Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 182

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 270261 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1575 on: July 21, 2021, 04:06:11 am »

I think you are asking yourself how.  Knowing it is neither polite nor advised to comment on this process I'll cover my arse by quoting ma' mate Freddy:

"There is, strictly speaking, neither unselfish conduct, nor a wholly disinterested point of view. Both are simply sublimations in which the basic element seems almost evaporated and betrays its presence only to the keenest observation. All that we need and that could possibly be given us in the present state of development of the sciences, is a chemistry of the moral, religious, aesthetic conceptions and feeling, as well as of those emotions which we experience in the affairs, great and small, of society and civilization, and which we are sensible of even in solitude. But what if this chemistry established the fact that, even in its domain, the most magnificent results were attained with the basest and most despised ingredients? Would many feel disposed to continue such investigations? Mankind loves to put by the questions of its origin and beginning: must one not be almost inhuman in order to follow the opposite course?"

His protégé Ziggy had something more base to say about the whole 'affair'.  Going beyond despair du Franconisation crass leads to this image, not that deep at all... The Chasm of the Colorado.  At the risk of being misunderstood - not to be taken too literally or literarily - take up painting.  All this for laughs...  :P

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 21, 2021, 06:46:25 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:12:26 am by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 21, 2021, 08:18:44 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:12:34 am by dragdeler »
let

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 22, 2021, 07:43:50 am »

Yeah, I know what you're saying ( :P) but how can you say that the Freddy + Ziggy is not the best eva?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDh_gHDvkk
(Even more touching as it documents their enduring friendship.)

The retake by Ziggy and the wrangling L.Annie is also a brilliant moment besides some noted jankiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLS-P9m0BM

Okay in terms of the coversation I'm having a laugh, but wanking aside there is something of value here.  (Glad to have provided some stimulation, that was indeed the intention...)

Coming down from Lady Gaga land for a moment only to get up on my high horse people don't listen; they don't know how to listen.  Nor do they know how to talk.  Instead they bond through platitudes - squeaking like wheels only know how.  So don't ramble, sloganise.  Compress, drop, move on.  Let being heard become an unexpected joy.  And listen to the 'best eva' (whatever your objective definition) rather than the cacaphony of traffic or the barking of dogs (one of my local bugbears).

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 22, 2021, 08:58:55 am »

Communication is like compilation. You take raw brain thoughts, and you select a toolchain that targets the specific context, subcontext (optional), and method of communication that is appropriate. Then, you go ahead and compile them to that 'target triplet', that 'platform'. Under this hypothetical system, I've selected the bay12-random_thoughts-text toolchain.

I have many toolchains that I switch between. There's bay12-text, discord_[REDACTED]-voice, real_life-unfamiliar-voice...

The purpose of doing this is because each context, subcontext, and method of communication describes a different set of features that are enabled.

It would be ridiculous to say "poggers" within its native context on Bay12, but it's entirely fine in [REDACTED]. In real life, you talk to people you're familiar with differently from those you're not. In-jokes are a feature that are present with those you know. You cannot express tone well in text, so you need to indicate tone with punctuation, formatting (if available), and tone indicators (if/as acceptable).

Each thing you change can drastically affect the generated output because each feature that's present or absent needs you to change what's being said in order to communicate effectively. The objective, in my eyes, is to compile sentences with as little loss to the raw brain thoughts as possible so that you're communicating effectively, while still complying with the feature-set as to fit in. This is a balancing act.

I don't think any person can correctly claim to be good, let alone perfect at this. I operate on guesses. You operate on guesses. We all operate on guesses. Sometimes we make mistakes because they were wrong, and that is entirely fine. Embrace the errors we make. After all, to err is human.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 22, 2021, 11:53:13 am »

This is a very interesting way of thinking about this

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 22, 2021, 06:10:48 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:12:57 am by dragdeler »
let

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 23, 2021, 12:39:28 am »

tl;dr

(In meth's dubious terms, the binary was too big for its function: precludes looking into the backend to see if the code was well structured and commented.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 23, 2021, 04:29:33 am »

Does the advent of quantum computers mean the advent of quantum programming?
Code: [Select]
bool KINDA

if (X ≈≈ Y)
   return MAYBE

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 23, 2021, 11:40:04 am »

Does the advent of quantum computers mean the advent of quantum programming?

Yes and no.  You just have to collapse the wave function in the correct way to find out which it is.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 25, 2021, 09:29:20 pm »

Worst part of white hair coming in, is when you see it out of the corner of your eye and you can't tell if it's the white hair or something in your hair. You'll be sitting there batting at your hair like a fool trying to get your hair out of your hair :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 25, 2021, 11:28:44 pm »

I'm excited for white hair, especially salt and pepper eyebrows. I think it will add something to my otherwise plain appearance.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 26, 2021, 02:23:01 am »

I used to have a single, solitary, white beard hair. I called him Gandalf.

...Gandalf now has several cousins

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 26, 2021, 02:43:32 am »

I encountered this one person in a Pokemon Go group who had fully elderly-white hair, cut in a way that confused me.  I honestly couldn't tell whether they were appearing younger or older, maybe because I was being careful not to stare and admire them.

They must have been young, I guess, because I would have heard the age in their voice.  But they reminded me so much of amazing older people I've known who carried a certain energy into their retirement.  Particularly in social circles.  What a thing to emulate!

And I'm sure I could have clocked their age by looking closely at their face, but again, I was much too impressed to do such a thing.  Heh, if I recall correctly, I instead flirted aimlessly with a cute guy and then let him live in my mind rent free for much of the pandemic.
*first two months anyway.  yeah the timing was bad
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 29, 2021, 09:20:15 am »

H.264 is the MP3 of video codecs. Ubiquitous and compatible with just about everything, yet not necessarily the most efficient codec.

I bet you, in 2035, long after the patents expire, people will still be using H.264 in one way or another because it's just the "standard". People will still be maintaining x264 to gain even more compression efficiency out of a by-then ancient codec.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 182