Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Life in Space  (Read 10203 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Space
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:32 am »

Fill the form again:
"are you planning to instigate hostilities or blow up the ship or something rash and dangerous like that?" - No, I'm going to leave the ship as it is as soon as rest of the crew is found and a new vessel is assembled.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 08:06:33 am »

While I get my nutrients I shall discreetely eavesdrop on the conversations of other people here.
You get the usual "DMV waiting line" kind of conversations, though it is clear that the refugee ship has picked up a variety of life forms from a variety of disasters - natural, political, mechanical. It seems as if this ship travels pretty extensively doing this work. You wonder who funds such an expedition. And why.

"Ah, right. Don't technically have our lawman license yet. Liffin, compose our list of references, we're gonna blow these yokels away for sure."

Apply for that security job! Also make sure to mention that we've got a fairly modular sort of vessel that could accept, say, a railgun attachment or maybe a nanotech razor swarm for peacekeeping use.

Spoiler: Crew Sheet (click to show/hide)
Alright, you fill out forms and answer questions and all that jazz. you sign some papers - the usual agreements and oaths. Hmm. How's a goo cannon sound for armament? Good for immobilizing aggressors. Fun at parties.

Spoiler: Reminder (click to show/hide)
Attemp activation and stimulation of the various sense organs in the corpse. Can I see? Hear?
You can see. your color spectrum is limited, but you have decent enough sight. Hearing is okay, but interpreting the singlas this body receives as hearing is new, so you are getting a lot of nonsense there. It'll take some time to sort learn this creature's hearing sense. You can feel just fine though. Like, the body has skin receptors, so you can, when concentrating on that sense, feel with good sensitivity.

Fill the form again:
"are you planning to instigate hostilities or blow up the ship or something rash and dangerous like that?" - No, I'm going to leave the ship as it is as soon as rest of the crew is found and a new vessel is assembled.

Alright, so, They basically give you a few options: drop off at Cracked Bartholemew, service on board (and eventual transfer to a central station out of which this ship operates), drop off at the nearest planet with iron deposits, or continue on board until you find a planet more suitable or you assemble the ship you are after. This last will require that you earn chits for passage, usually by doing menial chores around the ship.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:18 am »

I start collecting information on the leadership of the ship as well as any potential fund givers.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »

Drop off at Cracked Bartholemew.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 12:24:30 pm »

"Mulahey, I got news for you - goo cannon comin' in!"

Hell yeah I want a goo cannon. Do we get a badge attached to the hull as well? Send a crew (suited up, most likely) to properly secure it if yes. Wouldn't want to drop and misplace it somewhere.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »

Now try to sense the internal organs. Do I have blood? Do I breathe? Can the digestive system be adapted to consume organic matter to be integrated with the slime?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:36 am »

I start collecting information on the leadership of the ship as well as any potential fund givers.
What sort of information are you collecting here?

Drop off at Cracked Bartholemew.
Okay. It'll be a few turns probably.

"Mulahey, I got news for you - goo cannon comin' in!"

Hell yeah I want a goo cannon. Do we get a badge attached to the hull as well? Send a crew (suited up, most likely) to properly secure it if yes. Wouldn't want to drop and misplace it somewhere.

You can get one of those optic paint jobs - like a hologram or whatever - that displays your security classification.
You get a ... goo 'cannon' mounted to the bottom of your ship. You are told it will hold three shots and can incapacitate one standard sized being per shot, generally.

You are sent out on a routine hull inspection - external - since you can handle that without added life support concerns. I'm sure you know the kinds of things you would need to check for. "it's a basic shake down mission, before we get you interacting with the populace. Gotta show the higher ups what you can do, and more importantly, how you handle orders and interaction with the team."

Now try to sense the internal organs. Do I have blood? Do I breathe? Can the digestive system be adapted to consume organic matter to be integrated with the slime?
(3) you have a sort of vascular system. It pumps nutrients directly to organs and the like. (6) you breathe a methane mixture. Which might explain why you were dead, as there is no methane in the environment here. (6) The digestive system burns organic matter at an alarming rate. You basically need to be eating hourly, except in dormant state. You could siphon off nutrients - if you can eat enough to fuel the creature's body. Or if you choose to let the body decay and take the nutrients first. You should eat very soon.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:51 am »

"Right, crew, we're about to be sent on a hull inspection. Now, I know we've done this kind of thing before, but people will be watching our performance, so be alert and on your best behavior! We're Mitlacks and we've got all the qualifications, so we have to be prepared to blow them away with what an awesome job we'll do of it. Steady on! Captain out."

Address the crew and take the job. Do get a briefing on what we're supposed to check for, however, since it always pays to be sure and you wouldn't want to confuse an extra-hull symbiote with a malcontent in the heat of the moment.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 11:39:26 am »

Identities, rumours, mostly.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 12:23:49 pm »

Attemp to propely move with this body and find organic matter to consume.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:33 pm »

Try to find other crew members in the meantime.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:02 am »

"Right, crew, we're about to be sent on a hull inspection. Now, I know we've done this kind of thing before, but people will be watching our performance, so be alert and on your best behavior! We're Mitlacks and we've got all the qualifications, so we have to be prepared to blow them away with what an awesome job we'll do of it. Steady on! Captain out."

Address the crew and take the job. Do get a briefing on what we're supposed to check for, however, since it always pays to be sure and you wouldn't want to confuse an extra-hull symbiote with a malcontent in the heat of the moment.
"Inspection elements: Air leaks, fuel leaks, radiation leaks (aside from the standard thermal, and any communications beams, which are by nature radiation leakages), pitting, corrosion beyond a minimum expected standard (which is provided), make sure the exterior assemblages are in good working condition, generally any living organism should not be fastened to the hull - we are not aware of any sanctioned external hitchhikers. But do radio us with details before gooing up any possibly sapient organic masses, eh? Unless at risk of your ship. Other alarming or concerning objects, lack of expected objects, events, or lack of expected events as your judgment dictates to be significant."

(6) meanwhile, your speech has inspired the crew to look and act their best. Naturally, this means a full inspection, which means a detailed cleanup of the ship and crew. The XO, Liffin, schedules some training maneuvers, and the ops officer pores over all the information on the specifications of the refuge ship that they can get their hands on ... or at least, that communications operator Thlayla can get downloaded into the ship's banks. Naturally, this delays your launch, and paperwork piles up on your desk, both figuratively, because most of it is digital, and literally, because some of it is analog.

Identities, rumours, mostly.
(1) you hear a rumor that the subcaptain Berklesmith eats babies. You hope that is a translation error. Or maybe you don't. I don't really know your species' stance on the issue of baby eating.

Attemp to propely move with this body and find organic matter to consume.
(3) you kinda move like the bug from the original Men In Black, wearing his Edgar suit. (6 )you literally fall over on top of that other organic corpse I mentioned before.

Try to find other crew members in the meantime.
Other members of your own species? or what? Who are you looking for? Volunteers? Members of your previous military?
When was the last time you saw said beings?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2018, 09:39:32 am »

I shall look into this Berklesmith. Perhaps he could also be made into an unwitting servant of the Tzar. I will try and learn more about him.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2018, 10:25:11 am »

I don't remember there being a corpse before. Examine room again in a more detailed way.

If this corpse is not the one I'm inside of right now, attemp to use my body's digestive system to consume it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2018, 05:36:30 am »

Coordinate the preparations! Throw myself into work! We won't be caught with our proverbial pants down on this priority assignment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6