Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you handle Clothing?  (Read 4768 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle Clothing?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:09 am »

Are pig tail cloth cloaks just as good as pig leather cloaks?

cloth's defense value = 0
leather's (bone's, shell's, wood's) defense value = 1
metal defense value = 2/3
master quality = +1

I wasn't doing this !science!, I just read on forum a lot of posts on this. Though I believe Wiki on armor topic should have this information too. You should also check on densities Wiki page, when setting up armor and weapon's material choices. I did. One of the unfortunate reasons I have in my artifact list lousy but named leather shields. :P

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor
"
Types of armor

In terms of classifications, armor can be classed into three different types. The first is clothing, made of leather or cloth. Clothing can only deflect very weak attacks - say, a raven bite - but nonetheless can dampen damage. Most dwarves will be wearing clothing; those that aren't will usually be very unhappy, babies, or insane. The second type is leather and bone armor, which is specialized for the purpose from clothing; it is very weak, but still better than nothing. The last type is true metal armor, made at a metalsmith's forge; it is this armor that is made by an armorsmith, and should be used by a serious military.

Though all clothes can protect from damage, a "true" suit of armor consists of the following pieces, one cell from each column.

Torso   Head   Arm   Leg   Feet   Shields (block attacks)

Mail Shirt (upper body + lower body + neck + upper arms + upper legs) and/or Breastplate (upper body + lower body)
Helms
Gauntlets (hands + wrists)
Greaves, made of plate
High boots (feet + lower legs)
Shield

Leather armor (upper body + lower body)
Cap
Gloves (hands)
Leggings, made of chain
Low boots (feet)
Buckler

The first row is the more effective choice, while the second row is an alternative offering less protection.
Note that if a mail shirt is combined with high boots, explicit leg covering can be omitted. (Dwarves don't have knees to protect, so upper leg from the shirt and lower leg from the boot is complete).
"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 06:07:09 am »

cloth's defense value = 0
leather's (bone's, shell's, wood's) defense value = 1
metal defense value = 2/3
master quality = +1
These armor values may not apply to cloaks, since they do not have an "armor level" value in this chart, which makes them just another type of clothing on the chart and the only difference in combat may be based on the material's raw values (leather and plant cloth). I don't know what data is implemented in the combat system and am no expert on it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 07:36:38 am »

These armor values may not apply to cloaks, since they do not have an "armor level" value in this chart, which makes them just another type of clothing on the chart and the only difference in combat may be based on the material's raw values (leather and plant cloth). I don't know what data is implemented in the combat system and am no expert on it.

I think you will find quite few topics on this forum on the subject of how useful are leather cloaks in military and in combat. There are positives if you can change sharp attack into blunt one. People gathered this knowledge through !SCIENCE!. It does not matter, if this makes sense, but DF military just works better with those leather cloaks. Even better is adamantine cloaks, but as it gets worn down as regular cloth, judged as extreme waste of candy *(just delete waffles in inorganic_material.txt and you'll go further with bars). Cloth cloaks help just so little in combat, they are generally ignored for military usage. Though Dwarves claiming expensive colored pig tail master quality cloaks, won't grab your precious cheap master quality leather cloaks. Here are few examples of those topics, some dating from 2011. I don't play DF for so long, but military system in DF is not updated, bug fixed, balanced, changed or added new features on yearly basis. If search engine on this forum is not working decently, just use Google with "Dwarf Fortress" and "bay12forums" in your search phrase.

"Cloaks, mandatory for military? " www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89811.0

"Uniform design" www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98200.msg2862995#msg2862995  *(4 cloaks!)

"Ok so one of my dwarves claimed a masterwork adamantine cloak" http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144373.0 *(hahaha! How typical.)

You read forum long enough, you better learn how DF works, then even Wiki wants you to know. Forum is far superior source of information on this topic over Wiki currently.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:56 am »

Yes, leather cloaks are better than cloth cloaks. If you look in the RAW files, leather has [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:50000] and cloth has [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100000]. Lower numbers are better for IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD. There are other yield and shear values that are different, but I do not know how they are used or which are better.

My understanding of the "armor level" values (0=clothing, 1=leather, 2=chain, and 3=plate) is that they were used to for uniforms in older versions of DF (If you assign a dwarf to wear "chain armor", then he would wear items with a "armor level" of 2 or less). I currently believe those "armor level" values are not used in the calculations, and that the calculations only use the material properties from the raws, modified by the item type and quality levels. I'm not opposed to learning something new about it *grins*.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]