Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 182

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 260180 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #885 on: June 10, 2020, 06:36:48 am »

Okay, so they aren't going to nuke anyone. Doesn't change the fact that their government is dozens of times worse than Russia. Their human rights violations combined with aggression towards America are, IMHO, enough to justify an open war.

I feel there's been  something of a misunderstanding here. I'm don't think anyone has been comparing Iran to Russia. I believe they were comparing it to Saudi Arabia. Which is, like, equally bad or worse than Iran in every aspect, and is the cause of lots violence and conflict all over the region and the world, and gets away with lots of more bad behaviour than Iran because of their alliance with the USA.
Yeah, the Saudis are also godawful. The reason thay're able to get away with it is because they bribe America with oil.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 10, 2020, 06:37:42 am »

Wait, israel is technically not a nato state?! wtf they participate in so many european programms even the fucking eurovision song contest.

oh must be because of the nukes, duh, still worrisome

I'm not surprised they're not a NATO state actually.

https://ips-dc.org/why_the_us_supports_israel/
None come close to offering the level of diplomatic support provided by Washington–with the United States often standing alone with Israel at the United Nations and other international forums when objections are raised over ongoing Israeli violations of international law and related concerns.

There have been that many UN resolutions against Israel where the lone supporter of Israel was the USA (other nations including the rest of NATO being on the other side of the vote), with the USA often preventing the resolution through their permanent veto. Since the rest of NATO has generally voted to sanction Israel for being in continual breach of international law, it would be unlikely for them to seek or obtain NATO membership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel

It's actually not the nukes, it's the occupation of Palestine and the other occupied territories that they never settled over, Golan Heights for example. Other nations take land-stealing very seriously, since it sets a bad precedent. For example Bush Senior invaded Iraq the first time over their occupation of Kuwait, but the USA also protects Israel from international legal fallout from their occupation of various areas they invaded.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestine-un-vote/u-s-vetoes-u-n-resolution-denouncing-violence-against-palestinians-idUSKCN1IX5UW

In this one, 2018, the UN security council voted against Israel, the vote passed, then the US vetoed the motion. They then put up their own pro-Israel item to vote for, and nobody else voted for it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:51:15 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:55 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:25:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 10, 2020, 08:21:06 am »

Islam, by itself, is not a bad or violent religion and I know plenty of Muslims who are pretty decent people. And even their nations aren't all bad. See: Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 10, 2020, 01:42:49 pm »

The 3 abrahamistic religions are completly discredited, they claim to pray to the same god yet everybody has their own name for him. Fuck all of them.

Kind of an odd reason to claim them as discredited, considering Judaism alone has a bunch of names, and Islam's "Allah" just means "the god".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:48:47 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 10, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »

For all anyone knows they might all end up in the same afterlife with a Supreme Deity of some description somewhat annoyed at them all for declaring each other false religions because they called Him by different names.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 10, 2020, 02:38:17 pm »

The 3 abrahamistic religions are completly discredited, they claim to pray to the same god yet everybody has their own name for him. Fuck all of them.

Kind of an odd reason to claim them as discredited, considering Judaism alone has a bunch of names, and Islam's "Allah" just means "the god".

Christianity's "God" also just means "the god"
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 10, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »

Nohweh!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 10, 2020, 02:50:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:25:40 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 11, 2020, 12:47:09 am »

I think christians/we say God for the exact same theological originating reasons as the muslims say Allah. Iirc it's something like the taboo of saying his name because you're not supposed to take his name in vain? I believe Jews have something similar (that is the obvious source of the other two if it lines up chronologically) but I don't know if Jehova is what they're allowed to call him or what is banned. Iirc this is one of the reasons there are several names of God in the bible?

Oh and yes I will never keep on not insisting that God and Allah are the name of the God by now in their respective languages despite just meaning "the god". Can't make something identifious with someone like that and not be a name. Names are what you refer to things by. The ur-meme.
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 11, 2020, 10:39:02 pm »

I think El or Elohim is supposed to be the true name of God in Abrahamic faiths, but again, I think it just means "the god" in Hebrew.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 12, 2020, 04:58:52 am »

It is the weh
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:24 am »

The minimum system requirements for Windows 10 should include an SSD, at least 120 GB, as the boot drive. Every time someone hands me their slow PC, it's always the same story: a slow boot drive bottlenecking the whole system. I could say "replace the HDD with an SSD" every time someone came to me with a slow computer, and that would be the best solution at least 80% of the time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 17, 2020, 08:49:37 am »

Well I got a new (very cheap) laptop and it felt super-slow to use, so I did the thing (right-Click on This PC, then go: Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Settings > Adjust for Best Performance) and it went from downright awful to use to feeling pretty snappy. So that's a no brainer if someone comes to you with a slow PC (it's not like the older version of Windows where "best performance" is a deal-breaker because it look like Windows 95). Turn off the animated transitions and Windows 10 will feel subjectively faster. Note this is less of a noticeable change on better CPUs.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 182