Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136568 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2010, 10:50:54 am »

Dumbbell tenaments. If done right, they look awesome on DF's top-down view, can be stacked easily, and with my personal design allow up to 8 dwarfs per floor, each sharing an office, dining room, and bedroom with one other dwarf. Or 4 dwarfs per floor w/o room sharing.
Engrave em up, and you end up with happy dwarves.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:37 am »

Small design I drew up while talking in IRC.  Probably not the most space efficient, but it looks nice :P

lazylonelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2010, 11:58:39 am »

Got it from the wiki. Is not pretty but it works well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, I like it too.
(Here is wiki-link)
So I reworked it a little, and have made it better (I hope so)

So here we have:
  • fractal-like design
  • 3-tile wide main corridors
  • even more rooms and less steps to each one
    (Original: 61x61 tiles      224 dwarves      55 steps max
    My design: 61x61 tiles      244 dwarves      49 steps max
    Enough for full-sized fort, even with some spare jails/tombs
    etc.)
  • quite simple and effective
  • very scalable (but what for? :) Well, you can build it smaller easily -- that's the fact)
  • anyway it has wide exits/entrances on every four sides, and 1-tile-wide on the diagonals
Few more words about it:
  • my design has bedroom entrances always directed to the center -- so, path becomes shorter
  • you can join two 3x1 rooms to get one 3x3, or three 3x1 to get one 5x3, and so on. Or you can make two 3x2 from three 3x1. All that leaving main fractal design intact
  • you can remove most central rooms to create big central square or perfect dining room, or whatever
  • take a look at upper-right quadrant -- you can remove some (or all) additional bedrooms to make ALL corridors 3-tiles-wide, if you like.
    Or you can place statues there, in the middle of the corridors instead.
  • my design starts with 3 central rooms -- you can start with two, four, five, six, or whatever you like. Three for a start seems more square for me, and some percents more effective.

Example with 5 rooms for a start is in the bottom-right quadrant.
I prefer to build public dining-room on another z-level, same for nobles' bedrooms too, so they are not on my plan.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:13:12 pm by lazylonelion »

booljayj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2010, 11:04:56 pm »

I don't use fractal designs. They are only useful in special cases, and for the most part are not what I would consider space-efficient.

My fortresses usually have 2-wide main hallways with a 2x2 staircase from bottom to top. I use 3x3 rooms for all dwarves, and only place bedroom furniture in them (1 bed, 2 chests, 1 cabinet, etc.) when needed.
At the bottom is my central staircase. The bottom half is the mirror image of the top. Below the 4 bedroom blocks are small dining rooms, and above are multiple levels of the same six-room pattern.

If the main level is placed just below the surface, you get 4 cool looking bedroom towers sticking above your fortress. If you wish, noble bedrooms can be placed on top of these. The design is easy to extend in every direction, and you achieve a high density of 3x3 rooms.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/db06de5218.jpg

I'm using this bedroom layout for my fortress. Pretty self explanatory

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 01, 2011, 06:00:53 pm »

4 dorfs to a room. 3x3 bedrooms with a bed in each corner. Cabinet and coffer on two walls, door on 3rd. An 'apartment block' is 2 rows of 4 of those rooms, with a 2-wide corridor running all around.

lazylonelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 01, 2011, 06:21:41 pm »

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/db06de5218.jpg

I'm using this bedroom layout for my fortress. Pretty self explanatory
can't load image

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 02, 2011, 02:50:59 am »

I've started using what I call the "prairie dog" style of housing. Designate an n*7 square, and in the center of each 7x7 square designate a 3x3 block of up ramps. Then go and remove the designation on every third row and column.

Code: [Select]
#######
#B.#.B#
#.^#^.#
#######
#.^#^.#
#B.#.B#
#######

On the z level above just dig out the entire area, and make it your dining hall. Make hatch covers for all the holes to add to the room value in place of engravings.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 02, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░  ░
BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░  ░
C .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .D ░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░  ░
BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░BC░  ░
C .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .DC DC .DC DC .DC .D ░

B=bed
C=container/cabinet
D=door
./space=nothing
░=wall

privacy is for people dwarfs with something to hide
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:21:58 pm by noob »
LOSING IS FUN!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 02, 2011, 07:03:40 pm »

And long pointless treks is for dwarves with a lot of free time on their hands.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 02, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »

I'm not doing fortress-housing bedroom complexes any more. Industrial areas now comprise input areas, workshops, output areas, and bedrooms for the dwarves that work there. Industrial complexes are oriented as vertically as I can stand (what I wouldn't give for the game to be able to treat stockpile settings like it treats embark profiles) around a central access area, so there should be plenty of room for personal rooms on the outskirts of the production areas.

I did do fancy fractals once in 40d, and found that dwarves would hang around in their (nice) rooms even with a meeting area set. So if they're going to split their time between sitting on their beds and doing skilled work in one area of the fortress, why not encourage them to stay near their workplace?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:02 am »

(what I wouldn't give for the game to be able to treat stockpile settings like it treats embark profiles)
I assume this is referring to setting up the same stockpile settings over and over on several floors. Have you tried the ingame macro system? It sends a series of keypresses, so if you record the exact keypresses to set up the stockpile then you could have it repeat it as much as you want.

Gorm

• Bay Watcher
  • not related to Gorm of Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:47 pm »

My current design consists of a single main corridor with side corridors on the same level as well as on the next higher and lower level:
It's probably not very efficient considering either space or walking distance, but I usually have much more space than I need anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:42:28 pm by Gorm »
As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate.
so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2011, 03:24:39 pm »

Usually I dig my hallways with vaults two or three Z-levels tall, so I've taken to building stacked apartments, complete with windows overlooking the 'street'. These take a while to build so I assign them to female dwarves (my personal mod has a 3:1 male:female ratio) who get married , thus providing quality dwellings for dwarven families. Bachelors are either in the dorm or the barracks
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »

Code: [Select]
..D.B0B.D..
..D.B0B.D..
..D.B0B.D..
..D.B0B.D..
..D.B0B.D..

Blocks of this for normal dorfs
Legendary get 3*3 rooms, usually smoothed, sometimes engraved.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28