Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - GAME OVER  (Read 47194 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 2, Summer 1951
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2018, 12:03:36 am »

Fragmentation isn't banned. Only fragments which are undetectable by x-ray are. More to the point such a case will hurt both sides, not just them. A little pointless and is basically trying to make a case out of something frivolous.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2018, 02:40:39 am »

Right now they have a fragmentations design and we don't, that is one-way pain. It might affect our future plans, but it affects both equally, and so that is zero-sum pain. All the hurt is on them.
As for frivolity? I fail to see how. Could you provide a precise argument? I imagine that the argument is that speeding chunks of metal projected directly away from a weapon using chemical explosive are not projectiles. Does this mean that we can use automatic shotguns provided that they have no barrel? Perhaps they can argue that the pineapple shape is purely for grip and has no intention at all of producing a large spray of projectiles? It could only be frivolous on the ground of established acceptance. The arguments, as far as I can see, are completely sound, both by the letter and stated intent of the restriction. Anything with a specific shrapnel component should be outlawed, while high-explosives should receive the same treatment by the given intentions, but the laws don't cover them, and skirting the laws is what we are all about!

We have motive, it forces them to revise or go without a grenade, and might get some minor sanctions against them.
We have method. I feel confident that the technical definition of shrapnel would definitely be projectiles. Incidental material ejected by a bomb would likely be argued away with little difficulty, but deliberately projecting chunks of metal around? I can't see a case for frivolity here.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2018, 03:03:07 pm »

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision)
To increase the reliability of the Qi-Chu, the skirt is separated into 12 vertical compartments, all of which are divided by lightly armored metal sheets - making it more resistant to enemy fire and making the loss of a single compartment less damaging, since the vehicle could run on the others, allowing it to travel over the sea much more safely. The skirt itself is improved so as to be less sensitive to impacts and making the entire thing more stable which is especially important when firing an artillery barrage. The craft's engines are also worked on, making them reliable in wet weather, making the air intakes smaller so as to allow the cannons to traverse fully, and additional work is done on the stabilizing legs to make them better at further stabilizing the craft during fire. Should there not be enough time for all of these improvements, the skirt receives the most priority, then the engines, then the air intakes and stabilizing legs.

Quote from: Votebox
Revisions:

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (1): Thanik

Flag Proposals (Multiple Votes Allowed!)

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- National (1): Thanik
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (2): Thanik, Jilladilla
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
- Hammer and Sickle (1): Thanik
Iteration V (0):
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:22 pm »

It's the best we're going to get, it seems. I think it's reaching a bit, but hey, I'm more of a slow and steady sort of person, usually.
Revisions:

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (2): Thanik, Jilladilla

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- National (1): Thanik
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (2): Thanik, Jilladilla
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »

Revisions:

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (3): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- National (2): Thanik, Pavellius
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (3): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):

Edit: Flag vote
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:46:17 pm by Pavellius »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »

To increase the reliability of the Qi-Chu, the skirt is separated into 12 vertical compartments, all of which are divided by lightly armored metal sheets - making it more resistant to enemy fire and making the loss of a single compartment less damaging, since the vehicle could run on the others, allowing it to travel over the sea much more safely. The skirt itself is improved so as to be less sensitive to impacts and making the entire thing more stable which is especially important when firing an artillery barrage. The craft's engines are also worked on, making them reliable in wet weather, making the air intakes smaller so as to allow the cannons to traverse fully, and additional work is done on the stabilizing legs to make them better at further stabilizing the craft during fire. Should there not be enough time for all of these improvements, the skirt receives the most priority, then the engines, then the air intakes and stabilizing legs.
I think that trying to revise too much will be too difficult, and we could end up with a bunch of bugs. By keeping it simple, any bugs we'd get would be less severe, and limited to only 1 system.

