Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This whole setup looks too damn balanced, and needs story events.

Yes, all of them!
- 15 (57.7%)
Yes, but only minor ones.
- 3 (11.5%)
Nope. Nooope.
- 2 (7.7%)
Will admin-sempai ever notice me?
- 6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: Dominions 5 - blind Round 501  (Read 49188 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 - blind Round 501
« Reply #390 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

Yeah, I've been surprised I've been doing as well as it seemed I'd been doing, so (spoiler) I didn't throw everything I had at you. Still annoying to have losses, but I know I'm not very good at the game, so it's nothing new.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Berekän

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:07 pm »

Hinnom, why? What was that? Did you just gived rights to murder me to Ur?
   I expected you to cast earthquake one or two times (why else you will wear earth boots on E4 pretender and give her ton of gems?), then go on trample rampage, aiming for rear or large monsters (you also didn't given your pretender any armor, although you surely was able to craft black plate, and there was A LOT of time to do so. Why?), to kill my pretender who will not be able to do ANYTHING to yours in hand to hand combat, despite full set of equipment (unless you are horribly unlucky, and get stunned by 5A astral shield against 17 MR few times in a row). You also bringed crusher, supposedly knowing that i can craft black bows and will aim at large monsters (so i did).
   I expected to get murdered by you. And then your pretender just sits there and spams earth elementals? And your nature mages don't cast anything useful  (like, say, vine arrow) AGAIN, preferring to spam enlarge (PLEASE, TELL ME, WHY? IT'S POINTLESS) and panic. I also seen some S2 mages, and you didn't even tried to magic duel my prophet with them. Seriously? You sit in your capital with all that horde of mages all the time, and your research seems to be worse then mine, after all that walking around and constant mageslaughter.

This battle was great (funnier for me  :P ), though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyways, now Ur goes after me and i will really most likely lose. Hinnom's capital is free for taking, though everyone close to them probably know that already.

Also, from where my sacreds got 20 morale? 15 base + 1 from bless + 1 from dominion + 2 from commander = 19. Do i miss something?

Hi,

Sorry, the answer is probably going to be boring but the truth is... I'm not a good player, I don't have that many hours under my belt and the few I have haven't been very productive  :-X I'm still severely lacking on a micro level and even some of the macro.

Also probably doesn't help that I jump from nation to nation, I don't think I've played more than twice with one.

We had good fights though!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:06 am »

You did murder each others army and then got invaded, thats the power of someone having scouts around, but yeah ouch. Equally sized armys fighting leaves everyone as a loser, sometimes its cheaper/better to bribe someone to go fight someone else.

Edit: Honestly the best lesson i learned this game is using all my gems, research mages and every single unit early one. Taking everything you have to one place and hitting someone with it work, even if you lose out on some long term potential.

Edit2: Question, during the battle in Resting Hights (140) the game started with Foul Vapors on the map, none cast it. Where did that come from?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:45:25 am by ThtblovesDF »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 18, 2018, 02:30:44 pm »

Edit2: Question, during the battle in Resting Hights (140) the game started with Foul Vapors on the map, none cast it. Where did that come from?
Telkhine have that as a start of battle spell.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2018, 05:45:35 pm »

Nice Global Collection.

I'm having my own little success story over here:

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2018, 12:54:55 am »

So acid storm does 4 ap damage to ?10%? of the battlefield each turn. That makes it on par with rain of stones, unless its something like hard to hit ethereal.

Nice Global Collection.
It has only begun. :P

Then again, there is only 4 more slots, so I guess it wont get too crazy...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:03:21 am by etgfrog »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2018, 04:06:45 am »

Tie'chi and Hinom, any of you want to play a (fuck huge) nation in Bay502?

It's higher in the research (maybe more easy to cast), costs 3 gems and is a ongoing effect.

I was told that fire and frost protection combined protects against acid damage. I was mislead.

Natural protection helps a little, but is not really enough to endure it, so this spell might always be a "everyone dies" spell, I mean what recuitable troops have more natural protection then Atlantis? And even they take damage in 50% of the hits : I

________

PS: Plz no arcane nexus

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2018, 04:20:45 am »

I'm already playing not-so-huge nation in 502  :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:26:50 am by MCreeper »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2018, 04:49:00 am »

I mean what recuitable troops have more natural protection then Atlantis? And even they take damage in 50% of the hits : I

Kappa, ofc. And while Shin has a harder time casting it, they definitely still can manage. Random indy kappa would also work, ofc.

(Semi-related: Kappa should really lose their negative land regen under the effects of Rain.)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2018, 05:13:37 am »

By the looks of the combat log of that fight, normal armor does work against acid storm. The skeletons that were there was showing protection of 5 on the rolls against acid storm's 4. The pretender chassis that was guarding that throne had a crown and the total protection value showed 6 and the rolls against acid storm was 3. The armor piercing part of it probably means it would work better against heavily armored troops but against unarmored it does worse then rain of stones.

Also, I just realized, I am capable of fielding both rain of stones and acid storm, although it wouldn't be that effective against ulm.

PS: Plz no arcane nexus
That is no where in my plans and trying to gather 150 astral gems doesn't look that appealing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:15:40 am by etgfrog »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:03 am »

Yeah its bugged, still - its supposed to act just like the combat spell that does damage armor, but doesn't. Or is this the "mild acid" ; )?

Sea of Ice would be nasty, Atlantis has no recuitables in land forts that are worth a single shit and I'd have to both research and get a arcane caster (and a lot of gems) if I want to disspell it.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:26 pm »

Yeah its bugged, still - its supposed to act just like the combat spell that does damage armor, but doesn't. Or is this the "mild acid" ; )?

Sea of Ice would be nasty, Atlantis has no recuitables in land forts that are worth a single shit and I'd have to both research and get a arcane caster (and a lot of gems) if I want to disspell it.
I did not think of that. I ignored it because it would harm me quite a bit and split my land in half.

Yomi for example would have free reign to walk east instead of only having a narrow path that goes along the coast.

I also would not be able to continue to send troops unless being ethereal allows units to ignore sea of ice, which then it would cut off my ability to send more nature mages.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2018, 03:53:26 pm »

It doesn't. I have mixed feelings on whether it would be good if it did - it'd be a huge buff for Theredos and especially Lemuria, but it would fit thematically. Generally, that's a very old spell (Dom1) and as far as I can think of, it's had no changes at all to mechanics in that time. It could do with a bit of an update.

Sea of Ice is the sort of thing that makes me wish for multi-layered maps...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2018, 06:54:24 pm »

You know, that was kind of funny, yomi went to attack a throne and their troops did more damage to them self then the enemy did to them. Meanwhile I had a moderate battle against ulm, who now is fielding an antlered shaman that is bringing serpent's blessing to counter foul vapors. I lost the battle and 330 troops, the two telkhine and the other commanders survived but ended up getting cursed, Ulm lost half of their mages due to mass flight.

In other news, TC and Hinhom are both at death's door with Hinhom turning AI last turn. Finally, I now have 5 global spells up, with the last two that went up being a bit scary.
Spoiler: Global List (click to show/hide)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2018, 04:20:57 am »

Well Nature is like the best magic path for all that, so all the more power to you.

Looking forward to having a look at the turn, once I can.

Was that the first battle you lost btw?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35