Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Life in Space  (Read 10183 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Space
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 02:08:48 pm »

Try to determine what's causing troubles further the line Smurshjah is in (line for documentation).

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 05:51:41 pm »

One, two ... five. How did I miscount this many players? weeeeeeiiiiiiird.

Hmm, I am seeing ... egan is in the line for documentation, as is Dark One.
Sabertooth and Harry are first to comment on the obstruction, so they are in the line with the hold-up, which is now the organic resupply line.
random is ... oozing.

Name: "Juub" / Nameless.
Race: Ooze / Unknown sapient corpse as of yet unidentified.
status within the race: Inside an infested corpse about to be reanimated. / Abandoned body forgotten and lost.
skills: Fast learning. Nothing yet. / Brain too damaged to remember.

Adquire full control of the corpse and complete the reanimation.
Wake up. Examine "my" body and try to identify what "I" am.

(Is this good?)
Hmm, now to roll up a corpse for you: compatibility: (6) Well, that answers that. You have infested a Dripping Sap Leech. THese beings are parasites that inhabit tall, pulpy woodforms in a jungle-like environment. They are amorphous, Amoebic, and generally placid. they consume wood pulp, and ooze slowly out of holes in the bark as they expand. Generally they are transported to other woodstock by mammalian, reptilian and amphibian creatures that brush up against or walk over them. This picks up a portion of the creature 9like getting sap stuck to your feet.

You have total control over this nonsentient being.  (nope, you've already declared your brain to be too damaged for that). No emotions or pain receptors, just survival instinct and whatever goal your slime creature had been pursuing before becoming one with the Sap.

Long lines. Inefficient allocation of resources. Likely to make the more impatient saps unpredictable and disruptive. Whoever is in charge here is either incompetent, or powerless. Oh well, it is not my problem.

Waiting patiently for a licence to practice maintenance on biological aliens, or "medicine" as it is called here. I control my own clock and was not programmed or trained to experience boredom, so waiting will only become a problem if I need to wait so long that I require maintenance in the meantime. I do carry a few tools to tune up my body, and have a wireless connection to this place's network, so that shouldn't be a problem on the time scales we're talking about. A more likely problem is that a less rational sap decides to attack me, in which case I'll speed up my clock, route power to my military stunner arm, and incapacitate it.

you go into idle mode.

Peer from the line to see what the hold-up is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Something massive is blocking a chokepoint up ahead. it looks like some large, flabby, gumdrop shaped being has collapsed in the entranceway to the next station in the line. I say collapsed, because the gumdrop looks more like a deflated beanbag chair, and is half draped over a few workers, pressing two against the wall and at least one down to the floor. You can't tell if this is an aggressive act, or simply exhaustion on the part of the giant gumdrop.

Captain Zolla wiggled in her captain's receptacle as the visual feed resolved around her. Docking procedures made her uneasy. All of these large bodies crowding together.

"Karhall, get me an active scan of the premises. The whales must be at it again."

Have my girl at the sensors, Karhall, perform a deeper scan from where we are to get a better idea of what's happening up ahead and if we need to shoot anyone. We might be here to replenish our organic precursors but security detail is a job as sleepless as it is thankless.
you are in the same line as Sabertooth then? So I'll add him to the "organic replenishment" line.
Please keep a roster of your crew (names and assignments) in your op charsheet, so I can more easily follow if names start piling up. (2) "Some sort of Organic blockage sir. Perhaps we have stumbled into the organic disposal and reuptake pipelines again?" Obviously you haven't. Technically, Karhall's quip is within the bounds of observational reporting suitable for her station, but you know her well enough to read the sarcasm. She hides the twinkle in her visual receptacle(s) well enough.

Try to determine what's causing troubles further the line Smurshjah is in (line for documentation).
The cacaphony has been going on for quite some time, and seems to be causing hostile feelings from the nearest fellow sapients. At least, the ones with obvious audio receptacles. So far, no violence has broken out, but there has been sign of jostling, and a few minor arguments have broken out among bystanders.

Oh right. the cacaphony is being created by a flock of winged beings, roughly basketball sized. constantly fluttering about in a static pattern, filling a volume of the room rather than a specific spot in line. Oddly enough, though the flock has absorbed more than one ground based sapient into it's volume, and the individual beings seem to fly in a haphazard manner, the central locus of the flock remains steadfastly in line, between a large, brightly yellow (like shining bright) obloid, and a squat, six legged ... what looks like a plush loveseat, but five feet tall.

Within the flock are several larger winged things, more the size of a beach ball. these tend to remain quite central, thoug hthey are often enough obscured by the remaining beigns that it is hard at first to identify them. once you do, they become more obvious.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:42 pm »

Give the public network structure of this vessel a good once-over. Fairly utilitarian, I'd expect. Is there a general communications server, and is there any cost to accessing such?

Spoiler: Waiting log (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit data (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 06:11:34 pm »

(Slimes don't have brain or goals other than infesting corpses and consuming organic matter, I was hoping to infest a body of an alien with a brain to adquire sapience and sentience. I'm basically nonsentient and nonsapient now, and I'm not even sure if they are able to control cratures without brains. Basically, I'm currently still a slime stuck inside a dead amoeba. When I said
skills: Brain too damaged to remember.
I meant the body I was going to control because memories of the bodies are always lost post death and reanimation.
But I guess since I got a 6 that I'm going to play as an animal instead of an amnesiac during the rest of the game. Oh well.)
Eat the Sap from inside, consuming the organic matter and transforming it into more slime, growing in size and gaining more understanding of alien DNA. Find another body to attemp to infest or more organic matter to consume and grow.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 11:02:08 am »

"Very funny, Karhall. Keep an eye out, we're gonna get in closer."