I propose that we only revise the rubber skirt, because it's the most pressing problem we have. The engines only need to be covered to keep out a majority of the rain, and air intakes & braces are less of a priority because some commanders don't even use the gun. Additionally, if our improved rubber skirts can prevent high waves from deflating our air cushion, we'll be able to take ocean this turn.

Xi-51c Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision)
To increase the reliability of the Qi-Chu, the skirt is separated into 12 vertical compartments, all of which are divided by lightly armored metal sheets - making it more resistant to enemy fire and making the loss of a single compartment less damaging, since the vehicle could run on the others, allowing it to travel over the sea much more safely. The skirt itself is improved so as to be less sensitive to impacts and making the entire thing more stable which is especially important when firing an artillery barrage.

PFP

Revisions:

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (3): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Xi-51c Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (1): Tomas

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (3): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:28 pm »

I think that trying to revise too much will be too difficult, and we could end up with a bunch of bugs. By keeping it simple, any bugs we'd get would be less severe, and limited to only 1 system.

I propose that we only revise the rubber skirt, because it's the most pressing problem we have. The engines only need to be covered to keep out a majority of the rain, and air intakes & braces are less of a priority because some commanders don't even use the gun. Additionally, if our improved rubber skirts can prevent high waves from deflating our air cushion, we'll be able to take ocean this turn.

To increase the reliability of the Qi-Chu, the skirt is separated into 12 vertical compartments, all of which are divided by lightly armored metal sheets - making it more resistant to enemy fire and making the loss of a single compartment less damaging, since the vehicle could run on the others, allowing it to travel over the sea much more safely. The skirt itself is improved so as to be less sensitive to impacts and making the entire thing more stable which is especially important when firing an artillery barrage.

PFP

Your fear is unfounded, as the revision I proposed is prioritized so if we roll low, only the stuff that was prioritized is made so we don't get buggy stuff. It maximizes potential gain while limiting loss on a bad roll.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »

Revisions:

Xi-51b Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (3): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Taricus
Xi-51c Qi-Chu (Reliability Revision) (1): Tomas

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (4): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Taricus
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2018, 05:41:12 pm »

To increase the reliability of the Qi-Chu, the skirt is separated into 12 vertical compartments, all of which are divided by lightly armored metal sheets
I am not exactly certain what is being described here. Is it, like, if you looked from below, it would be a honeycomb of metal ridges under the craft with a separate and complete skirt contained within each compartment?
Or is it a single skirt with metal ridges dividing the craft's entire underside into radial wedges?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2018, 07:55:04 pm »

Hard Difficulty: 4
The Xi-51 Qi-Chu (now referred to as the Xi-51b Qi-Chu) had previously utilized two separate rubber sheets to form its skirt in order to appropriately channel airflow.  When met with an obstacle, the outer side of the skirt would bend inward; it was previously expected that the displaced airflow would force the skirt back into position.  After some testing we reveal that the decreased distance between the two sheets actually decreases airflow in that section, lowering the skirts internal pressure and leading to more air loss.  As the craft would be sagging over this area by then, that would further increase external pressure and cause the skirt to catastrophically fail.  The solution is to use a single rubber sheet, going from the edge of the craft back to the underside in an almost tear-drop shape.  Vents cut into the lower side of the tear-drop allow the airflow to get beneath the craft.  This allows the skirt to apply pressure against an outside force and prevent a catastrophic collapse, and even climb over obstacles as high as the skirt itself.

We then go on to segment the skirt into 8 isolated components to allow for redundancy against enemy fire, dividing the underside of the craft into 2x4 skirt cushions.  While it will reduce the crafts overall speed to lose one, a hovercraft shouldn't be rendered immobile by a single bullet any more.  Though the improvements to the skirt should make the Qi-Chu more reliable, it will still struggle with hills and it is still an entirely unarmored craft.  Furthermore, after doing some quick calculations we've determined that the Qi-Chu will be unsuitable as TC unless the size is scaled way up; the Qi-Chu is not suitable for off-shore operations at its current size and fuel consumption.

