05:57:09 am »

I hope so too, I'm supposed to meet my parents+brother&family this weekend to celebrate my mum's birthday.

Still not feeling anything in particular, not even soreness in the arm muscle... Yet.

I made myself think

Or nor
One none
Either neither
Ever never

So
Even Neven

Yes? No? Yes?
Would you eat a horse?

I'd neven be able to eat a single leg before I'd burst probably
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 16, 2021, 01:06:07 am »

I made myself think

Or nor
One none
Either neither
Ever never

So
Even Neven

Yes? No? Yes?
Would you eat a horse?

I'd neven be able to eat a single leg before I'd burst probably
Nobody said you had to eat the whole thing in one sitting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 16, 2021, 01:35:52 am »

There are two communication modes I use by speed. Realtime and non-realtime.

In realtime mode, I optimize my words just enough that I'm comprehensible, but generally I don't fit much info per post because of time constraints. The goal is to say stuff within the time constraint that's detected. This can be anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. It's generally quite stressful. All messaging apps need this to be enabled, usually in large and active groups. Not always, though.

In non-realtime mode, I have the freedom to optimize and tweak my words so that I get across as much info as possible in the smallest space reasonably possible. I have a long list of optimization passes that I'm using right now. The goal is to communicate. No time limit, just say your piece. The detected time constraint for this mode is somewhere around 15 minutes to infinity. Very relaxing. Especially now, since I'm just saying shit. Smaller forums tend to be like this. Very slow-moving groups in messaging apps also tend to enable this mode.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1552 on: June 16, 2021, 05:44:38 pm »

Are mafia families practicing feudalism? I’ve been thinking about this for a while. They both have these strict hierachies, factions constantly trying to overtheow each other, and taxation of civilians on their territory for ”protection”. Have I come up with an theory that already exists or am I misunderstanding how feudalism/the mafia/both work(s), in a cliché way?

Have I mentioned this before? I’m getting crazy deja vu.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 17, 2021, 12:48:56 pm »

Almost every piece of land in the world is claimed by some government that to various degrees protects the territory and the people in it and extracts taxes from the people who reside or do work in that territory, and most governments have hierarchies, and many mafias don't have competing mafias that they struggle with.
So I'd say its not enough to call them feudalistic, otherwise everything would be feudalism
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 17, 2021, 11:07:59 pm »

I think it fits.  Feudalism is more than just the act of claiming land (which voliol barely mentioned).  It's about, AFAIK, an ordered hierarchy of people in a tiered compact of protection.  Every noble, even unlanded, swears fealty to a liege.  Who probably swears fealty to someone else, up to - and this is important - a single top leader.  That top leader notionally has absolute power, but more importantly represents the entire organization in both a metaphorical and diplomatic sense.  And in fact, that leader has a council of trusted advisors, including but not limited to the most powerful vassals (who might expect to be listened to, with the implication of upheaval if the leader acts too unilaterally).

I'd say most of this is a result of the mafia aping the traditions and form of feudalism.  The most notable difference would be that feudalism as we think of it was intertwined with Christianity.  One's liege wasn't *just* a strongman - there was divine right.  In practical terms, that meant that if you killed him he tragically died, everyone would support his successor as chosen by traditional laws.  Maybe that applies to the Italian mafia too, I'm not really sure.  I mean, I assume they were pretty Catholic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 18, 2021, 04:41:21 am »

The notion of an absolute monarch is mostly post-feudal (or at least skewing towards the very end of feudalism -- most absolute monarchies achieved that level of power by playing the nobility and the bourgeois upper classes against each other). For the biggest part of the era feudalism kings were very much bound by laws they had very little ability to change or reform themselves.
Love, scriver~

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 18, 2021, 05:17:56 am »

Absolute monarchy is what happens when a feudal monarch gets rid of various minor nobles controlling the court, or, the nobles were never strong in the first place (some Asian and African traditional monarchies).
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 23, 2021, 08:41:18 am »

Sophocles is one of the best people to misquote, because they were actually alive in 420 BCE. Stick that in your quote and blaze it, yo'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 30, 2021, 04:57:48 am »

I think the reason why I can only play myself (or one with my exact personality) in any given interactive media is because I lack virtualization ability.

I can empathize with another person-- by literally running what I predict they experience through my mind. It's "virtualization" by way of chroot/Docker, basically. The person I'm trying to empathize with needs to be similar enough to me, otherwise I stop being able to construct a suitable environment to simulate them. I try to empathize with as large a range of people as possible, but even then I have limits. No dedicated virtualization capabilities needed. I trust that whatever's in there isn't malicious, which is probably a safe assumption to make, considering I made it.

But I cannot, say, maintain the idea that I play a different person from who I am. Not possible. I can't simulate entire separate personalities because I'd run out of resources. Memory, CPU, I/O, it's probably all 3. It's dead slow. I simply can't do it on any practical scale. You ask me to play as this evil motherfucker who supports Cesar's Legion in Fallout: New Vegas, I'd find myself supporting literally anyone else. I am who I am: me, and all of my characters are self-inserts to the fullest possible extent.

On one hand, it makes me genuine (since I literally can't express a personality that isn't this one, only suppress parts of it), but it also means that I can't do creative writing. I'd keep making multiple self-inserts by accident, so it'd just be a "Me, myself and I" situation, just many mes interacting with each other. I'll stick to writing technical manuals of my discoveries instead.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 11, 2021, 02:02:01 pm »

The book "A Room of One's Own" in acronym form is "AROO".

Appropriate for V. Woolf
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 180