Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85658 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #975 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:40 pm »

Ask Ebbor that, not me.

I'm just relying the GM's explicit wording that there is a difference between crude alloy revision - what you want to do - and a design aimed at making proper armor. I don't know what exactly that constitutes, except that it's much harder and better.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 22, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »

If you don't know, and I don't know, then your point is entirely moot, because how are we going to achieve this if we don't even know what it is?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 22, 2018, 10:59:45 pm »

Because that’s what my design is. And that’s what yours isn’t.

Ebbor just used “proper armor” in a design to describe it, and my design makes that quite clear. There’s no reason to say it wouldn’t.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 22, 2018, 11:16:37 pm »

So, wait:

Your design is "proper armor" because it claims to be? What about my armor makes it not "proper armor"?

And can we please find a better term than "proper" armor? Because armor and fancy gadgetry are not the same things, and it's almost certainly important to note (yet again), that unless you know of a better system that provides full-body protection, we're almost certainly going to fall back on previous designs of armor (i.e., PLATE) for the actual protection, and what makes it "proper" is going to be the fancy extras.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 23, 2018, 01:12:58 am »

Honestly, I'm not sure what the issue is this time. I said patching alloys onto normal armor would be easy, and that making fancy armor with gadgets would be hard. Through logical deduction, you should be able to conclude that boring armor without gadgets falls in between.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 23, 2018, 04:00:46 am »

Brazil Jungle Base Variant B
1 Computer Core Token

The new base is hidden in the Brazillian jungles, with most of it underground as well as a decent amount of aboveground infrastructure. It has all the base essentials for an XCOM outpost to work, including small barracks for base security. But it focuses on serving as a manufacturing site and to extend XCOM's influence over brazil. Airstrips and hangars fit for Talons, Skyrangers, and anything else are put into place, with workshops capable of manufacturing XCOM equipment and vehicles.
The nature of a full-fledged XCOM outpost in Brazil should allow us the necessary influence to coordinate with inter-agency cooperation teams in the area, and if it's not a hard task (read: if it's harder than "a sealed room with slightly adjusted atmospherics") then some basic alien containment will be placed in the base.

The entire base is ran by a new computer derived from the alien computer core and the Rockslide heuristic detection algorithms. It constantly goes over data from XCOM's intelligence network and the base's sensors and analyzes it for any sign of alien activity - whether it's ground, air, espionage, or anything, then gives a compiled list of information to Command allowing for well-informed decisions. The computer also manages several once-human-manned parts of the base, decreasing space and manpower needed.

While after the fire there's very little left of the failed Argentina Airbase outpost project, we can still learn from some of our mistakes there. Like "keep backups," "regularly attend team-wide anger management sessions," and "keep goddamn backups you goddamn luddites."
Very Hard = (4 + 4 - 2) => Above Average

The Brazil Jungle is a small marvel of modern project planning and engineering. Constructed below budget and ahead of shedule, this large scale, partially underground facility contains a small industrial complex capable of equipping and maintaining a small XCOM expedition. Additional facilities support it's underground analysis system, where a captured UFO core is used to crunch incoming data to better identify suspicious alien activities.

After the TAV-1 project, there was some concern about integrating the UFO computer into various sensitive base systems, but so far the system both perfectly stable and performing better than expected. Administration is rapid and efficient, cleaning works fine, and the cantina food is notably improved compared to human managed systems. We've tested this extensively by inviting several of South America's more prominent politicians and leaders of their special forces team, which should aid in further cooperation.

Lastly, we have also included a basic Alien Containment system. It's little more than a reinforced biohazard lab, but hopefully should be able to handle less dangerous aliens.

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Revision Phase

Turn 8

Month end : Gain 1 free VP; UP or EP point

AABBCCDD

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 23, 2018, 08:16:47 am »

Yay. Rolls fell our way

As I expected result is very generic not "industry base" as some players claimed and I thank  Chiefwaffles for adding useful parts beyond "just a base"

I think upgrading inter agency cooperation teams to help us in hunting Exalt and infiltrated mimics would be a nice course of action and preferable to upgrading NOTSOFTER
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 23, 2018, 10:25:13 am »

Anti mimic training of Inter agency cooperation teams: 1 unit experience, 1 Exalt intelligence
Suspecting infiltration of enemy Mimics (also knows as skin crawlers) into Earth organizations, X-COM took effort to eradicate those out. Lacking resources, expertise and necessary for such work X-COM asked for assistance from its friends from Inter agency cooperation teams and sent its instructors to share all combat experience of fighting vs Mimics.

