Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105209 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #420 on: January 26, 2018, 03:34:21 am »

Well why couldn't the connection stay after Snoke died?

If he just plugged a Force cord in there's no reason it couldn't stay plugged in even if he died
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 26, 2018, 07:48:35 am »

Well why couldn't the connection stay after Snoke died?

If he just plugged a Force cord in there's no reason it couldn't stay plugged in even if he died

Yeah I was just going to say. If he made a force bond between them there's no reason it couldn't persist beyond his death.

The bigger issue I think is how did he manage to create such a bond in the first case.

Star Wars Ep 8 == Highlander 2 ??

Lol no. Don't be ridiculous.

Although Highlander 2 is a great example of why Destroy the Past is a stupid motto.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 26, 2018, 02:14:21 pm »

What if he wasn't really shirtless? What if Snoke, as the facilitator of the connection, made him look shirtless to create confusion?!?! That's why it looked so unnatural.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 26, 2018, 03:19:22 pm »

What if he wasn't really shirtless? What if Snoke, as the facilitator of the connection, made him look shirtless to create confusion?!?! That's why it looked so unnatural.

The Dark Side is all about passion, right?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 26, 2018, 04:02:35 pm »

In other news, speculation abounds that the Rotten Tomatoes ratings are being targeted by either trolls or bots.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-ratings-bots_us_5a38cb78e4b0860bf4aab5b1
http://www.newsweek.com/did-alt-right-tank-star-wars-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-score-trump-fan-unhappy-754901
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/16792184/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-review-bomb

To summarize the general points, no one has reached any hard conclusions.  On the "it was not review bombed" side, Rotten Tomatoes claims it can prevent bots from posting reviews, 4chan posters seem to most believe it wasn't them (although some claim it was), and there definitely are a good chunk of real people who dislike the movie.  On the other hand some people from the alt-right have come out claiming to have launched bot attacks, the negative RT reviews seem to come from a more alt-right perspective (AKA calling out "SJWs") than the movie's critics on the rest of the internet which would seem to agree with that.  To quote one person who claimed to have used bots to post reviews on RT, "I'm sick of men being portrayed as idiots.  There was a time when we ruled society and I'd like to see us restored to that position."  Yeah I... don't think that's what most people's takeaway from the TLJ was, even the people who disliked it.  A bunch of self-similar negative reviews for SW were left on the The Shape of Water, which while we can all agree that that would be a terrible SW movie does seem a bit suspicious (although RT offered their own explanation).  Rotten Tomatoes PR staff has put forward that whenever something strange happens someone will always retroactively take credit for it, which seems plausible to me.

The thing that has everyone most scratching their heads is that people who use statistical methods to conduct exit reviews of people leaving the theatre, which is usually an accurate predictor of audience response, gave TLJ high ratings.  Cinemascore for example gave the movie an A using methods similar to exit polls in US elections.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:00 pm »

We know that you can Force-Project a tailored image. Want to be shown as holding a lightsabre that you don't actually have in your possession? Just do it. You're sat on a rock, but your image is walking around, so it's not like you need to have a Pacific Rim-like rig to soak up your outward movements and lets you translate those into your avatarial presence (translated, rather than up-sized in place).

Reskinning an image should be trivial (FCVOTrivial) especiqlly if it truly is someone else's link to create. Also possible, though less simple, is doing a full Man In The Middle reworking of the conversation so that each side of the abetted conversation actually gets a different understanding about the focus of the apparently-direct conversation, getting different 'feelings' from the interaction (at the pleasure of Force-Eve - or, rather, Mallory).

By the way, Luke's own actions show that Snoke could as easily have entirely faked his Throne Room presence. Either knowing/hoping how it would go down, or just rolling with the scenario as it progressed. Kylo didn't detect the subterfuge later (until it was obvious, and emphasised by one large and one personal attack 'failing') so he and Rey might well have missed a less obvious prior version, that was flavoured by the appearwnce of an attack' succeeding'.

(Not in reply to the message just above, where I just had to mentally adjust "RT" to Rotten Tomatoes rather than Russia Today, in my head, when reading the post posted while composing this unrelated reply.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 26, 2018, 04:22:47 pm »

The Dark Side is all about passion, right?
no, rhythm.
One wheel short of a wagon

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #427 on: January 26, 2018, 06:20:46 pm »

Hmm. So has anyone seen any evidence of negative reviews being covered up or suppressed? Someone I know on mastodon has posted some screenshots showing his posts on Birth Movies Death being deleted. I wondered if theres anything like that on other sites? :/

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 26, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »

If anything, it seems that the opposite is occuring.  Negative reviews on various sites follow some odd patterns and people have taken credit for using bots to bomb sites with many negative TLJ reviews.  Their claims have not been confirmed however and the site that's prompting the most debate (Rotten Tomatoes) has come out to say that they don't think there are bots being used.  The overall trend is that people on the internet are reviewing the movie a lot worse than people who were polled in meatspace when they exited the theatre.

On the other page I linked a few articles about this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:32:10 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2018, 05:52:52 am »

I think that disparity mostly stems from the fact that the movie gets worse the more you think about it and the holes in plot and logic it has. Like, I thought it was mostly okay with some stupid and silly things but over a period of a week or so and after discussing it with others I've come to pretty much loathe the damn thing and just how terrible it is :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2018, 07:17:40 am »

Like a seafood platter, rather than a continental cheeseboard. Best eaten fresh, an amount of time left at room temperature does not improve the final experience.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2018, 12:10:00 pm »

I was a lot of fun to watch and had some flat out ridiculous plot points combined with some extremely poorly thought out writing.

Still fun to watch.

I think that sums it up.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »

I certainly did not have a bad time watching it. Some of the visuals were bloody fantastic too.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 27, 2018, 11:10:12 pm »

did rogue one ruin people on star wars or something (by being excellent but weird)

the entire series was a big solid hunk of cheese before then, not much changed, except maybe that the movie was longer than it needed to be, which... yeah, the other example is episode 2, which is hot garbage, so that's fair

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 27, 2018, 11:27:41 pm »

I thought Rogue One was way better than 7 and 8.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 81