Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you handle Clothing?  (Read 4769 times)

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle Clothing?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:46:27 pm »

Nearly a novice? Really?

I know right! I was shocked when I just checked. I've built far too many bridges as well, but still only 474xp! Below is a little snapshot to show it for all its.. glory?

Edit: that was the wrong statue... wanted to paste the one mentioned Shieldamors... ah well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:54:01 pm by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:45 am »

I play vanilla DF. I create Quantum Stockpiles for each type of cloth. Then make sure there are few cloths of each sort. Usually goblinite solves it for me. So long they have some garbs in them, the Dwarves get only negative thoughts like "have rotten cloths fall off from me", but nothing else.

Thing with cloths is, it chews on your cpu, so you don't really want many cloths in your fortress. Even negative thoughts about cloths rotting off the Dwarves is better, then mass cloth production.

I consider cloth industry as a classic DF-noob trap. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:12:53 am by Sarmatian123 »

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:29 am »

I play vanilla DF. I create Quantum Stockpiles for each type of cloth. Then make sure there are few cloths of each sort. Usually goblinite solves it for me. So long they have some garbs in them, the Dwarves get only negative thoughts like "have rotten cloths fall off from me", but nothing else.

Thing with cloths is, it chews on your cpu, so you don't really want many cloths in your fortress. Even negative thoughts about cloths rotting off the Dwarves is better, then mass cloth production.

Well said. I'll take that advice to heart :)
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 07:05:13 pm »

IDK I like clothing cause it's complicated and a cool way to pimp out your fort. Masterfully woven giant-spider silk that's masterfully dyed and then masterfully made into a garment is baller as hell.

If you know what you're doing I think the fps impact is marginal. Best case is you have about three items per citizen worst case should only be a handful of floating extras..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:09:10 pm by smithist »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:58 pm »

To be quite honest, clothes are marginal compared to the baubles your dwaves put on. After 25 years, most of my dwarves have a full 2 pages of rings, crowns and whatsmore on them. And a pair of socks. Ofcourse, I could make it all go away with a replace clothing order followed by a cleanowned scattered and subsequent dumping frenzy. Then again, baubles aren't subject to wear.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 10:54:35 pm »

It's not really about literal value or even how they feel. I just think it's cool.

[e] I usually run fairly small forts where I know all my dwarves and I like to pamper them. They should look fly whether there's a mechanisim in place for them to sufficiently care or not.

If I'm gaming fortress value I'll just set aside a few adamantine for artifacts or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:02:08 pm by smithist »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:18 am »

I want my dwarves to have high-quality, comfortable clothes including socks, but I'm worried the socks will block them from putting on foot armor.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:34 am »

If I'm gaming fortress value I'll just set aside a few adamantine for artifacts or whatever.

If you starting new embark, you can pop adamantine above iron in inorganic_material.txt. Then you need just forbid basic material, when moody Dwarf starts a job. It works if there are other materials but the basic one though. Although, if Dwarf has preferences, you can't play on the RND for the right one. I am stuck with left adamantine mitten for example. What a useless artifact... Though in 0.44.05 I noticed you can move artifact to Depot for trading. Maybe I should try selling it? :D

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:33 am »

I want my dwarves to have high-quality, comfortable clothes including socks, but I'm worried the socks will block them from putting on foot armor.
Socks don't block foot armor. Shoes do, but socks are fine. My dwarves happily put on their high boots while wearing socks

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:47 am »

Thank you. The wiki was saying a bug prevented socks from being worn under boots, but I wasn't sure if that was still an issue in the game. Wiki quote:

Quote from: DFWiki Armor page
It appears that equipping footwear on one foot can affect what can be equipped on the other. For example, if a uniform calls for socks and high boots, a dwarf will only equip 3 of those 4 items between both of his feet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:26 am »

I've never tried assigning socks through the equipment screen, that bug might still exist.
It works fine with the socks worn as normal civilian clothing, and the boots as armour, set to wear over clothing.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 09:31:47 am »

Nice! Thank you, martinez!

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »

I have completely ignored clothing since the "oh noes clothing" update.  There is so much to learn in DF that I usually only teach myself to address changes in the game that require me to do so or areas where I feel I want to progress into and do something more with.  I have never made a single article of clothing and yet have forts go on for years and years with populations of 60 to 100 with no negative ramifications.  I check dwarf therapist often and if my dorf citizens are sad about the clothing (or lack thereof), it does not seem to impact their overall mood which seems to remain cheery.

I am not sure *why* I have not had to address this yet but it simply has not become enough of an issue to design and create an industry.

???

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 04:31:28 pm »

I am not sure *why* I have not had to address this yet but it simply has not become enough of an issue to design and create an industry.

I'll give you a reason. Armor. Cloaks for military Dwarves. There is only so many chain mails you can put on. Then breast plate. This is where armor officially ends, but I read on wiki and forums, that some people tried with success stacking leather cloaks on top and had huge success with it for Dwarven survival on battle field. Feel free to !science! that. Cloak goes over everything but hands and feet I think. Cloaks!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »

Are pig tail cloth cloaks just as good as pig leather cloaks?
Pages: 1 [2] 3