In addition to sending instructors X-COM offered help in supplying Inter agency cooperation teams with some key components of TAV2 (along with blueprints that allow to produce less sophisticated elements outside of X-COM) and donating part X-COM's stockpiled firearms and ammunition

Additionally, X-COM shared intelligence data on Exalt, hoping to find help in finding this mysterious 3rd side. After completion of training X-COM asked their friends in special forces to actively search for Exalt and infiltrated mimics.
(Expected mechanics effects: Unused Inter Agency Cooperation teams will give passive benefit to a chance to detect alien\Exalt activity in their region. Inter agency cooperation teams will become better in fighting aliens, especially mimics. They will be partially equipped with TAV2s.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:30:53 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 23, 2018, 10:28:43 am »

Spending an Alien Equipment token on it seems unwise.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 23, 2018, 10:35:17 am »

That result is exactly what I wanted and expected. It’s fine to be annoyed that your design didn’t get through, but please stop trying to say “I told you so” at every possible moment.

Also IAC teams aren’t useless. We just haven’t been using them because the aliens have never landed in a valid area while we also didn’t have enough transports.

Revision: Rockbreaker Missiles Mk. 2
1 Alien Equipment Token

The new missiles are just a refinement of the first generation of missiles.

The alloy use is modified so we can produce missiles without a significant investment of resources (read: don’t have to spend points on it). Stuff like just better use in the missile and not just slapping a layer of it, and only armoring the warhead - if the missile encounters plasma then it’s close enough such that we only need the warhead to survive.
In addition to the armor being focused on the core, some lessons from the small elerium power supplies in alien equipment are used to keep the power supply stable enough that accidental detonation shouldn’t be a problem.

TL;DR: Remove non-essential alloy armoring and refine still-existent armor to remove cost, use a token to fix stability issue.
It’d be nice just not having to worry about air. I’ll post/edit some more revisions (applying to the ground - pretty much just Investigatory units and the XH-3) later.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:59 am »

Yeah, we are not ahead enough in the air, let do one more action in that direction.

but please stop trying to say “I told you so” at every possible moment.
It is indeed pointless to say "I told you so" when mistakes are never admitted and learned from anyway. I'll stop doing that.

BTW my words were directed to Happery who acted like his base is a giant factory or something, when it clearly isn't.  And my offer wasn't giant barracks either

Also IAC teams aren’t useless. We just haven’t been using them because the aliens have never landed in a valid area while we also didn’t have enough transports.
We are not mis(under)using something, we are unlucky. Everything that goes wrong is a bad luck. Understood.

Spending an Alien Equipment token on it seems unwise.
Yeah, it is questionable. But I'd like to give something to our allies and such use of alien equipment makes sense.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:49 am »

Quote from: Revision Votes
Anti mimic training of Inter agency cooperation teams (2): Strongpoint, Pavellius
Rockbreaker Missiles Mk. 2 (1): Chiefwaffles

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:55 am »

It would make sense if they had additional equipment, enough to warrant it instead of just one item. Maybe some sort of additional item? It jsut feels so wrong to have so little.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 23, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »

It would make sense if they had additional equipment, enough to warrant it instead of just one item. Maybe some sort of additional item? It jsut feels so wrong to have so little.
We could give them our railgun, too.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »

I considered adding railguns, but they look far more complex to produce outside of X-COM facilities (mostly because they need Elerium and alloys) and they aren't really helpful for the main purpose of this revision: Getting help in looking for infiltrators. Also, I see it as an act of sharing some of our war trophies with our allies asking for more help in return.

I see such possible changes

1) Add railguns, keep token
2) Remove token, remove TAV
3) Remove token, keep TAV

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 76