Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crashes are very frustrating  (Read 3338 times)

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crashes are very frustrating
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:09:46 pm »

It would be nice if there was an autosave or some way to not lose hours and hours of play.

I guess I just need to remember to quit out every 60 min or so minimum.

Just loading back up and seeing all the stuff that is no longer accomplished..

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Crashes are very frustrating
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »

It's been possible to configure seasonal autosave since the first 3D release (0.27.169.32a, released over 10 years ago) - is that not enough for your purposes?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »

It's been possible to configure seasonal autosave since the first 3D release (0.27.169.32a, released over 10 years ago) - is that not enough for your purposes?
That would kind of depend on FPS. Sounds like he hasn't heard of it, though.

Often, I find myself wanting a monthly save.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:05:55 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:11:23 pm »

Nope, didn't know there was an autosave at all.  Guess I should also link this in the facepalm thread.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:13:52 am »

If you're using DFhack, it does multiply the amount of crashes. I crash every 10 minutes with DFhack but once every few hours when vanilla.

Saving after critical events like migrants, artifacts or sieges is super important though.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 07:19:45 am »

If you're using DFhack, it does multiply the amount of crashes. I crash every 10 minutes with DFhack but once every few hours when vanilla.

If you're seeing frequent crashes with DFHack, why haven't you reported them? Crashes are NEVER supposed to happen - if you're seeing them, then that means there's a bug that needs to be fixed, and bugs won't get fixed unless you report them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 08:17:04 am »

Yeah, seasonal autosaves can be turned on in the d_init file, right at the top.
In your DF folder, it's under data/init.

I haven't had a crash in DF outside of world gen in quite a long time. What system are you running on?
Also report your DFhack bugs or quietust will hex edit you right out of existence.

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:39:56 am »

I'm getting maybe 1 crash every 5-8 hours of playtime, and it's tough to understand exactly why and when.  For instance my last crash was right after I found the magma sea, I closed out the pop ups then when I went 1 level up DF just crashed and closed.  I'm on windows 10.  I have no idea if this was a DFhack crash or not.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:17:24 am »

I pretty much never get a crash that I don't deserve because of other things (the other day it was leaving Audicity recording some audio in the background and filling up the disc without realising, stopping several other programs from doing their own/the OS's memory-to-disc stuff) and I happily run DF on a nice low-powered machine without much in the way resources and long enforced waiting for load-up/save-out/seasonal-turnover is part of my "get out of the seat" strategy (after making notes about what I was just about to do when the season save kicked in) as well as a handy fallback.

Not only FPS, but also pause-play for micromanagement could be stopping a seasonal save from kicking in in time to lose only a little work. It's still only one season (perhaps one migrant wave, maybe one trading operation, and other incomers both friendly and unfriendly) but mass-designating the digging around the caverns, setting up a complex burrow to encourage a new industrial area to be dug out first, all the little micromanagements that made your season take an hour or two in real time, though they go much quicker a second time, sometimes you want to recover from the RSI from tap-tap-cursoring, etc

But finding the setting to enable that and then resolving why you-broke-DF/DF-broke-itself is something I should say that you OP should resolve first. The hidden depths make it susceptible to edge-conditions in logic, and some may still need whittling away.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:05:06 am »

If you're seeing frequent crashes with DFHack, why haven't you reported them? Crashes are NEVER supposed to happen - if you're seeing them, then that means there's a bug that needs to be fixed, and bugs won't get fixed unless you report them.
Quietust, since you are significantly less foolish than us all, can you comment on the "DF dies when pressing v" that was reported on github(issue #1057)?
I was somewhat frustrated with it. I also notice that it only seems to affect young fortresses, I haven't had it happen to me after the second year of any fortress.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:21:10 am »

I'm getting maybe 1 crash every 5-8 hours of playtime, and it's tough to understand exactly why and when.  For instance my last crash was right after I found the magma sea, I closed out the pop ups then when I went 1 level up DF just crashed and closed.  I'm on windows 10.  I have no idea if this was a DFhack crash or not.
Hmm, I'm playing on windows 10 as well.  But then again, it's not too often I bother digging down to magma, so it's possible I'm just not encountering the right situation for the crashes you're seeing. But I'd think enabling seasonal saves would save you a good deal of work at least.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »

I've had a lot of success disabling and then re-enabling TWBT to get rid of the V crash.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »

I'm getting maybe 1 crash every 5-8 hours of playtime, and it's tough to understand exactly why and when.  For instance my last crash was right after I found the magma sea, I closed out the pop ups then when I went 1 level up DF just crashed and closed.

Are you using TWBT? (Note that some starter packs enable it by default.) If so, try disabling it and see if the "cursor movement" and "view-key" crashes stop.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:12:02 pm »

doesn't seems to be the only cause, since I don't use graphics  and disable mouse in the init, unless it runs by default for some reason beyond me.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 12:12:48 pm »

Spoiler: Off-topic (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2