Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64992 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2018, 06:52:08 pm »

Well...Fuck. We really need mutons, cyberdisks, vipers, or something asap. We also might need to make a new fighter soon, as I think their own aircraft where able to maybe shoot down our craft....Ugh. This has gone to hell in a hand basket real fast. I would have thought the skin crawlers would do more but, it seems they did sweet FA... At least we slightly infiltrated Australia...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2018, 06:53:58 pm »

Skin Crawlers were not frontline, armored combatants. Nor were they specced to engage at range.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »

Yeah, I know that but I would have expected them to do a bit more. Honestly, if they managed to get in the ufo and wait for Xcom to enter it and have them deal with CQC then maybe they would have made Xcom's life a bit harder. Actually maybe that should be a new tactic...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2018, 07:08:29 pm »

Maybe we could just revise the Medium Fighter with some air-to-ground Plasma Cannon revisions, make it more deadly against the ground troops in the Skyrangers if they think just landing their Skyrangers without aerial support is a good idea. Actually wouldn't that be a good design? creating a UFO Production Facility so that we can get some more VPs? Yes it's boring compared to something like Mutons or cyberdiscs, but we will be able to deploy more UFOs. Which will make Xcom day a lot more scarier compared to just giving them Mutons.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 06, 2018, 07:10:48 pm »

Alternatively. We can Design something to triangulate the psionic signal and Revise our Sectoids to have armor.

Or Revise a variant of Sectoid to be frontliners with armor.

Honestly that psi signal is High Priority. We can ignore introducing new units for a turn in favor of locating it.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 06, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »

I still say we should make a new front line troop, revise our fighters with turrets to shoot down and the psi signal? Meh we got the best brains in the universe, just not using them all yet.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »

Mm yah lets deal with the signal later.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 06, 2018, 08:13:44 pm »

So: Our fighters won the air combat though suffering some damage in the process, but were unable to then shoot down X-Com's troop carriers (possibly due to the damage?) - not a good result given that they cost twice as much as X-Com's craft, which would probably win at two-to-one odds. Our own light UFOs are about equal to, if not slightly better than, their Skyrangers one to one, which is fine but nit great. Our aerial advantage is in the balance. On the ground we were heavily outnumbered in terrain which negated our short-range advantage and were duly trounced. I'm afraid that I've failed to resist the urge to say I told you so and that we'd likely have got better results splitting up. But enough of that.

I'd guess that It's entirely possible that the psionic activity is X-Com's, in which case their playing-field-levelling new aircraft weapon was only a revision and we could be in serious trouble. They'll probably replace missiles in their fighter loadout with more of the things and thus negate our ECM for free. This could, then, be a valuable opportunity to locate their base, or something else entirely. In either case the signal will probably continue for a while, so I'm not sure it'll be worth putting off major ground improvements for. Though I suppose a DNA token would be very useful if we decide to make the Brute, not that there's a guarantee we'll get one next turn. We may also get some triangulation on the signal by sending Sectoid missions to different corners of the globe, come to think of it, if they're sensitive enough.

On the ground I doubt just up-armouring the sectoids will suffice, especially as it will almost certainly increase their cost anyway. I also have a couple of ideas for potentially useful revisions and will put them up tomorrow, as well as a delayed response  on goals; It's getting late and this post is long enough already.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:35 pm »

If we revise the medium fighter with a cannon to shoot down, call it a Light bomber. Anyway, finding where the psionics are coming from is a good idea but I feel if we don't do something on the ground front, we will just get a repeat of this year. Making our fighter a light bomber veriant would be a good step to help our soldiers on the ground but I think it wont be enough, especially considering how many skyrangers they can send, and even when we disable them, their squad survives, or at least it did in the last battle.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:38 pm »

Future: 2 missions, one base idea, myvrevised muton equalivent, And no new trooper Weapons.

Revision should have air to ground.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 06, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »

So here's a question. Why in the hells are we using LOS direct fire weaponry on our voidcraft?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2018, 01:36:17 am »

Psi armour

This humble suit truly proves concept of mind over matter.
From first glance it is just sectoid sized alloy armour with servo motors not connected to anything. 
But it's insides are  covered by psychoconducting
Circuits, so motors ehnace strength and movement of gifted user, and armour itself is hardened by psychic might of occupant.
Helmet is enclosed and has built in psyfocus to let person inside reach out for greater distances with their mind or focus all their strength in searing mental ray.

Burner of worlds

Fairly simple design consisting of alloy tube filled with etherium and computer triggering explosion upon reaching surface or water. Sometimes you just have to be straight and brutal to primitives.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 07, 2018, 03:08:44 am »

Well...Fuck. We really need mutons, cyberdisks, vipers, or something asap. We also might need to make a new fighter soon, as I think their own aircraft where able to maybe shoot down our craft....Ugh. This has gone to hell in a hand basket real fast. I would have thought the skin crawlers would do more but, it seems they did sweet FA... At least we slightly infiltrated Australia...

Their skyrangers downed your UFO while your fighters were busy. By the time they were no longer busy, the AI decided that the ground battle was pointless anyway and buggered of.

At the same time, your Skin Crawlers managed to pretty much eliminate 2 XCOM squads, sadly, there were more, and they got eliminated by the last group + air support.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:30 am »

Wait. They can use air support but we can't use air support? Don't we literally have antigrav and inertialess propulsion? Why can't we just sorta. Aim the fighters at ground targets?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 07, 2018, 03:24:43 am »

They designed a mission profile focusing specifically on air support.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 63