Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64911 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #345 on: December 31, 2017, 02:42:50 pm »

I've been trying to just observe, but I had a (possibly controversial) idea I couldn't keep sitting on.

You guys want a unit that blends in well with humans, can hold their own in combat and is cheap. What you guys want is a human.

Obviously we have human DNA now, so all we need to do is batch clone humans and then psychologically program them with whatever skills we want and an unwavering loyalty in the Ethereal cause. If you're particularly worried about them going rogue we can make them reliant on some Ethereal produced drug (like how human organ transplant patients must take medication forever to prevent transplant rejection).

Human clones can obviously blend in well with humans, and won't put potential human allies servants off. We can also replace certain humans with clones if needed.

Human clones will obviously be able to compete with Xcom humans and the potential morale penalty of having to fight their own will be effective too.

They'll also be super easy to produce, because we're not changing them from base human DNA.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:53:24 pm by Kashyyk »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 31, 2017, 02:46:43 pm »

For shits and giggles. Make em think they're mutons.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »

Kevak, why do you want thinmen so badly? Vipers are just better. I know you want better mobility but when that mobility is just being able to jump up a story tall floor in exchange for being killed by a stray pistol round and not being able to take as much of a hit as our current sectoids well...that generally considered bad. Also, I should mention that Vipers are still agile, and probably have extreme reaction times considering they are able to dodge shots that would normally hit dead on and make it only a grazing shot...And they can climb ladders and drainage pipes without issue so I feel as if mobility issues aren't really a thing...

As for have normal humans as a unit. I feel as if it is a flawless idea, though having them think they are mutons, while frankly hilarious, would probably be a bad idea both for them interacting with humans and in combat.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 31, 2017, 04:07:08 pm »

Guys no. We can't deploy humans. We're aliens. If we must, we can deploy Advent-esque human-passing units.
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2017, 04:12:37 pm »

You know, I just realized...If we want a different human unit, we might want to take up the old vote box and change it...since that's still a thing and we all decided we wanted octodad skin crawlers at the time...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »

What's wrong with Octodads?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 31, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »

Nothing, its just after all this debate, people might want to change their votes. And the last time the vote box was brought up was a few pages ago so its just a reminder.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 31, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Design
Skin Crawler:
  -Using 2 DNA Tokens: (6) NUKE9.13, Puppyguard, Failbird105, SamSpeeds, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe

Month-End Bonus
VP spent on Small Scout: (4) NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
This is from page 20 when piratejoe last updated the votebox.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »

Ignore

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »

...Right there... I take it you got ninja'd...

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 31, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Design
Skin Crawler:
  -Using 2 DNA Tokens: (6)NUKE9.13, Puppyguard, Failbird105, SamSpeeds, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe

Month-End Bonus
VP spent on Small Scout: (5)NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Pirate Joe Tyrant Leviathan
This is from page 20 when piratejoe last updated the votebox.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »

Kevak, why do you want thinmen so badly? Vipers are just better. I know you want better mobility but when that mobility is just being able to jump up a story tall floor in exchange for being killed by a stray pistol round and not being able to take as much of a hit as our current sectoids well...that generally considered bad. Also, I should mention that Vipers are still agile, and probably have extreme reaction times considering they are able to dodge shots that would normally hit dead on and make it only a grazing shot...And they can climb ladders and drainage pipes without issue so I feel as if mobility issues aren't really a thing...

As for have normal humans as a unit. I feel as if it is a flawless idea, though having them think they are mutons, while frankly hilarious, would probably be a bad idea both for them interacting with humans and in combat.

Pirate. Idunno what game you were playing but 'a stray pistol round' will not kill a thinman. It'll injure one sure, but a 'stray pistol round' will also injure a viper just as much. Vipers are not superior skirmishers. You're trying to play off 'being able to leap multiple story buildings' as 'just x' but it's not 'just x.' I'm not sure if you realize the tactical implications of a unit capable of flat out bypassing walls, not even accounting for if we oh lets say. Give them snipers or shotguns and play up their 'skirmisher' role even further. Vipers lack the platform stability for sniping duty and they lack the tactical mobility to compete with thinmen in the skirmishing capacity. Their relative fragility compared to vipers notwithstanding, you do not build a skirmisher with the intent of them getting hit. You build one with the intent of 'not' getting hit. Hence the 'high mobility.' and 'Attack from Unexpected angles.

And yes. They can leap multiple story buildings. As can Chryssalids and Berserkers for that matter.

