Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Ägashfamthut, "Bandithorses," Where we steal everything and die to caves  (Read 63362 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Hun;
3:Glass roof? Why glass? Rabbits can't cave adapt, can they? Glass would be completely unnecessary.
4:Build an atom smasher several channels down, then set them to dump the corpses to the atom smasher. Refuse problem solved.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another guy felt into depression.

We still have some unhappy dwarves, but DerpyDev is slowly recovering good mood. We already installed few cages into her bedroom, and soon will put more!

Congratulations to our new mother, Lunardog15! We gonna drink all night today in honour of her and her daughter Nish.

Melting metal items takes ETERNITY. We are not gonna finish anytime soon at that pace. I ordered few peasants and other non-professionals to take melting jobs. We badly need equipment, and for that we badly need more metals!

We have finished a new outpost at level -98.

It features an additional corridor, the emergency brigde and squad "Marauding Spearmins" training there and ready to save us from all kinds of cave monsters. Or to buy some time for us to raise the bridge at least, hehe.

That's... rather disgusting. People of Bandithorses, why the hell would you do that?!

Summer time. A human diplomat came, and soon after, the merchants have shown up.
Trading went pretty well, we bought some metal bars and a great deal of metal objects (armor, weapons and crafts) for melting. Total trade value exceed 35k. We also bought one rabbit! Hopefully, we can start breeding them again.

Another artifact, a wooden figurine this time.

Twice I was sending "Guys with big sticks" to recover an artifact from distant kobold cave, but something mysterious was going on. They tell me nothing specific in their reports, nobody got hurt, no items brought... Are they kidding me and just became lazy?

Oookay, let's just butcher some elves then. This I know you like for sure.

But timing was pretty bad. Just when I sent two squads out, the forgotten beast came:

Although she was not showing the interest to rush into the fortress and soon went somewhere outside of our sight. But we need to keep in mind its presence! I decided to put a couple of dogs on chains near the cave outpost, so I would not miss the invasion.

Our 2 squads came back and it was a mess. Instead of butchering elves, our 4 dwarves were butchered by grizzly bears, including Pickachu17. What a shame!

I guess we can't afford open attacks to even seemingly negligible elven forest retreats. I shall not try in the nearest future.

The forgotten beast continues to worry me. King Zultan has thrown a bolt in the monster when saw him somewhere in the dark, but she is still not trying to attack.
It also impossible to reach the monster with our full military forces, since the thing wanders in the waters.

As I ordered, some improvements of our baroness' room have been done. We installed few cages of different metals (it is a pity I haven't convinced the jeweller to encrust them) and pedestals with several luxurious scepters.

Hard to say if that helped, but she is a bit calmer now. Among other dwarves, there are the same 2 or 3 dwarves constantly sitting in depression, but others are fine.

We finished a couple new constructions on the surface. Both buildings can be entered only from inside:

A walled (with 2 levels wall) pasture and a wooden tower with green glass roof for Sneaky Raiders. It has no members now, but I plan to recruit few elves in this squad, equip them with inexpensive gear and use them for stealth operations outside. We have too many elves here doing too few things! And many of them were freed by Tomb Raider, so they must be thankful and continue his business.

I plan to cover the pasture with clear glass roof. This is extremely massive workload for our industry - we need around 270 blocks. And so far we have barely started.
But we all want the best for our bunnies, aren't we?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:25:01 pm by hun »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hun;
3:Glass roof? Why glass? Rabbits can't cave adapt, can they? Glass would be completely unnecessary.
4:Build an atom smasher several channels down, then set them to dump the corpses to the atom smasher. Refuse problem solved.

I just like the idea of glass roof! It is cool.

Regarding the atom smasher, I heard it does not delete the items completely from the game, they sit somewhere in the memory, and constant using it eventually leads to fps drop. If you guys are sure that this is not true, then we can build it. But we should be careful with fps, it is the standard killer of games.

PS. Sorry for your dorf, you can pick a new one, now or later.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Pikachu18, a soldier if possible, anyone who is fairly non-depressed if not.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad my dwarf is actually contributing to protecting the fort instead of doing nothing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad my dwarf is actually contributing to protecting the fort instead of doing nothing.
And who in perticular were you referring to with that statement?  >:(

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile

Probably me.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably me.
I only said that because the only other times my dwarf has shown up in an updates is because he was stealing all the rabbits, and other then that I figured he was sitting around and doing nothing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile

I'm gonna tackle the elephant in the room.

