Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105214 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »

I am going to share about my thoughts on Star Wars TLJ now, and not get involved in MRA discussions.

I liked Rose well enough until she literally destroys the last hope of the Rebel Alliance by stopping Finn from taking out the siege cannon. Without Luke-ex-Machina every last rebel would have died. That is not "how we win". Alone and mortally injured on a salt flat with no supplies, support or shelter and a great view of the death of everyone you know are some very specific losing conditions, Rose.

That's like if I went into a restaurant and took a long whiz on the grill then dramatically proclaimed "This is how you cook".

I enjoyed her character as the idealistic peppy rebel because we need those and I like that. I didn't even mind the saving the space horseys bit, superfluous as it all was. Why'd they have to make her do this. Why u do this Rose.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2018, 08:09:58 pm »

Rose was a very poorly written character with little legitimate background or personality. Sure, she says things that are relevant to who she is when it is conveniently related to the task at hand, but she has no real character spine, flip flopping between becoming a hero, falling in love with Finn, and uh... being actual self-insert Rian Johnson fan fiction.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 23, 2018, 12:34:51 pm »

or a "surprise, Snoke is alive" move. Many people actually seem to be considering this. Im this scenario, Fake Luke would be foreshadowing.

TBH I think its bad writing either way

The director of the movie said that Snoke is dead dead, he's not bringing him back or anything.

As for Rose, not sure what the point was of showing her sister who had the counterpart to her amulet without going much into the connection. I don't think she ever talks about her sister even once in the movie.

Also, the amulet which she inexplictibly trades away (she does get it back later) just happening to be the most awesomest conductor material seems a little too convenient.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:39:12 pm by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:18 pm »

The director of the movie said that Snoke is dead dead, he's not bringing him back or anything.

Totally dead? You mean like Jon Snow?

Anyway, BOTH would be poor writing :p
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »

Rose was a very poorly written character with little legitimate background or personality. Sure, she says things that are relevant to who she is when it is conveniently related to the task at hand, but she has no real character spine, flip flopping between becoming a hero, falling in love with Finn, and uh... being actual self-insert Rian Johnson fan fiction.
Is that the character who stopped Finn from saving all of his friends and then lectured him about how he ought to fight to defend his friends?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:42 pm »

Is that the character who stopped Finn from saving all of his friends and then lectured him about how he ought to fight to defend his friends?

Enjoy-joy your slow, wasting death on these burning salt flats. That feeling? It's is all the moisture in your body evacuating. Feels like winning.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:20 pm »

So disclaimer, I don't think Kylo Ren's actor looks particularly odd and the shirtless scene meant nothing to me except a chuckle.

Now that we've got that out of the way, this video about the shirtless scene is hilarious.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:33 pm »

So disclaimer, I don't think Kylo Ren's actor looks particularly odd and the shirtless scene meant nothing to me except a chuckle.

Now that we've got that out of the way, this video about the shirtless scene is hilarious.

Why did people have a problem with that. I didn't even think about it until i read about people not liking it on the internet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2018, 03:52:34 pm »

It's not that bad, he's just a strong dude. The weird part is him being shirtless, not the fact that he could fight a bear.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »

Also, the amulet which she inexplictibly trades away (she does get it back later) just happening to be the most awesomest conductor material seems a little too convenient.
Basically it was a "give up your most precious relic (just because some dude asked you for it, without explanation) and not only will it turn out to be a worthy sacrifice for the cause but you'll also get it back anyway" faith/morality thing.

Maybe it was another "trust the unspoken plans of other people" thing, except of course that the person involved was of notably fungible trustworthiness, somewhat revoking the "angels with dirty faces" lesson that we thought we were learning.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:55:00 pm by Starver »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

It's not that bad, he's just a strong dude. The weird part is him being shirtless, not the fact that he could fight a bear.

But why is even that weird? RotJ had metal bikini time, not to mention an actual exotic dancer that got eaten by the Rancor. That sort of thing is fairly normal in the Star Wars universe.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2018, 04:21:21 pm »

Adam Driver isn't actually wide is the thing.  Check out the shirtless scene from the movie compared to him shirtless from the internet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's not "wide" at all.  Its those high waisted, flat as a board pants.  Like seriously, they're past the bellybutton.  It creates the illusion that he's way shorter than he actually is, thus making him look wide.  The pants combined with those abs make him look a bit like a pancake.

Again, none of this bothers me and I think he looks fine in the movie.  Star Wars characters have always had fashion sense that is more "interesting" than strictly "good."

Or are you talking about shirtless Kylo in general?  I don't think it bothered most people but you know.  There's always the "being straight means I should never look at attractive men" crowd.  Its like the Joker said in The Dark Knight.  "You put a couple green alien strippers on the screen and nobody bats an eye.  But you show one angsty teen badboy, and everyone loses their minds!"  Also ever since that ridiculous moment where Kylo took off his helmet and his poofy hair came out, he's been a meme.  Although that group is, I suspect, not bothered so much as entertained.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:11 pm »

But why is even that weird? RotJ had metal bikini time, not to mention an actual exotic dancer that got eaten by the Rancor. That sort of thing is fairly normal in the Star Wars universe.

Ya, but there was logic behind it. You're just observing the end effect without taking into account everything behind it. A.) You can cross exotic dancer off that list because that's common to many movies to establish a seedy setting. B.) Bikini Leia is most definitely fan-service, but at least it makes sense because Jabba is a pig and he's made her a slave, most SW women aren't wandering around shirtless. Shirtless Kylo is just chilling without so much as an inkling of why.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »

I just sort of also filed it under fan service reasoning. Deploying shirtless hunk in 2, 1, scene end. That sort of thing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »

wide bois is the only good thing to come out of this film
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 81