Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Life in Space  (Read 10191 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Life in Space
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:44:24 am »

This is a reboot of my first rtd, Roll to Alien.

You are an Alien. of course, from your perspective, the other races are the aliens.
Why are you here, on this space station so far from your homeworld?
Why have you come to dwell among the many strange species of beings found here?
What did they put in that drink, anyway?

You don't have to have a complete sheet to join. We can work out some info as we go. But a lot of what's in here will make a difference to gameplay, so do try to flesh out the race as you go.

clarifications of terms. please ask to have any terms included that you find useful
Spoiler: definitions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:44:37 pm by Ozarck »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Life in Space
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:44 am »

Name: Taras Soroka.
Race: Zemljanin.
Status within the race: Propaganda officer.
Skills: Intimidation, Bargaining, Melee and Ranged Combat, Persuasion, Public Speaking, Street Wisdom.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »

I have an idea for a species but I don't know how to fill it up on the sheet.

Spoiler: Ooze (click to show/hide)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:34 pm »

Name: Taras Soroka.
Race: Zemljanin.
Status within the race: Propaganda officer.
Skills: Intimidation, Bargaining, Melee and Ranged Combat, Persuasion, Public Speaking, Street Wisdom.
I don't see any issues here. looks good

I have an idea for a species but I don't know how to fill it up on the sheet.

Spoiler: Ooze (click to show/hide)
that's a pretty fascinating race, and would probably work in a setting like Omega Legion. However, I see four main issues for this setting:

1) sapience (intelligence) requires a pretty complex network and wouldn't survive in single celled organisms.
2) a mental link with all scattered cells everywhere counts as racial telepathy.
3) I can't fathom anything the size (and therefore at least the weight) of Jupiter as surviving under it's own mass. I mean, I can fathm something like tht, but it would require a loooooot of explanation as to how the structure counteracted the many forces pushing it toward collapse
4) reanimating corpses requires a very intimate knowledge of said corpses. I could see two species on a single planet working together in such a way - but outside one's own evolutionary environment this action would be a far more challenging task.

I do like the idea of the race, but I think for this setting it wouldn't work very well.

If you like, we could pm about possible changes that would fit it in. I think we could keep some core ideas.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:31:26 pm »

What do you think about these changes and explanations?

1. The point is that they aren't sentient unless they either 1) Grow big enough to be able to form basic organs and a body made entirely of slime (like planet slime) or 2) Fusing with a corpse and repairing the brain, filling the missing parts with slime (reanimated slime corpse). Most "pure" slimes are primitive beings that only know that they should stick to corpses because of a primal insticts that says that corpses are similar to their natural enviroment.
2. Only the planet is telepathic because of years of evolution and adaptation. It's one sided and can only reach the brains of the reanimated slime creatures. The cells have basic "communication" between them like our cells "communicate" between them. It's in their alien DNA, just like our human DNA has knowledge about how organs are shaped like and their functions. The slime just assimilates this DNA knowledge and mimics it, which grants it the ability to copy the functions of the missing cells. If a slime cell gets into a dead stomach, it combines with the dead cells and now it knows the function of a stomach and because the slime is alive, it can now regenerate the missing parts just like our skin regenerates from wounds.
3. The planet itself is "dead" but still full of edible organic matter. The planet is infested, but not made entirely of slime. There are cave systems filled with of slime that act as nerves or veins while in other underground are huge concentrations of slime that have formed enormous brains. All of these brains are connecte beteween them by the slime conduits to trade information between them. It's a brain, but the brain itself is a meaty planet and the neurons are smaller brains made of slime.
4. If getting slime inside of every cavity and then assimilating the whole body is not intimate enough then I don't know what do you want. The transformation is slow and always starts at the brain, using the innate knowledge inside the brain, the slime fixes everything else.

The thing about the ooze is that because it's so simple, it's easier for it to adapt to enviroments, especially inside bodies because their planet is a giant dead body.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 08:38:02 pm »

I hope I haven't gone too crazy with that.

Spoiler: Iron Devourer Race (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Smurshjah (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:50:23 am by Dark One »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:32 pm »

updated the OP to include technological level as part of the stat sheet, and to include a couple definitions
for this game, sentience (ability to feel emotions and pain) and sapience (intelligence and self awareness, in effect) are not interchangeable.

What do you think about these changes and explanations?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thing about the ooze is that because it's so simple, it's easier for it to adapt to enviroments, especially inside bodies because their planet is a giant dead body.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:17 pm »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 05:51:42 am »

I made a few edits to my race and character sheets, included technological advancement.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:41 am »

Something like that could probably work. I'll need to think a little about the sizes necessary for sentience and sapience, but overall, without the telepathy and with reanimation being a long term issue, rather than something automatic, that's okay.

I made a few edits to my race and character sheets, included technological advancement.
Looks good. i gave it a cursory look though, so there might be a bug or two I overlooked :P

Hopefully this game generates a little more interest though. maybe three or four more players to start.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:48 am »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 11:26:30 am »

Spoiler: The Mitlacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Captain Zolla (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 06:12:26 pm »

Spoiler: The Mitlacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Captain Zolla (click to show/hide)
So, you are playing the captain of an eight inch long space ship, that lives on a much more expansive space station among alien entities of all sorts? ... I could make an entire game with that premise. I have concerns over the likelihood of such small beings achieving sapience though. thoughts?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 06:37:41 am »

So, you are playing the captain of an eight inch long space ship, that lives on a much more expansive space station among alien entities of all sorts? ... I could make an entire game with that premise. I have concerns over the likelihood of such small beings achieving sapience though. thoughts?

Ah, but the Mitlacks used to about 3 feet tall in their natural habitat on Avlack before a transmitlack initiative undertaken to harness their more promising technologies pushed them to miniaturize themselves by clever technological chicanery over timeframes comparable to several Earth centuries.

There's likely still ur-Mitlacks back on Avlack too, now that I think about it, it's just that it's kind of like the divide in Asimov's Caves of Steel between Earthmen and Spacers - the neo-Mitlacks (which are currently the most successful branch expansion-wise) have managed to spread far beyond their homeworld because most of advanced Mitlack technology simply does not work for their considerably enlarged cousins back on Avlack, so they live reasonably comfortably, but in a state of far lesser power and privilege in comparison.

Should also be noted that Captain Zolla's ship is on the small end of vessels - Mitlack fighters are about the size of a louse, and the largest Mitlack capital ships are about man-sized while packing about a tank's worth of firepower or more.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:41:28 am by Harry Baldman »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:00:06 am »

This made me laugh. It's hard to argue with that kind of thing.

Let's give this until Friday or so to see if it gets any more takers, then see what you guys want to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6