Maneuver cleverly above the line and do a sweep of the area to better identify the cause of the disorder.

Spoiler: Crew Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:03:55 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:49 pm »

Try to determine what these flying beings are, moving on with the line if it moves any further.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 08:40:18 am »

Thanks for bearing with me this last week. I've been painfully sick. coughing my brains out. yuck.

Give the public network structure of this vessel a good once-over. Fairly utilitarian, I'd expect. Is there a general communications server, and is there any cost to accessing such?

Spoiler: Waiting log (click to show/hide)

(2) The internal public communication network is currently offline for some reason. Usually you could access some basic functions, such as space report, travel info, news feeds, and internal chat lines, as well as scheduling for activities and the like with no cost. But at the moment, all that is irrelevant.

(Slimes don't have brain or goals other than infesting corpses and consuming organic matter, I was hoping to infest a body of an alien with a brain to adquire sapience and sentience. I'm basically nonsentient and nonsapient now, and I'm not even sure if they are able to control cratures without brains. Basically, I'm currently still a slime stuck inside a dead amoeba. When I said
skills: Brain too damaged to remember.
I meant the body I was going to control because memories of the bodies are always lost post death and reanimation.
But I guess since I got a 6 that I'm going to play as an animal instead of an amnesiac during the rest of the game. Oh well.)
Eat the Sap from inside, consuming the organic matter and transforming it into more slime, growing in size and gaining more understanding of alien DNA. Find another body to attemp to infest or more organic matter to consume and grow.
(3)You consume the material of the Amoeba. The tree you are attached to is also organic, thoguh it is a harder stock to consume for your species.yo uare currently roughly forty kilograms of slime. (4) well, there is some kind of furred corpse at the base of the tree you are in. It's about eight kilograms, and has a prehensile tail and several manipulator digits.

"Very funny, Karhall. Keep an eye out, we're gonna get in closer."

Maneuver cleverly above the line and do a sweep of the area to better identify the cause of the disorder.

you guys get the advantage of elevation and see more clearly the gumdrop shaped obstruction, which is currently squishing some attendants against the wall and floor. the gumdrop seems to have stopped moving, though a couple locations around hte upper globule are fluttering rapidly and irregularly. speech maybe? or signs of distress?

Try to determine what these flying beings are, moving on with the line if it moves any further.
(5) by the simple expedient of "approaching and asking" you discover the name of the flying things' species (The hawworidz), and that this group is considered a single "nest." The noise they make is essentially their internal communcation among the flock - like they are thinking out loud. you learn that the smaller beings are essentially partial identities, while the larger beachball sized ones are full individuals in their own right. as long as there is one of the larger ones in a flock, the flock acts as a coordinated group. but if the smaller ones are remved from that group, they become more or less feral. Well, by the time you learn all this bullshit, you find yourself at the front of the line, as the birdflock is called away into a separate room for processing.

"Please fill out the form as completely as possible. In particular, please answer as fully as you can these questions: where did the refugee ship pick you up? From where are yo ucoming? what is your citizenship status? what is your current destination? how long do you intend to remain at your current destination?"

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 10:56:10 am »

Try to infest this corpse. (Timeskip until the Ooze is ready to reanimate it and gain full control over the body?)
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:10 am »

"Aha! Time for diplomacy!"

Wield my authority as a security officer and signal for the line to clear away from the gumdrop-shaped obstruction.

"Thlayla! Perform a communications sweep!"

Have Comm Operator Thlayla inform the obstruction in every common language available to our comms suite that it's in the way and to respond affirmatively if it understands what we're saying (or beaming or otherwise conveying) to it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »

Wait

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 08:17:14 pm »

Try to infest this corpse. (Timeskip until the Ooze is ready to reanimate it and gain full control over the body?)
(3) well, you'll be able to direct it in a general way. It can climb and manipulate objects. We'll allow a rudimentary level of Sapience, in the interest of gameplay.

"Aha! Time for diplomacy!"

Wield my authority as a security officer and signal for the line to clear away from the gumdrop-shaped obstruction.

"Thlayla! Perform a communications sweep!"

Have Comm Operator Thlayla inform the obstruction in every common language available to our comms suite that it's in the way and to respond affirmatively if it understands what we're saying (or beaming or otherwise conveying) to it.
[hidden] The warbling and wriggling that comes back through the comms sounds like someone is unclogging a waste disposal perch. After a moment, your translation devise emits a loud wail and a gargled plea for help - a desperate cry for water and glucose. The warbling intensifies, and the gumdrop wriggles more, though it seems even mre deflated as it does. The cries for aid are confused, with multiple sentences being overlaid on top of each other as sounds other than the warbling join it in a cacophonous harmony of frustration and pain.

Wait

You wait.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:13 pm »

Wait

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 08:48:33 pm »

Think. Become aware of myself and my surroundings. Examine myself and my enviroment. What do I feel? How do I feel?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 05:54:56 am »

Step out of the queue and move past the meatbags. Approach the mysterious object.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:29 am »

"Seems like the thing's in nutritional distress. Set course for the nutrient station!"

Get some sugar water to dispense at this creature to see if it'll feel any better as a result. Maybe commandeer a sugary drinks machine utilizing my security privileges.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6