Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 65020 times)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #510 on: January 07, 2018, 08:33:39 pm »

Quote from: voting
Basic Cloaking Device: (3) NUKE9.13, Shadowclaw, sprinkled chariot
Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (3) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds, Puppyguard
Psionic Signal Amplifier: (1) TopHat
Actually, after thinking about it some more I think we really do need infantry more than cloaking. Cloaking in its current state won't help us on the ground and it seems like we have the air covered so far.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »

Basic Cloaking Device: (3) NUKE9.13, Shadowclaw, sprinkled chariot
Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (4) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
Just a friendly reminder the Heavy fighter can be done in a revision, abet with some probable difficulty.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2018, 03:41:01 am »

Their railguns shred our infantry through cover, I don't feel like genetically built in protection can save us from such weaponry.

Ebbor did our sectoids take samples of their
Railguns, when we won on land one mission ago ?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2018, 04:17:41 am »

In the gameplay sense, no, as you didn't get such a token.
In fluff, sure.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2018, 04:44:52 am »

Okay, look, I recognise the need for a frontline unit. I still think cloaking our ships would be slightly better, but whatever.
But can we please not deploy slightly-modified humans? That goes against the flavour of the game like nobody's business, and would be harder than deploying aliens besides.
You want medium infantry, do a proper alien. Like this:

Lesser Muton: Despite the unfortunate corruption of our gene banks (or whatever other explanation there is for us not being able to instantly deploy the aliens' usual roster), we still possess the majority of the Muton species' DNA. Rebuilding the original genetic structure would be tricky, but fortunately we can take a short-cut, by splicing in bits of other species' DNA to fill in the gaps. Anything that will fit, really, be it Alien or Earthish in origin.
The result is not quite as impressive as the Mutons we once knew, but it is still a formidable specimen. 7ft tall, intensely muscled, clad in substantial combat armour, what we are calling the Lesser Muton is still expected to be capable of taking a serious beating, thanks to the special bone and muscle structure that protects vital organs and arteries. Their prodigious strength let them wield heavier weaponry than Sectoids and throw grenades further, whilst the genetic memory of their warrior culture instils in them natural tactical proficiency.
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2018, 05:48:33 am »

Switch my vote to the lesser muton when someone updates the votebox, I'm to tired to do it right now...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 08, 2018, 06:05:07 am »

That goes against the flavour of the game like nobody's business, and would be harder than deploying aliens besides.
I disagree. The flavour of the game is to design things as aliens to beat XCom, not follow the XCom games like a bible.

Literally the only difference in the end result between the Light Muton and the Brute is that the Brute actually has a chance of passing for a human under casual inspection, which as a hostile, insurgent force, we want to be able to do.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2018, 06:20:19 am »

That goes against the flavour of the game like nobody's business, and would be harder than deploying aliens besides.
I disagree. The flavour of the game is to design things as aliens to beat XCom, not follow the XCom games like a bible.
I'm not saying we should follow the games like a bible. Indeed, I have suggested we shouldn't, that we should endeavour to do things differently from the games.
But we should do things that could plausibly exist in a new XCOM game. The aliens deploying Advent in the second month of the invasion is not plausible.

Literally the only difference in the end result between the Light Muton and the Brute is that the Brute actually has a chance of passing for a human under casual inspection, which as a hostile, insurgent force, we want to be able to do.
No, we already have an infiltration unit. We don't want to spend resources making a jack of all trades with this design, we want a dedicated front-line fighter. If we try to make it disguisable, we are liable to end up with a weaker, smaller unit.

Also, the end result is not all that matters. The journey- in this case the difficulty of the design- is also important. And it is an established fact that working with alien DNA is easier for us than working with human DNA. A design that is 80% human+20% alien is going to be harder than one that is 20% human+80% alien.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:52 am »

+1 to lesser Muton.

I am new to this forum, so I don´t really know how to update the voting box

Anyway, guys, what about for the next project we try to revise the sectoids so they can act as a sort of psionic array? Think of it like linking CPU´s to make a supercomputer or those big internet projects where you can lend your computer so it can help calculate prime numbers or whatever.

The idea would be a revision that helps sectoids do a colossal mind merge which can be done from our base or on the ground. This idea would permit having a very powerful array on our base while permitting us to form them on the ground as well, although with revised effectiveness. They would allow us to tranmit, receive and pinpoint psionic signals (or even radio waves, if we are ambitious)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 08, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »

Basic Cloaking Device: (1) Shadowclaw
Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (2) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds,
Lesser Muton(4) Puppyguard, Piratejoe, sprinkled chariot, NUKE9.13
Assuming nuke hopped on the lesser muton train since he offered the design.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »

Well, not necessarily.

Also, you moved sprinkled chariot's vote for no reason.

Basic Cloaking Device: (2(3)) Shadowclaw, sprinkled chariot, (NUKE9.13)
Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (2) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds,
Lesser Muton(4(3)) Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Wizgrot, NUKE9.13

Since it wouldn't be fair for BCD to win because the infantry vote was split, I will vote for the Lesser Muton. However, if more people vote for the BCD, I will switch back. Hence the weird formatting.
If people would rather not do weird voting shenanigans, my vote will stay on the BCD.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2018, 04:14:39 pm »

Also, you moved sprinkled chariot's vote for no reason.
Oh snap, sorry sprinkled, confused you with Wizgrot.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:17 pm »

The idea would be a revision that helps sectoids do a colossal mind merge which can be done from our base or on the ground. This idea would permit having a very powerful array on our base while permitting us to form them on the ground as well, although with revised effectiveness. They would allow us to tranmit, receive and pinpoint psionic signals (or even radio waves, if we are ambitious)

That actually sounds like a very good idea, probably more useful than mine. r.e. the votebox, probably to easiest way to do it is to quote the last person to vote (can be done either from the thread or using 'insert quote' directly from the post), optionally delete everything except the section within
Quote from: voting ... /quote
, and then add your vote.

Speaking of which, in light of the collective decision to leave the anomaly till later, I'll change mine.
Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (3) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds, TopHat
Lesser Muton(4(3)) Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Wizgrot, NUKE9.13
Psionic Signal Amplifier:

The Brute/Muton debate comes back to the goals thing I mentioned earlier. If we want to focus on infiltration moving onwards, the Brute will be more useful; otherwise the Lesser Muton is probably a better bet. I'm leaning towards the former approach myself, hence my vote.

Saying that, I am very tempted by the BCD, though my worry is that although it'll reduce the chance of being detected whilst flying there'll still be a significant chance of discovery of the ground mission in progress, especially a harvest. The temptation comes partly from the fact that if we can gather a DNA token this turn it'd greatly benefit the new unit, potentially saving a revision.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »

Heavy Fighter
Light Bomber
Tactical Bombing:
"Brute" Medium Infantry: (2) Kashyyk, SamSpeeds, TopHat
Lesser Muton(5(4)) Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Wizgrot, NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds
Psionic Signal Amplifier:

Yeah, on second neuron fire we should really be devoting as much as possible to getting a BIG BOY FRONTLINER since we are severely lacking there, and we already gotta ambusher. Also, if I messed up NUKE's weird ass schrodinger's votes im sorry bros. What's up for the revision? I vote a better weapon for our frontliners, like a Plasma Rifle.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:56 pm »

In battle we get our shit SNIPED, before sectoids could mentally reach or even see them. It would make sense to make something with long range.

ebbor

since fluffwise we got xcom stuff for analysis, especially railguns,
Do we get to know, what their railmemes are, like if it is auto or semiauto, if it has scope or thermals and stuff like that, if it has computer  augmented aiming, etc etc. Also what their operatives wear?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63