We are unable to make improve the engines, air intakes, and stabilizing legs in time this year.

It is now the Strategy Phase.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »

Quote from: Strategy Votes
Badlands (1): Lightforger
Fjords (1): Lightforger

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »

Strategy Votes:

Mountains (0):
Badlands (2): Thanik, Lightforger
Fjords (2): Thanik, Lightforger
Sea (0):

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (4): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Taricus
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:20 pm »

Strategy Votes:

Mountains (0):
Badlands (3): Thanik, Lightforger, Tomasque
Fjords (3): Thanik, Lightforger, Tomasque
Sea (0):

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (5): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Taricus, Tomasque
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »

Strategy Votes:

Mountains (0):
Badlands (4): Thanik, Lightforger, Tomasque, Pavellius
Fjords (4): Thanik, Lightforger, Tomasque, Pavellius
Sea (0):

Iteration I (0):
Iteration II
- Golden (0):
- Large (0):
Iteration III
- Without Dragon (0):
- With Dragon (5): Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Taricus, Tomasque
Iteration IV
- Original (0):
- Gold (0):
- Red (0):
Iteration V (0):

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:28 pm »

Combat Phase
Summer 1951
Turn 2

Flags: Both Nogrania and Toskesh have proudly produced flags to represent their country, both on the battlefield and in the U.N.  Investors are reassured by the fact that we are an actual, real country with a real, cool-looking flag, and we have gained +1 point to our Economic Development Track.

Spoiler: flags (click to show/hide)

Technological Developments

Nogrania has built the NAF-AFW-51 "Hippo" Hexapod, a six-legged light tank walker.  It features new innovations in walker technology, allowing the craft to walk along similar to an ant at a rather impressive rate - even outrunning fully-equipped infantrymen on foot.  It can turn and run in reverse, though they haven't quite gotten the hang of turning while moving yet.  It features other ground-breaking innovations such as a hydraulic turret and a roomy interior for more ammo storage.  It also features the 2" Ironcaster as the main armament and the body is fully enclosed with Light armor, though the legs are only clad in Thin armor.  This is remedied somewhat by the tank being able to operate at a reduced speed when one or two legs are taken out, but the Hippo doesn't stand up particularly well to damage.

For their revision Nogrania has refitted their Herald-class Destroyer into the NAF-UV-51 "Whale", a utility vessel for transporting raw materials.  The guns, armor, conning tower, and most of the deck has been removed, allowing cargo to be stacked inside.  It has some issues with balance, but works well in calmer waters. Most importantly, it allows Nogrania to utilize the Oil resource provided to them by the U.N.

Nogrania Military
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toskesh has designed a remarkably effective semi-automatic rifle this year; the Xi-52 Dài-I Zha-Buqiang.  It fires 8 mm rounds out of a thirty-round staggered-load magazine, uses a long-strong gas piston to cycle the bolt, and has a stamped-metal receiver.  It's largely metal in construction with a sturdy wooden stock, which soldiers tend to wrap fabric around to help cushion recoil.  It features two rails, one on top above the receiver and one on the underside of the barrel.  These are for mounting optical scopes and foregrips/bipods, respectively - though Toskesh does not have any sort of scopes for now.  It's reasonably accurate, and the 8 mm cartridges features blue and red on the bottom, making it look really patriotic.  Rarely, the bolt will not close completely by the time the operator depresses the trigger, causing an out-of-battery firing.  When asked why it was called the Xi-52 when the current year was 1951, the lead engineer responded by saying it was the "rifle of the future" and also to "stop asking questions." 

For their revision, they've upgraded their Xi-51 Qi-Chu to the Xi-51b Qi-Chu.  The rubber skirt has been improved with a tear-drop shape to prevent it from collapsing when met with high obstacles.  The skirt is also divided into eight isolated components, in order to prevent the entire thing from collapsing when damaged.  It will still sag and slow down, but a single bullet isn't enough to bring it down any more.

Toskesh Military
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41