Lets go over the specifics of what vipers are better at than Thinmen.

-Rapid reaction: So they're an overwatcher that's hardish to hit and knows to duck behind cover when someone takes a potshot. This is good in a Frontline Combatant. It's nice to have in a skirmisher too, but there is nothing stopping us from giving thinmen the same thing. Hell, since thinmen have Smaller Profiles they'd be even harder to hit if they had that. I will note though that mechanically speaking, Grazing Shots were not a thing in EU/EW1. Had they been, I'm rather certain thinmen would have received sufficient agility to make shots occasionally graze.

-Climbing ladders and drainage pipes are all well and fine, but what about when there isn't a ladder or a drainage pipe? Such as oh I don't know. A military complex's walls. Or a rather significant number of modern day buildings? Mobility is Extremely important for skirmishers. Possibly Thee most important ability in fact. Snipers can't snipe from street level with ease after all. And it's far easier to get around a blockade by just hopping a building instead of having to search around for a drainpipe that isn't there.

-Not being able to take much of a hit. What? The hell are you talking about? Are we playing the same game? Thinmen by default would be about as durable as our current sectoids. By default thinmen have 5 health if I recall on Normal Difficulty in Vanilla (LW it's 6 and they get more health as the campaign progresses based on the alien research score). A default pistol does 2 damage and fires 3 shots in a single 2 damage attack. For comparison, a default sectoid has 3 health on Normal Difficulty in Vanilla (LW it's 4 and they gain health as the ayys research). So a default sectoid can also take three pistol rounds. For comparison. An unarmored rookie tier human has 4 health by default unless the 'not born equally' second wave setting is on. Rookies with tac armor get an additional 1 health, bringing the 'default redshirt rookie' up to 5 health. Not take a hit my ass. They don't have the 'stacks upon stacks' of health that everything in Xcom 2 does but they don't really need it. They're skirmishers. And nothing is stopping them from wearing bulletproof vests. They are shaped like humans after all.

Vipers are better than Thinmen as Frontline Combatants. However as Frontline Combatants they are inferior to Mutons, Cyberdiscs, and several other xenos. Vipers are explicitly Not better than Thinmen in the skirmisher role.

What's wrong with Octodads?
Nothing is wrong with Octodads. They're ambushers that'll do best paired with either skirmishers to lead foes into their trap or with frontliners to just make the combat zone significantly more hazardous for the foe. They'd be a great unit to add in the coming weeks in my view.

Design
Skin Crawler:
  -Using 2 DNA Tokens: (6)NUKE9.13, Puppyguard, Failbird105, SamSpeeds, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe, Kevak

Month-End Bonus
VP spent on Small Scout: (5)NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Pirate Joe Tyrant Leviathan, Kevak

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 31, 2017, 05:01:14 pm »

Design
Skin Crawler:
  -Using 2 DNA Tokens: (7)NUKE9.13, Puppyguard, Failbird105, SamSpeeds, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe, Kevak

Month-End Bonus
VP spent on Small Scout: (6)NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Pirate Joe, Tyrant Leviathan, Kevak
Fixed votebox.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 31, 2017, 05:21:21 pm »

Design
Skin Crawler:
  -Using 2 DNA Tokens: (7)NUKE9.13, Puppyguard, Failbird105, SamSpeeds, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe, Kevak
Human Clones: (1) Kashyyk

Month-End Bonus
VP spent on Small Scout: (6)NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Pirate Joe, Tyrant Leviathan, Kevak

Because why not human clones? Skin Crawlers just sound like an overly complicated way of getting something that looks like a human, when we could instead just use humans...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:25 pm »

Because why not human clones? Skin Crawlers just sound like an overly complicated way of getting something that looks like a human, when we could instead just use humans...
Because we're aliens.

Also, humans have immense latent psionic power. At our current tech level, indoctrinating them to the point of unquestioning, absolute obedience is not feasible. It may never be feasible. I mean, even Advent, which are as close to humans as XCOM aliens ever deploy, have the capacity to rebel- unmodified humans would be infinitely harder to control
Also also, I doubt we could even clone humans at present. DNA in XCOM works in weird ways- I suspect we'd need several DNA tokens to even attempt to clone humans. Which, again, we don't want to do.

Seriously. The name of the game is XCOM Arms Race. Aliens VS Humans. If I were ebbor, I would veto us using cloned humans without a second thought.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63