Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64901 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2017, 08:56:23 pm »

Hmm ok, well maybe make flying octopus that inject embryos. As for Mutons: We got to design armor for the Mutons. ( My description was Oldcom, which had green body suits.) in these games you gotta design “everything.”

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2017, 08:57:57 pm »

Thinmen can jump buildings and ledges about one story above them, yes...but otherwise, thinmen are much much much less durable. On the hardest difficulty, they have less health then what the viper in Xcom 2 has on the easiest difficulty. And it gets worse considering we basically have sectoids from Xcom 2 now, as its the same story when compared to sectoids. I get better mobility is great and all, but I would rather we not have a glass gun and instead just have a normal one.

Hmm ok, well maybe make flying octopus that inject embryos.
Again, they only worked underwater, not above water.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »

Let's just make cyberdiscs(or something similar), they can fly and have armor built in.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:17 pm »

Maybe we should make Seekers now that I think about it. We already have drones to base em on. They have an inbuilt plasma weapon, they are good for skirmishing, they can cloak, and they're good for restraining and strangling.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2017, 10:34:15 pm »

Design, Aliens, The Mindtwister
The Mindtwister is genetically a mixture between several species we have collected, finished off with the genetics of Humans, they take the form of nearly immobile Bags of flesh and organs with Several eyes and tentacles spaced equally around them. mentally their thoughts tend toward odd solutions to simple problems, for example when questioned what "1 + 1" was they have most often responded with that it was "the square root of 4". They have fairly great strength with the gift, and good focus when given an immediate problem to solve even though they lack mobility.

(Intended role: Gift user and General "On Site" command of any aliens sent with 'em)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »

The most terrifying flying unit we can create for the enemy team is both aerial and can cloak while having effective firepower like a heavy laser or plasma turret like that; the trick is that it waits before the enemy engages with the base infantry like octodads or sectoids; flanking them out of position and launches their  anti-personell missiles behind the enemies.

Yep, cyberdiscs with the ability to cloak, pretty terrifying...

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2017, 11:59:55 pm »

From combat report it seemed, that they get some special antidrone design or revision. As combat started with drones being instantly blasted

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2017, 12:45:05 am »

Actually, I completely forgot about Seekers, that's not a bad idea at all. It would be easier then a Cyberdisk and a good upgrade to our drones. Although I have to mention that their plasma weapon is a bit under powered, as the most effective thing seekers do is strangle...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2017, 02:13:25 am »

By the way, second combat report had xcom boarders assaulting our ships stopped by  power fields in ship.( before we took off and got missiled)

What about power field generators for craft, may be small scale personal shields or shielded cyberdiscs?

Also, did we loot xcom stuff for analysis in previous battle ?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:38 am »

Seeker plasma weapon is plascarbine tier. Aka a step above pistol (Which is what our sectoids are currently using.) It just normally never gets used because the AI is hardcoded to prioritize being cloaked as often as possible and prioritizes strangling over flanking shots on top of having shackles to prevent strangling more than one soldier per turn.

Long War removes those shackles and makes it consider if it's better to get a cheap shot in or not, as well as makes it consider cloaked overwatch. Seekers are much more robust in Long War due to those AI changes alone. Not to mention the fact that as they are robotic, they get DR.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »

Didn't play long war for Xcom 1, mostly because I barely played Xcom 1, 2 is my jam though (especially with WotC). Anyway I was thinking about things and had a random thought. What if our terror missions targeted military bases instead of just random cities full of civilians? Nothing says 'no one can stop us' more then a destroyed facility worth millions and millions of dollars. And doing so will make it so there will be more people to actually join us then if we just target random civilians. Besides, its not like current world military could do much against us, yet anyway.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:59:51 pm by piratejoe »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2017, 01:06:48 pm »

Well, for one thing, our current troops might actually have a hard time fighting an entire base's worth of conventional military. Later, when we have some proper fighters with good weapons and armour, we will probably be able to steamroll Earth's armies.
For another, whilst destroying military targets is valuable, I don't think it would cause as much raw panic as a proper terror mission.
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2017, 01:18:45 pm »

Thats debatable, but yeah, currently we would have a hard time. Im talking after we get mutons and other units that are decent fighters like vipers, cyberdisks, seekers, ect. Part of the reason I feel attacking a military base might be better is because our missions of recruiting people would go smoother and easier, as aliens only killing soldiers would be easier to associate with then aliens killing anyone in their path.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2017, 02:23:32 pm »

Agreed. Invade military bases. Though our harvest missions are mini terror in we are harvesting humans, which I think kills them. Terror and bombing would show off our power in xcom or their military not able to save them.

I say Muton, Viper, Seeker, or cyberdisc. We should upgrade guns after unit.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:37 pm »

Thought down the line: Seekers but with chryssalid egg implanter.

Seekers are already terrifying, but ones that make chryssalids too? Ohgodswhy.

Followup. Proposed plan of action:

Revise countermeasures to not disable our craft.

Design either seekers, thinmints, or mutons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:37:36 pm by Kevak »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 63