And by that, I mean that we need to kill that damn elven mayor.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile

I'm gonna tackle the elephant in the room.

And by that, I mean that we need to kill that damn elven mayor.
most importantly we put up statues of the death
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwile, the autumn has begun.

One of the new recruits on the very first day of draft said that he is a big fan of Pickahu17 and his fighting style. He claimed himself an ideological sucessor of him, and demand to call him Pickachu18 from now on. I have no doubts that he is going to be a legendary warrior.

Just when we were talking about those matters, I heard screams outside. Ambush, another one, a dozen of them! Elves were jumping from every single tree and from every bush around. Around 70 elves with grizly bears - that's a truly massive raid. I tried to position my archer squad to shoot them from afar, but I failed miserably - we took the main strike before other squads came to help. 4 marksdwarves were killed, I had a severe wound in my chest and huge blood loss - I managed to kill 3 of damned elves though.

They didn't have any chances to beat us in melee fight though. It was a massacre on the ocean beach.

Soon after that I was brought to the hospital with several other dwarves and fell into unconsciousness...

Later I was told that the best warrior in that battle was 'Coattails' - he scored 37 kills by now, which is the best result in the fortress, which placed 'youngbab' to the second position with 34. Pickachu18 has shown a promising results, as I predicted - 5 elves while being an absolute novice! He got some light injuries of the leg though.
In our Axington squad 'SpeciesUnknown' did 7 kills, although 'Weasel' is the leader with 9.

As I was lying in the hospital and listen to the reports, I could conclude that things gets a bit tougher for us. Several dwarves are depressed now, including our baroness DerpyDev. No tantrums or berserks yet though. Too many corpses and remains - I ordered to start doing a pit for them as fast as possible. We will fill it with magma in the future, now we just need to save space.

And for the Armok sake, someone make soap! Our doctor said to me secretly that Coattails shows signs of infection and may even die...  I don't want to end like that too!

Just few days after the battle a dwarven caravan came. I could not miss such a chance, and we bought as much metal bars and equipment as we could, among with several bunnies and other (less important) animals. We were selling meals and silver crafts. For the next year, I ordered mainly more bars and equipment.

A minor alarm happened in the cave outpost. I was nervous expecting intrusion of Forgotten Beast, but it was a Sightless - a disgusting creature with tentacles, remotely resembling a human in the upper body. It almost killed our guard dog and injured a metalcrafter, before our cave squad put the thing to rest.

The corpse pit with an automatic dumper is operational now.

Just in time -  elven remains are scattered here and there, and miasmas are not adding to overall happiness.

Some tantrums started to spread. No deaths or serious inguries so far, but this is worrying me.

We have 7 or 8 dwarves who are quite miserable. Seeing 'youngbab' full of optimism and cheerfulness [ecstatic with -64k stress] in this harsh times is something that helps me a lot. I tried to cover most obvious complains - we have now sufficient amount of silver goblets, so all dwarves can drink with comfort, but that is clearely not the main reason for low morale. We just need to pack all dead bodies into the pit and wait over, untill the horrors of seeing remains would sink in memory...

A dwarven child made an artifact wooden cup for his daddy Lunardog15! This was the nicest thing I have seen during the year.

Another assault from the the caves, two Disfigures - a strange humanoids.

One of them almost killed two guard dogs and slipped without being noticed by our cave squad, and later a stonecrafter was killed on the main stairway. Later the creature was killed by one of our surface military. The second one was intercepted and easily killed at the cave outpost.
I decided to remove one wall of the cave barracks, so our squad would always could see if someone is trying to enter the fortress from below and engage immediately.

After recent elf attack, our people turned against being ruled by the filthy elf. The anger of our citizens was so intense, that the former mayor were executed at a specially organized site.

No doubts, this fact greatly horrified other elves of the fortess - all of them are now archers in Sneaky Raiders, training and preparing for future raids against their kin. Not an easy destiny - but no one promised that Bandithorses is going to be a resort for them.

The winter days has come.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

You know you could have just deposed and exiled him, right?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know you could have just deposed and exiled him, right?

Exiling? Not sure how to exile from the fortress. Just deposing is a weak solution - they tend to be re-elected later, since it is mostly social skills that matter.

Anyway, our baroness demanded BLOOD. :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:23:01 pm by hun »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

v-p-e in 44.11. Choose general expulsion, or to a specific place. They will not come back unless you call them back.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Later I was told that the best warrior in that battle was 'Coattails' - he scored 37 kills by now, which is the best result in the fortress, which placed 'youngbab' to the second position with 34.

>:c
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28